As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Pandemic in a Pandemic

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    startin to get cheesed at my stardew valley shipping

this marks the second fedex location it has just straight chilled at for two days and it ain't even near my state yet

im bout to do a whole tantrum, my stampin foot is gearin up

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular

this marks the second fedex location it has just straight chilled at for two days and it ain't even near my state yet

My copy finally came today. The comments about component quality weren't wrong. The cards and some tiles are fairly thin. The map is just a big sticker on the board, and mine came scrunched up due to its folds.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

Fedex is out of their minds lately. We had a LEGO box sit in a facility that's 30 minutes away, for a WEEK. Like can I just drop by and pick it up myself .

I'm fighting the urge to go all in on the Everdell complete package kickstarter. And if being honest, slowly losing said fight.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Yeah, FedEx is crazy crazy backed up. Everything's delayed a lot.

• Options
    Dashui wrote: »

My copy finally came today. The comments about component quality weren't wrong. The cards and some tiles are fairly thin. The map is just a big sticker on the board, and mine came scrunched up due to its folds.

Ahhhh, American made quality.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

Fedex is out of their minds lately. We had a LEGO box sit in a facility that's 30 minutes away, for a WEEK. Like can I just drop by and pick it up myself .

I'm fighting the urge to go all in on the Everdell complete package kickstarter. And if being honest, slowly losing said fight.

I haven't had a chance to pick up any Everdell since I got back into boardgaming and am also eyeing the complete package. Good deal overall.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Academy Games just launched a Kickstarter for a 4X based on Stellaris.
    Supposedly it's a 2hr game, regardless of player count, and has legacy elements for each race you play that will balance the increased technology with increased goals needed to win?

Sounds interesting, but it's $170 for the deluxe.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I actually have the base game for Everdell and am still tempted by the all-in pledge. It's $100 for the two new expansions and the big box. If I bought all of the other expansions the all-in set comes with, not including the base game, it would be more than another $99...

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I'm moving into a new apartment and looking at options for board game storage. I know Kallax or equivalent cube shelving is the go-to, but I also have some longer games that won't fit in the cubes. What solutions have people here come up with for storage and display?

• Options
    I'm moving into a new apartment and looking at options for board game storage. I know Kallax or equivalent cube shelving is the go-to, but I also have some longer games that won't fit in the cubes. What solutions have people here come up with for storage and display?

Friend of mine just got the box throne system. They love it and I'll see it in person Saturday.

You can leave the back off or cut out certain cubes for long games if it isn't against a wall. Most pictures I've seen just have those games on top.

I currently use plastic storage shelves, but I'm hoping to build some of my own this year

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

You could build a Kallax without one of the small vertical support pieces, basically creating a double wide section. You'd obv have to be wary about what you put above it as you'd lose that support, but like one section out of a 4x4 would work. Could even rig up a support bar or something at the back if particularly concerned. Here's an example of what I mean:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ikeahacks/comments/fqgo0c/i_removed_one_of_the_dividers_on_the_kallax_to/

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Supposedly it's a 2hr game, regardless of player count, and has legacy elements for each race you play that will balance the increased technology with increased goals needed to win?

I saw news of this yesterday, and I'm super interested in what it's doing, but I'm also super put off by the price point and the fact it's essentially a Kickstarter-only release (at non-extortionate prices, anyway).

I haven't bought a board game in a long time, and this trend of high-priced Kickstarter-only games is really turning me off from the hobby.

So, does anyone here have a rational, compelling argument why I'd put (significantly non-trivial) money toward this?

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    Well, the impossible occurred and I painted all my 40k / Warmachine models, over the past pandemic.
    I figure next step is boardgame related stuff, so I started adding some flair to half of my Root warriors.
    7f69gbl0d8zz.jpg
    The rest here.
    https://i.imgur.com/nRCRxIY.jpg

Up next is Spirit Island, gods help me...

Witchsight.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    With the Marauder kickstarter, they are talking about Root fan festival or fan days or something. You should show those pics to Leder games!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Nips wrote: »

I saw news of this yesterday, and I'm super interested in what it's doing, but I'm also super put off by the price point and the fact it's essentially a Kickstarter-only release (at non-extortionate prices, anyway).

I haven't bought a board game in a long time, and this trend of high-priced Kickstarter-only games is really turning me off from the hobby.

So, does anyone here have a rational, compelling argument why I'd put (significantly non-trivial) money toward this?

Well, I have two thoughts:
    1: Academy Games has a decent track record. So you're going to get what you pay for, generally speaking.

2: They may not be widely available, but I have seen their Kickstarter products sell on the market for less than the Kickstarter cost (though shipping is a concern), so it will likely be available in some way after people get a chance to play it.

I probably will end up not backing it. However, I do find it very interesting and would love to give it a try. If it looks interesting, it is probably worth snagging an early bird, and then watching as many play-throughs as possible that they host or post or stream to know if it's truly something you want or drop it and maybe grab it secondhand somewhere.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    I got a 4x4 Kallax a few years ago and a 1x4 with little doors. The 1x4 sits horizontally on top of the big unit. "Normal" sized games go in the main 4x4 shelving, small games go in the 1x4 cubbies with doors, and anything too big to fit in the main cubbies goes on top.

As of right now, that unit is holding exactly 100 games and is at capacity. Conveniently, I only have six games that don't fit in a cubby, so on top they're in a managed 2x3 arrangement.

It's not a perfect solution if you're OCD, but I think its generally aesthetically pleasing. Also, since I've been using it, it's served as a guardrail on my collection size. Anytime a game doesn't have a place, it's time to retire something to the attic.

Anyway, love my Kallax.

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    Dark White wrote: »
    I got a 4x4 Kallax a few years ago and a 1x4 with little doors. The 1x4 sits horizontally on top of the big unit. "Normal" sized games go in the main 4x4 shelving, small games go in the 1x4 cubbies with doors, and anything too big to fit in the main cubbies goes on top.

As of right now, that unit is holding exactly 100 games and is at capacity. Conveniently, I only have six games that don't fit in a cubby, so on top they're in a managed 2x3 arrangement.

It's not a perfect solution if you're OCD, but I think its generally aesthetically pleasing. Also, since I've been using it, it's served as a guardrail on my collection size. Anytime a game doesn't have a place, it's time to retire something to the attic.

Anyway, love my Kallax.

I suppose a visual might be helpful.
    2o5eyng420a3.jpeg

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I took over our Kallax since we moved to use as a temporary space until we figure out where we want the games to go. Honestly, it isn't my favourite either, but I'm also not fond of continuing to use the old cupboards I used to for my games. Box Throne looks nice but it's both hilariously expensive and US-exclusive. Annoyingly, I suspect it's quite hard to compete with Ikea having a 90% good solution for that price, so I don't expect to see much innovation in the storage solution space ...

ArcticLancer on
  • Options

guess who's got four thumbs and is in?!?!
    my cat, he's polydactyl and stepped on the keyboard

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular

If the game ends up being actually worth buying you'll be able to get it after the kickstarter. Don't buy games that you're not sure of because of bullshit FOMO Kickstarter pressure.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

If the game ends up being actually worth buying you'll be able to get it after the kickstarter. Don't buy games that you're not sure of because of bullshit FOMO Kickstarter pressure.

Not to be the devil on one's shoulder, because I do agree with this sentiment on the whole, but I think one of the reasons I feel more susceptible to the bullshit FOMO pressure here than in other spheres of life is because one of my all time favorite games, Incursion, was made by a developer who ended up shuttering for non-game-quality related reasons, and wasn't able to get their deluxe second edition into retail like they had initially planned post-kickstarter. I ended up buying a scalped copy of the second edition from some guy from China and it was, uh, perhaps a bit more expensive than it would have been had I just backed it when I could have.

Edit: That being said, this is way less likely if you're looking at a licensed project from an established developer and not a seat-of-your-pants operation run by two nerds from texas with a board game and a dream, even if that board game and that dream are both excellent.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I'm unsure on Everdell's latest campaign. The expansions do come to retail. The box is nice, but I'm also debating if all that content is really necessary. I have the base game and have never felt compelled to dive into more than maybe one other expansion.

Stellaris sounds interesting, but they have posted no rules or playthroughs. Their third-party video is a pair discussing the game rather than having actually experienced it. There's not a lot of information on its flat page for how it actually plays. I'm wary.

Here's another thing: Stellaris isn't the first game to attempt a non-destructive legacy game. Leder Game's Oath: Chronicles of Empire & Exile has the same pitch and it's almost at people's doors. You can get it off Game Steward for not much more than the Kickstarter cost. It's not a 4X game, though, like Stellaris. As someone who already owns Eclipse 2E, I may put myself in a holding pattern.

It's been a crazy for Kickstarters lately. We still have Mythic Battles: Ragnarok coming in just under two weeks. Super Fantasy Brawl 2nd Round just launched, too. I sold Zombicide: Black Plague and backed its new Western-themed game (something like 70 characters come in the base pledge). I need this to stop.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular

Not to be the devil on one's shoulder, because I do agree with this sentiment on the whole, but I think one of the reasons I feel more susceptible to the bullshit FOMO pressure here than in other spheres of life is because one of my all time favorite games, Incursion, was made by a developer who ended up shuttering for non-game-quality related reasons, and wasn't able to get their deluxe second edition into retail like they had initially planned post-kickstarter. I ended up buying a scalped copy of the second edition from some guy from China and it was, uh, perhaps a bit more expensive than it would have been had I just backed it when I could have.

Edit: That being said, this is way less likely if you're looking at a licensed project from an established developer and not a seat-of-your-pants operation run by two nerds from texas with a board game and a dream, even if that board game and that dream are both excellent.

My kickstarter attitude is also predicated in the fact that there are approximately a zillion games, and even if you miss a great game there are a thousand other great games. Probably many of them sitting unplayed on your own shelf already ;)

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea I already have too many board games that even pre-pandemic don't see the table. It would take an epic game, or more likely a really tight rules light game that takes less than an hour for me to buy it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Yea I already have too many board games that even pre-pandemic don't see the table. It would take an epic game, or more likely a really tight rules light game that takes less than an hour for me to buy it.

Our group likes to play at least 3 games per night. 45 minutes to an hour games are the sweet spot. I have wanted to get Spirit Island, but the length is a deal breaker.

The wife and I have started purging games that don't hit the table. Popular or out of print stuff sells pretty well, but common stuff just gets donated. You may have something that you don't like that others do. Make room for something new and get some beer money.

Dirk2112 on
    NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

Our group likes to play at least 3 games per night. 45 minutes to an hour games are the sweet spot. I have wanted to get Spirit Island, but the length is a deal breaker.

The wife and I have started purging games that don't hit the table. Popular or out of print stuff sells pretty well, but common stuff just gets donated. You may have something that you don't like that others do. Make room for something new and get some beer money.

My group was usually good for 4-5 hours, so hour 1 was usually fun quick games like sushi go and other quick games that you could get a few done in an hour. Get the ol' board game juices flowing. then either a big game to eat up the rest of the time, or two or three of the hour long games.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I’ve given a guy $70 cash outside a bagel shop for Pax Renaissance and considered that a killer score so I’m right there with you, but consider that if you skip three games because you resist FOMO that’s $200-500 saved for the one game that blows up for whatever reason.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

I'm not sure if I've reached saturation after a number of crap 4x games or if that is just a very bland low effort Kickstarter.

My interest has evaporated though

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Stellaris sounds interesting, but they have posted no rules or playthroughs. Their third-party video is a pair discussing the game rather than having actually experienced it. There's not a lot of information on its flat page for how it actually plays. I'm wary.

Yeah, the concept description of the game hits a lot of the right notes, but the lack of any gameplay description whatsoever beyond character creation is waving all kinds of red flags at me. They're supposedly going to do some TTS streams, which should help. But, like, maybe get a couple of those in the bag before you launch your campaign?

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

The only storage solution that works to properly hold all our games and taking up the least amount of space is a tardis.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    So Stardew Valley

Is

The

Flippin'

BOMB.

We had so much gat dang fun, my stars. An absolute blast, 14/10.

• Options
    nwrabenwrabe Insidious Squid Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    On the non-Kallax side, I’m partial to these generic adjustable wire shelves. I hate storing my games vertically, and they break down pretty compactly if you have to move.

I also enjoy being able to move things around and mess with shelf heights from time to time to reorganize which games are a priority.
    42zlsl2t3svj.jpeg
    ak2fnjkz1vwf.jpeg

nwrabe on
  • Options
    admanb wrote: »

I’ve given a guy $70 cash outside a bagel shop for Pax Renaissance and considered that a killer score so I’m right there with you, but consider that if you skip three games because you resist FOMO that’s $200-500 saved for the one game that blows up for whatever reason.

It also helps that, in my anecdote, I already knew I loved the game because I owned the first edition and had put together a lot of the PnP stuff for it. Picking up the second edition was kind of a no-brainer, but at the time I thought I'd be patient at wait for retail so I could avoid the large shipping charge and also support my FLGS.

Whoops!

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    My kallax shelves are for prominent displaying of board games in the public space. When I get my own house, I'll probably aim to have a board game pantry/cubby and then I'd use wire frames for all those reasons.

That said, storing vertically means I can just pull out a game I want without messing with what's under it, though it definitely causes problems with some games...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    antherem wrote: »

Yeah, the concept description of the game hits a lot of the right notes, but the lack of any gameplay description whatsoever beyond character creation is waving all kinds of red flags at me. They're supposedly going to do some TTS streams, which should help. But, like, maybe get a couple of those in the bag before you launch your campaign?

They raised a milllion on the strength of the IP. Hopefully they don't see that as a sign they don't need to bother with mechanics

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    This prompted me to look into how The Great Wall was doing, as the last Kickstarter I was mildly interested in that I jumped back from due to a lack of rules and abundance of minis.
    Production delays were expected, but apparently they've rewritten the rules from when people first backed it and potentially playtested, so ... that's nice. I sure hope it's actually improved.

• Options
    This prompted me to look into how The Great Wall was doing, as the last Kickstarter I was mildly interested in that I jumped back from due to a lack of rules and abundance of minis.
    Production delays were expected, but apparently they've rewritten the rules from when people first backed it and potentially playtested, so ... that's nice. I sure hope it's actually improved.

Yeah, I've got that with 1001 Odysseys. They're over a year overdue, and still writing story, and tweaking gameplay. However, they've been fairly good at updates, so I've got decent confidence that they'll eventually delivery.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    GUYS IT ARRIVED

Stardew Valley is gorgeous. Also a lot more components than I even thought. Everything is beautiful... except the player pawns, which seem like they really cheaped out on.

As far as manufacturing quality, I don't have a problem with the thickness of the tokens; there is one set of tokens that seems to be a bit thinner than the rest, but they're not meant to be mixed with the thicker tokens anyway, so while it does seem unusual, it doesn't really bother me. The rest are fine.

Won't be able to play it with the housemate squad until tomorrow, but I might set aside the project I was planning on working on tonight to knock out a singleplayer game to learn the ropes.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

Yeah, I've got that with 1001 Odysseys. They're over a year overdue, and still writing story, and tweaking gameplay. However, they've been fairly good at updates, so I've got decent confidence that they'll eventually delivery.

Haven't been worried about this one honestly. Especially since attempting to deliver last year as estimated would have screwed everything up anyway I figure they might as well take this frankly ambitious project and give it the time it needs.

• Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    You know what? I'm gonna talk about Flaming Pyramids.

We were looking for a filler game on BGA for our weekly online sessions (we usually start out with a try or two at The Crew, then move on to something heavier, then end with two or three runs of Incan Gold as a traditional mind-cleanser). Last week we tried out Res Arcana for the first time, and while browsing the 5+ player games available FP was suggested.

Let me tell you: it's a simple game, but it's not mindless. And when you've maneuvered your piece placements to engineer a situation in which you absolutely screw over the person following you, and they manage to pull off successful piece placement anyway, you cheer for them for getting out of your trap. And then there's the Jenga-like rush of watching the pyramid collapse, only to start building it again.

You only have the opportunity to directly affect two other players: the one who played before you if they were sloppy and you have a piece to line up a Curse situation, and the one after you who has to deal with what you just played. Because you're cooperatively building a pyramid, the opportunity to lay a new base tile, and thus play nearly anything without worrying, cycles among all the players regularly and no one gets an unfair benefit.

It's fun, quick, and looks like a bad flash game, but give it a spin.

Going to give this a shot after reading your recommendation. Any suggestions on which gameplay options are worthwhile in BGA (Fire, Curse, Fire Dice)?