As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bravely Default] BD2, the third game, is now on the Switch! Keep spoilers hidden!

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited March 2021 in Games and Technology
gxehdeiinefn.jpg

History

The original Bravely Default, known in Japan as Bravely Default: Flying Fairy, is a role-playing video game developed by Silicon Studio for the Nintendo 3DS handheld console. Bravely Default was originally released in 2012, while an expanded edition titled For the Sequel was released in 2013 in Japan, Europe and Australia, and in 2014 in North America. Square Enix published the game in Japan, while Nintendo handled publishing duties overseas. The gameplay uses a turn-based battle system and job system, in addition to incorporating options to combine job abilities and adjust battle speed and random encounter rates.

Bravely Default II is the third game in the Bravely series, following the original game, Bravely Default and its direct sequel Bravely Second: End Layer. While Second was a direct story continuation from the original, Default II features a new story and cast of characters.[3] Similar to prior titles, the game plays as a role-playing video game with turn-based battles. The game also contains a variant of the prior game's "Brave Point" system, and use of collecting different "asterisks" to change a character's job class.

Bravely Default 2 is set in a new world from prior games, on a continent named Excillant, divided into five different kingdoms. The game follows four main characters; a young sailor named Seth, a refugee princess named Gloria, a travelling scholar named Elvis, and a mercenary named Adelle.

Jobs

While a full job list hasn't been shown yet, there is probably going to be some overlap from the first two games. Here are some example jobs we can probably expect:

Arcanist, Black Mage, Conjurer, Dark Knight, Freelancer, Knight, Merchant, Monk, Ninja, Performer, Pirate, Ranger, Red Mage, Salve-Maker, Spell Fencer, Spiritmaster, Summoner, Swordmaster, Templar, Thief, Time Mage, Valkyrie, Vampire, and White Mage

I'll update the OP later as more info and protips become available.

FOR THE TIME BEING, PLEASE KEEP STORY SPOILERS HIDDEN! THANKS!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Thanks for doing this, @MNC Dover !

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Don't forget some of the new jobs, like Beastmaster and Pictomancer. I'm really hoping Pictomancer is fun.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    This game is supposedly arriving today!

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Played about an hour and a half of this last night. Spent most of it cutting grass. Can't wait to get further into it.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    It looked like it was on sale at Walmart?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    It looked like it was on sale at Walmart?

yeah if you can find it in wal-mart its 49.99 USD.

• Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    Played about an hour and a half of this last night. Spent most of it cutting grass. Can't wait to get further into it.

cutting grass is the greatest thing ever.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    And when you dont pay attention to something on purpose, then forget it releases soon, you get to be wonderfully surprised at its release. Can't wait to jump in.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Is anyone far enough in the game to tell me how extensive Bind & Divide is? Can you challenge NPCs basically anywhere to a game?

Enlong on
  • Options
    i just got a delivered message from best buy and it appears to be just for preorder coasters... so maybe game will be there when i get home? maybe i can have a drink on my table at least

• Options
    god damn it

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    First impression:
    They start you with an asterisk?

• Options
    edited February 2021
    First impression:
    They start you with an asterisk?

Hmm. That’s suspicious.
    I wonder if Elvis is going to turn out to be the Black Mage job master or something.

Edit: oh wait, maybe not.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Ok, so (prologue, first boss fight)
    im quite suspicious of that sequence where I have 30 seconds to walk Seth to the Wind Crystal to choose to keep living. The fact that it was a choice I had to make has my mind working on it.

Given previous games I’ve played, I wouldn’t be surprised if I will eventually revisit that moment, with the obviously bad option being what I have to do.

• Options
    Holy crap. Buy Star Pendants early on. +500 max HP. That’s huge early game.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Anyone else having a problem getting Party Chats to respond? I have to push + like 3 or 4 times before it acknowledges it.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Ahaha... be careful with baits.

Two enemies linked on the overworld sent me into a 5 battle chain. It was worth double JP at the end though, I ended up with like 500 JP for that single fight outside Savalore. Let me finish getting -ara spells on Elvis and Purge on Adelle. But it was a slog, and thank god for Lunar-Powered on Elvis. (I'm thinking mages just want both Lunar and Solar set if they can for the constant MP regen)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I was wondering why you'd want to chain fights...

• Options
    White Mage seems like a good job to master in general. The level 11 skill allows you to be healed above your normal max HP if it’s equipped. Seems like a good thing for a tank.

• Options
    Yeah, but pushing to mastery aint happening early game. Or at least, some of these other passives are high value.

• Options
    Oh aye. Level 11 WHM seems to be something you push mid-to-late game, for things that hit really hard. But picking up Solar and Lunar Powered and trading them out seems a nice thing to invest time into for Mages early on.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    This didn’t get a lot fanfare, did it? Reviews seem positive.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Anyone else having a problem getting Party Chats to respond? I have to push + like 3 or 4 times before it acknowledges it.

Whenever this is the case for me it's usually because the game is auto saving.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Yeah, but pushing to mastery aint happening early game. Or at least, some of these other passives are high value.

I'm surprised how hard JP up is to get.

• Options
    Ok so I guess I misunderstood how the boat works. Can you not close the game? That sounds like a recipe for Blood Moons.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Ok so I guess I misunderstood how the boat works. Can you not close the game? That sounds like a recipe for Blood Moons.

It's for when you put the system to sleep, not close the game.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I put my system to sleep before I did the same, but got nothing presumably because I also closed the game instead of leaving it suspended.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Yes the game has to be running for it to work. If you exit the game then the timer for how long the boat has been out won't go up.

The timer also doesn't go up if you're playing the game. You have to actually put the switch to sleep for it to progress.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I put my system to sleep before I did the same, but got nothing presumably because I also closed the game instead of leaving it suspended.

Well yeah...the game is closed, then, not sleeping.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Ooh. Flame Talisman is good on Monk.

• Options
    made it to the demo area. still loving the game. loving the known bad guy, gimme that sweet sweet armor.
    interesting to see some new areas in the demo area, looking forward to moving this plot along. also has anyone figured out what the
    stone archway things are for? They look like they should be portals but i haven't found a way to activate them

• Options
    Something potentially interesting I noticed (I’m in chapter 1)
    even in the promo coasters and place mat, Elvis is in the Black Mage costume instead of his Freelancer costume.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    even in the promo coasters and place mat, Elvis is in the Black Mage costume instead of his Freelancer costume.

End of prologueish
    Well, his teacher was clearly in the Black Mage outfit in the flashback. So I think he inherited the asterisk from her.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

End of prologueish
    Well, his teacher was clearly in the Black Mage outfit in the flashback. So I think he inherited the asterisk from her.

Ohh, I didn’t notice that.

• Options
    Ah, progressing chapter 1, and I'm getting to where I can start doing silly things.

Just swapped Adelle over to Vanguard. So now she's a bare knuckle fighter in full plate.

Got a passive on Seth that reduces all damage he takes by 30% whenever he attacks with his weapon. Vanguard is not a tank, vanguard is an "attack every turn" machine, because you also have bonus physical attack any time you get hit while not defaulting. So now that he defends by attacking, and has a taunt...

The latest job I unlocked has a late passive that says your attack increases for the turn every time you Brave, which seems potentially silly combined with something like Monk and their high power HP trade strikes.

• Options
    Yeah, I’m getting towards were the demo ended, and I’m excited to start doing silly job combos. I’m thinking I’ll make Elvis a Beastmaster on top of Black Mage.

Vanguard definitely feels like a tank that can do stuff every turn, whereas Monk feels like it wants to stock up BP.

Does anyone know if increased Luck (from Freelancer’s Lucky Charm) does anything to make Monk’s Strong Strike hit more often?

• Options
    Prologue, towards end:
    Can you run anywhere else besides the light? Getting Airy telling you to stop pressing the button vibes.

• Options
    Yeah, I’m getting towards were the demo ended, and I’m excited to start doing silly job combos. I’m thinking I’ll make Elvis a Beastmaster on top of Black Mage.

Vanguard definitely feels like a tank that can do stuff every turn, whereas Monk feels like it wants to stock up BP.

Does anyone know if increased Luck (from Freelancer’s Lucky Charm) does anything to make Monk’s Strong Strike hit more often?

For the last - there's a load screen tip that suggests the answer is yes.

• Options
    Nice.

I mean, I’m probably gonna use Phoenix or Flying Heel Drop instead most of the time, but it’s cool that that works.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Question: I played Bravely Default for a bit but phased off of it without getting very far. Bravely Second is still in shrink wrap. I may want to come back to them someday but to everyone’s knowledge does anything in Bravely Default II spoil anything in BD/BS? Any callbacks? Is it a direct sequel? Same characters/etc.?

I know I can look this stuff up but I’m hoping someone can give me a non-spoilery answer.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar