Options

[Phalla] The Conquest of Deepnest - Host Notes Up

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    Infidel wrote: »
    I enjoyed that we had an unexpected punchgang with the SK on Auralynx.

Who completely exploded and damaged most of us. :lol:

I killed jdark that night, never hit Aura; someone misinterpreted the kill narration that day

Actually, gotta ask, who kept hitting me for 15, then?

• Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Bluecyan wrote: »
    I'm going to wager, a large chunk of the mafia is in that Not Voted block, probably more than half. Of those that have voted I'm suspicious of AustinP who has incorrect rationale for voting for me (ObiFett was not just me jumping on a bad theory post, but someone I was suspicious of prior to that post) and ObiFett whom I believe is only being active now since their name was being kicked around earlier in the weekend.

Those on the inactive list my suspicions are high on JPants, mrpaku and kime. All of whom have contributed little which is atypical compared to their standard plays. JPants and mrpaku especially since they tend to be more active in thread than network.

Only really Bedlam has been active and not voted, so they don't really fit in with the rest and I am actually thinking leans village. Phyphor, SegaTai and JusticeforPluto were active on earlier days so they are neutral in my book. Premium, and jdark leaning mafia.

So my list right now would be:
    JPants
    AustinP
    mrpaku
    ObiFett
    kime

In that order, Obi hasn't so much fallen in suspicion as the others continued silence has given me more doubt.

Three out of five ain't bad for my usual final guesses. At the end of that day Austin reached out and I had really come round to trusting both them and ObiFett, but by that point the die was caste.

Well done Invictus, I fell right into your little trap. Literally the furthest person I was suspecting based on activity and information provided.

Is this...me? Did I set a trap for you? If you mean I did a good job not seeming to be a village special, that's super cool and I'm very glad, because I managed my in thread presence very carefully trying not to draw too much attention by either presence or absence. With that in mind, who was the squad that killed me?

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    I seered (unsuccessfully) discrider day 1. I had to shoot someone to do that; my seer power required an attack. I shot LostNinja, and got terror'ed as a result and so it did not go off.

On day 2, I shot Obbi to seer JaysonFour; I was gone from the thread by the time he revealed, but I was pretty sure he was a village special or the SK. That didn't go off because I was harassed from the air.

On day 3, I shot Obbi to seer Obifett, but I dithered between ObiFett and kime, who I had orders in at one point. This is because I also thought Obifett were a village special or the SK, and I wanted to confirm someone to start a network.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I think there was only one kill squad? One organized one at least. I think I remember that we shot you. Took two days iirc.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Invictus wrote: »
    I'm going to wager, a large chunk of the mafia is in that Not Voted block, probably more than half. Of those that have voted I'm suspicious of AustinP who has incorrect rationale for voting for me (ObiFett was not just me jumping on a bad theory post, but someone I was suspicious of prior to that post) and ObiFett whom I believe is only being active now since their name was being kicked around earlier in the weekend.

Those on the inactive list my suspicions are high on JPants, mrpaku and kime. All of whom have contributed little which is atypical compared to their standard plays. JPants and mrpaku especially since they tend to be more active in thread than network.

Only really Bedlam has been active and not voted, so they don't really fit in with the rest and I am actually thinking leans village. Phyphor, SegaTai and JusticeforPluto were active on earlier days so they are neutral in my book. Premium, and jdark leaning mafia.

So my list right now would be:
    JPants
    AustinP
    mrpaku
    ObiFett
    kime

In that order, Obi hasn't so much fallen in suspicion as the others continued silence has given me more doubt.

Three out of five ain't bad for my usual final guesses. At the end of that day Austin reached out and I had really come round to trusting both them and ObiFett, but by that point the die was caste.

Well done Invictus, I fell right into your little trap. Literally the furthest person I was suspecting based on activity and information provided.

Is this...me? Did I set a trap for you? If you mean I did a good job not seeming to be a village special, that's super cool and I'm very glad, because I managed my in thread presence very carefully trying not to draw too much attention by either presence or absence. With that in mind, who was the squad that killed me?

Sorry, mixed up your name with Infidel. Good job @Infidel .

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Thanks for running the game @38thDoe
    Now to finish hollow knight...

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Invictus wrote: »
    I seered (unsuccessfully) discrider day 1. I had to shoot someone to do that; my seer power required an attack. I shot LostNinja, and got terror'ed as a result and so it did not go off.

On day 2, I shot Obbi to seer JaysonFour; I was gone from the thread by the time he revealed, but I was pretty sure he was a village special or the SK. That didn't go off because I was harassed from the air.

On day 3, I shot Obbi to seer Obifett, but I dithered between ObiFett and kime, who I had orders in at one point. This is because I also thought Obifett were a village special or the SK, and I wanted to confirm someone to start a network.

I also healed J4 day 2.
    But he got voted off while I was asleep.

I attempted to heal Bedlam day 3.
    But our heals were rubbish and he died anyway.

And then I healed Jdark day 4 because I was fairly done with the game :/
    Or at least my role in it.

discrider on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I think remaining mafia are kime, Austin, discrider, and Infidel.

I’m sticking with my kime vote as I think that’s the most likely of the four to be surely mafia.

I’m fairly pleased with my final position here considering it was my first try at this game.

• Options
    Frankly, I think I forgot how to phone phalla, and started caring too much again, when I simply don't have the time for that level of analysis.
    And 6am vote close is exhausting.

Anyway, thanks for hosting @38thDoe

• Options

I’m sticking with my kime vote as I think that’s the most likely of the four to be surely mafia.

I’m fairly pleased with my final position here considering it was my first try at this game.

Yeah, no, that was a good villager post.
    If you had been throwing these out all game, I would not have been gunning for you :(

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I definitely was gun shy the first couple days, the level of the game being above my pay grade. Next time I’m ready.

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Make sure to come back! Always need fresh meat, err I mean talent.

• Options
    I definitely was gun shy the first couple days, the level of the game being above my pay grade. Next time I’m ready.

Phalla log:
    New guy is scared of drawing attention
    Possible causes:
    - Mafia
    - Update: we're hella intimidating

• Options

After their first serious encounter with the forum mafia, the young pup has learned a valuable lesson. In the world of phalla, always vote kime.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

Phalla log:
    Possible causes:
    - Mafia

To be fair, he was literally rapid-fire posting every single "suspicious mafia post" like his game role was mad libs mafia.

My read was to laugh my ass off and try to ignore it, even if I wasn't mafia.

It is, like, something that could become an identity/trope, like kime's playstyle.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    So sega killed me? Kinda funny bc I was attacking you that same night :p

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options

Phalla log:
    Possible causes:
    - Mafia

To be fair, he was literally rapid-fire posting every single "suspicious mafia post" like his game role was mad libs mafia.

It is, like, something that could become an identity/trope, like kime's playstyle.

If I roll mafia in my second game I’ll have a decision to make to continue the behavior or change. Decisions decisions...

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I though I was super sus, surprised I lived.

Good game everyone, had a lot of fun. Great setting as well.

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Has sus replaced mvibes?

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options

Phalla log:
    Possible causes:
    - Mafia

If I roll mafia in my second game I’ll have a decision to make to continue the behavior or change. Decisions decisions...

I say, lean in further. No one will have any idea how to read you.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Gizzy wrote: »
    Has sus replaced mvibes?

Regrettably, yes.

• Options
    Going to ahead and award myself for best village vote counter. Other than maybe two posts, really nailed those vote counts everyone.

*bar has been set, super low*

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Has sus replaced mvibes?

Regrettably, yes.

I like sus :P

Thanks for hosting 38th! It was a lot of fun!

Steam profile
  • Options
    I though I was super sus, surprised I lived.

Good game everyone, had a lot of fun. Great setting as well.

I think you were the most sus mafia this game yeah. I probably would have jumped on you based on the thread, that is.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    So sega killed me? Kinda funny bc I was attacking you that same night :p

High5

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    I need to turn off treasure in Shovel Knight to enjoy this honestly.
    Keep force quitting to redo a level where I've died to some dumb move, and then die more times trying to retrieve my dropped treasure.

Just send me back to the beginning of the level, and reset everything.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Keep force quitting to redo a level where I've died to some dumb move, and then die more times trying to retrieve my dropped treasure.

Just let it go and keep going. You'll be fine and will have more treasure then you need. Abuse that invincibility trinket.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options

I don't understand this but I plan to play the game and find out.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    And there's a code language.
    38thDoe wrote: »

Just let it go

No

• Options
    edited October 2020
    .. this is just code to Kickstarter backers.

And I just died to spikes after lighting up this entire area.
    Outstanding play.

discrider on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Notes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdiK4yghM2M

I have wanted to run a game again for a while and was originally planning on doing a castlevania game but I have been playing too much Hollow Knight so we got this instead. It took place in the past because how do you balance the actual bosses of this game. Tried to brainstorm abilities and decided that a battle game would be most appropriate. I got completely stumped on the values so I jotted down some random values and asked @MrBlarney to take a balance pass on it. Thanks again for the help! I think the values were decently well balanced.

Being a seer in my games has been tough lately. In Lunacy I think all Seers died before they got in phase. Final Fantasy One had the seer die night one and Faxanadu had the seer die the night they arrived. And that brings us back to 2018! I could put two seers in but then they’d probably live the entire game and bring all mafia down by day 3. Really I think the village could have pulled it off even without the seer but they had awful luck. The village kill squad only hit village specials until the last couple of days when they focused on a villager. @SeGaTai was going to off @kime the day he was invited to the village kill squad until kime joked “when I die blame SeGaTai” and SeGaTai quickly swapped to Gizzy. @JaysonFour was also going to kill a mafia when he was voted out. @jdarksun had the right idea to slow the death count but it was too late at that point.

The mafia was very organized. I think @Infidel ‘s idea to use discord helped a ton. I’d recommend that to future mafias. None of the mafia were inactive either so that’s a bonus.. Actually I’m very pleased with the activity level for this game in total. One replacement is not too bad. I apologize again for the vote close I know it's not easy for a lot of people. I guess I could try and farm out narration and close at a different time but I like doing narration. I guess I could always close at night and then do narration in the morning. That might actually be worth a try, there wasn’t a ton of discussion while I was asleep this game. Will have to think more on that one.

There were a few really cool abilities and roles that we thought up but did not come out in this game so I might do another Hollow Knight themed game at some point. Hopefully that won’t bore anyone. Really want to do castlevania or shovel knight as well though. Hopefully I can get some better automation so I don't have to do as much work on vote close.

Mistakes! I made a few! I forgot to tell SeGaTai his HP and Attack for several days. I thought his conversation with kime (where kime asked his attack and he replied by asking kimes then said he did one more damage) was hilarious before I noticed. In retrospect it was even funnier. Probably not for SeGaTai though... OOPS! If you think you are missing something please ask me! obbi threw an attack at austin and I completely glossed over it while updating the day. It wouldn't have killed him so it probably didn't matter a ton but I feel bad about it. Finally I told the medics that they had more health than they did in their role pms. I updated the spreadsheet in their favor when discrider thought my math didn't add up. Those are all the ones I noticed.

As usual please tell me what you liked and what you hated and I’ll try and make a better game next time.

And now for something unusual: Completely unasked for crude drawings of final day narration!

Here is a drawing of @SeGaTai being bricked up.
    r2vpks5av94s.jpg
    Here is a drawing of the final battle.
    76b15ck8fi4u.jpg

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I always try to play these off phone, which leads to me having very little info and staying quite.

• Options
    @SeGaTai was going to off @kime the day he was invited to the village kill squad until kime joked “when I die blame SeGaTai” and SeGaTai quickly swapped to Gizzy

Omg I love this

Steam profile
  • Options
    I always try to play these off phone, which leads to me having very little info and staying quite.

My favorite phone phalla story was when Assuran sent me an order to kill Infidel, but accidentally sent it to Baidol instead.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Telling kime I had one stronger attack was a silly play I would make again every time even with knowledge of every ability in the game

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Okay.
    So why were Medics so bad?

• Options
    Okay.
    So why were Medics so bad?

I thought they were weak just from our cover roles tbh

Steam profile
  • Options
    Liked: hollow knight stuff, was a really neat story. Also, being the least important of roles it was still nice to have night actions. Something to do/think about even if ultimately it doesn't really matter.

Looking at some of the numbers I have to wonder if the best village play was to just defend, not form kill squads. We had some bad luck with our squads this game but even with good luck the mafia have on average a LOT more life than the average villager. Defending, village prevents some damage so they stay alive longer and doesn't risk killing more village off, which is much more likely than mafia.

I trust the numbers might work out theoritcally, but with the system, the mafia gets a very large information disparity right from the gitgo, knowing several village stats and each others. Plus, trying to coordinate stuff as village is a hard hill to climb.

Thanks for running!

• Options
    No killsquads, or more killsquads? But having only 1, and it was infiltrated by the mafia (and then SK!), meant that the village's "kill squads" were essentially just an extra mafia kill.

Steam profile
  • Options
    38thDoe wrote: »

My favorite phone phalla story was when Assuran sent me an order to kill Infidel, but accidentally sent it to Baidol instead.

Here's me trying to PM @Ardor in 2008 and instead creating a thread titled Ardor. :lol:

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/52136/ardor

OrokosPA.png