As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Welcome to the Exclusive PA [Wrestling] Thread

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Tay made a fantastic case for getting signed in this tournament. Savoy as well.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »

I'm also continually impressed with Anna Jay considering her experience level.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »

I do wish she could have kept her WWE theme, which is the best sort of awful.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't remember if I mentioned this, but on the AEW podcast many weeks ago, they were talking with Britt and she mentioned that since turning heel, she'd been working with Jericho to get pointers on how to do it well. The very next episode of Dynamite was when she started the Conspiracy Victim bit.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Naomi was on the New Day podcast
    It was a conscious decision. That’s something I’ve always been proud of and have always been aware of, to represent women like me, our culture, and our people. Not just being a feminist or being a woman, but also because I am black and I look the way I look and talk the way I talk, there are people who connect with me differently and identify with me because of those things. I remember when I first came in and I wanted to wear my natural hair and they were like, ‘We want you to look this way.’ I showed them an old picture and I had long, straight hair, and that’s the look they were wanting me to go with. I was like, ‘That’s fine, to get in the door and to get where I need to go, I’ll look the part and be the part, but once I make it, I’m going to be me.’ I finally feel like I got to that point of, ‘I don’t care, like it or don’t like it, I’m rocking my hair like this.’ With everything going on, that’s something I wanted to do, not just for myself, but for the culture, to show we’re beautiful. It was something that needed to be seen and done, a lot was said without being said.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    That episode was really good, it was interesting hearing that Kofi was at one pitched becoming "the black Jeff Hardy" with face paint and black light and rejected it.

Ms Dapper on
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    That episode was really good, it was interesting hearing that Kofi was at one pitched becoming "the male Jeff Hardy" with face paint and black light and rejected it.

Very good call on Kofi's part.

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    Is that supposed to be some kind of insult to Jeff Hardy? Implying he's not male? I don't get it.

• Options
    burbo wrote: »
    Is that supposed to be some kind of insult to Jeff Hardy? Implying he's not male? I don't get it.

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be black not male

• Options
    I was thinking of making a post about how Naomi and Kofi talked about she is often referred to as the Female Kofi and vice versa but decided not to and then it got mixed up in my head.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    burbo wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be black not male

Ahhh yeah, makes sense.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Naomi going from WWE not knowing what to do with her to being a sort of weird Sasha Banks knockoff when she was more established with the audience than Sasha and also in a stable with Sasha to actually having this distinct neon glowing flashy character has been great. It not only reflects on her gimmick but in her wrestling style and it just feels like they finally found something that clicks for her. Her LED boots literally highlight the moves she does in the ring.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I agree with all of that, but I also, having read Rusev's comments yesterday, couldn't help but get annoyed when her and Kofi were talking about how talent will always shine out and win in the end if you work hard enough. Like the most frustrating part is they are right? Rusev, and Cesaro as another example in my head, totally managed to work their asses off and get over, despite all of the pushback from those in charge. Fans were cheering their names, shouting their slogans, holding up their signs, etc. And so management should have noticed. Instead, not much is done with it (with Cesaro) and/or you're told its not sincere and ignore all evidence to the contrary (with Rusev). And its a bummer.

• Options
    AzraithAzraith DON'T Registered User regular
    It's nuts to think that we're in an era where you can be super over with the crowd and have your merch sell out, you've already grabbed the brass ring in all the metrics that the WWE has established over the last 2 decades, and they'll still shrug and either ignore you or actively try to make sure you lose what heat you have. It just feels so capricious to see absolutely stellar talent like Naomi, Cesaro, and Rusev when he was around get shuffled around idly.

kgefLUA.png
    Steam Live: Azraith PSN: AzraithDeMitri
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    I agree with all of that, but I also, having read Rusev's comments yesterday, couldn't help but get annoyed when her and Kofi were talking about how talent will always shine out and win in the end if you work hard enough. Like the most frustrating part is they are right? Rusev, and Cesaro as another example in my head, totally managed to work their asses off and get over, despite all of the pushback from those in charge. Fans were cheering their names, shouting their slogans, holding up their signs, etc. And so management should have noticed. Instead, not much is done with it (with Cesaro) and/or you're told its not sincere and ignore all evidence to the contrary (with Rusev). And its a bummer.

In Rusev's case Vince was (is...) probably still holding a grudge from their marriage announcenent torpedoing the stupid angle with Ziggler.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

In Rusev's case Vince was (is...) probably still holding a grudge from their marriage announcenent torpedoing the stupid angle with Ziggler.

That's so bafflingly stupid (not you or your supposition, but Vince actually being upset for that reason) because NO IT DIDN'T. THAT'S NOT HOW FICTION WORKS. Hell back in the 90s Vince himself did a thing before one Raw saying "We know you're not stupid and you know this isn't real, that this is all entertainment."

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    The problem is Vince was actually just mad that Rusev and Lana were together at all. Getting married while he was trying his best to break them up was just bonus anger.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    Yeah. In the history of pro wrestling/sports entertainment, one of the most tried and tested ways to end up with a divorce or breakup was for management to book a kayfabe breakup or divorce. Vince basically kept booking Lana/Rusev breakups hoping one of them would take.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »

That's so bafflingly stupid (not you or your supposition, but Vince actually being upset for that reason) because NO IT DIDN'T. THAT'S NOT HOW FICTION WORKS. Hell back in the 90s Vince himself did a thing before one Raw saying "We know you're not stupid and you know this isn't real, that this is all entertainment."

Turns out he was acting when he said that.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    So I dont keep up with WWE but like I guess they are putting screens in "The Thunderdome" and going to have like people join in as virtual fans?

• Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    Despite going on a long time, the Mandy/Sonya feud is interesting. But how can they ever be friends on screen again? They seem like great friends in real life. Mandy was in Sonya's guest room when the stalker showed up. But the feud is presented as so intense and personal, that their characters ever being friends again seems a bit... unbelievable.

Mandy/Sonya is almost at Bossman/Al Snow or Bossman/Big Show levels of heat between them.

• Options
    Missed opportunity of the Guest Host era of Raw:

Having Adam Sandler on and booking someone in an O'Doyle Rules match.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Just saw this on the AEW shop last night:

aew1440-2t.png

You just gotta know that they called themselves this backstage when Matt was still Zack.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    So I dont keep up with WWE but like I guess they are putting screens in "The Thunderdome" and going to have like people join in as virtual fans?

Should have went with the cardboard cutouts like MLB.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Geddoe wrote: »
    Despite going on a long time, the Mandy/Sonya feud is interesting. But how can they ever be friends on screen again? They seem like great friends in real life. Mandy was in Sonya's guest room when the stalker showed up. But the feud is presented as so intense and personal, that their characters ever being friends again seems a bit... unbelievable.

Mandy/Sonya is almost at Bossman/Al Snow or Bossman/Big Show levels of heat between them.

On a related note, Sonya's almost certainly losing the hair v hair match, right? Gonna make "put your hair up and square up" an interesting phrase to use...

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    The Geek wrote: »
    Just saw this on the AEW shop last night:

aew1440-2t.png

You just gotta know that they called themselves this backstage when Matt was still Zack.

That was going to be the name of their theme park podcast.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

On a related note, Sonya's almost certainly losing the hair v hair match, right? Gonna make "put your hair up and square up" an interesting phase to use...

I want someone someday to show up for a hair vs hair match with their head already shaved. To remove any risk on their part and, if they lose, to deny the winner the satisfaction of shaving it. What a great bit that would be, to be wrestling in a hair vs hair match and a move takes a wrestler's head covering off and the offense stops as the other wrestler is in shock that, even if they win, the comeuppance will elude them.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Per PWInsider, Renee Young gave her notice last week

No word on when her last day is

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Definitely the kind of shit you say when you're taking it seriously.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

On a related note, Sonya's almost certainly losing the hair v hair match, right? Gonna make "put your hair up and square up" an interesting phrase to use...

I wouldn't worry about it, once she loses that match she will be relegated to a jobber along with most of the women's roster because you can't have too many simultaneous women's stories going on. Hair vs Hair is pretty regressive for the women's roster as well since the penalty is losing your hair, implying that without hair you are less than. What I'm saying is that all of it is terrible and the women, all of them, deserve better.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Me: man I haven’t even watched last week’s Dynamite yet. I could sure use some extra time.

Monkeys paw: *curls*

• Options
    I think a big part of this hair vs hair match is Mandy is very concerned with her look in a vain way, even as a face, while Sonya cares less. Sonya will shave her head and make it a look, just as people like Kurt and even Mel from AEW for the few times she showed up did.

Also Rhea Ripley made fun of Tegan Nox's knee for a year and teamed with her months after coming back.
    Bayley and Sasha have had blood feuds and then come back to being best friends.
    Hardys did it, Edge and Christian did it. It's just kinda what happens.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    There is no such thing as broken beyond repair when it comes to wrestlefriendships.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Mel's still around in AEW, she teamed with Penelope Ford in the first round of the tag tournament.

• Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Here are a couple free matches from King of DDT and Tokyo Princess Cup.

Akito vs Shinya Aoki

https://youtu.be/Kyo59uZS3JU

Maki Itoh vs Yuki Kamifuku

https://youtu.be/v3xifVZypoc

KoDDT finals are this weekend, the semifinal matchups are Tetsuya Endo vs Kazusada Higuchi and Akito vs T-Hawk. The final should be great no matter who's in it, and the winner gets to main event Ultimate Party for the Openweight title. Endo is current champ, so if he wins he chooses his opponent, which he's all but officially said will be Kenny Omega.

Semifinal matchups for Tokyo Princess Cup (as of right now still scheduled for next weekend, provided no other wrestlers test positive) are Maki Itoh vs Mizuki and Shoko Nakajima vs Miyu Yamashita. Maki has already advanced farther than she ever has in the tournament, I can't wait to see her make it to the final just to get her head kicked off by Miyu.

hailtothekale on
  • Options
    I should state that I still don't think that the women's division will be booked well because that's always been shakey

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    I like how Lady Maravilla did it after losing her hair match where she'd wear a stocking cap into wvery match and the face could pull it off to reveal her buzz cut to a pop and to embarass her.

Granted it means more in Mexico to lose a hair match.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    The problem is Vince was actually just mad that Rusev and Lana were together at all. Getting married while he was trying his best to break them up was just bonus anger.

And again, we come back to...

...WHY?????

Did he want to bang Lana shit it's because he wanted to bang Lana wasn't it. Not even CJ, but Lana specifically.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I'm sure his tendency to involve himself in storyline with and heavily push leggy blonde women is all just a coincidence.

uyvfOQy.png
This discussion has been closed.