As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oh no, [Pokemon Cards]

SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGamingRegistered User regular
They're popular again! More so than the 90s!

They're so popular you'll get robbed at a Target!

I've made a terrible decision and gotten into collecting some of them and even playing the online TCG. The real world packs come with a code for a pack in the game so that's pretty nice. I got one of these shiny things:

pq0hzct24fq6.png

and it's very shiny. My pulls weren't great but that promo Zacian rules.

Anyone engaging in cardboard crack these days? Playing or collecting?

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Oh see, they got this all wrong.

**corrects title**

Oh, no pokemon cards?

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I've been lucky to find a few packs at a target but they only let me buy one. I got that box set online, which seems to be the best chance to get stuff now, although you have to find reputable places because every review on amazon is "THIS IS A RESEALED PACK WITH THE RARES STOLEN"

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    We need Pokémon NFTs

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I've been hearing about this madness. I used to play casually way back when with family, when just those first few sets were out.

I gave all my cards to a younger cousin ages ago. I kind of wonder if any of them would have been worth anything.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    We need Pokémon NFTs

4ks62gl2a8ty.png

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    We need Pokémon NFTs

4ks62gl2a8ty.png

Squirtle?

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I really need to dig mine out from wherever I have them and try to see if they're worth something.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    We need Pokémon NFTs

4ks62gl2a8ty.png

Squirtle?

BidioofIsOnFire.jpg

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    If anyone wants to see if their old cards are worth anything, the TCGPlayer app is quite useful, it'll scan and price check stuff for you.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    also one good thing to remember about selling one's cards is that the price a retailer can sell things TO you is not the same as the price someone will buy things FROM you

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    So while going through my old collection a few months back, I found a lot of good stuff, but also I somehow had come into the possession of some counterfeit base set 1st editions. I collected when I was a literal child and mostly got them straight from packs, so I don’t know where I got those from.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    i work at a LGS/comic shop and I buy singles for the store, and I am very sick of explaining to like, 20 parents a day why packs are in short supply right now as if it's a new thing

I do however enjoy telling someone who had no idea what was in his binder why I was prepared to pay him 4 digits for his shadowless base set charizard today

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    It's like '97 all over again when parents were yelling at me, threatening me, and screaming that I wasn't opening boxes fast enough. It always made me work slower though.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    They're popular again! More so than the 90s!

They're so popular you'll get robbed at a Target!

I've made a terrible decision and gotten into collecting some of them and even playing the online TCG. The real world packs come with a code for a pack in the game so that's pretty nice. I got one of these shiny things:

pq0hzct24fq6.png

and it's very shiny. My pulls weren't great but that promo Zacian rules.

Anyone engaging in cardboard crack these days? Playing or collecting?

*schoolground envy flashbacks intensifies*

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    DessertedDesserted Dessert desertRegistered User regular
    I very much regret getting rid of my card collection. Pretty sure they ended up getting tossed during a move back in high school.

Good job, high school me.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Real Pokemon TCG is drawing half your deck in a turn with poorly balanced trainer cards

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Real Pokemon TCG is drawing half your deck in a turn with poorly balanced trainer cards

Honestly, it's kind of brilliant how simple the solution to the problem was. One Supporter per turn.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    We need Pokémon NFTs

4ks62gl2a8ty.png

YOU FOOL
    YOU'RE ONLY MAKING HIM STRONGER

• Options

And then playing all your energy

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    We need Pokémon NFTs

4ks62gl2a8ty.png

YOU FOOL

oh no I meant to use the super repel but I used the x-attack instead

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

tbh this becomes less impressive once you're older and realize that the decks you made as a kid with like 20 energy were WAAAAAAAAYYYYY too much energy

you put in 11 energy now and you're like "phew, i dunno, seems a little high"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited May 2021

tbh this becomes less impressive once you're older and realize that the decks you made as a kid with like 20 energy were WAAAAAAAAYYYYY too much energy

Are you suggesting I crack out the TCG Gameboy game again?
    Just to check what my builds were like
    Assuming the memory survived ofc.

But yeah, raindance beats everything, and I'm not sure how much energy was in my other decks.
    We need Pokémon NFTs

4ks62gl2a8ty.png

YOU FOOL

oh no I meant to use the super repel but I used the x-attack instead

Thought it looked more like
    itgu0j538xmj.jpeg

discrider on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    The store I work at carries pokemon cards... sporadically.

There's routinely a couple calls a day asking if we have any cards in (only if we've received them less than two hours ago), when we'll get more (no idea), if we can hold any for them (hell no).

People have tried to purchase the limit, go out, change their shirt, and come back in to try to buy more.

One time I found a couple boxes hidden away behind a board game nearby, probably by someone hoping to come in the next day and grab them. Low-effort, though, there's plenty of spots to hide them where they'd never be found.

Stores have been instructed to specifically check the IDs of the people who are supposed to stock the display, because people have apparently come in, claimed to be a representative to be let into the receiving room, then just straight stole them from the back, there.

It's madness.

Sports cards are also popular.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    our distributors just tell us to fuck off re: sports cards at this point

we limit pokemon to 2 packs and 1 large sealed product per person per day (no sir the 1 year old in your arms doesnt count unless that kid can pay with their own money unaided by you) and everything is behind glass. mostly working off honor system because people around here are too stupid/bad liars to successfully beat my ability to pay attention

its really easy to get around some of our rules/limits and dummies give themselves away almost instantly lol

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Are you suggesting I crack out the TCG Gameboy game again?
    Just to check what my builds were like
    Assuming the memory survived ofc.

But yeah, raindance beats everything, and I'm not sure how much energy was in my other decks.
    The gameboy TCG game was SO GOOD. I played the hell out of that thing.

I ordered a booster box of Chilling Reign from channel fireball. Never ordered from them before but they seem reputable so here's hoping.

In the online TCG I've been playing "ADP Zacian" which is running this thing:

l332eotit1bk.png

to fire off it's GX ability. That makes all your pokemon do more damage and if you have a water on there it also makes you get bonus prize cards when you knock out an opponent. Then you get this beautiful card out

fgi2odkxkgmi.png

and have it wreck shop through the enemy team. It's a lot of fun so far but the whole "can draw half my deck with trainer cards and Dedenne" is kinda weird, coming from magic.

I was thinking about spending twenty bucks to get my black gold zacian graded but apparently all the card grading companies are backed up for like a year and a half.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I had a first edition Charizard when I was like 9, I have no clue what happened to it. Probably it got confiscated by a teacher or just lost in a move or something.

When I heard last year what those sell for these days I was displeased

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I've told this story in a few other threads, but my son and his buddies got back into them during Covid. He wasn't going overboard, just picking up a $20-$40 box every other week or so, as he could find them. He managed in the course of less than a month to pull two Shining Fates Charizards which we sold on eBay for about $800ish. He has turned that money into a collection of Gameboys (modded original, Pocket, Color, GBA, modded SP, DSi).

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I should really bust my old cards out of the closet and see what I’ve got. They gotta be worth something, though I probably played with a bunch of em. I only played during the initial launch.

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    My brothers were really into Pokemon cards and a few years ago my mom was cleaning her storage and they didn't want them so I took them for nostalgia and just put them in a box in the closet.
    Last month I decided to sort them and give a few of the common duplicates to my nephew who just likes the pictures. I bought a binder and I realized we have most of the original 151 except some of the rare cards. No Charizard but we do have a Holo Blastoise and a Promo Mew. They may have had a Charizard at one point, I remember they once had a Japanese Charmeleon which wasn't in this box either

I'm not planning to sell but it was fun to see what they had collected back in the day.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I've never really sold anything on the Internet, so that's my initial hurdle as far as cashing in on old Pokemon cards is concerned. Plus don't they usually sell for more money if they're graded or whatever?

• Options
    edited May 2021
    It's really only worth grading them if they are particularly special or pristine. You dont just blanket grade your stuff and then sell it for more, ain't how it works. In fact most people dont have stuff worth grading tbh. I have so many people call our store thinking their stuff is mint because it's been in a binder for 20 years as if they repair wear over time from being played with by children prior to that

Ebay and filter sold listings only is your friend, see what people actually paid for the same card. Keep in mind it's only collectors that buy the high end stuff so if it's not in the condition a collector would want (edgewear, scratches on the foil side etc) it becomes harder to move

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    So wait what is up with trading cards, is there a stupid speculation bubble happening or something?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    So wait what is up with trading cards, is there a stupid speculation bubble happening or something?

Yes.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    People stuck at home with lots of extra covid bucks combined with covid production issues combined with scalpers and speculators causing demand to massively overtake supply

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    I’ve heard the card grading services are also insanely backed up

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    $800 for a charizard card huh? I’ll draw you any you want for $1 and give it 1000 attack.

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »
    I’ve heard the card grading services are also insanely backed up

I kind of want to get my Zacian promo graded if only to have a cool slabbed card, but it seems like it would take somewhere around 10 months to get that done right now.

Not entirely sure how to safely store it for the time being since it's in that plastic wrapper.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    uvnlovwoqah3.jpeg

Eh? Eh?

• Options
    hot damn it just skips charmeleon entirely

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    uvnlovwoqah3.jpeg

Eh? Eh?

I like this a lot but unfortunately the text is super legible. Can you make it holographic and reduce the font size to .3?