As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy the 14th, where the end of the world is on the way!

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I have never had this much fun doing old content in a game. I actually don't want to get to current content

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I think your gonna be a little lonely with the opinions that the nier raids aren't good fights and aren't aesthetically interesting. crazy nonsense plot is to taste

I'm not seeking agreement but rather attempting to explain why I don't like them. I couldn't care less if my opinion makes me 'a little lonely'. I don't need other people's approval of my thoughts about video games.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    With the recent raid tier, it occurred to me that one reason it takes longer than other raids is that folks are focusing on not dying, and so aren't DPSing quite so smoothly.

But as folks learn the raid and gear progresses past the minimum ilvl, things will move quicker.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Yeah speaking as someone who always jumps in as a healer week 1, week 1 kill times on raids are d o g s h i t because all the dps have a rez debuff on them :cool:

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I had one group finish the 3rd boss before the second round of meteors landed so people are already getting better at it. I only have the gear to do it as blm though so I can't do anything but dps it

which is probably good I have a tendency to spend 24 man raids as a healer running in circles jumping a lot

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Is the next possible info dump on the expansion in an event in May?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, fan fest will almost certainly drop more details.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    So Shadowbringers physical copy (which includes Heavensward and Stormblood) on PS4 is on sale for $20 on Amazon.

Only had a copy of the base game on PS4 so this will get me up to current so I can try the PS5 version and see how it compares vs PC.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Is the next possible info dump on the expansion in an event in May?

Yeah, the FanFest is May 14-15.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    So Shadowbringers physical copy (which includes Heavensward and Stormblood) on PS4 is on sale for $20 on Amazon.

Only had a copy of the base game on PS4 so this will get me up to current so I can try the PS5 version and see how it compares vs PC.

Where are you seeing this, so I can badger my friends into getting it?

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I had forgotten how boring Xenos and Fandaniel are as antagonists.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    I had forgotten how boring Xenos and Fandaniel are as antagonists.

Fandanial isn’t TERRIBLE. The problem is he just Kefka.

Zenos doesn’t even have THAT going for him.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Finished the Nier tier. I think the third one might be the most fun of the 3, though i should re-run the other 2 as it's been a while. It just seemed like it was way easier to read the bosses' attacks than in the previous ones. More of a conscious scrambling rather than a "the fuck do i do?"

However, the effen quests to unlock and finish up the questline were insufferable. Likely because I play on an OG PS4, but having to do a load screen every 3 lines of dialog only to walk 10 feet to do another 3 lines of dialog than then sends me back through the load screen was unbearbly irksome.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Mugsley wrote: »

Where are you seeing this, so I can badger my friends into getting it?

https://www.amazon.com/FINAL-FANTASY-XIV-Shadowbringers-PlayStation-4/dp/B07N8TDWVH/

Keep in mind this doesn’t include the base game, just the expansions.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    The base game is free, so that should be fine.

• Options
    If you're trying to get people into the game probably just have them do the trial (which is basically everything through 3.x now) the next expansion will drop later this year and include Shadowbringers in that purchase anyways.

• Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Finished the Nier tier. I think the third one might be the most fun of the 3, though i should re-run the other 2 as it's been a while. It just seemed like it was way easier to read the bosses' attacks than in the previous ones. More of a conscious scrambling rather than a "the fuck do i do?"

However, the effen quests to unlock and finish up the questline were insufferable. Likely because I play on an OG PS4, but having to do a load screen every 3 lines of dialog only to walk 10 feet to do another 3 lines of dialog than then sends me back through the load screen was unbearbly irksome.

That was just as annoying on PC, and I was skipping everything because I do not give a shit about Nier.

• Options
    I like Nier and Automata, and I'd still recommend skipping all the story in the Nier raids.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Man, I'm bummed, I know I had pre-ARR characters, but I guess I must've deleted them at some point? Nuts. No fancy tattoo for me.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Still do not like the gear in the latest round of Nier raids. They got tanking and maiming right, and then gave up.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    For keeping to the theme, tanking and maiming win. The healer/caster set is nice though for females, the top in particular is just a nice piece for glamour. The other set for physical dps? Eh... kind of iffy. Top is okay.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Stormblood patch content
    This Garlean kid, Asahi, is saying all the right things and yet I don't trust him at all. I think it's that smirk?

Am I racist against Garleans...?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Stormblood patch content
    This Garlean kid, Asahi, is saying all the right things and yet I don't trust him at all. I think it's that smirk?

They kind of did a few iffy things in the past, didn't they?

• Options
    tbh the story could stand to be meaner to garleans

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Stormblood patch content

I'm sure it's nothing

• Options
    Stormblood patch content

Take heart, by race he's not garlean, he's Yanxian. So you're only an ethnicist against Galeans.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I think your gonna be a little lonely with the opinions that the nier raids aren't good fights and aren't aesthetically interesting. crazy nonsense plot is to taste

I'm not seeking agreement but rather attempting to explain why I don't like them. I couldn't care less if my opinion makes me 'a little lonely'. I don't need other people's approval of my thoughts about video games.

that's a common misconception

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »

You have at least myself in your corner. I dont like the 24 mans this expansion, especially the last one. For many of the same reasons you mention and others I've mentioned in the SE thread that I won't waste everyone's time by repeating here.

• Options
    So..... crafting is fun, yeah. How do I make Gathering fun? Because right now it seems pretty boring. Is it fun?

Steam profile
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Gathering gets a bit better when it introduces collectibles and aethereal reductions, but otherwise doesn't hugely change at higher levels in the same way crafting does. Matter of fact in some instances it introduces a mechanic like it's going to be a big thing and then never uses them again(hi spearfishing).

• Options
    So..... crafting is fun, yeah. How do I make Gathering fun? Because right now it seems pretty boring. Is it fun?

Podcasts

steam_sig.png
  • Options

1. You generate a lot of gil first.

2. Build a spreadsheet that calculates material cost vs. sale cost, accounting for potions.

3. ???

4. Profit

• Options
    Ocean Fishing is fun gatherer content! It's also not really useful for anything other than leveling fishing.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Ocean Fishing is fun gatherer content! It's also not really useful for anything other than leveling fishing.

Well, some cosmetic reward stuff. The mount is cool.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

I'd love to see some kind of deep sea submarine expedition where you take a sub that dumps you into deep sea areas to spearfish for points. Give that feature an actual use.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Finding all those treasure maps was fun, but I don't find DoL gameplay specifically enjoyable in and of itself. It's either a great way to spend some time in beautiful zones or a means to an end.

• Options
    I understand it's engaging for some so part of it is that I was raised on WoW crafting. But I don't like having to do a DPS rotation to make a HQ item. I'm not keen on HQ system in general, but moreso that leveling a trade involves HQ items.

Don't make me "tryhard" when I'm not out killing things and Gods

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    I understand it's engaging for some so part of it is that I was raised on WoW crafting. But I don't like having to do a DPS rotation to make a HQ item. I'm not keen on HQ system in general, but moreso that leveling a trade involves HQ items.

I agree with this (as a longtime WoW player and crafter). It's cool that crafting in FFXIV has so many intricacies and elements and abilities and augmentations and probabilities and whatnot, but I typically want my crafting to be my downtime - simple, rewarding, not too hard on the brain or overcomplicated to keep organized.

Oh well. I don't begrudge anyone that prefers it this way. If I were way into crafting and kinda preferred it to combat (or loved it equally), I'd enjoy how complex it is.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    GMaster7 wrote: »

I agree with this (as a longtime WoW player and crafter). It's cool that crafting in FFXIV has so many intricacies and elements and abilities and augmentations and probabilities and whatnot, but I typically want my crafting to be my downtime - simple, rewarding, not too hard on the brain or overcomplicated to keep organized.

Oh well. I don't begrudge anyone that prefers it this way. If I were way into crafting and kinda preferred it to combat (or loved it equally), I'd enjoy how complex it is.

That just seems like gathering, what you want.

Steam profile
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    God, there's no way I could go back to WoW crafting after doing FF14 crafting.

They actually *care* about crafters and let them make nice things, but they have to put in the work. They treat it like a actual class, instead of "here's one thing to make, and... oh yeah, engineers exist right? Here's some useless bombs and bullshit."

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
This discussion has been closed.