As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Subaru Outback Belt Question

BrodyBrody The WatchThe First ShoreRegistered User regular
A couple of years ago, we bought a used Subaru Outback, and since the timing belt had not been replaced, we went ahead and swapped that out. We took it in for a oil change, and they said the Engine Drive Belt was cracked. I'm having a really hard time determining if that is the same belt. My wife mentioned to the service desk guy that we had replaced the timing belt, and he insisted that this was a different belt, but I can only find one belt in my search for 2011 Outback belts. Is there something I'm missing, is he wrong?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Could be the serpentine belt, which is pretty easy to check yourself. The serpentine is the one that drives the alternator, power steering pump, and a few other things (might be more than one, my mother's Forester has two). You should be able to rotate the pullies it's attached to by hand with the engine off. Run your finger over the width of it in a few spots, and if it's fraying get it replaced. They can last a while, but it's one of those parts that should be replaced every five or six years, because they will shred themselves eventually if they're the stock belts.

edit- actually, this one's not too hard to change yourself, depending on how big your hands are and how much room you have in the engine compartment. Belts aren't that pricey and you should be able to find a Hanes or Chilton manual at your local library if you can't find the right diagram online.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    it's not. the drive belt does steering and some other stuff

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I eventually found a video of someone pulling off the drive belt, and he had to take off the serpentine first. Ended up having a local shop change it, and a couple of other things the dealer had quoted, all for about the same cost as fixing just one of the things the dealer quoted.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Yeah, I eventually found a video of someone pulling off the drive belt, and he had to take off the serpentine first. Ended up having a local shop change it, and a couple of other things the dealer had quoted, all for about the same cost as fixing just one of the things the dealer quoted.

If I'm not mistaken, some of those belts on subies are stretch fit and a pain in the ass for people without tools. Glad you found a shop that could give you good value!

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...