As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend me a Language Learning App!

EncEnc A Fool with CompassionPronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
edited February 2021 in Help / Advice Forum
As the title days, for professional development purposes I want to re-learn Spanish as I let it slide after college and could use both in the near future. Anyone have any specific apps or programs they would recommend? Something phone-based and able to work in 30m-1hr chunks would be ideal.

I'm specifically looking for Spanish right now, but apps that also accommodate other languages with the same framework are a plus.

My current tops are Babbel and Rosetta Stone, but I'd love to hear about others or experiences with either.

Enc on

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    My sister (Spanish) and my dad (German) have been using Duolingo for ~1 year now, and seem to think it's working pretty well.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I use Duolingo to learn Spanish for work, as I work with many people in Paraguay who speak Spanish natively. I figured it's a good way to meet them halfway as many are learning English. It's my suggestion based on what I've tried.

I've tried a few before settling on Duolingo.

Babbel I thought was not worth very much. In the trial, it's centered entirely around learning nouns. Like, ok, learning what a cookie is sure is nice, but like, you can't hold a conversation if you know the Spanish names for some foods. I don't know where it picks up to get to verbs and actual sentences, but it wasn't in the trial, and I wasn't going to pay to keep learning what tea and lunch are, and I still can't even have a basic conversation with my coworkers.

I also tried Lindvist. They offer a week trial. It was a little bit better than Babbel, but I found Duolingo is best for me.

Rosetta Stone I did not try, because they didn't offer a trial, and I don't want to spend my money blindly. And absolutely nobody I know has ever used it. At work, it's either Duolingo or Babbel.

Duolingo is free, but you can pay for it if you like. Of course, if you don't, it's a ad supported. If you don't pay the sub, you only get so many lesson retries a day, or so many mistakes you can make before watching an ad. Something like that. Each area has 5 levels, and there are 4-6 lessons in each level. And there are stories, which is more organic. I actually really like the stories, because it coddles you a little less, which makes it harder, and after a certain point everything turns into Spanish. Like, the instructions are in Spanish, so you have to learn what it's asking to answer the question. And it stops giving the option to translate some words, which I really like. Usually you can click or select with your finger a word or small phrase, and it will translate it. It does that less and less the further I've gone, and that I think really helps with the immersion and learning.
    What I dislike is that story progress is tied to doing the lessons, and after a while I've found myself just farming easy lessons to get enough crowns to do more stories. And they're super easy, I'm like much further one, and it's asking me about schooling and such.
    Also, it's very very focused towards school children, like middle or elementary school. There are TONS of lessons about schools and the like. And that's ok, but I don't work with people who are still in high school, so it's not important at this point. But I do it because it's there and easy.

If you have the time and you're not under pressure, Duolingo is the way to go. But it's very slow. If you want to learn faster, there are faster ways. Up to an hour a day isn't a lot.
    After almost a year of doing it daily, more or less, I think I can hold a conversation with a 3 year old. Maybe.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    The recent adoption of the hearts mechanic for English speakers learning Spanish has made Duolingo substantially less friendly, but it's still what I use too. The stories are definitely great, and they also have a weekly? podcast that's a varyingly complex story to listen to. I constantly forget about it, so I haven't listened to many to really have a good sense of them, and those were a fair bit ago.

That said, Duolingo isn't great for learning something from scratch, but as a refresher + expansion of your prior learning it's perfectly fine. I just wish I had someone in person to practice it with at all so progress wasn't excruciatingly slow.

If you do subscribe to it, it sounds like it's a lot more flexible, and allows you to test ahead if you remember a fair bit rather than having to grind to new bits.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Duolingo seems like a good option for us right now. I'm going to give it a try for a month and see where I'm at. Thanks all!

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I'm doing Duolingo (in Spanish) as well, and it's been fine (315 day streak to this point). I've made my way through most of the stories by now, I'm just having a hard time getting past one of the lessons that's irregular verbs in the past tense, though. Duolingo seems to be good for learning a language to the level of generally getting-the-idea-across, but when it gets to these sorts of details I find that I would appreciate an actual textbook with the details of what's going on -- duolingo has "hints" which are this sort of explanation, but I feel like there's still gaps where you have to kind of reverse-engineer the language based on what the correct translations are.