As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Comics? On the Web? It's more likely than you think! [Webcomics]

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Salami Dave being asked to give up his power for the sake of his people, him starting to equivocate about how complicated that would be, then immediately being thrust into a situation where he has to potentially give up his life to try to save his people would make sense.

But as always I never have any idea what is coming next.

I mean, it probably wouldn't be as simple as him going "okay yeah sure, you're in charge now." He was god emperor for however long. The transition would probably be a complicated morass of red tape bordering on insanity.

And from what I've seen in the comic, the fact that Salami even gives a shit about evacuating the city puts him head and shoulders above the other demiurges.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Salami Dave being asked to give up his power for the sake of his people, him starting to equivocate about how complicated that would be, then immediately being thrust into a situation where he has to potentially give up his life to try to save his people would make sense.

But as always I never have any idea what is coming next.

I mean, it probably wouldn't be as simple as him going "okay yeah sure, you're in charge now." He was god emperor for however long. The transition would probably be a complicated morass of red tape bordering on insanity.

And from what I've seen in the comic, the fact that Salami even gives a shit about evacuating the city puts him head and shoulders above the other demiurges.

Well no, it absolutely would not be simple. But I think that's why he was probably using the word 'lightly' before he got interrupted. He was about to take an action to save his people but would take a while, and now is going to be forced to take more drastic action to reach that same end.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    that's one way to speed up the plot

I'm a little sad we don't get the grand tour of the seven worlds

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    There is only ever two answers to the question, "will you give up power now?" Yes, or No. Later is just a longer form of No.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    that's one way to speed up the plot

I'm a little sad we don't get the grand tour of the seven worlds

To be fair that'd be a little videogame-ish for the story. Don't gotta visit everywhere in the world, just the important bits for the plot. Also they're probably varying degrees of shitholes considering what we've seen of the Demiurges.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    what's interesting to me is how genuinely surprised and unprepared solomon looks

if this is indeed the jagganoth chekhov's gun finally firing, it suggests that despite his efforts to use jagganoth's arming up as a political bludgeon to keep the other demiurges online, solomon may not have actually anticipated it ever happening, or always saw it as tomorrow's problem

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    what's interesting to me is how genuinely surprised and unprepared solomon looks

if this is indeed the jagganoth chekhov's gun finally firing, it suggests that despite his efforts to use jagganoth's arming up as a political bludgeon to keep the other demiurges online, solomon may not have actually anticipated it ever happening, or always saw it as tomorrow's problem

That seems a little harsh. Something this earthshaking going down is usually going to result in fear regardless of how well you prepare. Like, intellectually, you know if there was a live grenade in your lap, you'd want to get rid of it. But if a live grenade actually lands in your lap, your first reaction is almost guaranteed to be 'HOLY FUCKING SHIT'

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    There is only ever two answers to the question, "will you give up power now?" Yes, or No. Later is just a longer form of No.

Assuming you're cool with civil wars as various claimants kill citizens in an effort to seize power then sure, that's true. If you give a shit about your people, which Salami actually seems to, taking even a little bit of time to let folks sort out things like who will see that food gets into this city and who will care for the sick and ill and all that civilization thing, is probably a reasonable idea. Even in just somebody sitting there to ensure that the first to resort to violence just flat out loses way.

He would be absolutely horrible at keeping himself out of that process though.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    K6BD
    I really wish I actually posted that I thought this would be the perfect time for Jagganoth to show up. I was kind of hoping it wouldn't go that way, but with Allison and Zaid in the same place it would be almost stupid for him NOT to show up.

I fully expect a payoff of Salami Dave's threat to the other Demiurges to show up when shit goes down, to pay off with none of them showing up when shit goes down.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    why would
    Jagganoth care about Allison though

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    why would
    Incubus told him that she was the true heir.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    why would

Not sure they do.

But SD has been shown to be vulnerable, and that seems to be the cue to come stomp on him.

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »
    why would
    Incubus told him that she was the true heir.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    g28ypkwbotkx.jpg
    Penny Arcade

This story makes me think less of both Ubisoft and Monster.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ysmv69mek7h0.jpg
    Gunnerkrigg Court

Said the girl about the time-travelling robot bird.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    They only managed to get one robot bird corpse back then, right?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Yes. Annie's pretty slow on the uptake here.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    5sjor5tcamby.png
    Questionable Content

Bubbles retains the top spot.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I was half expecting that to end with Bubbles sitting on May.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I was half expecting that to end with Bubbles sitting on May.

That's a 50 dollar patron comic

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    cpcgsebbgia4.png
    Dumbing of Age

This reminds me of a TV show where a character is said to not believe in God, but insists she's not an atheist because she "knows the difference between right and wrong". What the hell do they teach people about atheists?

• Options
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    ysmv69mek7h0.jpg
    Gunnerkrigg Court

Said the girl about the time-travelling robot bird.

0/10 insufficiently football

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    cpcgsebbgia4.png
    Dumbing of Age

This reminds me of a TV show where a character is said to not believe in God, but insists she's not an atheist because she "knows the difference between right and wrong". What the hell do they teach people about atheists?

That without the moral framework of (christian) religion to guide them atheists have no compunction against doing cartoonishly evil acts without a second thought.

This separates them from muslims who will do cartoonishly evil acts in service of their faith. Basically nearly tied for least trusted demographic in the country.

America sucks!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    There are a concerning amount of people that will explicitly say that the existence of Hell is what stops them from doing bad things.

Not, "athiests do bad things because they don't believe in Hell". "I don't do bad things because I fear Hell."

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    cpcgsebbgia4.png
    Dumbing of Age

That without the moral framework of (christian) religion to guide them atheists have no compunction against doing cartoonishly evil acts without a second thought.

This separates them from muslims who will do cartoonishly evil acts in service of their faith. Basically nearly tied for least trusted demographic in the country.

America sucks!

And/or that people will only behave morally if they are under threat of punishment by a parent, cop or judge, invisible man in the sky, or other authority figure. No one is basically decent on their own, they have to be forced to not act like sociopaths selfish jerks.

(Would it surprise you at all that most people who argue this turn out to be selfish jerks?)

EDIT: this is pretty much the same thing gnome posted while I was typing.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    cpcgsebbgia4.png
    Dumbing of Age

Fundie Christians believe that all morality comes from (their) God, so anyone without a connection to that God is naturally no better than a beast. Yes, that is narcissistic to an intensely hostile degree... it explains quite a bit of their behavior out in the wild when you think about the consequences of such a belief.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    "Thank you for announcing to everyone that you have no inherent, personal sense of right and wrong, assume that no one else does either, and will only behave morally when you are being observed and compelled to."

(really, you're fortunate that we do, because the ruthlessly pragmatic thing would probably be to just kill you now.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I do good things to spite the fuckers who stole my fatherland....even though they're dead

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Did the DoA gang get an art style change?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Time skip = new haircuts for everyone.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    "Thank you for announcing to everyone that you have no inherent, personal sense of right and wrong, assume that no one else does either, and will only behave morally when you are being observed and compelled to."

(really, you're fortunate that we do, because the ruthlessly pragmatic thing would probably be to just kill you now.)

Nah, they're just not aware of their own moral preferences. When you've been imposed a moral code for long enough, your own moral preferences start to atrophy and when the justification for the imposed moral code disappears, you're left with an underdeveloped morality.

Basically, every adult Christian needs therapy, detox and moral rehabilitation.

Of course, it's not just Christians, but they're the ones that need it the most.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Elaro wrote: »
    Basically, every adult Christian needs therapy, detox and moral rehabilitation.
    Of course, it's not just Christians, but they're the ones that need it the most.

I'm not sure if this is the right place for such a discussion but I resent this generalisation. While the mechanisms discussed are obviously true, it's not every Christian* that needs it. Neither do my experiences with religious people confirm that this problem is the most prominent among Christians.

*unless you don't consider people like me - who pay little attention to worship and prayer, while focusing on the love of other humans - Christians. Which would be a weird thing to say, since that's what the majority of Jesus' teaching is about.

Mayday on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    As an adult christian I definitely needed therapy but it had nothing to do with recalibrating my moral compass

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Regardless of religious preference, the absence of a moral center is likely a lot more common than we realize; it's just that people with a bit of common sense know not to talk about that stuff in public. Any activity like an institutional belief system where you're encouraged to opine about morality increases the risk of accidental exposure

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Ugh. Evolution doesn't "Does away with morals". Evolution creates morals. It's a fundamental part of being a social species.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Ugh. Evolution doesn't "Does away with morals". Evolution creates morals. It's a fundamental part of being a social species.

sorry, can't hear you over my impending apotheosis

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    There are a concerning amount of people that will explicitly say that the existence of Hell is what stops them from doing bad things.

Not, "athiests do bad things because they don't believe in Hell". "I don't do bad things because I fear Hell."

Well I suppose that if you do actually factually believe for real that if you dont act right then you will spend all of infinite eternity getting boiled and roasted and so forth by a bunch of Hieronymus Bosches that would definitely be a motivator, like Heaven seems very like vaguely nonspecifically pleasant but Hell is incredibly specific like a fishbirdman chewing you up and shiting you out into I dunno a big printing press forever, Heaven does not nearly seem as nice as Hell seems bad

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
This discussion has been closed.