Options

[Sysadmin] Routing to null

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Our email (mental health org in Canada) has a secure TSL/SSL connection to an upstream provider hosted by the govt. When we send email to certain domains, it's all handled within that system. Works fine, doesn't cost us anything. Staff can email the local hospitals and discuss clients which is crucial because we have staff onsite at the local hospitals. I just had to jump through some hoops and install a couple certs and setup a connector on our on prem Exchange. I have to renew the cert before August actually, now that I think about it.

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Worst time to learn about support for a product had ended? After you uninstall Office 2010 to update them to 2019 and you find out that 2019 isn't supported on Win 7 anymore.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Serious vulnerability in Windows DNS server, patch your DNS servers.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Preface: I got promoted a while ago and part of my new job is quoting, ordering, setting up and installing new computers.

OH MY GAWWWD. I spent a last 5 hours trying to install Global Shop on 2 new computer a client ordered from us. The program had been updated since their tech had created the install documentation. I was trying to follow it as best as I could but the client install instruction were 5 pages long and became unusable after the first page. I guessed and tried and guessed some more but all attempts ended in failure. I had to pull in their old tech so spent another 2 hours fucking around with it. Finally he figured out what I had done wrong and was able to get it working on both machines. Turns out there are several new steps that just weren't in the documentation and a many more that were just wrong now.

• Options
    The Office patch released yesterday has completely fucked up something with Outlook. Many clients calling in reporting it. The fix is to roll back the version: https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/hrq0mn/outlook_immediately_crashing_on_open_after/fy5nnx2/

Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Yep. I got all the calls when I was at lunch. Good times.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    I spent about an hour working on this around lunchtime today. If you have a patch management system, you can set them to the deferred channel.

CMD.exe (right click and run as admin)

Then copy and paste each command hitting enter after each one:

CD C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun

OfficeC2RClient.exe /changesetting Channel=Deferred

OfficeC2RClient.exe /update user

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Nosf wrote: »
    WELL THIS IS NEW AND SHOCKING INFORMATION:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/13/upshot/coronavirus-response-fax-machines.html

FAX IS APPARENTLY TERRIBLE?!

There are other alternatives but none are as ubiquitous as the fax machine.

There's also "Direct" (formally direct messaging) that is basically email with certificates because TLS/SSL requirement on email servers was too onerous they had to design a whole new system... yet almost no one has it or uses it other than hospitals because it's $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Then you've got things like cisco and HIPAA email systems that are basically hosted pages with SSL that mimic email for $$$$$$$ instead of Direct's price tag.

All this because people can't figure out TLS for email servers and think HIPAA is going to sue them into oblivion if they send PHI over email.

Also at one point fax machines were still disaster proof because of analog phone lines and I don't think most people know that advantage is gone.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Seidkona wrote: »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/13/upshot/coronavirus-response-fax-machines.html

There's also "Direct" (formally direct messaging) that is basically email with certificates because TLS/SSL requirement on email servers was too onerous they had to design a whole new system... yet almost no one has it or uses it other than hospitals because it's $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Then you've got things like cisco and HIPAA email systems that are basically hosted pages with SSL that mimic email for $$$$$$$ instead of Direct's price tag.

All this because people can't figure out TLS for email servers and think HIPAA is going to sue them into oblivion if they send PHI over email.

Also at one point fax machines were still disaster proof because of analog phone lines and I don't think most people know that advantage is gone.

And immune to inline wire tapping (without a warrant)

which hasn't been the case in nearly 20 years since that shit got pushed onto fiber networks

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I'm pretty happy that my company hates faxing. The employees still like doing it, but all of upper management frowns heavily on it and pushes on our vendors/customers to stop using it.

Last time our fax server died, the CEO said, "Yeah so you can slow walk fixing that if you'd like, I don't mind, people need to ask for email addresses."

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Myiagros wrote: »
    Worst time to learn about support for a product had ended? After you uninstall Office 2010 to update them to 2019 and you find out that 2019 isn't supported on Win 7 anymore.

If you're still on Win 7 you've failed at life.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Or you're using up to date industry standard medical imaging software.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Or you're using up to date industry standard medical imaging software.

And yet failing at life.

• Options
    Don't step foot in hospitals or old printing press shops because that's not even remotely as outlandish as the Windows 3.1 machines I was servicing in 2010.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Don't step foot in hospitals or old printing press shops because that's not even remotely as outlandish as the Windows 3.1 machines I was servicing in 2010.

Don't forget ATM's!

2011 I was still working at a bank and their ATM's were running on Windows 98.

• Options
    Yeah the ones I remember were on like the very first release of Win95.

Who needs security when your protocol is so obscure nothing else can work with it?

Really surprised these companies don't just roll their own linux distro and never have to license or worry about maintenance again.

• Options

Who needs security when your protocol is so obscure nothing else can work with it?

Really surprised these companies don't just roll their own linux distro and never have to license or worry about maintenance again.

That would take upfront money for a long term solution.

So no.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options

I mean, you'd still have to do maintenance, but it'd certainly be a hell of a lot easier.

I will say though, that while I like to sing the praises of Valve pushing into linux territory, I honestly cannot believe for a single second that it worked out for them in the end.

Worked out for me great, though!

• Options
    Thawmus wrote: »

I mean, you'd still have to do maintenance, but it'd certainly be a hell of a lot easier.

I will say though, that while I like to sing the praises of Valve pushing into linux territory, I honestly cannot believe for a single second that it worked out for them in the end.

Worked out for me great, though!

Yeah much less than what happens on Win3.1 and 98 shitboxes though.

• Options
    Okay, question for Windows sysadmins here, and I apologize in advance, because the subject is going to be:

Laptops

We just bought a windows laptop for one of our users, much to my dismay and chagrin. One of the core problems I'm having with it, is that whenever it locks the screen, or I log the current user out, it disconnects from WiFi, and stays disconnected, until someone reconnects it manually.

A. WTF mate?

B. Can this be changed? I'm googling, I'm looking through device manager, I'm not finding real solutions. Lots of stuff about the sleep and hibernate settings, which okay if the problem was it goes to sleep that's fine, but the problem is that the lock screen=disconnect. This is wild behavior to me.

This behavior makes it almost impossible to support remotely and I just can't wait for them to complain about their sessions stopping every time they go take a pee.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    That is... not standard behavior.

There's some idiotic power saving feature on the device driver level.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Okay, question for Windows sysadmins here, and I apologize in advance, because the subject is going to be:

Laptops

We just bought a windows laptop for one of our users, much to my dismay and chagrin. One of the core problems I'm having with it, is that whenever it locks the screen, or I log the current user out, it disconnects from WiFi, and stays disconnected, until someone reconnects it manually.

A. WTF mate?

B. Can this be changed? I'm googling, I'm looking through device manager, I'm not finding real solutions. Lots of stuff about the sleep and hibernate settings, which okay if the problem was it goes to sleep that's fine, but the problem is that the lock screen=disconnect. This is wild behavior to me.

This behavior makes it almost impossible to support remotely and I just can't wait for them to complain about their sessions stopping every time they go take a pee.

Are you sure it's actually the lock screen/logout and not after a certain period of time that happens to coincide with a timeout? If they manually log out, does it automatically disconnect?

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    That is... not standard behavior.

There's some idiotic power saving feature on the device driver level.

Okay, good to know, that helps!

• Options
    I've never in my life seen that.

Maybe if it was going to sleep but even then you'd notice it.

• Options

Laptops

A. WTF mate?

Are you sure it's actually the lock screen/logout and not after a certain period of time that happens to coincide with a timeout? If they manually log out, does it automatically disconnect?

I'm sure, yeah. If I ctrl+alt+del -> lock or if I manually log out, WiFi disconnects as well.

Few minutes after writing that:

I ran it through the Dell updates a bit ago, but now I'm running it through Windows updates (again) and there was another update, and now it seems like it's not exhibiting the behavior? I just did the ctrl+alt+del -> lock and it didn't disconnect.

Now to try other things and see if it's done being terrible.

• Options
    oh yeah if the updates fix it then might've been a straight up bug

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    it still disconnects on logout, which is still way less than ideal, but at least it doesn't disconnect when it locks anymore.

But now Dell has more updates. Doesn't seem to be one of those things where Windows and Dell keep installing their own version of the driver (though I remember dealing with that a few years ago), but we'll see.

Bleh! I should just install Pop!OS and let god sort'em out.

• Options
    oh man you're bringing up repressed memories of dealing with this exact bullshit back when I had a bunch of Dell lappies to manage

this might actually be something you can fix from inside the BIOS

• Options
    Backup, format, reinstall windows, run windows updates, download and run dell command update, reinstall apps, transfer data back.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    it still disconnects on logout, which is still way less than ideal, but at least it doesn't disconnect when it locks anymore.

But now Dell has more updates. Doesn't seem to be one of those things where Windows and Dell keep installing their own version of the driver (though I remember dealing with that a few years ago), but we'll see.

By default, when first connecting to a network, PSK wifi profiles should be created as an "All User Profile". And if it is an all user wifi profile, it should stay connected even after logout. It's possible the wifi profile was instead saved only for the current user which would make it disconnect when logged out. Open a command prompt and run "netsh wlan show profiles" to check.

If you are using user account auth, then disconnecting when the account logs out is normal. In that case if you want pre-logon connectivity, you'd need to use machine certificate authentication so the computer can log into the wifi itself, not the user.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Tyvm Stew, I'll take a look at that tomorrow, explains a lot.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

To be fair, systems like Cisco Ironport, Mimecast, Zix, etc that hold your email in a web portal are device-agnostic* and are user-friendly enough for the 50% or so of users who aren't complete idiots but just mild idiots

(*) cert-secured email requires you to install SSL certs on your device, which sucks when you have lots of computers/phones or switch devices or support anybody who does

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020

By default, when first connecting to a network, PSK wifi profiles should be created as an "All User Profile". And if it is an all user wifi profile, it should stay connected even after logout. It's possible the wifi profile was instead saved only for the current user which would make it disconnect when logged out. Open a command prompt and run "netsh wlan show profiles" to check.

If you are using user account auth, then disconnecting when the account logs out is normal. In that case if you want pre-logon connectivity, you'd need to use machine certificate authentication so the computer can log into the wifi itself, not the user.

My EAP-TLS WiFi network is pushed out by Group Policy as a computer setting, which means it gets applied to the machine, not the user

:cool:

git gud my dudes

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    So fun story time about DBAs.

Last year we finally got migrated from MySQL 5.0 to 5.7. I'd been pressing for it for years, but our infrastructure team didn't have any MySQL DBAs and they didn't prioritize it. Once I finally got traction they had all kinds of technical issues, had some org and personnel changes, had to roll-back once or twice, but finally got all this done successfully last summer. Finally.

Back in March I got notification that August 6th they were targeting full decommissioning of all MySQL 5.x servers and migrating everyone to MySQL 8. The notification said we would be contacted by our DBAs with more info.

Didn't hear anything in April.

Didn't hear anything in May.

Didn't hear anything in June, so I put in a ticket. Finally the DBA I worked with the first time around got back to me a week before vacation that he had copied over our development, training, and production instances for testing. Couldn't connect from our development app server, so he had to spend a week figuring out all the things he had misconfigured. At the end of that week I was going on vacation for two...was literally working with him until 5:00 in the afternoon holding his hand.

Get back this past Monday and he's asked if he can schedule the migration of our training environment for later this week and Production environment for sometime next week before I've even looked at our Dev environment.

I just can't even deal with these sorts of idiots. Even if everything was migrated right in the Development environment and up and working perfectly, we aren't going to have a 10+ hour migration downtime without giving our user community a two week notification (they have research participants filling out surveys at all hours). And we haven't even successfully migrated our Training environment to determine if they are going to fuck something up with that semi-live environment. Which is what happened with the 5.0 -> 5.7 migration.

Now that DBA is bitching and riding my ass because I haven't finished testing the first week back from vacation, after taking three months (and me inquiring) to do anything in the first place. I just don't get these people - either it's critical and important or it isn't.

That's one of my more annoying situations this week. Thank god it's Friday.

• Options
    Feral wrote: »

My EAP-TLS WiFi network is pushed out by Group Policy as a computer setting, which means it gets applied to the machine, not the user

git gud my dudes

How do they get the initial policy?

• Options
    edited July 2020
    fucking drafts

git gud my dudes

What's Group Policy?

But in all seriousness I'm now realizing after Stew's post that this is because we use WPA Enterprise with radius auth, and isn't even centric to Windows, I just haven't noticed it until now I guess?!? And most of our laptop users are at home with them where their WiFi is very obviously without radius auth so I've not run against this much at all.

So basically I can either create a personal psk SSID and connect to that as an all-user wifi profile, or I can figure out machine certs. Not super opposed to either of those options.

Thawmus on
  • Options
    fucking drafts

git gud my dudes

What's Group Policy?

But in all seriousness I'm now realizing after Stew's post that this is because we use WPA Enterprise with radius auth, and isn't even centric to Windows, I just haven't noticed it until now I guess?!? And most of our laptop users are at home with them where their WiFi is very obviously without radius auth so I've not run against this much at all.

So basically I can either create a personal psk SSID and connect to that as an all-user wifi profile, or I can figure out machine certs. Not super opposed to either of those options.

Oh.

Oh my god.

Just on a whim, went back and looked at the documentation I wrote when I built our Unifi/Freeradius server.

I literally documented that this was a thing and how and why we'd need to start using machine certs down the road to avoid this, and maybe even drop user/pass authentication for company-owned-devices.

Clearly they should fire me and then get in a time machine and hire that guy.

• Options
    I'll never understand why people use their work email for all kinds of personal things such as house insurance or bank information.

• Options
    1 hour, 15 minutes, waiting to speak to Sage tech support about a file that can't update to the new release version. Absolute terrible support as I've called them 3 days in a row now and requested a call back and never received one.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    I'll never understand why people use their work email for all kinds of personal things such as house insurance or bank information.

Because firstname.lastname@company.com is much more professional looking than ponyfucker6969@aol.com

At my work, it is even more prevalent because we block personal email from the work network.

This discussion has been closed.