Options

Butt Drugs [chat]

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I recommend Butt Drugs for everybody.
    Blossom likes to get in front of my feet so I kick her on accident and then squeals

I took her to the office and showed her to everyone and then did exactly that

So mortified

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    You know, they never made me prove I tested negative for covid before going back to work

that's sort of alarming, considering other people are taking things a lot less seriously than me

I mean, HIPAA and all that but still

actually,

but still, what exactly?

because yeah, HIPAA, probably impossible to ask legally so... yeah. That's that.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I blame Chanus.
    spool32 wrote: »
    I know someone is going to ask if that mean's I'd eat long pig and to that I can only reply

idk, no one's served it to me before

pork tenderloin is really just long pig if you think about it

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I blame Chanus.
    Blossom is just reminding you that she can end you and/or your career at any moment
    don't test that bitch

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I blame Chanus.
    Chanus wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    I don't like pumpkin pie at all, I've gotta say. I don't know why anyone does. Pumpkin tastes bland and vegetal to me. It's a pie where everything else is trying really hard to make up for the fact that the main ingredient is poor. It's like a savory pie someone tried to change to a dessert pie halfway through.

I've had pumpkin pies people went nuts over and I can barely swallow it. I need to drown it in whipped cream to even get it down.

When you eat a food and can hardly swallow it does that make you uncomfortable

Yes! Is this a sexual thing?

no, i guess it's- some sort of self-possession thing. i'm not sure. it doesn't bother me that there are a few very popular foods i don't enjoy. it would have bothered me when i was younger and more desperate for social approval but now i'm fine with it. but when there are foods i cannot swallow, it feels like a defect rather than a preference. it is useful (and, i think, speaks well to my basic discipline) that i could take a big bite or sip of a detested food to avoid being rude or to avoid starving if it's all that's available. coughing or gagging as i try to choke it down makes me feel like a child.

Wait are we saying that how easily you can control your body is the same thing as discipline

To me gagging on a food is like kicking when the doctor hits my knee with his little device. There's no moral component. Maybe I could train myself not to do it but it's fundamentally different from refusing to do something because it's hard or unpleasant. Basic discipline to me connotes, like, keeping your mouth shut when unfairly castigated by a boss, or holding your temper when your significant other behaves badly.

i sometimes gag even when i like the thing i'm eating

bodies are just very stupid things

imb88uvoh39p.png

nothing i do ever makes me feel more like a complete idiot than doing this

Me: *coughing fit*
    Friend: "haha, hey man, you ok?"
    Me still coughing: "Swallowed wrong."
    Friend: "...but you weren't drinking anything?"
    Me: "*cough* I don't wanna *cough* talk about *cough* it *cough*"

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I don't like pumpkin pie at all, I've gotta say. I don't know why anyone does. Pumpkin tastes bland and vegetal to me. It's a pie where everything else is trying really hard to make up for the fact that the main ingredient is poor. It's like a savory pie someone tried to change to a dessert pie halfway through.

I've had pumpkin pies people went nuts over and I can barely swallow it. I need to drown it in whipped cream to even get it down.

no, i guess it's- some sort of self-possession thing. i'm not sure. it doesn't bother me that there are a few very popular foods i don't enjoy. it would have bothered me when i was younger and more desperate for social approval but now i'm fine with it. but when there are foods i cannot swallow, it feels like a defect rather than a preference. it is useful (and, i think, speaks well to my basic discipline) that i could take a big bite or sip of a detested food to avoid being rude or to avoid starving if it's all that's available. coughing or gagging as i try to choke it down makes me feel like a child.

Wait are we saying that how easily you can control your body is the same thing as discipline

To me gagging on a food is like kicking when the doctor hits my knee with his little device. There's no moral component. Maybe I could train myself not to do it but it's fundamentally different from refusing to do something because it's hard or unpleasant. Basic discipline to me connotes, like, keeping your mouth shut when unfairly castigated by a boss, or holding your temper when your significant other behaves badly.

imb88uvoh39p.png

I heard a comedian bit about this. He said the #1 idiocy was when you bite the inside of your own cheek. He used it as an argument for intelligent design, arguing that you weren't designed by the same being as sunsets and mountains. What kind of off day covers the variance from sunsets to cheek biting

sig.gif
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    I have never had huevos rancheros. I should fix that sometime. Isn't it just salsafied eggs?

There's also beans and guac

typically a couple tortillas with beans, fried eggs on top, and topped with ranchero sauce

it's great!

I find that whenever my moral compass prevents me from eating a certain food, it's my compass that needs calibrating, not my diet.

Is this theoretical or has your moral compass ever prevented you from eating a food

sig.gif
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I blame Chanus.
    i ate veal once and felt bad about it later

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I blame Chanus.

imb88uvoh39p.png

I heard a comedian bit about this. He said the #1 idiocy was when you bite the inside of your own cheek. He used it as an argument for intelligent design, arguing that you weren't designed by the same being as sunsets and mountains. What kind of off day covers the variance from sunsets to cheek biting

it's not even easy to bite your own cheek

it's astounding that i do it at all much less how frequently

• Options

imb88uvoh39p.png

dara o'briain

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    You know, they never made me prove I tested negative for covid before going back to work

that's sort of alarming, considering other people are taking things a lot less seriously than me

actually,

but still, what exactly?

because yeah, HIPAA, probably impossible to ask legally so... yeah. That's that.

Oh it's just concerning because I can guarantee there are people who have a cold, get tested, go "Eh, I feel fine, I don't want to sit at home, this isn't a big deal" and then go to work anyway and lie about their test.

I dunno how to fix that other than making some special HIPAA exception but that seems extreme too

• Options
    MrMister wrote: »
    I have never had huevos rancheros. I should fix that sometime. Isn't it just salsafied eggs?

There's also beans and guac

typically a couple tortillas with beans, fried eggs on top, and topped with ranchero sauce

it's great!

I find that whenever my moral compass prevents me from eating a certain food, it's my compass that needs calibrating, not my diet.

Is this theoretical or has your moral compass ever prevented you from eating a food

call me a bleeding heart but when it was offered to me I declined the orphan ragu, citing a stomach illness

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I blame Chanus.

imb88uvoh39p.png

dara o'briain

who, by the by, is also great

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I can always count on Butt Drugs.
    Arch wrote: »
    i did a visiting scientist rotation once, and the lab all went out for thai food and there was this guy there who was religiously vegetarian

i ordered the pad thai and was like "yeah, I eat this even though it's usually not vegetarian" and he was like "i'm sorry what" and i was like "dude most recipes use fish sauce" and he got really upset, asked the waiter, verified that yes, they use fish sauce in their pad thai, and had kind of an emotional breakdown because he'd been eating there for years

i felt pretty bad about that, and kind of still do....

I respect that vegetarians generally have better ethics and morals than I do (when it comes to food), and I don't want to shame somebody for making better choices than I do

but fish sauce is used in tiny amounts and it's made from anchovies. as long as it's not being massively overfished (which it is in some regions, but not everywhere) it's just not a species I can find myself giving much of a shit about

your pad thai might have killed one-eighth of an abundant schooling fish with a brain the size of a grain of rice

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Hot take: Krispy Kreme donuts are third rate

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I’ve met dara a few times

he’s fuckin’ tall as fuck

• Options
    I blame Chanus.
    Feral wrote: »
    i did a visiting scientist rotation once, and the lab all went out for thai food and there was this guy there who was religiously vegetarian

i ordered the pad thai and was like "yeah, I eat this even though it's usually not vegetarian" and he was like "i'm sorry what" and i was like "dude most recipes use fish sauce" and he got really upset, asked the waiter, verified that yes, they use fish sauce in their pad thai, and had kind of an emotional breakdown because he'd been eating there for years

i felt pretty bad about that, and kind of still do....

I respect that vegetarians generally have better ethics and morals than I do (when it comes to food), and I don't want to shame somebody for making better choices than I do

but fish sauce is used in tiny amounts and it's made from anchovies. as long as it's not being massively overfished (which it is in some regions, but not everywhere) it's just not a species I can find myself giving much of a shit about

your pad thai might have killed one-eighth of an abundant schooling fish with a brain the size of a grain of rice

also, like, if you're going to be dogmatic about your food choices, maybe find out what it is you're actually eating

• Options
    edited November 2020

actually,

but still, what exactly?

Oh it's just concerning because I can guarantee there are people who have a cold, get tested, go "Eh, I feel fine, I don't want to sit at home, this isn't a big deal" and then go to work anyway and lie about their test.

I dunno how to fix that other than making some special HIPAA exception but that seems extreme too

you can't, because of the general thing that if I decide to just not give a shit about all the restrictions and measures nobody can realistically stop me

you fix it with people not being idiots about it and following the rules

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    Arch, with bacteria I think you just do ribosomal DNA sequencing then use the algorithm to cluster and that is basically the only useful definition of relatedness.

Why does that not work with higher lifeforms?

(it does but a lot of morphologists are very resistant to this idea)

pffffffffffffffftlol

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    I blame Chanus.
    Elldren wrote: »

Krispy Kreme donuts fresh off the line are top tier

ten minutes later they are middling at best

it's kind of impressive

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I peaked when I got to have a conversation with dara and kyle kinane a few years ago

best night

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Parking in the Rear.
    TTODewback wrote: »
    thats a good jetty. a lot of them are like just a pile of riprap and you'll break your leg trying to fish off them

fun fact, those jetties are made of the same pink granite as the TX capital building.

• Options
    I know someone is going to ask if that mean's I'd eat long pig and to that I can only reply

idk, no one's served it to me before

well, as far as you know

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    if it was served to me like it's presented in Hannibal I would go "this is morally repugnant" but not actually pause eating

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Long pig:

- Isn't factory-farmed
    - Can hypothetically be slaughtered with the consent of the animal
    - If it isn't being raised explicitly as livestock (ie, we're not breeding them and increasing their numbers to satisfy a market for long pig), slaughtering and eating them actually reduces our ecological footprint

Long pig is potentially a highly ethical and sustainable food

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I recommend Butt Drugs for everybody.

it's kind of impressive

I don't especially like the sort of doughnuts that krispy kreme are, is the main issue with them. Cake doughnuts for life.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    I blame Chanus.
    I don't especially like the sort of doughnuts that krispy kreme are. Cake doughnuts for life.

only if it's the blueberry ones.
    cake doughnuts are much too heavy and those are the only exception
    well i did have a red velvet one that wasnt too bad
    but blueberry is definitely the go to.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

actually,

but still, what exactly?

Does HIPAA actually prevent this?

Making it illegal for you to disclose information about your own health would be an odd policy choice

• Options
    Long pig:

- Isn't factory-farmed
    - If it isn't being raised explicitly as livestock (ie, we're not breeding them and increasing their numbers to satisfy a market for long pig), slaughtering and eating them actually reduces our ecological footprint

some slight adjustment to the definitions of consent are needed but sure

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I blame Chanus.

it's kind of impressive

I don't especially like the sort of doughnuts that krispy kreme are, is the main issue with them. Cake doughnuts for life.

that's fair

• Options
    I blame Chanus.
    japan wrote: »

actually,

but still, what exactly?

Making it illegal for you to disclose information about your own health would be an odd policy choice

the illegal part is the asking

• Options

actually,

but still, what exactly?

he's asking about being demanded to prove something, which is the opposite thing

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    if it was served to me like it's presented in Hannibal I would go "this is morally repugnant" but not actually pause eating

I'd be concerned about communicable diseases.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    HIPAA allows for the patient to give specific permission to reveal PHI.

Edit: Oh right.

So, I'm not sure how it works with COVID stuff, but for example, when I took FMLA leave recently because my dad was in the hospital, it wasn't 'required' for me to give my dad's PHI, but it was required for my FMLA to be approved. Basically, FMLA was a privilege; if I wanted to take advantage of it, I had to provide PHI.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    It's fucked up that we use the same orifice for swallowing and breathing but NOT the same orifice for peeing and pooping

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

actually,

but still, what exactly?

you can't, because of the general thing that if I decide to just not give a shit about all the restrictions and measures nobody can realistically stop me

you fix it with people not being idiots about it and following the rules

Ah, yes, we're doomed.

• Options
    I blame Chanus.
    hipaa just makes it were the doctor/hospital/lady working at the front desk of the clinic/whoever cannot share your medical info without your consent
    now your work can say hey share it or we wont let you come back
    but they cant call the doctor and force them to give them the test results

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Long pig:

- Isn't factory-farmed

some slight adjustment to the definitions of consent are needed but sure

that's fine. consent is a social construct anyway.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I found this delightful

https://youtu.be/zayUqREhFVg

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

actually,

but still, what exactly?

the illegal part is the asking

So in the US, if you have some kind of long term illness leading to an absence, you would just self certify that you're fit to return to work?

This discussion has been closed.