Options

The [NHL] Thread - On Dadanov’s No-Trade List

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I guess it's time to start talking about The Next One.(tm)

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    When (or maybe where) are we going to start getting expansion draft analysis? Who teams are saving, who looks to be a good pick up, who won't play well with who?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    When (or maybe where) are we going to start getting expansion draft analysis? Who teams are saving, who looks to be a good pick up, who won't play well with who?

You'll see that tick up a bit after the trade deadline. I would say that we'd have to wait until after the regular season to really start hearing it, but with there not being too many compelling playoff races, I can see hockey media looking for something to talk about down the stretch.

The expansion draft takes place a couple days before the regular draft, you can expect a lot of talk about it after the first round of the playoffs when the number of teams playing gets cuts to 8 and there are only a couple games a day.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    The canucks held a media conference with their team doctor today, and in good news he said they appear to be on the back half of the covid outbreak. He obviously wouldn't get into too many specifics, but said that the worst is likely over and the team is on the road to recovery.

There is no concrete timetable as to when the team will play again.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    In other Canucks news, they committed more money than is wise to a depth player again. If I want to see a team I root for win the Cup before I die, I might just have to become a Kraken fan.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    Corvus wrote: »
    In other Canucks news, they committed more money than is wise to a depth player again. If I want to see a team I root for win the Cup before I die, I might just have to become a Kraken fan.

One of us! One of us! One of us!

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options

Are you on The Athletic? There has been a lot of this stuff on there. Also check Sportsnet.ca and TSN.ca

As ESPN is now an NHL carrier starting next year, I expect their website will start to be more fleshed out for NHL

• Options
    Corvus wrote: »

Are you on The Athletic? There has been a lot of this stuff on there. Also check Sportsnet.ca and TSN.ca

As ESPN is now an NHL carrier starting next year, I expect their website will start to be more fleshed out for NHL

I have not been particularly sports oriented for years. I am definitely planning on picking up ESPN+ for the next season, but for now I'm just trying to figure what is worth reading/watching, where to find it, and how much I can actually process and feels worth my investment in either time or money.

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Avs bring back Nemeth. Hope you have more on the table than that, Joe.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Agreed. He's actually a solid depth guy buuuuut not a Cup run guy

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    If Joe just gets a solid goalie I'll be happy.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »
    If Joe just gets a solid goalie I'll be happy.

Looks like you’ve just grabbed Dubnyk for Paterson and a 5th:

• Options
    edited April 2021
    This feels like that scene in Arrested Development when Michael looks inside the bag labeled “dead dove”.

I don’t know what I expected, but it wasn’t Dubnyk. At least he was cheap, I guess.

Jayricho on
  • Options
    Why the Sharks ever signed Dubynk I don’t know.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I am stoked for Doooob

Compared to Miska and Johanssen he is an elite backup. Would have liked Bern or Reimer or Elvis but I'll take it. He doesn't need to be the best, just enough. And behind one of the best d corps in the league, I think he'll do fine.

And giving up Pateryn (a minor leaguer) and a 5th he was basically traded for nothing. The team has amazing chemistry right now so I'm glad Joe didn't break up any lines. I'm okay with this.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Though I feel weird, in his prime in Minny he was an absolute Avs killer. I cursed his name many nights.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Anyone know is Calder eligibility is going to be prorated for a full season?

Cause I would like Radim Zohorna (2-2-4 in 5 games) to be eligible next year, and there aren't enough games left in the season to hit 25 games played

Edit: big time mark donk/buzz flibbets energy

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Though I feel weird, in his prime in Minny he was an absolute Avs killer. I cursed his name many nights.
    And that’s more my thing, I just don’t like him. It just feels dirty to me. Like the time the Avs picked up Brad May or Darius Kasparaitus. I HATED them.

Feel like the Avs are also kind of soft and let other teams rough them up a little much, and Dubnyk is a headcase (for a goalie even) who gets thrown off his game easy.

Jayricho on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Men's college final in 30 minutes. UMass or St. Cloud going to win their first ever title.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Tampa just laundered a bunch of cap space so that they can make a trade and not go over cap.

The NHL is real weird sometimes

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Jayricho wrote: »
    And that’s more my thing, I just don’t like him. It just feels dirty to me. Like the time the Avs picked up Brad May or Darius Kasparaitus. I HATED them.

Feel like the Avs are also kind of soft and let other teams rough them up a little much, and Dubnyk is a headcase (for a goalie even) who gets thrown off his game easy.

By Odin I hated Brad May

I don't remember why I should hate Kasparaitus

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    H0b0man wrote: »
    Tampa just laundered a bunch of cap space so that they can make a trade and not go over cap.

Aka pulling a Toronto

• Options
    Kasparaitus was dirty as hell too.

Can’t wait for Kucherov to be miraculously ready for Round 1.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Everyone is expecting that for Kucherov. As far as I'm concerned, multiple teams are shelving guys for the playoffs via LTIR

• Options
    Toronto is essentially doing that with the Nash deal. Stash him on LTIR until the playoffs, but also get some cap flexibility.

I still think Hall ends up with the Leafs, even though we don’t actually need him. Another d-man, please!!

• Options
    edited April 2021

Wait, so Detroit is just taking 25% of a player's salary to their cap for a fourth round pick, even though that player want even on their team?

Brody on

• Options

Wait, so Detroit is just taking 25% of a player's salary to their cap for a fourth round pick, even though that player want even on their team?

Yup, free draft pick when you suck is a good plan.

• Options

I guess it's never been clear to me if retaining some of the cap means you are actually still paying money, or if it just counts against your budget.

• Options

I guess it's never been clear to me if retaining some of the cap means you are actually still paying money, or if it just counts against your budget.

Could be both, but not always. If the player has already been paid and then gets traded, it’s only his cap hit that the new team has to worry about.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I finally went all the way through cap friendly's expansion draft for Seattle, and I have come to the conclusion that I would be an absolutely abysmal GM

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    chromdom wrote: »
    I finally went all the way through cap friendly's expansion draft for Seattle, and I have come to the conclusion that I would be an absolutely abysmal GM

congrats half the teams in the league just offered to hire you

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    WHOOHOO!

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular

It's honestly pretty smart for Detroit. If you have cap space and are in the middle of a rebuild why not take on some salary in exchange for draft picks. Especially right now with the cap ceiling staying flat due to the pandemic, cap space is more valuable than ever. Might as well cash in if you have space to spare.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Yearly Taylor Hall sweepstakes are over, and Boston picks up a nice little rental:

Elliotte Friedman is a beard and turtleneck aficionado, and an NHL journalist.

• Options
    Bruins only have a 4 point hold on the last playoff spot. Good news for them is that if they happen to fall out they’re a shoe in to win the lottery with Hall now!

• Options
    Nemeth and now Soderberg. Sakic putting the band back together.

• Options
    edited April 2021

you do retain both salary and cap in those transactions, but it's only on money still owed to the player, so if a player has bonuses that have already been paid, then you don't pay the real money on that.

Take Connor McDavid for example. his cap hit is 12.5. if a team trades for him and the oilers retain half his salary, both teams have a cap hit of 6.25 million.

But for this season, Connor McDavid is paid a bonus of 13 million on July 1, and his actual salary for the season is $1 million. So if the trade occurs on July 2, the oilers have already paid that bonus, so both teams pay 50% of the actual money remaining, which would be 500k each. Both teams are on the hook for 6.25 against the cap, but the oilers end up paying 13.5 out of 14 million in real dollars.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    Wings trade Mantha to Washington for a first this year, second next year, Jakub Vrana, and Richard Panik.

• Options
    Was never really a doubt, but Leafs are in win now mode. Picked up Foligno, Rittich, Hutton, and Suomela, only losing Barabanov and picks. Leafs now only have 6 pick left in the next two drafts, but have a pretty good prospect pipeline.

Robertson in the lineup tonight, looking forward to seeing him again.

• Options
    Nice bit of business there for Detroit. Very similar player metrics on those two, plus a 1st and 2nd round pick.

This discussion has been closed.