As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Belated [chat] macabre

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    who do I know this man

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    skippy those are good leafs

the arboretum is free!?

an all you can leaf buffet for $0

YOUNG MAN

There's no need to feel down

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    This magazine from early 1999 says Keanu Reeves isn't a bankable star anymore.

The fools.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i feel it is an error we are more than halfway through fall and no one has posted this yet

8ubp2ikiuuwh.jpg

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    skippy those are good leafs

the arboretum is free!?

an all you can leaf buffet for $0

YOUNG MAN

Unbeleafable

he's just trying to branch out

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    I feel like anyone who votes for Giant Meteor in an election should be investigated for actually being 50,000 cockroaches in a suit.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Nobody told me it's fall

Where's that McSweeney's

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Once upon a time?

hmmm

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    F6ZBoy9.jpg

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    You're unbelievable..

OOOOOOHHHHH

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    we went to the arboretum today for the first time, to peep some leafs, and it was great!

50580267893_99becc0389_z.jpg

50580267898_52fb1c066a_z.jpg

lots more trails to try on subsequent visits

50581125407_062999690c_z.jpg

sawyer was deeply enamored with the children's adventure guide

50580267878_2a271bbacb_z.jpg

oh shit, those are some well peeped leafs

just need some hot apple cider to complete the fall experience

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Ticket to Ride doesn't deserve to be used with that article! You just make long train lines!

Ticket to Ride, is like, legendary for being a good 'gateway' for new table top gamers.

I think it is kind of boring. So perfect for that article.

I mean, I don't own it and never will because I have so many boardgames that are vastly superior.

But a lot of those board games are more complex and aren't great for first timers.

Although, people respond well to Dead of Winter, despite it having a lot of rules.

Splendor is my go to for people that don't play many board games. Incredibly easy to learn (Rules are, like, 2 pages in total) and very strategically deep. It's a conversation killer, though, because people end up using their full attention on it, even when it's not their turn.

Theme seems to matter. If people think it looks difficult they can make it harder than it is in their minds.

It helps if you can compare it to an existing game they know. King of Tokyo was quickly understood when I said it was Monster Yahtzee.

It's honestly more about your perceived vibe than the game's vibe

If the audience has decided you're a weirdo nerd (regardless of what you're putting out) they won't learn regardless of game, and it would be best for them to just say no in advance rather than waste everyone's time

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Rftg is really annoying to learn because there's 100 different symbols. It's simple enough mechanically once you understand it but that first game is guaranteed to be a bad time. They should have just let the cards be ugly and used words

Coinage on
  • Options
    credeiki wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Ticket to Ride doesn't deserve to be used with that article! You just make long train lines!

Ticket to Ride, is like, legendary for being a good 'gateway' for new table top gamers.

I think it is kind of boring. So perfect for that article.

I mean, I don't own it and never will because I have so many boardgames that are vastly superior.

But a lot of those board games are more complex and aren't great for first timers.

Although, people respond well to Dead of Winter, despite it having a lot of rules.

Splendor is my go to for people that don't play many board games. Incredibly easy to learn (Rules are, like, 2 pages in total) and very strategically deep. It's a conversation killer, though, because people end up using their full attention on it, even when it's not their turn.

Theme seems to matter. If people think it looks difficult they can make it harder than it is in their minds.

It helps if you can compare it to an existing game they know. King of Tokyo was quickly understood when I said it was Monster Yahtzee.

It's honestly more about your perceived vibe than the game's vibe

If the audience has decided you're a weirdo nerd (regardless of what you're putting out) they won't learn regardless of game, and it would be best for them to just say no in advance rather than waste everyone's time

That can be a factor. But in this case wasn't. They just had no reference to the mechanics so it took much longer than I thought.

Also my Hungarian math professor neighbor still wears geometric pattern Cosby sweaters like it is 1993 so if anyone is to be declared a weirdo nerd...

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Isn't it crazy that we can just record video and watch it later?

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Coinage wrote: »

I have this Apple Watch and I can pair it with whatever Apple device and then use my watch as a viewfinder and remote shutter for the camera on the other thing

Spoopy

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Gritty:
    Tav wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »

a surprising amount of angry comments about this in the replies lmao

Yeah, it's weird the number of people saying that it's disrespectful to Trebek to write about him just after he's died

Even though it's basically saying that it's sad that he's dead

I mean

As somebody who loves Trebek I could see someone being upset that the joke uses his death as the vehicle for a so-so joke about that orange fascist

I'm personally okay with it and the joke also is predicated on Trebek's death being tragic

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    ticket to ride quickly became one of the cabin classics when we got it

didn't dethrone settlers tho

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I remember the first (maybe only?) time I played ticket to ride and I was just like haha I have nothing that’s working out, no plans, no way to convert any of my routes into big money

haha no point in you taking that length of track it’s totally immaterial to me the whole hope of my victory isn’t predicated on that single piece ^_^

Organichu on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Just play code names in front of people until they join in. Embrace the onion article and don't explain rules

if i've done behavior that belies this post then do as i say and not as i do

sig.gif
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

I have this Apple Watch and I can pair it with whatever Apple device and then use my watch as a viewfinder and remote shutter for the camera on the other thing

Spoopy

I know there are other applications but I can only surmise perversion behind this

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »

Spoopy

I know there are other applications but I can only surmise perversion behind this

it's the easiest way to take a picture of your own butthole

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    When I play board games with newbies I just remember to tell them the principles of fun board gaming

1) the object isn’t to win, it’s to shoot the shit with your friends for a while!
    2) everyone should be sitting comfortably and be able to reach the board easily
    3) stop saying this is confusing. This isn’t confusing, it’s a simple game
    4) announce when your turn is done so the game keeps going quickly
    5) wha - what are you doing? I explained this like, 5 times, you can’t - you can’t just move to that space
    6) take a snack break if it’s a long game
    7) look I went through all this fucking effort just to have a good time with you, my “””””friends””””””” and you can’t even - god I do so much of your stupid bullshit, remember when we camping for a whole fucking weekend
    8) ok, great, I win. Games over. Great. Let’s play fucking checkers or some shit is that simple enough for you

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Code Names is fine, as are any of those hidden role games, or even something silly like munchkin. But I don't think I've ever enjoyed a single even moderately "crunchy" board game. Whenever I play one of those it feels like the experience is 112% book keeping and -12% fun.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    New players: *fuck around and shoot the shit with other players while I'm explaining the rules*
    Also new players: "Wait, that's how it works? You never said that!!"
    Me, grimacing: "I very much did, twice in fact..."

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Turn phases, counters, novel abilities popping up, ahaha gotcha you can't do action Y outside phase X.

Three turns after realizing that you not even strategically but just mechanically bungled your play. Your hand somehow has more cards than it should given the rules for draw and discard. Keeping track of the points of resources every player has to make sure they're not on the verge of winning like tic tac toe with a dozen additional dimensions. It's just the opposite of anything I've ever found remotely exciting.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    Code Names is fine, as are any of those hidden role games, or even something silly like munchkin. But I don't think I've ever enjoyed a single even moderately "crunchy" board game. Whenever I play one of those it feels like the experience is 112% book keeping and -12% fun.

What is crunchy

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Code Names suffers because you have to be strict about discussion if you're playing it properly

So you have to note down all the bullshit decisions and yell about them once the game is over

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

What is crunchy

Number crunchy, as in, involving a lot of keeping track of counts and arithmetic and general bookkeeping

• Options
    if the rules take more than 10 seconds to explain you should probably just have everyone read them ahead of time and then you're giving your friends homework to come to your party and you should have a long think about what that says about your idea of fun

• Options
    The worst board game experience, is "wait, I have ended up with [condition that should not occur]..." and then trying to work out if you can unwind it, or if you've fatally unbalanced the game if you try to play through

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Chanus I expect you to come to the gaming table with a fully-realised back story for your character

I don't care that we're playing Monopoly

That iron has hopes and dreams, and I want to explore them

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    kayus42tqb3k.jpg

w3udeja2hxv5.jpg

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

What is crunchy
    It's got nuts or those tiny rice crisp thingies in it.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I don't care for it chanus

I don't

• Options
    Eventually I will get them to play Tzolk'in with me.

• Options
    chanus is that your tower of beef

• Options
    japan wrote: »
    chanus is that your tower of beef

man i wish

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    okay

look

I know those pictures are probably meant as like "look at this food abomination"

but that looks delicious

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    The best house rules for code names clues are a loosening of the official rules. Clues can't contain any words on the cards on the board and if you're using multiple words or any non-verbal component in your clue, they can't build something more complex than a single concept. The latter rule sounds confusing but everyone knows when they're being a shit and violating it.

"Grouchy Nun" - Bad, clearly you're using two concepts
    "John Wilkes Booth" - Ok, he's one guy and none of his names on their own would communicate the singular concept

Donkey Kong on
This discussion has been closed.