As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]ter's Block

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    the b in jordan b peterson stands for benzos

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I saw the other day someone say the idea of colleges as an outlet for a diverse range of opinions is like grocery stores being an outlet for a diverse range of expiring produce

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    What is more western than brutalism

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »
    Don't talk to me like that EM, I'm gatekeeping this conversation until you've finally read Adorno

and if you've read Adorno recently without my knowledge or permission I'm adding Debord to the list

whenever i think about reading really heady bullshit i remember this
    On the Birth of a Son
    BY SU TUNG-PO
    TRANSLATED BY ARTHUR WALEY

Families when a child is born
    Hope it will turn out intelligent.
    I, through intelligence
    Having wrecked my whole life,
    Only hope that the baby will prove
    Ignorant and stupid.
    Then he'll be happy all his days
    And grow into a cabinet minister.

I had assumed this poem was contemporary, but upon looking it up learned that this dude was 11th century

omg what a hero

MrMister on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'm sad that the emoji gave that one away.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    That was unexpected and pleasant!

After the work emergency died down (someone bumped a fiber optic cable, no big deal), I sat down to play Smash Bros, fully anticipating buying the fighter pass.

Only to discover I already had! So I didn't have to do anything! Min Min!!!!

... hits like a TRUCK for the record. That slow-ass wrecking ball just murders bad AI.

W9PUhZhh.jpg

So it continues...

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I touched on this a lil in the BLM thread but I fucking despise the "Western Traditionalist" fetishism that's become the new front in fash propaganda

Jordan Peterson, Western_Trad, Sargon of Akkad, Cernovich, and all the tendrils of TPUSA

It's just such an openly disingenuous movement, one that very frankly just lies and moralizes (in the stale guise of rationalism and "objectivity") about various philosophical, aesthetic, historical, lit-critical, you-name-it-aspects of the culture industry. They are so openly dishonest about their premises; so smug and condescending, so total in their complete desecration of their own fucking made-up "western culture" (these people conflate the values and aesthetics of late-medieval German architecture with French impressionism with Neoclassicalism with x with y with z)

The whole fucking right wing is so intellectually bankrupt and they think they're fucking geniuses

I mean I guess they are in the sense that they're making boatloads of money off the grift

a fascist movement constructing a false tradition out of a pastiche of half-remembered and occasionally fabricated vignettes about the past?

well who has ever heard of such a thing

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Someone post the hot statue

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    ok googling "hot statue" to make a shitpost was a mistake

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

It's called the Wicker Man

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

It's called Burning Man

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    that is disgustingly los angeles

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    What completely triggered me was this tweet

The level of ignorance and misinformation necessary to promote this kind of thinking is so profound on so many levels and in so many different fields that you could teach a course on how stupid this tweet is

The best reply to this is just a photo of a hideous identical single family homes in a suburban subdivision.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    What completely triggered me was this tweet

The level of ignorance and misinformation necessary to promote this kind of thinking is so profound on so many levels and in so many different fields that you could teach a course on how stupid this tweet is

The best reply to this is just a photo of a hideous identical single family homes in a suburban subdivision.

With the stone only on the front façade and siding everywhere else

• Options
    my parents moved into a new subdivision recently and they were one of the first people to buy but apparently there are all these rules like your floor plan and color scheme can't be the same as a lot next to yours and only a certain number could choose the faux brick facade and it's just all nonsense

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    i9Z9X6hl.jpg

Coinage on
  • Options
    rirz9grktmh6.jpeg

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    China's seas of gigantic identical housing structures are because they had to throw up like 100 buildings at once in like zero time to accommodate millions of workers shifting around for a planned economy that was booming. There literally wasn't time to make it pretty because their economy was growing so fast.

That "leftwing" architecture photo is more like economic stretchmarks than anything else. You'd think they'd fetishize it if anything.

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »
    rirz9grktmh6.jpeg

my garage looks like this so her front porch can look like this

• Options
    My god, Amy, that looks so... incomplete!

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    i9Z9X6hh.jpg

I like this ironically because the original McDs were pretty minimalist

xd540ymzi4ql.jpeg

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Facebook popped this up for me to advertise a new kickstarter game.

... Vanilla made it large.
    034msdwzw7u8.png

Holy shit do I love that dress and that hair!

Athenor on
  • Options
    the bizarre triple eave

• Options
    the bizarre triple eave

Ain't dropping no eaves around here, no sir.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    In Soviet Russia, love finds you!
    The key subplot is the drab uniformity of Brezhnev-era public architecture. This setting is explained in a humorous animated prologue, in which architects are overruled by politicians and red tape (director and animator - Vitaliy Peskov). As a result, the identical, functional but unimaginative multistory apartment buildings found their way into every city, town, and suburb across the former Soviet Union. These buildings are completely uniform in every detail including the door key of each apartment.[1]

Following their annual tradition, a group of friends meet at a banya (a traditional public "sauna" bath) in Moscow to celebrate New Year's Eve. The friends all get very drunk toasting the upcoming marriage of the central male character, Zhenya Lukashin (Andrei Myagkov) to Galya (Olga Naumenko). After the bath, one of the friends, Pavlik (Aleksandr Shirvindt), has to catch a plane to Leningrad. Zhenya, on the other hand, is supposed to go home to celebrate New Year's Eve with his fiancée. Both Zhenya and Pavlik pass out. The remaining friends cannot remember which person from their group is supposed to catch the plane -thus they mistakenly send Zhenya on the plane instead of Pavlik.

Zhenya spends the entire flight sleeping on the shoulder of his annoyed seatmate, played by the director himself (Ryazanov) in a brief comedic cameo appearance. The seatmate helps Zhenya get off the plane in Leningrad. Zhenya wakes up in the Leningrad airport, believing he is still in Moscow. He stumbles into a taxi and, still quite drunk, gives the driver his address. It turns out that in Leningrad there is a street with the same name (3rd Builders' street), with a building at his address which looks exactly like Zhenya's. The key fits in the door of the apartment with the same number (as alluded to in the introductory narration, "...building standard apartments with standard locks"). Inside, even the furniture is nearly identical to that of Zhenya's apartment. Zhenya is too drunk to notice any minor differences, and goes to sleep.

Later, the real tenant, Nadya Shevelyova (Barbara Brylska), arrives home to find a strange man sleeping in her bed. To make matters worse, Nadya’s fiancé, Ippolit (Yuri Yakovlev), arrives before Nadya can convince Zhenya to get up and leave. Ippolit becomes furious, refuses to believe Zhenya and Nadya's explanations, and storms out. Zhenya leaves to get back to Moscow but circumstances make him return repeatedly. Nadya wants to get rid of him as soon as possible, but there are no flights to Moscow until the next morning. Additionally, Zhenya tries repeatedly to call Moscow and explain to Galya what has happened. Eventually, he does contact her, but she is furious and hangs up on his call. Ippolit also calls Nadya's apartment and hears Zhenya answer. Although Zhenya is trying to be available to receive potential calls from Galya, Ippolit also refuses to accept the truth of the situation. It seems more and more clear that Zhenya and Nadya are the only two people who understand the night's circumstances.

Thus, Zhenya and Nadya are compelled to spend New Year's Eve together. At first, they continue to treat each other with animosity, but gradually their behaviour softens and the two fall in love. In the morning, they feel that everything that has happened to them was a delusion, and they make the difficult decision to part. With a heavy heart, Zhenya returns to Moscow. Meanwhile, Nadya reconsiders everything and, deciding that she might have let her chance at happiness slip away, takes a plane to Moscow to find Zhenya. She has no difficulty finding him as their addresses are the same.

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    My god, Amy, that looks so... incomplete!

It’s super common in middle-class neighborhoods around Dallas. Or the slightly more pricey, “irregular stone façade with ordinary brick sides.”

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    rirz9grktmh6.jpeg

How are the schools?

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2020
    MrMister wrote: »
    Don't talk to me like that EM, I'm gatekeeping this conversation until you've finally read Adorno

and if you've read Adorno recently without my knowledge or permission I'm adding Debord to the list

whenever i think about reading really heady bullshit i remember this
    On the Birth of a Son
    BY SU TUNG-PO
    TRANSLATED BY ARTHUR WALEY

Families when a child is born
    Hope it will turn out intelligent.
    I, through intelligence
    Having wrecked my whole life,
    Only hope that the baby will prove
    Ignorant and stupid.
    Then he'll be happy all his days
    And grow into a cabinet minister.

I had assumed this poem was contemporary, but upon looking it up learned that this dude was 11th century

omg what a hero

both chinese and japanese poetry traditions are filled with takedowns of the government dating back hundreds of years

it fucking rules

Vanguard on
  • Options
    Deebaser wrote: »
    rirz9grktmh6.jpeg

How are the schools?

Private, Christian, and unaccredited.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    rirz9grktmh6.jpeg

*Squint* What porch?

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    take this gem railing against what i'll call "hotel art" by kobayashi issa (translated by robert hass)

Writing shit about new snow
    for the rich
    is not art.

• Options
    Man, the OG McDonald’s were built perfectly for the quarantine

Multiple serving windows
    No indoor seating
    Walk or drive up only

• Options
    edited June 2020
    take this gem railing against what i'll call "hotel art" by kobayashi issa (translated by robert hass)

for the rich
    is not art.

Tell that to the dead, coke-riddled body of Thomas Kinkade

Atomika on
  • Options
    =
    Man, the OG McDonald’s were built perfectly for the quarantine

Multiple serving windows
    No indoor seating
    Walk or drive up only

nice quarantine haiku (don't talk to me about the number 17)

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular

for the rich
    is not art.

This is incredible

• Options
    ooh duolingo has finnish now

dare i?

[finnish for dare i?]

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    ooh duolingo has finnish now

dare i?

[finnish for dare i?]

Jackson Crawford has started putting up a series on learning Old Norse up on his channel.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I thought about Finnish Duolingo too but Control taught me that 90% of Finnish is just appending "perkele" to every sentence

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    i9Z9X6hl.jpg

Wait, isn't that second one an old pizza hut?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
This discussion has been closed.