As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3 never] G3 2021: The Great Gerstmann Garage Show

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Not technically E3 related, but yeah, a pause on game news is a thing now.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    urahonky on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I had genuinely forgotten that had happened because of this hell we call 2020.

• Options
    I had genuinely forgotten that had happened because of this hell we call 2020.

I completely forgot that my youngest daughter had surgery in January. I would have bet my life that it was last year. January feels so long ago.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Spotted elsewhere, Konami also decided to join in.

Oh, hmm, the tweet is gone. I wonder why?

RjB5u8h.png

• Options
    Wow.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    #FucKonami about covers it i think.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Generally pretty useful pc game news place Rock Paper Shotgun is doing a media blackout for 24 hours as a show of solidarity.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/06/02/black-lives-matter/

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Wow.

This isn't even the worst deleted tweet a game company has done so far - in a race to the bottom, a Quantic Dream co-founder name-dropped his Black-power-iconography-appropriating CYOA game, Detroit: Become Human at the end of his pithy solidarity statement.

Which, given their headass PR record, seems par for the course.

• Options
    Everybody getting out of the way of the protests, it seems.

Could you imagine if E3 hadn't been canceled.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Ya pretty easily actually.

It would be just like the E3 that happened after the Pulse shooting.

There would be a bunch of lapel pins and brief statements about just how sad this all is before showing off Battlefield: Hardline 2 or some equally tone deaf shit.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Sony has rescheduled their PS5 reveal for this Thursday.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Sony has rescheduled their PS5 reveal for this Thursday.

this is kicking off in about 30 minutes, streams are live already with a placeholder splash screen. an update to the announcement blog apparently recommends watching with headphones to get a feel for Sony's new audio tech.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    https://2020.e3recap.com/

Includes a drop down menu showing the known conferences and when they're happening, and a grid of all the trailers available. You can filter by platform, release date, and even which conference the videos are from. Kinda neat way to keep track of the mess that is... whatever e3 is this year.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    https://2020.e3recap.com/

Includes a drop down menu showing the known conferences and when they're happening, and a grid of all the trailers available. You can filter by platform, release date, and even which conference the videos are from. Kinda neat way to keep track of the mess that is... whatever e3 is this year.

Xbox naming their May event "20/20" is pretty hysterical.

• Options
    Ubisoft's thing begins in a few hours.

Devolver did their thing yesterday, and it was a hoot as always. They made a game about themselves.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    If you're like me and wanted to log into Uplay to get the free copy of Watch Dogs 2 offered during the Ubi conference, looks like right now their login is down so we're out of luck.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    UPlay servers are getting slammed.

What are the odds they just give everybody the free unlockable items? You have to watch 40 minutes of the show logged in to get a Valhalla axe, and the presentation is only like 45 minutes long.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    UPlay servers are getting slammed.

What are the odds they just give everybody the free unlockable items? You have to watch 40 minutes of the show logged in to get a Valhalla axe, and the presentation is only like 45 minutes long.

The odds are in fact 100%

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I can't find a Watch_Dogs thread, but I remain disappointed at the tone/direction of Legion. Like, being able to recruit people and to play as them is cool. Surfing on a giant drone in order to escape cyberpolice? Completely jumping the shark.

If it was its own IP I wouldn't mind so much, but part of the appeal of the series for me is that it's essentially modern day, with a single sci-fi caveat (ctOS).

• Options
    I'm pretty sure people have already been experimenting with ridable drone platforms. Like that might honestly be something that exists in reasonable functioning order in the next 5-10 years.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I'm pretty sure people have already been experimenting with ridable drone platforms. Like that might honestly be something that exists in reasonable functioning order in the next 5-10 years.

They have, but none of them have gone anywhere because:

1. Liability
    2. Are you really going to trust the average person to fly one of them?

Keep in mind, this is in relation to what are essentially air taxis... enclosed quadrotor vehicles. The trailer showed our not-Wrench (character from Watch_Dogs 2 that Ubisoft decided should be the basis for Legion's general aesthetic) standing on top of something like a slightly futuristic DJI Phantom while getting shot at, and somehow surfing on it through traffic while then doing a radical jump-flip on top of a bus when it crashes into something.

It was dumb.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Ubisoft "we've got open world games, things to collect, things to see, cosmetics to purchase, oh and some mobile games."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Yeah I can't really drum up enough interest to watch any of the videos. I think Far Cry 4 broke me and I've never played Watch Dogs.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I can't find a Watch_Dogs thread, but I remain disappointed at the tone/direction of Legion. Like, being able to recruit people and to play as them is cool. Surfing on a giant drone in order to escape cyberpolice? Completely jumping the shark.

If it was its own IP I wouldn't mind so much, but part of the appeal of the series for me is that it's essentially modern day, with a single sci-fi caveat (ctOS).

Yeah I don't know how they went from Watch Dogs 2 to....this. The entire tone of it seems completely off, and I have serious doubts they're going to be able to pull off "Play as literally anyone" and have a coherent story.

And their stupid movie before the actual gameplay appropriated the First They Came poem from the Holocaust and it was extremely gross.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Ya as somebody who really enjoyed Watch Dogs 2, I have zero interest in Legion.

The best part of 2 was the characters that made up your Dedsec cell and getting to know them and see what happens to them as the story progresses.

The whole "you can recruit and play as anybody" sounds interesting, but I can't actually see myself getting as invested in a random NPC that is slotted in to one of a handful of personality types compared to a bespoke character who was created and designed for a specific story.

I really enjoyed Marcus. Having his followup be random grandmas and construction workers, while maybe funny, feels like a let down.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Watch dogs as a franchise hasn't had any consistency. As someone who actually liked the first game, the second was a huge departure from that, and now the third is even further. No biggie, Ubisoft games as I joked above are pretty much similar with different paint.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Finding out "you can recruit anyone" but then it turns out every NPC basically falls into a limited number of fighter classes kinda makes that feature less and less interesting by the day. And logistically, how many voices and lines of dialogue can they have?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Finding out "you can recruit anyone" but then it turns out every NPC basically falls into a limited number of fighter classes kinda makes that feature less and less interesting by the day. And logistically, how many voices and lines of dialogue can they have?

According to Ars Technica, not all that many

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, I've read previews that indicate the NPCs you recruit aren't that different from each other in function, either.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yeah, I've read previews that indicate the NPCs you recruit aren't that different from each other in function, either.

Yeah they're functionally just different classes.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Oof.

I didn't mind the first one. It wasn't great - it was laughably grim with the most generic protagonist - but it wasn't bad.

I loved 2. The Dedsec cell, all of them, were great. I'd be down for more adventures with them.

Legion feels like the Watch_Dogs version of Mirror's Edge: Catalyst. Instead of a grounded modern day/near future adventure with a single conceit (ctOS/underground parkour couriers), it's now pure cyberpunk for no real reason.

Like, I can't see the San Francisco Dedsec cell living in the world Legion portrays. It might as well (and probably should) be its own thing.

• Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

According to Ars Technica, not all that many

The Giant Bomb staff said they asked during the demo, but the demo person was a professional demoer and not someone who actually worked on the game, so they said they didn't know the answer.

But "not many" sounds about right.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    The only way I can reckon the whole “play as anyone” is that you got some kind of Syndicate style persuasion ray. Which doesn’t seem like the type of thing good guys would have.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I don't understand why they never did the assassin's creed brotherhood thing of recruiting individuals again. I assume legion won't be that since saving people from instances of violence won't make sense for the ones that are embedded in those organizations, plus if they are being recruited for their skills they won't need from the ground up training.

It's just weird. I liked the idea when I first heard it, but not if all the people just boil down to different variations of generic archetypes.

• Options
    In case anyone was wondering what was up with Skull & Bones, aka "Assassin's Creed Black Flag without the Assassin's Creed," it was rebooted last year to a live model a la Fortnite.

• Options
    Fractured_VeilFractured_Veil Registered User regular
    as I get older, I just want my media to offer me a little bit of hope. it doesn't have to be upbeat or happy or even hopeful, just give me SOMETHING goddammit. 'people are shit and there's no point to anything' is something i get enough of in my day-to-day, thank you very much

It seems like 2020 has done its best to spread the misery evenly that's for sure.

Survive and thrive in the deadly wilds of Maui 2122.
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    If I can’t recruit a grandma hacker in Watch Dogs then what is even the point

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    In what's probably the last not-E3 thing unless Nintendo finally does a first-party direct, here's a bunch of stuff from Gamescom.

https://www.techradar.com/news/gamescom-opening-night-live-2020-live-blog

Not a lot of brand-new announcements, but there's a lot of new trailers.

• Options
    Nintendo's not-E3 thing is, apparently, a metric fuckton of Mario.

https://youtu.be/s_UcjEq2Dgk

Between that and Pikmin 3, it's looking like holiday 2020 Nintendo is a world of ports. Oh, and Super Mario battle royale, and real-life Mario Kart.

This discussion has been closed.