As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

E3 is dead. Gamescom August 27th!

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Hah hah! Yeah! Take that dude! Fuckin chew on that!

• Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    That might be the most SE++ TOTP I've ever seen

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

you know I don't really think of 3DRealms as anything other than "the people who lost all their money making duke nukem"

I think of them as the people who wound up supporting Voidpoint when they decided to die on the hill of gay jokes in Ion Fury. A few things to note from that trailer.

-New Blood will get me to watch. Dusk and Amid Evil were fantastic.
    -Slipgate Ironworks still owes me a patch for Bombshell. (Though given what happened with Ion Fury, I doubt I'd go back to it at this point), they're probably busy with Ghostrunner and remastering both Kingpin and SiN.
    -Man, American McGee, Tim Willits AND John Romero? Man, get Carmack and Tom Hall in there and give me a id Software reunion tour.

Also I guess CliffyB is unretired again?

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    sure thing chrishall3ttbe

can't stop reading this as 'chrishalibut'

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    The forum culture of vicious name changes is one of my favorite little things about it.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    It's not really vicious if someone is literally asking for it. Even if it wasn't for themselves

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

guess they really did need to tighten up the graphics on level three

• Options

Surprised that MS is willing to ship their new console with a major exclusive.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    It's not really vicious if someone is literally asking for it. Even if it wasn't for themselves

Schmimpy was pretty ridiculous even though he asked for it

I ate an engineer
  • Options

Well that's almost a date. Now about the price...

• Options
    At this point Sony should just announce the price. Even if Microsoft undercuts them, would it even matter at this point?

• Options
    is there a list of xsx exclusive launch titles?

like if I buy this thing day 1, what games can I get that show off my new fancy box?

• Options
    edited August 2020

like if I buy this thing day 1, what games can I get that show off my new fancy box?

This is the best they've got.
    More than 50 new games planned for this year across generations and optimized for Xbox Series X, including Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Dirt 5, Gears Tactics, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, and Watch Dogs: Legion. With Smart Delivery you only have to buy these games once to play the best versions for your console, across generations.

New games developed for Xbox Series X and launching with Xbox Game Pass,including exclusives like The Medium, Scorn, Tetris Effect: Connected, and more.

More than 40 popular games newly optimized to take full advantage of Xbox Series X such as Destiny 2, Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Madden NFL 21, and more

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/08/11/xbox-series-x-launching-with-thousands-of-games/

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Halo is a HUGE blow to their launch.

It's awesome that people will have tons of games to play bc of Gamepass, but I feel like anyone that buys the new systems at launch wants something great to show off their (probably) 500 dollar system.

Without Halo what does MS have now?

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I love that we've reached a time when a Yakuza game gets that kind of billing.
    But also is Watch Dogs: Legion still a this year thing?

• Options
    akajaybay wrote: »

Watch Dogs: Legion will launch on October 29, 2020.
    https://www.pcgamer.com/watch-dogs-legion-releases-in-october-heres-a-gameplay-trailer/?utm_content=bufferf7803&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »

Yep.

Legion is out in October actually.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    The forum culture of vicious name changes is one of my favorite little things about it.

What do you mean

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

What do you mean

yes, expand on that

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I'll be honest here; I don't think Microsoft survives as a hardware manufacturor after this generation. They're going to get utterly crushed by Sony now, and I feel like two terrible launches will be enough for the higher ups at Microsoft to demand some serious restructuring.

It's a shame, because they were making all the right moves up until this year, but then they had that shitty gameplay reveal with basically no gameplay, and then they killed mixer and replaced it with facebook gaming, then they had their lackluster E3-ish presentation where they answered the question of "What do you have besides Halo?" with "NOTHING.", and now they don't even have Halo.

Like, all we're missing is a snarky, dismissive CEO to make this 2013 all over again. Actually, now that I think about it, this might be even worse than 2013.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

What do you mean

yes, expand on that

this is all news to me

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    i think it's worse than 2013 in as far as there is simply not a good argument for buying the console, but it doesn't seem as stupidly malicious/ego driven. Just things not lining up in the right way and the market having changed.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options

This is the best they've got.
    More than 50 new games planned for this year across generations and optimized for Xbox Series X, including Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Dirt 5, Gears Tactics, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, and Watch Dogs: Legion. With Smart Delivery you only have to buy these games once to play the best versions for your console, across generations.

New games developed for Xbox Series X and launching with Xbox Game Pass,including exclusives like The Medium, Scorn, Tetris Effect: Connected, and more.

More than 40 popular games newly optimized to take full advantage of Xbox Series X such as Destiny 2, Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Madden NFL 21, and more

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/08/11/xbox-series-x-launching-with-thousands-of-games/

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i can barely name any launch games for either console at this point

xbox has forza and sony has mile morales and i literally don't know what else

i've said it before but i'm a full on "go at midnight and spend way too much money for a shiny new toy" type of asshole and unless it turns out that I can't run Death Loop at decent settings on my PC I can't see any reason why I'd buy either of these things this year

• Options

i've said it before but i'm a full on "go at midnight and spend way too much money for a shiny new toy" type of asshole and unless it turns out that I can't run Death Loop at decent settings on my PC I can't see any reason why I'd buy either of these things this year

I don't think Forza Motorsport (8) is a launch title:
    Forza Motorsport is coming to Xbox Series X, Microsoft announced Thursday with a brief teaser trailer during its games showcase for the next-generation console. The game will also be available on Windows PC, and will be included in the Xbox Game Pass library at launch.

Phil Spencer, the head of Microsoft’s Xbox division, introduced the Forza Motorsport trailer by saying that the game would offer native 4K resolution and ray tracing while running at a frame rate of 60 frames per second on Xbox Series X. The trailer did not give a release window for the game, which Spencer described as “early in development.”

https://www.polygon.com/2020/7/23/21334811/forza-motorsport-trailer-xbox-series-x

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

Forza Motorsport is coming to Xbox Series X, Microsoft announced Thursday with a brief teaser trailer during its games showcase for the next-generation console. The game will also be available on Windows PC, and will be included in the Xbox Game Pass library at launch.

Phil Spencer, the head of Microsoft’s Xbox division, introduced the Forza Motorsport trailer by saying that the game would offer native 4K resolution and ray tracing while running at a frame rate of 60 frames per second on Xbox Series X. The trailer did not give a release window for the game, which Spencer described as “early in development.”

https://www.polygon.com/2020/7/23/21334811/forza-motorsport-trailer-xbox-series-x

well shit! i literally don't know why you'd buy a series x in november then

• Options

well shit! i literally don't know why you'd buy a series x in november then

Unless you want to play backwards compatible games at higher framerates/resolution, I can't really think of any reasons. The X might play third party games slightly better than the PS5, but I feel like that's not really going to be much of a thing.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Nov is pretty packed with some big 3rd party releases in all fairness. Even the current gen ones are the kinda games that would really benefit from the better hardware so if you were already planning on a new system eventually that can be enough reason there.

Like I'll be getting 2 PS5 games that I am excited for(Valhalla and Spider-Man) and 2 PS4 games that are two of the games I have been most excited for all year and will benefit greatly from the hardware (Cyberpunk and Yakuza 7) which makes it the most exciting line-up of games to play at launch I have EVER had.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Heck, Halo Infinite is also a cross-platform game, so you didn't even need the SX if you already have a One. Spiderman is the only game so far that says hey you need this shiny new box to play this new thing. The rest of the projected launch games for either console are a bunch of (also cross-platform) third party releases.

Neither console has really justified themselves that you need to get them at launch.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Honestly, Nintendo consoles aside, there's rarely a great reason to buy a new console at launch.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I don't think people are as hungry for new consoles right now as they were at the end of the PS3/360 era

That is my hot take

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I'm hungry for a sandwich

• Options

dang pooro with the real controversial takes here

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

What a coincidence, I was thinking of making hot dogs

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Honestly, Nintendo consoles aside, there's rarely a great reason to buy a new console at launch.

Nintendo's been the platform with the most exclusives for basically forever though.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Nov is pretty packed with some big 3rd party releases in all fairness. Even the current gen ones are the kinda games that would really benefit from the better hardware so if you were already planning on a new system eventually that can be enough reason there.

Like I'll be getting 2 PS5 games that I am excited for(Valhalla and Spider-Man) and 2 PS4 games that are two of the games I have been most excited for all year and will benefit greatly from the hardware (Cyberpunk and Yakuza 7) which makes it the most exciting line-up of games to play at launch I have EVER had.

yeah, i guess part of the problem here is that i have absolutely zero interest in AC Valhalla and not much more enthusiasm for Cyberpunk

if you're jazzed about those, and if they maybe dont' run so great on ps4/xbo then the argument for a new console makes more sense

• Options
    edited August 2020

yeah, i guess part of the problem here is that i have absolutely zero interest in AC Valhalla and not much more enthusiasm for Cyberpunk

if you're jazzed about those, and if they maybe dont' run so great on ps4/xbo then the argument for a new console makes more sense

Yea and the Valhalla version is an actual PS5(or XSX) version not just the PS4 version running on PS5.

But yea, if the lineup isn't doing it for you then it's certainly a good time to wait and see.

XSX has some potential games later that could make me grab one but nothing at launch or with a current date.

Super hyped for getting a launch PS5 though.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »

Nintendo's been the platform with the most exclusives for basically forever though.

But even from their exclusives in the last few gens the big ones aren't generally at launch unless it's cross gen.

I buy Nintendo consoles purely for their exclusives but haven't gotten one at launch in... well maybe ever?

• Options

Yea and the Valhalla version is an actual PS5(or XSX) version not just the PS4 version running on PS5.

Wasn't the PS4 version of Black Flag essentially the same as the PS3 version but with some extra bells and whistles?

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    For anyone else that played Borderlands 3 during the free weekend: It leaves some pretty big files behind after uninstalling in "%localappdata%\Borderlands 3".

For me it was about 1GB. It appears to be shader cache, so there's no real reason to not delete them.

Peewi on
This discussion has been closed.