Options

[Webcomics]? In this economy?

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    My take is that the loss symbol with the center gutterlines included is overly complex and doesn't reflect how people see the meme. 7 lines. 1-2-2-2 No more is needed. I'm disappointed that the inferior 9 line symbol has somehow become the minimalist version.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Still the best take on loss and the meaning of CAD in the greater culture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TebCHHCw9rY

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Darmok and Jalad, at Tenagra.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

just a reminder that towards the end of the video there's a bit that is... somewhat NSFW

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    My take is that the loss symbol with the center gutterlines included is overly complex and doesn't reflect how people see the meme. 7 lines. 1-2-2-2 No more is needed. I'm disappointed that the inferior 9 line symbol has somehow become the minimalist version.

While I agree it’s not as visually clean as it could be, the intent of that particular format is all the lines elegantly connecting. It also turns the suggestion of a 2x2 grid into a hard requirement.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »

just a reminder that towards the end of the video there's a bit that is... somewhat NSFW

It's blurred out! But yes.

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I refuse to watch a 34 minute video about Loss. I haven't fallen that far, yet.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    I refuse to watch a 34 minute video about Loss. I haven't fallen that far, yet.

It's less about Loss and more about "gamer culture" in general, how CAD fits into it (and Penny Arcade for that matter), and why people reacted to Loss the way they did.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    It's more about CAD as a whole and gamers in general

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Yeah, like a lot of good video essays (and essays in general), it uses a bold title/thesis statement to make you think it's about one thing and then kinda sneakily makes itself about something else while using the original idea to make that point. c.f. Lindsay Ellis and the Hobbit movies less being about why the Hobbit movies are bad and more tearing into Hollywood's accounting/licensing/labor practices (which also happen to be major reasons by the Hobbit movies are bad).

Shadowen on
  • Options
    It ALSO boasts a legitimate feminist critique of The Room. And it's not just game culture, but culture as a whole. It's quite good!

• Options
    pentium166pentium166 Registered User regular
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    pentium166 wrote: »

That wasn't ending any other way.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User, Moderator mod
    Speaking of endings, Schlock Mercenary concluded today after 7348 consecutive daily updates.

Man, my morning webcomic read is going to feel weird for awhile.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Speaking of endings, Schlock Mercenary concluded today after 7348 consecutive daily updates.

I'm having very strong feelings that are hard to fully process about this. I picked it up like 15 or so years ago and kept up with it ever since. It's also really the only webcomic that ever stuck with me for an extended time.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »

I'm having very strong feelings that are hard to fully process about this. I picked it up like 15 or so years ago and kept up with it ever since. It's also really the only webcomic that ever stuck with me for an extended time.

It also like...never actually had a bad stretch in there. Some arcs are better than others, early artwork is rough and jokes were a bit more rote (the way all webcomics were at the time), but the consistent quality for that long a stretch is nuts.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    expendable wrote: »

It also like...never actually had a bad stretch in there. Some arcs are better than others, early artwork is rough and jokes were a bit more rote (the way all webcomics were at the time), but the consistent quality for that long a stretch is nuts.

Yeah, I don't ever recall a point where I was ever all "ugh, we get it, just move on already" or anything of that nature. Even when I read through all the books again.

And the Planet Mercenary RPG is a fun system too.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    In this week's Necropolis, a moment arrives.

99b4kjV.jpg

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular

New Sleepless Domain character poll results!
    Jeez, Don't you know it's impossible for characters in the top 10 to die! She was so close!

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    In this week's Necropolis, a moment arrives.

99b4kjV.jpg

I love how her expression conveys the difference in weight between murdering somebody as an invincible, unbeatable God and stabbing somebody as a desperate, fearful child.

Necropolis is really good.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    nsf9co1xianm.jpg
    Gunnerkrigg Court
    contains some faces.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    490c97580axy.jpg
    Penny Arcade

They knew that trailer was gonna get me excited for a Brutal Legend 2 before crushing my dreams.

klemming on
  • Options
  • Options
    sx5x6sm3czi0.png
    Skin Horse

I love the evil turtles.

• Options
    klemming wrote: »
    490c97580axy.jpg
    Penny Arcde

They knew that trailer was gonna get me excited for a Brutal Legend 2 before crushing my dreams.

I understand their talk about the Halo trailer, the whole thing felt.....

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Game fans: "60 FPS it's just 60 FPS forever, 60 frames and their adventures, forever a hundred years, 60 and frames running around... and 60 frames time all day long forever - a hundred times 60 frames per second dotcom, every minute 60 frames, dot com"
    Also game fans: "Why these textures not very good now?"

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    Game fans: "60 FPS it's just 60 FPS forever, 60 frames and their adventures, forever a hundred years, 60 and frames running around... and 60 frames time all day long forever - a hundred times 60 frames per second dotcom, every minute 60 frames, dot com"

Most of use cant really tell the difference between 60 and 30 as long as its consistent but if you say its less than 60 heads will roll

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

Most of use cant really tell the difference between 60 and 30 as long as its consistent but if you say its less than 60 heads will roll

https://www.nerfnow.com/comic/457

• Options

I just adjust to whatever framerate it is, I don't even notice after about ten minutes playing. Like, OoT's framerate is abysmal (20? 25?) but I can't even see it after leaving the first area.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    nsf9co1xianm.jpg
    Gunnerkrigg Court
    contains some faces.

8YXuKHt.jpg

• Options
    statlerstatler Registered User regular
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    nsf9co1xianm.jpg
    Gunnerkrigg Court
    contains some faces.

ahahahahahahhahaha

ahahahahahahahahaha

AHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHA

Fucking everybody keep dunking on Eglamore forever its the best.

• Options
    rofvblrada1q.png
    SMBC

"Gazing sadly into nothing, wondering where my life went so wrong." (do not give this answer in interviews, trust me)

This discussion has been closed.