As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There is no such thing as a moral or immoral [book] thread

19899100101102104»

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    May our horrors shamble eternally.

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Bad news, looks like there's not gonna be a new Stormlight novella anymore.

Good news, Dawnshard is 57k words which technically makes it a full blown novel and still on track to come out before the end of the month!

Kanden on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »
    Bad news, looks like there's not gonna be a new Stormlight novella anymore.

Good news, Dawnshard is 57k words which technically makes it a full blown novel and still on track to come out before the end of the month!

whuat

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I once got an autograph from Brandon; im afraid that if I ever ask him for another, he will just start writing a new story on a book I bring to him.

Asthariel on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    Ask him for his lunch order instead. If you're lucky you might get an outline for a sandwich-based system of magic.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Kreutz wrote: »
    Ask him for his lunch order instead. If you're lucky you might get an outline for a sandwich-based system of magic.

I can see potential in that. It would kind of be like crafting in video games, and if you get the wrong item combo you could end up with a hideous concoction which would grey goo all vegetable matter or something.
    True naturals at the magical sandwich arts could intuitively assemble a sublime stack from like, half an icecream tub of picnic leftovers and the residual scrapings from a midwestern Chinese buffet.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Man now I'm just thinking about all sorts of food based magic systems

Cooking versus baking - quick improvised magic versus precision based recipes that require a lot of preparation

Or bartending, where you use more potent magical ingredients to cover up the fact that this year's mandrake crop is abysmal

To contrast with sommeliering, I guess, having prepared magics that have been aged across many years and follow generally formulaic effects

Straightzi on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    rxs1bhrqlfhr.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    54369251._UY400_SS400_.jpg

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    That is 100% a description of Wolverine.

I'm not sure about that prose, though. It captures Doyle's style in fits and starts - particularly with all the parentheticals and interjections, the sense that this is a story being related to you at a club over cigars and brandy - but Watson comes off like a shrieking neurotic and far more classist than the real deal. (Watson is a parochial middle-class Victorian, of course, but he's also deeply sentimental and doesn't have a malicious bone in his body.) Are the books comedies?

Yeah the books are 100% comedies. It takes everything about the Holmes canon that is frankly ridiculous and adds a hugely satirical bent to it. Holmes in this case is a complete and utter dunce, but is the most powerful warlock on the planet, and Watson is the guy who does the deducing and tries to keep Holmes from breaking reality.

Also Bix is more like a zergling or a tyrannid.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvGiqZmRtck&t=78s

Also the Graphic Audio version of these books is just *chef kiss*

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Gives me a chance to highly recommend "The affair of the mysterious letter" by Alexis Hall, a Sherlock Holmes novel where Sherlock Holmes is a female sorceress and the setting is a full on Eldritch horror mish-mash. It's extremely funny and very well done.

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    + a mixed rec for Angel of the Crows, by Katherine Addison, where angels gain their identity by bonding to a location, and our Holmes is an anomalously unbound angel. In favor, it’s written great; I think the narrator’s voice rings “period” while also being easy reading. It’s a lot of fun how it weaves supernatural elements into the setting. The plot hews surprisingly close to Doyle, it’s basically just several classic stories lined up.

It’s maybe uncomfortable on some gender identity and sexual orientation stuff. In particular, (and one thing I disliked is that this is spoilers)
    Watson’s revealed midway to be a woman acting as a man, which, cool, but it really made me wonder if it was staking out a political position on the obvious model, Dr James Barry, who’s been the object of some controversy over whether he can be claimed as a transmasc ancestor. (To me, not a trans person, it sounds like the answer is yeah that’s pretty reasonable, accounting for the usual how-is-identity-constructed-socially stuff; he apparently wanted to be remembered as male posthumously. And the people who are really invested in saying no, absolutely not, this is a story of female empowerment, seem a rather terfy group).

I don’t necessarily want to lump Addison in there or attribute everything the characters think and say about themselves to Addison. I think there’s clearly some intentional amount of portraying people struggling to figure themselves out without access to useful frameworks. On my first pass I took a lot of this in stride for this reason. But sometimes it does feel real fuckin dicey. There’s some asexuality vs. sexual agency discourse in there too I wasn’t sure about.

But anyway the reveal, I didn’t like it. Watson and a lady client have a mutual flirtation over the course of the case, Watson agonizing that it can never be, and the reader at this point clearly understands it can never be because Watson got bitten by a hell hound in the war and has a werewolf thing going on. At the end of the case Watson tearfully confesses to the lady that Watson is not a man, Watson is a woman. And they split and then I dunno, maybe Watson’s resigned to the single life. It felt cheap and maybe a bit cavalier to me. The more I think about this the less indulgent I feel towards everything else; like why would WATSON narrate the story this way, and if you’re using this as a cool mid-book twist how seriously can you be cogitating about this stuff.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Checked out
    This is how we lose the time war

Dunno why, blaming this thread

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I finished Circe you guys...you guys, that was fantastic. I loved Miller's prose, it was vivid without being super floral(I also liked Time War, and the language was my hook to enjoying it, but it's a sometimes food for me), kept up a good pace, quite surprisingly had a lot of relatable (if exaggerated) moments about parenting, and all made more intriguing with the godly setting. I very much want to read Song of Achilles, but I'm going to set a lower expectation, assuming it mostly doesn't have those last two factors.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Checked out

You'll get what you deserve for that!
    A really great love story.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Checked out

You'll get what you deserve for that!
    A really great love story.

Watching the progress of communicating, and how frozen in time characters are at the beginning verses the 80+ pages i am at now.

Its interesting.

I am not a fan of serious time travel stories and bounced hard off of kindred, but this i like

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Alright, the laws of the continuum are in jeopardy. Someone make a new thread and then PM me the link and I'll edit it into this post.

Geth, close the thread.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Jacobkosh. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.