As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My Grandmother is Dead and a Powerful Witch

Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
A few weeks ago (I can’t believe how fast time has spun on since) my gran died, and while that’s a shame, this thread is mainly about all the radical stuff she would say and do. Talk amongst yourselves, I’m just gonna be posting about her as I remember things until the Christmas Hangout wipes the thread.

To start with, she used witching as a verb. She’d say “I’ll witch you up a brew!” when she’d make people a cup of tea. “A bit of witching will do it.” when she’d put a plaster on someone and kiss it. There was such a glint in her eye, as much to say: I know I’m talking nonsense, or am I?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Your grandma sounds awesome

• Options
    edited December 2020
    I could tell you tales of her really elaborately, but instead I’m just going to state this like the fact it is. Her vocation between raising her children was making and icy cakes, you know, classic wedding cakes, birthday cakes with a theme in a funky shape, all that. She once made a cake for a lord’s banquet (members of parliament have holiday homes around our area etc., not like, Medieval lords) but he refused to pay her chosen price... So she cut the cake out and sent him only the icing. She donated the now considerably smaller but just as delish cake to a local cricket match as a half-time snack.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    God, that kind of grandma pettiness is so good, I love it

Veldrin on
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    It absolutely rules that your grandmother thumbed her nose at a noble. Incredible.

I'm sorry for your loss.

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • Options
    It’s cool mate, thank you though.

So gran lost both of her parents when she was 13, and the following year she got her first job at a biscuit factory. Her job was essentially to put her much smaller arms into stalled machinery and dislodge things, then pull her arm out before it was ripped off. This, naturally, gave her a dislike of heavy machinery, so much so rather than learn to drive a car, or even ride a bicycle, she travelled everywhere from 1960 onwards by push scooter.

4kg9cpymu72g.jpeg

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    I'm sorry for your loss, and grateful for your thread.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    There is an awesome energy in that thread title.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    She sounds like an absolutely dynamite lady, and I would like to read her biography.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    My gran’s sister wasn’t related to her. It was their choice when they were children, and besides, records were iffy between the 30’s and 40’s, especially for orphans, so you could do that.

My great aunt went on to be a founding supporter of the new pagan movements, though once they’d solidified into Wiccan and the like, she made no hard choice. What she did do was travel the country fixing up our ancient (and some not so) chalk drawings.
    hvpgyq9m5p28.jpeg

However, despite all this, she considered my gran to be far more magical. I think about that sometimes.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    How could I not click on this thread

• Options
    After a couple years in the factory World War Two begin, and with it the factory was converted to something entirely different. It was not until my twenties I connected her ability to make homemade sparklers and her time mass producing bombs.

Oh, it’s about this time I should say she freely borrowed space and equipment from a local welding yard.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Endless, your grandma sounds fucking rad. I wish I had known her, and also this thread makes me miss my grandmother that raised me

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    was your gran's first name perchance esme

was her last name perhaps weatherwax

• Options
    @Darmak Looks like she did a good job too. Hope you have a good Christmas!

• Options
    Gundi wrote: »
    was your gran's first name perchance esme

was her last name perhaps weatherwax

If you told me Terry had met her once and got the idea for how he’d portray witches, I’d believe you. Though I’d say she had a dollop of Ogg in there too.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Or maybe a Granny Aching?

• Options
    Ah yep, you got it.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    My gran gave birth to seven babies over the course of her life, but only five survived into adulthood. They were her first, and they are still considered the eldest of her children by all, unironically, despite them only living a matter of days. A few of her grandchildren and great grandchildren are named after them as a mark of respect. I don’t really have some great story concerning this, I just wanted to make note of it, and moreover, that she was unshakeably courageous and good natured.

After nearly a century she is now buried with them, along with her husband, my good old grandad.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Would it be okay to turn this into a general grandmother appreciation / story thread?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Go for it! Any oldie will do, grandfathers are not exempt.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Honestly this is goals <3

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    My wife, years after us having been married, nonchalantly brought up in conversation that her paternal grandmother had been a bruja. I had never heard of brujeria before, and so I was wildly curious how her father's side of the family could be both Catholic but also into witchcraft and stuff. She didn't know, as for her it was mostly just weird stuff her grandmother would do and have them do when my wife and her sisters would visit her in Mexico, but I ended up reading about the subject on the internet for hours.

I only met her grandmother once, just a few days after our wedding. She didn't speak any English but she seemed real nice and genuinely happy for us, and now I'm sad I'll never get to know her (she passed away several years ago)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    In 1961 the pill was introduced to England, but only for married women.

Gran was now a typist for a hospital, something like a record keeper, logistics officer, you know. Though as you can imagine, at a minimum wage. The extent of her out of hours actions there aren’t for the likes of me to know, but towards the end of her life she did tell me of how she would smuggle small amounts of the contraceptive strapped to her ankle to those in need, and whatever else might be needed to stop pregnancy, on either side of the event.

Everything about this was illegal, like genuinely life imprisonment illegal, like sent to Australia if you’re lucky illegal. But she said: Letting a girl drink bleach when she didn’t have to was more so.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Also for the record my grandad was a nice man who smoked a pipe, had two beers on a Saturday, never swore and replied to most things with “Hm.”

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'm always vaguely sad when I hear rad stories of some incredible Antediluvian like this who I will not be able to meet.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Also for the record my grandad was a nice man who smoked a pipe, had two beers on a Saturday, never swore and replied to most things with “Hm.”

Reminds me of my Dad's Dad who, when my soon-to-be-wife's parents asked him when he was born (1926) and then followed up with "You must have seen a lot of changes", responded with:

"No." (the tone of voice really made it, guess you had to be there to hear the resounding sense of finality).

• Options
    Skipping way forward, the last year of gran’s life was hard on her, but more so for my own mum. Alzheimer’s had put gran in a home for her own good (she’d left a pan on the stove for three hours one day, amongst other forgetful ventures) a couple years prior, but now it suddenly shifted into a dark pool, or heavy veil, over her mind. She could barely put a sentence together, though fortunately she at least knew my mum’s name, if not the wider cast of her family. My mum had always looked to her for advice, even as her short term memory faded, and later as past event evaporated. She’d told me over the phone she missed her laugh. So I got thinking.

A week later I turned up in my hometown one afternoon, a couple days before Halloween, with a present. I took out Gran’s false teeth and replaced them with novelty glow in the dark vampire fangs. She immediately and gleeful began chasing the nurses! Okay, fine, she was using a frame and I held her, but there’s was definitely a manic intent. She cackles, my gran, and refused to take them out until her nap. It was something, to know she was there, or half there, before we had to let her go the following month.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    My grandparents on mother's side were born in rural Iowa during World War I and knew each other most of their lives. My grandmother bucked tradition and went to college to get a teaching license (my mother would, much later, do the same), while my grandfather went to an engineering college. They were already courting by this time, as the Depression set in, and my grandfather would often take the train to the far side of Iowa to see her. They married immediately after both of them graduated, just in time for WWII to get going.

Grandfather got a job with Chance Vought down in Dallas, where he designed flight control systems for, among other aircraft, the F4U Corsair. He also had a range of other interests and hobbies, including furniture making, and architecture. He made most of the furniture in their house, many pieces of which are still in the family today. Grandmother was a stay at home mom for their three kids, cause it was the 40's, and took a real interest in educating them. She was very gifted at cooking and took great pride in preparing Thanksgiving for the entire family each year.

I blame my grandfather for my interest in all things mechanical. He'd often tell me about aircraft design stuff. You know the usual things you tell your five year old grandson.

• Options
    DessertedDesserted Dessert desertRegistered User regular
    Your grandma sounds like a delightful person. I'm glad you have so many good memories of her.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    As someone who never got to know their grandparents (late child of a late child). Keep the rad grand parental stories flowing in for vicarious glory.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    My grandmother used to get yelled at by her doctor for not eating and being too light. So she started putting a brick under her hat when she'd go to appointments.

She also used to crochet frogs and if you opened their velcro mouth you'd find it would open all the way down their body and there would be a stuffed dink in there.

She used to tell her kids that when she died she'd be sure to do it in the winter because the ground was frozen and that way they couldn't just bury her in the backyard.

She was pretty much my favorite person.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Yeah 3 of my grandparents died real young and my grandfather had severe dementia by the time I was old enough to remember a relationship with him, and so I look at my daughter now who demands FaceTimes not just with her grandparents, but also her still-very-active great grandmother and want that to last forever for her

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I’m always envious of stories like this. My grandparents all mostly sucked and were incredible boring people.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I’m always envious of stories like this. My grandparents all mostly sucked and were incredible boring people.

I had both. One set was super boring and traditional but my dad's parents lived on a farm and were full of hell. My grandfather on that side got busted for growing weed. He was just using it for when he ran out of tobacco and couldn't afford more.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I never got to know my grandparents as the last of them passed when I was 5, but good Lord if you write a book about your grandmother's life, use the title of this thread, it is powerful

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My father's parents were probably quite interesting, but my grandfather led a complicated ratbag life and we never really got to know him. Ditched my grandmother when my father was 12, leaving her with three kids and having to work full time. We think even before that he might have had another secret family in another state, but it's unclear. Charming as heck though.

On my mother's side, my grandfather lied about his age to join the army at 16 and ended up in Papua New Guinea for most of WW2. Gained a reputation as a slick negotiator for food, goods - whatever you wanted he could make happen, and taught the local kids to play cricket. He was with the engineers corps, mostly doing bridge building and demolition, so we thought he never saw combat, but towards the end of his life when he was being treated for cancer he would tell me blurry incoherent stories about trench fights with Japanese soldiers. Sounded grim.

After he got back, he married my grandmother, who was a nurse with a secret passion for geology. I would have been fascinated to see what she would have done if born in a different era - she was a terrifyingly fierce woman who should have been a ceo or something, not a housewife.

• Options
    A much less pivotal moment: I just have vivid memories of bees ending up in my gran’s house, and her giving them a drink of water out of a thimble. I suppose it must have been every summer until I left home.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Cello wrote: »
    I never got to know my grandparents as the last of them passed when I was 5, but good Lord if you write a book about your grandmother's life, use the title of this thread, it is powerful

Myself and my family are pretty private usually, but I’ve started thinking about it, but could I do it without naming names? I suppose I could fiction it up...

Edit: Nah.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    My grandfather on my mom's side, my poppy, he was a good man. He was a drunk, but had nothing but love and support for his family and he tried.
    He called me Little Andy and his death is the death that taught me the truth of it.

my grandmother on my dad's side, she's the reason I like coffee and puzzles.
    Marooned in upstate New York, she'd spend her days drinking coffee, smoking cigarettes, and doing jigsaw puzzles. She also always had the police scanner on, despite nothing ever happening.
    I learned later that some of my cousins were semi-professional criminals and my fuckin' grandma kept the police scanner on so if she heard any talk about them, she could warn them.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    At my grandmother's 75th birthday, we played a home "To tell the truth" game, with relatives taking the place of the fake grandma, and then a series of questions designed to help us identify the "real" grandma.

Anyway one of the questions was "what was your favourite year?" and all her five children start shouting out their own birth year, like "1950!" "1958!", all trying to get her to declare them her favorite or whatever.

She thinks for a minute, holds up her hand for quiet, and says "1960..." Everyone's like, huh? 1960? What happened in 1960?

"The year I went on the pill"

Fucking savage