As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hades II] These deities are hotter than Hades (Early Access Q2!)

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    qdqak89v55p1.jpg
    This was an interesting one. Just bouncing around the arena, criticals all the time. Frost Fair Blade, with deflect on Attack, so the spinny death wheel deflects while proccing more criticals. Demeter cast with Artemis duo, tracking enemies and triggering even more criticals.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    How do you have a 19 minute clear with the fists? I struggle with that one the most since you have to be close and personal and that causes me to die on Hades.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    shadowane wrote: »
    How do you have a 19 minute clear with the fists? I struggle with that one the most since you have to be close and personal and that causes me to die on Hades.

For my own fast Fist clears.... Demeter Aspect.

That 5-hit Special RIPS.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Dibby wrote: »

For my own fast Fist clears.... Demeter Aspect.

That 5-hit Special RIPS.

Okay that's what I kind of thought. Still getting enough blood for it to be worth it. Thanks!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    JonBob wrote: »
    qdqak89v55p1.jpg
    This was an interesting one. Just bouncing around the arena, criticals all the time. Frost Fair Blade, with deflect on Attack, so the spinny death wheel deflects while proccing more criticals. Demeter cast with Artemis duo, tracking enemies and triggering even more criticals.

Wait, level 7 and level 10 boons? How many Poms did you find? I usually only get a few per run. I think I might be undervaluing them.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    JonBob wrote: »
    qdqak89v55p1.jpg

Wait, level 7 and level 10 boons? How many Poms did you find? I usually only get a few per run. I think I might be undervaluing them.

He's using the pom blossom. If you get lucky it can level up a single skill pretty far. And depending on the items in styx that could be another 5 levels. And Eurydice.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    There's definite diminishing returns on Poms, though. You'll start to see stuff go from like 20-30% boosts to 5-10% to 1-3%. Urge To Kill is a good example of this, the first boost will pump it from e.g. 16% to 20%, but the next will only get it up to like 21%.

Pom Blossom is super super good, though. Gets you a lot of damage boosts nice and early. Though I usually drop it after Elysium for Myrmidon Bracer.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I keep telling myself I’m finished with Hades now, time to play something else.

And then starting another run.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Masamune42Masamune42 Registered User regular
    Pushed up to 8 heat with the Chiron aspect so I could see the reward for that. It's... something. Worth it, I think.

Not sure there's much more for me to do. Feeding the Olympians some nectar, but I think I'm near the end. Wrapping up Heat 5 with the last remaining weapon or two. Even runs that feel weak/poorly managed are cruising through now.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    So on my 28th run, I finally got up to Hades for the FIRST TIME. This is after not playing for like 2-3 months? Ever since they announced cross saves, I stopped playing on my Switch waiting for the cross-saves to happen. I figured I'd suck but I was surprised I got that far. This was with the Exagriff (?) - (the gun thingie). I intended to use my sword but the gun had the +20% darkness bonus thingie. I forget the names of everything, damn it.

That was actually my first time past Elysium so that was another first for me via that run.

Anyway...
    I killed him with 9 HP left! I used my Stubborn Defiance, too. I was SOOOO EXCITED.

Then then his health bar refills and kills me immediately.

Cool cool cool cool cool

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    So on my 28th run, I finally got up to Hades for the FIRST TIME. This is after not playing for like 2-3 months? Ever since they announced cross saves, I stopped playing on my Switch waiting for the cross-saves to happen. I figured I'd suck but I was surprised I got that far. This was with the Exagriff (?) - (the gun thingie). I intended to use my sword but the gun had the +20% darkness bonus thingie. I forget the names of everything, damn it.

That was actually my first time past Elysium so that was another first for me via that run.

Anyway...
    I killed him with 9 HP left! I used my Stubborn Defiance, too. I was SOOOO EXCITED.

Then then his health bar refills and kills me immediately.

Cool cool cool cool cool

That's pretty much how my first time fighting Hades went. Was a nice(?) surprise.

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    Gosh I love the way this game progresses.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    EpuEWWyXMAEJMgN.jpg
    EpuEWWyW4AEBN7P.png

Had a fun run today using Hera and Blade Rift.

Fun fact: Hera and Blade Rift is very awkward without Hunting Blades!!! But with Hunting Blades, ohhhhh my god. It shreds. A single Blade Rift shot from Hera was doing like 1.7k damage on its own.

edit: Oh I had another 30% damage from the Keepsake I was using, too.

unknown.png

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    So, okay, I bought a relatively inexpensive ($30) PC USB game controller to try this game out with, in part because my mom's got arthritis and I wanted to see if that was easier for her to use. It's an SNES style controller, an 8BitDo SN30Pro. It unfortunately doesn't work with the SteamLink device I borrowed from my partner (, which is weird, and which means I have to lug my computer physically downstairs if Mom is going to play it (... maybe it'll work on my jank-ass old laptop? It's not a terribly demanding game, hardware wise, I think? *edit* nevermind I don't think my laptop has an HDMI port lol; it has a DisplayPort and VGA but that's it, and I REFUSE to spend more money on trying to let my mom play Hades when she's probably not going to spend THAT much time with it)

re: Controller --

1) ... I ... I think I'm too much of a PC gamer grognard. This is REALLY difficult to use. I am making A LOT of stupid mistakes; I got killed in Asphodel by like a random mob. Admittedly: I was using Heat 4, and maybe I should have done an easy softball run, but still.
    2) I think I now understand why so many people seem to *despise* the Shield, and that's because the Shield is REALLY fucking annoying to use with a controller. I imagine the Bow is even worse. The Charged attack is SUPER hard to aim -- I am deffo feeling the difference in aiming between KBM and controller. I tried increasing the dead zone size and that didn't really help too much.
    3) Conversely, Dash-Striking, which I NEVER do with KBM, is WAY easier. But also hurts my hands as much as KBM did, just, hurts a DIFFERENT hand. I literally cannot Dash-special on KBM but I *can* with the controller. So. There's that.

I'm still going to try the controller with Star Wars: Squadrons and give it some more chances, but, ummm, I'm really glad I have until January 31, 2021 to decide if I want to return it to Amazon, because it may well just be that I am an old PC gamer fogey who can't quite get these new fangled controllers.

re: My mom

My mom actually died before she even got the first boon. Bless her. There isn't really any special dialogue, BUT, Nyx doesn't appear and a LOT of stuff is shut down. The game also gives you 10 free Darkness so you can at least get the Healing or Backstab Mirror upgrades before you go out again. As soon as Mom figured out she could pet Cerberus, she proceeded to do so like ten times. She always kills Skelly at LEAST twice before she heads back out. She has yet to get a second boon and I think the furthest she's gotten in Tartarus is like 4 rooms; partially because she's not very good, but also because she had to stop because her arthritis started bothering her too much (But I think less than if she'd been using KBM)

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    So, okay, I bought a relatively inexpensive ($30) PC USB game controller to try this game out with, in part because my mom's got arthritis and I wanted to see if that was easier for her to use. It's an SNES style controller, an 8BitDo SN30Pro. It unfortunately doesn't work with the SteamLink device I borrowed from my partner (, which is weird, and which means I have to lug my computer physically downstairs if Mom is going to play it (... maybe it'll work on my jank-ass old laptop? It's not a terribly demanding game, hardware wise, I think? *edit* nevermind I don't think my laptop has an HDMI port lol; it has a DisplayPort and VGA but that's it, and I REFUSE to spend more money on trying to let my mom play Hades when she's probably not going to spend THAT much time with it)

re: Controller --

1) ... I ... I think I'm too much of a PC gamer grognard. This is REALLY difficult to use. I am making A LOT of stupid mistakes; I got killed in Asphodel by like a random mob. Admittedly: I was using Heat 4, and maybe I should have done an easy softball run, but still.
    2) I think I now understand why so many people seem to *despise* the Shield, and that's because the Shield is REALLY fucking annoying to use with a controller. I imagine the Bow is even worse. The Charged attack is SUPER hard to aim -- I am deffo feeling the difference in aiming between KBM and controller. I tried increasing the dead zone size and that didn't really help too much.
    3) Conversely, Dash-Striking, which I NEVER do with KBM, is WAY easier. But also hurts my hands as much as KBM did, just, hurts a DIFFERENT hand. I literally cannot Dash-special on KBM but I *can* with the controller. So. There's that.

I'm still going to try the controller with Star Wars: Squadrons and give it some more chances, but, ummm, I'm really glad I have until January 31, 2021 to decide if I want to return it to Amazon, because it may well just be that I am an old PC gamer fogey who can't quite get these new fangled controllers.

I play exclusively with a controller, it feels pretty good. You might have to try rebinding controls to something that feels better for you. The right control scheme matters a lot. There should also be an option to turn on controller aim-assist, which helps a ton with stuff like Bow/Shield/other charged weapons. Bow will like, instantly lock onto stuff with that. I can't imagine playing without it.

For my control scheme, here's what I have, using an Xbox controller as the baseline; but I'll also label which buttons are which regardless, because some controllers are different.

(bit of terminology, first in case you're unaware! "Face Buttons" refer to the four buttons on the right side of the controller. Yknow, your A/B/X/Y)

- Attack on A (Bottom Face Button)
    - Dash on B (Right Face Button)
    - Cast on Y (Top Face Button)
    - Special on X (Left Face Button)
    - Interact on RB (small shoulder button)
    - Call on RT (large shoulder trigger)
    - Reload on LT (large shoulder trigger)
    - Pause is the Start equivalent
    - Boons menu is the Select equivalent
    - I put the Codex on Left Stick (clicking it in), because that's always something you do out of combat, so.
    - I also put Summon on Right Stick (same, clicking it) because those are limited usage per attempt and it's a VERY deliberate action and I didn't want to fat-finger it by mistake.

There might be other controller-specific options that can be toggled as well, I'd have to poke around and check... But, once you get used to Controller it feels really good and really natural. Try rebinding keys and finding a setup that works for you.

edit: Oh, and I have the deadzones set to default, so.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Poms are worthless after the first level up per boon, generally. But there are exceptions! If a boon involves low integers, then the scaling bottoms out quick. So every level of Pressure Points is 1% more critical, which is great. Similarly the Hangover-related boons and Demeter's cast both have low numbers so the scaling is great with the poms.

If I luck into Pressure Points early like this run, then I avoid getting other level-able boons where they aren't needed, to increase the likelihood that Pom Blossom will improve it, and reduce the pool of choices for other poms. I use reroll dice on pom choices. I spend money on the double poms and make sure they go toward Pressure Points (or whatever the chosen boon is). It's a specific build strategy, but it can pay off.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    That was my dodge build, using the Lambent Plume, maxed Zagreus aspect, and related boons. I had a dodge of over 70% by the end, and could afford to be quite reckless.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    From what I hear, the combination of choice for Speedrunners is the Demeter Aspect for the Fists with Zeus's boon on the primary attack. Like, get those two things together and you've already got most of a working build; since the ball lightning adds a fixed increment of damage, it benefits the most from high-attack-rate weapons, and the fists have that in spades. Plus, the lightning balls chain to other enemies, meaning you also get crowd control out of the bargain. Add the boon that gives you Jolted to that and you've got a great reusable status effect applicator, putting you real close to being able to activate Privileged Status. And when stuff dies quickly, whether single-target or double, it gets far fewer opportunities to hurt you. So if you have trouble getting a fist run going, maybe try Zeus's keepsake at the start.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I got an Xbox Series controller on sale recently and it's worked fantastically on my PC. I don't even have an Xbox - I got it just to use with my PC. Just plug it in with a USB-C cable and you're good to go. My understanding is that PS5 controllers should work as well, but YMMV based on software support.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular

I play exclusively with a controller, it feels pretty good. You might have to try rebinding controls to something that feels better for you. The right control scheme matters a lot. There should also be an option to turn on controller aim-assist, which helps a ton with stuff like Bow/Shield/other charged weapons. Bow will like, instantly lock onto stuff with that. I can't imagine playing without it.

I have aim assist turned on (I've apparently always had it turned on). I constantly end up facing the wrong way, or I attack nothing, and worst is Shield-charging into god-knows-where, mostly into lava. I don't know what it's like to have aim assist turned *off*, mind, I just know that on the PC it's "point mouse at dude, dude dies" or "point mouse in direction, go that way"

O further talks with mom... trying to figure out a control scheme that works with her. Turns out, her arthritis is worst in her *thumbs*, which means that actually KBM may be the better option, if I can figure out a way that she doesn't have to use her thumbs at all? Maybe if I bind Dash to Left Shift (and hope Microsoft doesn't do the ZOMG STICKY KEYS!?!?!? flipout. The upshot of that is that I can actually use SteamLink and not have to lug my desktop computer up and down the stairs (not that I'm actually complaining that much -- I'm a little worried about dropping it, but I'm getting a great workout lol)

Controller = probably bad, because that's 90% your thumbs. Also, Hades is a very punishing game in that regard, *my* thumbs hurt today.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

I have aim assist turned on (I've apparently always had it turned on). I constantly end up facing the wrong way, or I attack nothing, and worst is Shield-charging into god-knows-where, mostly into lava. I don't know what it's like to have aim assist turned *off*, mind, I just know that on the PC it's "point mouse at dude, dude dies" or "point mouse in direction, go that way"

O further talks with mom... trying to figure out a control scheme that works with her. Turns out, her arthritis is worst in her *thumbs*, which means that actually KBM may be the better option, if I can figure out a way that she doesn't have to use her thumbs at all? Maybe if I bind Dash to Left Shift (and hope Microsoft doesn't do the ZOMG STICKY KEYS!?!?!? flipout. The upshot of that is that I can actually use SteamLink and not have to lug my desktop computer up and down the stairs (not that I'm actually complaining that much -- I'm a little worried about dropping it, but I'm getting a great workout lol)

Controller = probably bad, because that's 90% your thumbs. Also, Hades is a very punishing game in that regard, *my* thumbs hurt today.

Controller does make a difference. When the XBox 360 wired controller I'd used for who knows how long deteriorated past the point of usability (there was constant stick drift which led to things like walking into lava in this game and other slipups in otherse) I had to temporarily switch to something else while waiting for controllers to go on sale for Black Friday. It was much less comfortable on my hands given that the 360 form factor worked so well for me and I was happy to replace it with something that was more in line with what felt right for me.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    From what I hear, the combination of choice for Speedrunners is the Demeter Aspect for the Fists with Zeus's boon on the primary attack. Like, get those two things together and you've already got most of a working build; since the ball lightning adds a fixed increment of damage, it benefits the most from high-attack-rate weapons, and the fists have that in spades. Plus, the lightning balls chain to other enemies, meaning you also get crowd control out of the bargain. Add the boon that gives you Jolted to that and you've got a great reusable status effect applicator, putting you real close to being able to activate Privileged Status. And when stuff dies quickly, whether single-target or double, it gets far fewer opportunities to hurt you. So if you have trouble getting a fist run going, maybe try Zeus's keepsake at the start.

Fists with Zeus trinket in order to get lightning on punching is how I reached Hades for my first time iirc.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    FINALLY! Victory!
    69w403y633w7.png

(Is it OK to post stuff like this without spoiler tags?)

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I just realized it’s after 3:30 in the morning. I’m in deep trouble tomorrow. Today, I mean. Shit. Thanks, Hades.

Drez on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Has anyone managed to beat
    Charon
    ? I’m not sure at what point I should try for that fight again, and if thats even worthwhile for pushing the story forward.

Oh I have good advice for this one. It's a seemingly pretty hard fight but not too bad once you figure out what you need to do.
    So first thing's first: my boy hits HARD. Everything of his hits ridiculously hard. I think his slash hits for like 50, his wave hits for 40...

In general, you wanna stay close-ish to him, not far away. This is because he always winds up to slash in front of him. That slash will ALWAYS be in front from the moment the wind-up happens. So what you do is literally dash behind him when you see the wind-up, swipe goes out, then dash behind him again (because he'll turn around and swipe where you were standing). Once you master this, the fight becomes a lot more managable. From there, it's just avoiding his waves, avoiding the ghostblobs that come from the corners of the screen (he'll motion where it'll be coming from). The last set of ghostblobs is tricky since it comes from multiple directions, you dash through one set and then dash through the second set, try to stagger dashes if possible, makes it easier than trying to cross both at the same time.

He also does do a melee-range stun aoe, occasionally, but I don't think that does damage, just stuns you. It's not too bad to eat it, honestly.

The reward is pretty good though. It's definitely worth picking up, and the more you do the fight the more comfortable you'll get with it.

I beat him yesterday thanks to your advice, so thanks @Dibby

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Question:
    Is there ANY benefit to overloading your heat level? Or should I match the current level of heat?

Drez on
  • Options
    I still can't believe I pulled that off last night. Um, I guess I mean this morning. 10 HP left. Was so nerve-wracking. Definitely going up there as one of my favorite gaming accomplishments.

Was it worth it to be extremely tired today?

Yes. Yes it was.

Funny thing was, I literally died to
    Tisiphone
    in the previous run. I was like, well, I'm regressing.

• Options
    Question:
    Is there ANY benefit to overloading your heat level? Or should I match the current level of heat?

I believe it's just if you wanted to for funsies. I don't think you get anything from it really. Well...
    Skelly's useless statue things you need a specific amount of Heat to unlock, so you could skip to higher Heat to get those faster I guess?

Steam profile
  • Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    Funny thing was, I literally died to
    Tisiphone
    in the previous run. I was like, well, I'm regressing.

There are still a couple bosses who—if they manage to off me—kinda sour me on the run just because of how bad I think I’m doing.
    Well, really just Tisiphone and Lernie. Meg would qualify too, but I haven’t regressed that far. After a few runs of Alecto, fighting Meg is just downright leisurely.

In terms of my post-Epilogue goals, all I really have left is finishing Dusa’s material. I even managed to beat…
    Charon
    …twice in a row! (Thank you, Coronacht! I’m sure more skilled players than I have done it, but I can’t imagine beating him with a melee weapon; his reach is insanely long given the size of his arena, and he hits like a freight train.)

• Options
    Question:

It's a waste of valuable resources if you do. Each incremental Heat level gives more resources and especially Titan Blood. Which is the most valuable resource.

You stop getting mats when you clear Heat 20, though. But yeah, it's worth it to do it in increments.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Question:

It's a waste of valuable resources if you do. Each incremental Heat level gives more resources and especially Titan Blood. Which is the most valuable resource.

You stop getting mats when you clear Heat 20, though. But yeah, it's worth it to do it in increments.

If your bounty is 2 Heat, and you clear at 4, does that mean you don't get a Bounty for 2-3 anymore? (For example)

Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    Question:

If your bounty is 2 Heat, and you clear at 4, does that mean you don't get a Bounty for 2-3 anymore? (For example)

That's what I'm lead to believe.. I haven't actually tried it so I don't know for certain, but that's how I interpreted it.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    hushhush Registered User regular
    if your bounty is 2, and you clear 4, you get the rewards for 2, so on the following run if you do 4 again, you will get 3 (and you weapon will show it is on bounty 3 instead of 2)

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • Options
    Yeah it's useless just because it doesn't get you anywhere faster. The bar fills up as far as it can and just tells you that you have too much heat. In some ways, it's unavoidable. Like if you want to do the boss bounty, it pushes you to 3 heat if you choose Lernie and there's nothing you can do about that.

• Options
    hush wrote: »
    if your bounty is 2, and you clear 4, you get the rewards for 2, so on the following run if you do 4 again, you will get 3 (and you weapon will show it is on bounty 3 instead of 2)

Oh, then I stand corrected! That's a good system, then.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    Went in to the run just trying to progress a quest and walked out with a new personal best on speed.
    d6csnh43l20e.jpeg
    Zeus Fists, Ares Dash, dash fists with +dmg on hitting same enemy.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I think it's worth it to overheat to either select the pacts you're most comfortable with. For instance: I can easily beat the 3rd boss fight with the extreme measures, but certain other pacts would make the whole run rough.

There's also something to be said about playing on a difficulty level that will challenge you, even if you're not quite there yet with the rewards. So if you're good with a weapon, crank up that heat and enjoy a challenging run, instead of grinding out easier runs.

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    The best reason to overheat is gates.
    The jump to 5 or 10 (or 15) heat can give you more options in a run and remove that feeling of missing something when you go by one.
    I'm not going to say 5 heat can be easier than 4, because of gates. But it can be more fun.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    What's the deal with Erebus gates anyway?

I am in the business of saving lives.