Options

🖥️🎮 - Per Aspera, Nine Witches, Haven, Phogs, Morbid & El Hijo out today!

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Is having your torso exploded by a random critical hit from some chump enemy good game design?

Probably not.

But do I like it?

Yes.

Dice rolling on skill checks, however, is just silly. Especially if there's no interesting outcome for failing. Skill success thresholds in New Vegas were a better system, I think.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular

Look, I tried to play the first Persona. Yes, I gave up in an hour, but the point is I tried!

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I liked the first two Fallouts better than the later entries... back when I first played them. I went back to try 2 again recently and nothing about that game has aged gracefully.

Yeah I loved Fallout 1 and 2, but they were amazing for their time. I can't imagine trying to play them now. I couldn't make it through wasteland 2 and that was a modern-ish version.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Is having your torso exploded by a random critical hit from some chump enemy good game design?

Probably not.

But do I like it?

Yes.

Dice rolling on skill checks, however, is just silly. Especially if there's no interesting outcome for failing. Skill success thresholds in New Vegas were a better system, I think.

You should check out Disco Elysium, a game 100% about dice rolling on skill checks

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    And which often has very interesting outcomes for failures!

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    fuck I need to get back to DE, I'm on Day 3 and got distracted by other games

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    And which often has very interesting outcomes for failures!

I honestly prefer to screw up trying to ditch the cafe manager when he tells you about your tab. It's incredible

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    that second tweet got a big ol' groan from me

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Yeah the Disco Elysium failures really stuck with me, and helped put into more stark relief the successes. The times I was able to roll a low % and succeed felt amazing, and they often had little to no direct gameplay impact, it was just like "You managed to make some people feel nice, excellent job!"

I think a lot of that is because the failures felt like they had been built into what you were doing as much as the successes. They weren't just roadblocks, "you can't pick the lock, that room with neat stuff is forever gone", they were different ways to move forward as a person who's bad at what they're doing. The actual game-over screen was mostly something that felt like an inducement to not be a total dope on purpose.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    there are a few times in disco elysium where failing a roll means that you just can't progress, so you've got to run around and try to earn a skill point to give you another go at it

those ones were really annoying

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

Probably not.

But do I like it?

Yes.

You should check out Disco Elysium, a game 100% about dice rolling on skill checks

I have played it! I liked it alot!

The new hottness is The Longing, which I have just started.

My little shade has drawn a spider and found a door that will take two hours to open.

It's pretty good so far.

Only 399 days 22 hrs 43 minutes 15 seconds until the King wakes up.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I've just finally gotten round to playing and finishing The Fall part 2, and dang, that is some great scifi and stories about robots

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm hearing that Saudi Arabian company EGDC, of which the Saudi Crown Prince is the primary shareholder, just bought SNK.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Probably not.
    But do I like it?
    Yes.
    New Vegas still suffered from the FO3+ issue of "if you can't pass this check just come back later, eventually you can just Do Everything". The first two Fallout games made you pick what your character was good at, and that was pretty much everything they were ever good at.

I like my roleplaying to be mechanical as well as in my mind, and playing a character that's a demigod who can do literally everything is not interesting. It's a really bad solution to the "only success moves you forward" design (so, thank you DE for hopefully starting a trend of "yes and" failure design).

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I'm hearing that Saudi Arabian company EGDC, of which the Saudi Crown Prince is the primary shareholder, just bought SNK.

Wonder if this means they'll actually make games again.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Wonder if this means they'll actually make games again.

They're still making KOF 15 as far as I know, although that game was supposed to come out this year, lol.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Oh man, you can nominate ANY game that came out specifically on Steam this year for the awards.

Like say... Mass Effect: Andromeda, which was exclusive to Origin until this year.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    It's possible to play through Fallout 1 and 2 without save scumming, but you have to know which skills are actually worth putting points into. The big issue with those games is the large amount of mostly worthless skills, though that seems to be a big problem with lots of old rpg's, especially those with a big tabletop background.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I found Fallout 1 & 2 to be easier to make useful characters in than Wasteland 2.

• Options
  • Options
    tSh455h.png

FREE NOW
    MudRunner
    Free Now - Dec 03 at 11:00 AM

COMING SOON
    Cave Story+
    Free Dec 03 - Dec 10

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/free-games

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone, have some games.

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DEADLOCK
    STRATEGY
    Loading...?

• Options
    BEAT HAZARD 2
    ACTION, INDIE, RETRO
    Loading...?

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Brolo wrote: »
    tSh455h.png

FREE NOW
    MudRunner

COMING SOON
    Cave Story+
    Free Dec 03 - Dec 10

More Free Games

QLMUWt3.png

Sludge Life
    Terri Vellmann & Doseone | Devolver Digital

Delores: A Thimbleweed Park mini-adventure
    Terrible Toybox, Inc.

3 Out of 10: Season One
    Terrible Posture Games, Inc.

Brolo on
  • Options
    BASINGSTOKE
    ACTION, INDIE, ADVENTURE
    Loading...?

• Options
    VERLET SWING
    ACTION, INDIE
    Loading...?

• Options
    DON'T ESCAPE: 4 DAYS TO SURVIVE
    INDIE, ADVENTURE
    Loading...?

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    tSh455h.png

FREE NOW
    MudRunner

COMING SOON
    Cave Story+
    Free Dec 03 - Dec 10

More Free Games

QLMUWt3.png

Sludge Life
    Terri Vellmann & Doseone | Devolver Digital

Delores: A Thimbleweed Park mini-adventure
    Terrible Toybox, Inc.

3 Out of 10: Season One
    Terrible Posture Games, Inc.

These have been free for a while and don't seem to have a time limit, but still doesn't hurt to grab em sooner than later. ( Sludge Life was a weird one, was a giveaway game one week, then a few weeks later just went free permanently)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    tSh455h.png

FREE NOW
    MudRunner

COMING SOON
    Cave Story+
    Free Dec 03 - Dec 10

Remember, you can get Cave Story for free at any time because it was originally released as freeware, and accepting this free version from EGS puts money in the pocket of Nicalis, who are run by racist scumbags who don't properly compensate creators.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    My Googling has failed to deliver conclusive results, so I ask here: it seems that at present the only way to get Bugsnax on the PC is through the Epic Games Store. Is there any indication of when that exclusivity deal will be up, if ever?

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Probably after a year

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    My Googling has failed to deliver conclusive results, so I ask here: it seems that at present the only way to get Bugsnax on the PC is through the Epic Games Store. Is there any indication of when that exclusivity deal will be up, if ever?

Past cases have shown that the Epic exclusivity is for a year.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    tSh455h.png

FREE NOW
    MudRunner

COMING SOON
    Cave Story+
    Free Dec 03 - Dec 10

Remember, you can get Cave Story for free at any time because it was originally released as freeware, and accepting this free version from EGS puts money in the pocket of Nicalis, who are run by racist scumbags who don't properly compensate creators.
    Cave Story+ does come with some stuff you don't get in the free version. Toggleable graphic and soundtrack updates, as well as a boss rush mode and the Wind Fortress bonus level.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Yeah EGS launch deals have generally been for a year so far

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    BASINGSTOKE
    ACTION, INDIE, ADVENTURE
    Loading...?

There is a game called Basingstoke?

• Options

captaink wrote: »
    BASINGSTOKE
    ACTION, INDIE, ADVENTURE
    Loading...?

There is a game called Basingstoke?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX57xJevybY
    Basingstoke is a tense rogue-like that mixes stealth and arcade action. Explore the smouldering ruins of Basingstoke, a world of reanimated undead and ferocious alien monsters. Scavenge as you go, crafting equipment to help you in your mission: escape Basingstoke!

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    tSh455h.png

FREE NOW
    MudRunner

COMING SOON
    Cave Story+
    Free Dec 03 - Dec 10

About this: as far as I'm aware Epic still pays the publishers for every free game license they give out.
    Cave story plus is published by Nicalis, a publisher which has cheated the original developer of cave story out of ownership of their IP, along with taking advantage of many other indie devs, so I would strongly recommend not redeeming cave story plus. The original version of cave story is still offered as freeware by the author. You can download it legally along with language patches from the links on this site: https://www.cavestory.org/download/cave-story.php

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.