As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Homestuck]: Turns out the ride NEVER ends

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Problem Sleuth 3: Dangeresque, Too?!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I'm not quite sure what I want from Hussie at this point. I'm not sure if this is Homestuck related or not, but it's got a lot of the same elements: same character designs, same ironic humor, same odd celebrity references. And maybe it's time Hussie tried something else? Start something quiet, maybe with a complete different feel (like And It Don't Stop, for example,) and only reveal that, yes, there is a big epic plot that he snared us with. Or is this another Homestuck thing? It's hard to tell, and at this point, Homestuck feels more like Star Wars, post-Jedi, or Doctor Who between classic and modern eras. What parts are canon and/or worth it? We have the epilogue thing, Homestuck 2, the Pesterquests, the Friendsims, and Hiveswap. I guess SOMEBODY is buying them, but it's hard to tell what's popular with the waning interest on this forum.

On the other hand, if somebody actually made a AAA game that's actual Sburb, I'd get that Day 1 still. And I still wonder what could have happened in a different reality, where Hussie had his own Robert Khoo. Would Homestuck have infiltrated the mainstream via a movie franchise? Would we be talking about Homestuck season 6 moving to HBO Max? And what of the reality where he didn't trust his Kickstarter money to the wrong people, avoiding years of having to restructure and the ensuing burnout?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2020
    I wanted something where Hussie could stretch his legs again artistically, and instead we get more of the same Homestuck-esque art complete with GIS images painted over. Intentional? Probably! Doesn’t make it something I’m interested in seeing.

Nonetheless, glad Hussie is freeing himself from the shackles of Homestuck.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    if nothing else, a visual novel seems like the perfect type of game for Hussie

as much of a love-letter to adventure games MSPA up until early Homestuck was, it rapidly moved into a more (for lack of a better word) linear structure that focused more on dialogue than weirdo puzzles

also visual novels take a lot less money to make and are just generally easier to program so, y'know

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Also it's entirely possible the celebrities and random Juggalo were just as much of a fakeout as the trailer indicates and won't actually be in the game. Though the clown girl seemed to fit in well enough with everything else.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    I like the GIS collage thing he's settled on as his trademark style, personally, it's unique and fun to look at

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    It's only chapter 1 right now. I'mma wait until 4/20 to blaze through the full release

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    So, I had a gap in my games to play, and I just replayed Act 1, so it looks like it's finally time for me to try Act 2! WERE DOING THIS, WERE ... ehh, you all know the bit. Has anyone actually gotten around to playing it yet, still?

I forgot how many people were involved with this. Toby Fox doing the music isn't really a shock, but Temmie Chang was among those in the animation credits, and additional writing credits include folks like Ryan North and Chris Hastings.

• Options
    And done! These are ... interesting games, probably closest to the Telltale Games Sam and Max series, particular in how each one is a self-contained act. The puzzles are even simpler, especially with how many earlier areas are cut off as the plot advances. Of course, you can't really complain about a game being on rails when most of it takes place on a train.

The biggest surprise?
    Almost half of the game's total length was dedicated to a whole Phoenix Wright-style trial.
    Overall, I had fun, but then I did get it for free, along with Acts 3+ should they ever come out. The main appeal was meeting a shitload of new trolls, and for once I actually can keep track of the 11-13 (depending on how you count them) troll blood types. At least collectively the new trolls are better than the Beforus ones, back in the day.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    On the other hand, if somebody actually made a AAA game that's actual Sburb, I'd get that Day 1 still. And I still wonder what could have happened in a different reality, where Hussie had his own Robert Khoo. Would Homestuck have infiltrated the mainstream via a movie franchise? Would we be talking about Homestuck season 6 moving to HBO Max? And what of the reality where he didn't trust his Kickstarter money to the wrong people, avoiding years of having to restructure and the ensuing burnout?

It turns out that the wrong person to entrust your Kickstarter money may actually be named "Andrew Hussie."

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    well shit, I believed the original spin on it that is responding to from back in the day but that account also sounds pretty convincing. That's disappointing.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    well shit, I believed the original spin on it that is responding to from back in the day but that account also sounds pretty convincing. That's disappointing.

yeah honestly that version of events makes, more sense than i wish it did!

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular

tobyfox
    @tobyfox
    UNDERTALE is coming to XBOX... and this time... (puts on sunglasses) It's rated Teen.

Because... we added that really small slot machine.

scandalous.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options

Right? I wonder if we could get in touch with some of the artists associated with Hinestuck, like Lexi, who were regular forum members. Get their take on the subject.

Also, if TOG got 800K of the KS money, what happened to the remaining million+ or so?

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Development of the eventual Hiveswap I'd assume.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Boy irregardless of the truth of anything else that whole "launching Hiveswap 2 with no credits and the credits in 1 being really incomplete" thing is real shitty!

edit: oh hey it got worse

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    turtleant wrote: »
    Boy irregardless of the truth of anything else that whole "launching Hiveswap 2 with no credits and the credits in 1 being really incomplete" thing is real shitty!

edit: oh hey it got worse

I heard that one of the reasons for a lack of credits in Act 2 was because some of the creative team were getting DEATH THREATS, which is admittedly a bigger problem. Of course, at this point I'm willing to take more of this with a grain of salt.

One thing that article didn't note, though, was MSPA being acquired by Viz Media back in 2018. So while Hussie is probably responsible for some of the fuckups before than, more than we'd been led on to think, that's another factor with things like Paradox Space getting shunted off of the website and whatnot.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Mixed feeling for sure, but nonetheless it's 4/13 y'all.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohFyOjfcLWQ

A fairly solid breakdown of the last 12 years, albeit with a big focus on the latter era of mismanagement and such especially

• Options
    edited April 2021
    ASimPerson wrote: »

Yeah, "happy" Homestuck Day I guess?

Incidentally, the youtube thread shared a video about Homestuck a few pages ago. I'm about a third of the way through it myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohFyOjfcLWQ

And apparently there's lots of hostility between fans and antifans and whatnot and ... sigh. You know the unpleasant bits of fandoms, though you'd think years later the fervor would died down more.

ASimPerson, you were the biggest Homestuck archivist back in the day. How do you feel about Homestuck these days? What do you think Homestuck be become years down the line? Will there be any big Homestuck projects in the future, or will Hiveswap and Homestuck 2 just end with a wet thud and then ... that's it?

EmperorSeth on
  • Options
    Homestuck^2 disappeared from the twitter today.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Homestuck2 is dead, huh?

Also the homestuck game Kickstarter has a new post.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »

It was a fun ride back in the day.

Let’s fondly remember frantically posting UPDATE like 20 times a day when the comic was fun and at its peak or how fucking cool it was when a flash update dropped.

• Options
    Homestuck2 is dead, huh?

Also the homestuck game Kickstarter has a new post.

Cripes, is that a thing. Basically paragraphs of damage control, addressing pretty much everything we've been discussing about the Odd Gentlemen situation, the credit issues, and basically everything I've seen so far on the above video. Is it okay to post a kickstarter update post here, or is that against the rules?

• Options
    Linking of kickstarters is forbidden.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Has anyone gotten far along with Psycholonials? Curious about if it's worth any investment so far

• Options
    We've never been closer to the end of Homestuck

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Sad thing is, if AH just had a game studio made a rpgmaker rpg with some good music and good writing, it would’ve done fine and none of this drama would happen.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    As someone who went straight from Earthbound to Undertale, I have a Homestuck question. About Megalovania specifically.
    Could the context in which Megalovania is used in Homestuck be considered the result of character actions where bad things were the result but it didn't have to be? Like they kept pushing and pushing until things snapped?

I ask because both Doctor Andronuts and Sans very much feel like this, and it led me to form an incomplete hypothesis about Megalovania being the theme of "That's it, no more screwing around. Things are going to suck for you now, and it's entirely your own fault."

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    As someone who went straight from Earthbound to Undertale, I have a Homestuck question. About Megalovania specifically.
    Could the context in which Megalovania is used in Homestuck be considered the result of character actions where bad things were the result but it didn't have to be? Like they kept pushing and pushing until things snapped?

I ask because both Doctor Andronuts and Sans very much feel like this, and it led me to form an incomplete hypothesis about Megalovania being the theme of "That's it, no more screwing around. Things are going to suck for you now, and it's entirely your own fault."

Yes and no
    in homestuck, the song is used for a moment where a character who's been tormented for years by a villainous character finally tries to stand up to her, but it's too little too late; she's way too powerful now and effortlessly kills him. And then she feels a lot of guilt about killing him even though she wasn't expecting to, and that sort of starts her on the path toward a redemption arc. It's a really major inflection point on both characters' arcs. Earlier the story had toyed with the idea that he was going to be the hero to stop her, or that the two of them would become romantic partners, and it's just sort of like, all those options fell apart and their relationship ended in the worst-case scenario

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Yes and no
    in homestuck, the song is used for a moment where a character who's been tormented for years by a villainous character finally tries to stand up to her, but it's too little too late; she's way too powerful now and effortlessly kills him. And then she feels a lot of guilt about killing him even though she wasn't expecting to, and that sort of starts her on the path toward a redemption arc. It's a really major inflection point on both characters' arcs. Earlier the story had toyed with the idea that he was going to be the hero to stop her, or that the two of them would become romantic partners, and it's just sort of like, all those options fell apart and their relationship ended in the worst-case scenario
    I see. In UnderBound Megalovania is used after the character(s) have pushed past the point of no return, but it looks like in Homestuck it was reserved for the actual crossing of the Rubicon.
    Interesting. And thanks!

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    It also kind of just became Theme of Vriska at some point, or at least was used as such? I might be misremembering (it's been how many years?!), but I seem to recall that Megalovania was her theme in the walkaround flashes.

• Options
    Neveron wrote: »
    It also kind of just became Theme of Vriska at some point, or at least was used as such? I might be misremembering (it's been how many years?!), but I seem to recall that Megalovania was her theme in the walkaround flashes.

Vriska's theme isn't exactly megalovania but it has a lot of riffs from it

• Options
    I associated it strongly enough with vriska that I thought she was gonna be a super secret cameo boss fight in undertale when I listened to the soundtrack before I looked up walkthroughs of the very bad ending

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    https://whatpumpkin.com/
    Announcement posted on 4/20/2021:
    In early 2020, Hussie officially left What Pumpkin to work on new projects unrelated to Homestuck. In the time since, they completed a new project called Psycholonials. The final chapter of this visual novel was just posted today, and is available on Steam and mobile platforms. While Hussie still retains ownership of the Homestuck IP, they decided last year to fully discontinue their creative involvement in any future Homestuck projects, and instead plans to continue independently developing more projects like Psycholonials.

• Options
    so did the ride finally end?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. Bones' Wild Ride never ends

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    the rides
    will
    never stop,
    the rides will never stop

uc3ufTB.png