As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's New Consoles! XSX Nov 10, PS5 Nov 12

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    McFodder wrote: »
    expendable wrote: »
    I want Tie Fighter with modern graphics on a modern engine running on a modern system. Maybe VR support like Elite.

I have great news!
    expendable wrote: »
    Keep the missions and storylines and everything else the same, just give me that improved experience.

Well I guess I had....some news!

Yeah, I mean, I still broke my "no preorders" rule to show my support that way when I first saw the trailer.

On one hand, sad that I gave in and gave EA preorder money.

On the other hand, holy shit it's finally a Star Wars pilot game that's kinda Tie Fighter there hasn't been one of those since X-Wing Alliance in '99! I've been saying for decades I would give all my money. AND I get to use my flight stick for something other than Elite!

On the gripping hand, I might have exacerbated a problem with the preorder system and EAs relationship with standards in my desperation for something I've wanted for so long.

But on that second hand: single player hehehehe fighter go pew pew!

[edit]The sad thing is I'm fully aware I may not even be able to run it. My actual CPU is an intel that's 3 generations behind their minimum spec but everything else is recommended. Sigh.[/edit]

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Best of luck pilot, and may the force be with you.

To get it back on topic, Squadrons will probably be what I'm mostly playing on the PS5 when I get it - as long as the adapter for the PS4 camera comes out quickish. PS4 won't be moving out of the cabinet until that arrives though.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »
    It seems like it would just be a makeover though, the gameplay of 4 is pretty close on to the remakes, RE 2 was like it got hit with a fuckin magic wand

Yeah, I'm surprised they didn't give the remake treatment to the game that most desperately needed it: Code Veronica

They tried, but no one on the Dev/QA team could stay awake long enough to make it all the way through the game.

I’m not sure how you could redo the plot of Code Veronica and not just throw out a good portion of the plot, cause holy shit is the Alfred and Alexia incredibly problematic, to put it nicely.

Bold of you to assume Cap "we made RE5" com would care.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    It seems like it would just be a makeover though, the gameplay of 4 is pretty close on to the remakes, RE 2 was like it got hit with a fuckin magic wand

Yeah, I'm surprised they didn't give the remake treatment to the game that most desperately needed it: Code Veronica

They tried, but no one on the Dev/QA team could stay awake long enough to make it all the way through the game.

I’m not sure how you could redo the plot of Code Veronica and not just throw out a good portion of the plot, cause holy shit is the Alfred and Alexia incredibly problematic, to put it nicely.

That is not actually the worst premise they've gone with. That title likely goes to Resident Evil: Degeneration aka "Leon has to help a woman avoid her g-virus infected monster brother who sees her as a potential mate because of their genetic similarity".

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

That is not actually the worst premise they've gone with. That title likely goes to Resident Evil: Degeneration aka "Leon has to help a woman avoid her g-virus infected monster brother who sees her as a potential mate because of their genetic similarity".

I think Resident Evil 2 doing that same thing but with the father and the daughter is worse.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    As much as I love resident evil and have played all of them, pretty much all of their stories are nonsense sauce mixed with a dumb dumb batter

Prohass on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Opty wrote: »
    With the original Star Wars trilogy you get something similar where it was modified with additional digital effects and then that new version is all that's available. I bet if Pixar took the time to go back and re-render all of their old movies using their latest technology, those new versions would replace the old going forward.

They did this, in a way. A few years back they re-released Toy Story 1 & 2 re-rendered using the latest iterations of Renderman and retrofitted it into 3d. There wasn't much of an improvement as they didn't change any of the models or textures or anything but it was fun to see them on the big screen again

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

I think Resident Evil 2 doing that same thing but with the father and the daughter is worse.

Well at least they retconed it in 2 remake

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
  • Options

delays apparently just lead to more crunch

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Death March wooooo...

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

Am I crazy for not liking the new model

It feels like they’re moving closer to Off Brand Tom Holland in a way I don’t care for

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Not-Tom Holland Spider-Man looks like he's either still in high school or just started college. Not somebody who's been Spider-Man for a few years already and has finished school.

Guess I'd need to see him in motion to really judge.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    He looks quite a bit younger now, like 18/19, it's mostly the hairline I think. I don't suppose it really matters since the script will be the same, but I did like Peter in the PS4 version. A lot of Spider-Man games and movies feel the need to retell Spider-Man's origins and so we usually get a really young around high school age Peter Parker, it was nice to have young adult looking Peter for once. I can't remember exactly how old he is in the game, but he's mid 20s I think? He'd been Spidey for about 10 years right?

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I don't like it but I didn't like the original version either so vOv

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    The new ray traced reflections will actually add a lot, I was impressed with how they tricked the eye in the base game but if they’re just real-time full mirrors now? That’s gonna look fuckin astonishing

Shame about the new face model, have no idea why they felt the need to change that. That almost feels like a dispute with the original model? I have no idea, honestly!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    From the link:
    But it’s not just the environments; our characters have also gotten a huge upgrade. From higher fidelity skin, eye, and teeth shaders to individually-rendered strands of hair, the new tech and detail brings our characters and their performances to new life.

This does bring us to one of the bigger changes. In order to bring the best performances to players with our next-generation Marvel’s Spider-Man games, we have recast the face of Peter Parker. We loved working with John Bubniak on the original game; however, to get a better match to Peter Parker/Spider-Man actor Yuri Lowenthal’s facial capture, we have cast Ben Jordan to be the face model for Peter Parker on the PS5 console. He looks incredible in-game, and Yuri’s moving performances take on a new life.

I have no idea if that's all BS. Oh, and a clip. Spoilers if you don't know who Professor Otto Octavius is, I guess.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i5tTKSbePI

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    He looks better in motion I guess

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Don't we all

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    No... no.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Don't we all

Only if I'm disappearing over the horizon

• Options
    I look presentable from precisely one angle

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    I look presentable from precisely one angle

tTSOgZ5.jpg

same

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Shit that's one more than me, gj.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I wasn't a huge fan of the original Peter model at first but the writing and voice acting really endeared me to him. The ending works really well with everything together.
    "You knew?"

Not a huge fan of the change, mainly cause as other pointed out, he definitely looks younger.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    in fairness to Insomniac I have met Yuri Lowenthal and he does have 14 year old face, so if they need a one to one match for him then I can see why they had to go in that direction

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    So is that what he will look like in Miles Morales?

Because going from the original version of Spider-Man to him suddenly looking different is going to be a little jarring. Not the biggest deal but it definitely makes him look way too close in age to Miles which just is a bit weird given the already established relationship.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Ya from my understanding that is what he will look like in Miles and any future sequel they make.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options

Bryan Intihar is Creative Director at Insomniac.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    That didn't explain anything, really? And why did he like, take a picture of his screen for this

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    I haven't heard anyone else talking about it, but based on the new face being "Tom Holland stunt actor" level, my first reaction was that this is the Peter Parker model from the new Avengers game DLC and Sony had them replace it in the Spider-Man game for SYNERGY

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Chall wrote: »
    I haven't heard anyone else talking about it, but based on the new face being "Tom Holland stunt actor" level, my first reaction was that this is the Peter Parker model from the new Avengers game DLC and Sony had them replace it in the Spider-Man game for SYNERGY

If that ends up being true, the Insomniac guy should have said nothing. Never step in front of a bus for corporate synergy.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The original model looks way better to me, I dunno

That explanation for why they "needed" to change it is total nonsense

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I like the new one better

The old one always looked off to me for some reason

• Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    I don't dislike the new one that much, but the old one reminded me a lot of the 90's animated Spider-Man Peter which I appreciated.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Are people actually getting angry about this?
    Cos this seems really unimportant

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The old one looks like a 40-year-old man trying to look half his age.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    The original model looks way better to me, I dunno

That explanation for why they "needed" to change it is total nonsense

Yeah, characters resembling their VA is neat but not critical to next gen gaming like c'mon. This totally feels like Marvel sent them an email going "Mmmm, we're going to need Peter to look less like Andrew Garfield and more like Tom Holland"

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjjaRApZpVY

this is one of the weird things where they're separating the voice actor from the face model,

but if they're using the voice actor to do performance capture they probably want as close a match as possible

if the faces diverge too much you'll get all sorts of weird rubberface issues as the mapped points for the performance capture won't match the geometry of the face model, which makes those very subtle things like skin wrinkling or brows furrowing immediately lurch into the uncanny valley if they're too stiff or loose

fixing all of that manually is incredibly time-intensive work with a modeler needing to manually tweak each expression and phrase that the main character is saying, which might be why Insominac decided on a change if they're gonna continue with the character

This discussion has been closed.