As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Elden Ring] Has Shattered (CLOSED SPOILERS)

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    I might actually get hopelessly addicted to these games instead of just liking them despite their simplicity if they added execution complexity to it.

That sounds a bit dangerous lets keep things chill.

I just really want to be able to enjoy the fun parts of fighting game combat without having to overcome the fact that I take ten times as long to learn combos as other people.

see: Nioh, where I have to think too much during combat to ever just flow the way I can in any other Souls or Soulslike.

edit: For a double whammy, Nioh also simultaneously features the OTHER sort of combat that loses me, the polar opposite of the combo: 'spam this one OP thing over and over forever because there is zero limitation on it and it is amped up so high no other button is worth touching'.

For me, if they could make Bone Fist a bit more elegant, that's what i'd really like to see - It had a bunch of cool moves, just super awkard to acess them all. The big stuff was that when powerstanced you could fire energy orbs at people or do a running jump kick that sent stuff flying, and when two handed (...which, okay, sure), you had a fast spinkick that staggered things, into a powerful follow up attack - and bone fist had a huge counter modifier, so it'd chunk things like crazy.

Something like that where you can mix fistycuffs with drop kicks, spin-kick counters and kamehamehas is a good thing!

It dosent even need ot be alot - just like having R1R1R2 yield a different combo to R1R1R1 or R2R2R2, and making it so that sprint attacks/jump attacks arent so utter *arse* to pull off would go a long way

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I'm not gonna deeply analyze what works and doesn't work about souls combat for me personally but I think the level of move complexity is perfect where it has always been

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2021
    They’ll clarify I’m sure but as it is right now, one of my anti-souls friends got in touch like “you hear this got co-op?” and I said it’s probably not what you think it is. I’d love for him to fall in love with the genre but it’s not in the cards.

As weird as it is I think the GRRM byline is drawing new people towards this.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I think it would a much more accessible game due to the sheer amount of tools available, also if it's an actual open world game people would probably stick around with the game longer exploring other areas instead of quitting after being stuck with a boss for hours

I am curious if there are any survival elements or rpg stuff like npc towns or places which you can find besides that area which functions as a hub or it's going to be like the shadow of the colussus

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I might actually get hopelessly addicted to these games instead of just liking them despite their simplicity if they added execution complexity to it.

What I like is the complexity is nearly all in the movement as opposed to the moveset.

I like that too!

Whynotboth.gif

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm not gonna deeply analyze what works and doesn't work about souls combat for me personally but I think the level of move complexity is perfect where it has always been

Too much more to the point where there start being button combos and that's getting to character action game territory, where I cannot follow. If it's more complicated than "heavy attack after two light attacks" I will not remember it.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular

What I like is the complexity is nearly all in the movement as opposed to the moveset.

I like that too!

Whynotboth.gif

It sounds like he's saying he specifically likes the complexity being focused in one area! Moveset complexity can be awesome too, but with a series that wears its difficulty on the front like a badge of pride, you definitely risk over complicating things by adding another deep layer of complexity on top. It has the potential to drive even more people away, and it seems like there's already a strong love it or hate it mentality with the difficulty of the series as is.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I really wonder how invasions will work in a more open world environment like this. The phantom summoning looked more similar to Bloodborne than anything else, with phantoms just being pulled from a vicinity than from using a discrete sign.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    I really wonder how invasions will work in a more open world environment like this. The phantom summoning looked more similar to Bloodborne than anything else, with phantoms just being pulled from a vicinity than from using a discrete sign.

My assumption is that some sort of fogwall will descend to section an area off. Honestly, without more details on what the shape of the world looks like, it's hard to speculate on the tech choices that'll be made and how that'll influnce the gameplay

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Omni from Resetera is back
    Omnipotent wrote:
    Ignore them, just be happy that it wont be long before you have the definitive Fromsoft experience in your hands. As hype as the trailer was, I think once people start hearing more detailed stuff about the systems, design and direction of the game then hype will start to reach fever pitch. It's so much more than just Dark Souls 4, or just another Souls or Fromsoft game. It's THE Souls or Fromsoft game. Lots of people missing the forest for the trees.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/from-software-development-speculation-everything-we-know-about-their-current-projects.163312/post-67072399

Omni also confirmed a little detail in the trailers nobody picked up on: weapon sheathing. There are scabbards present in a ton of the trailer.

jungleroomx on
  • Options

Yasuhiro Kitao:
    We can't thank you enough for all the feedback/reactions. It's always a huge boost for the development team. Everyone here is working hard to deliver a deep, enjoyable RPG experience.

New in-game(?) screenshot:
    b8f081mo56jm.jpg

• Options
    Yoku's Island Express 2 is looking amazing.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    That's poop.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    You know what I like? Tree-Turtle NutsackBell.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    You know what I like? Tree-Turtle NutsackBell.

He’s got a huge ding dong.

• Options
    august wrote: »
    That's poop.

That thing is made of way too many bones to be poop, unless it's Owl-style vomitpoop.

@jungleroomx - For those of us not in the know, who is Omni and why are their takes important in this context?

• Options
    edited June 2021
    august wrote: »
    That's poop.

That thing is made of way too many bones to be poop, unless it's Owl-style vomitpoop.

jungleroomx - For those of us not in the know, who is Omni and why are their takes important in this context?

Omni is someone on Resetera that leaked the fact that Elden Ring would be open world, day night cycle, weather, how you’d have a hub world that offshoots into the other realms, etc. he’s been right far more than wrong, which leads people to speculate he’s either an employee or knows someone who is.

Basically, he’s been right enough that any discrepancies could be explained by the normal dev cycle and how certain things just don’t make it.

So when he says there’s faaaaar more to the game than we’ve been told, I think it’s a safe bet that we shouldn’t be worried about how much it’s like Dark Souls but rather a bit curious on exactly how much has changed.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »

I like that too!

Whynotboth.gif

It sounds like he's saying he specifically likes the complexity being focused in one area! Moveset complexity can be awesome too, but with a series that wears its difficulty on the front like a badge of pride, you definitely risk over complicating things by adding another deep layer of complexity on top. It has the potential to drive even more people away, and it seems like there's already a strong love it or hate it mentality with the difficulty of the series as is.

Oh Im not thinking about anyone but myself here. I also dont expect or need it to happen. My preferences in game design are very unpopular.

If it did tho I sure would be happy!

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    https://sea.ign.com/elden-ring/173091/interview/elden-ring-the-big-hidetaka-miyazaki-interview-summer-of-gaming

This is a really in depth interview so do not click if you don't want to be spoiled further eh

Elden Ring Trailer Breakdown - With Help From Creator Hidetaka Miyazaki
    https://youtu.be/ht8XUshQow8

Peas on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    as more information has dripped out my hype levels are getting out of control

it really seems like the mad lads are aiming for something with the scope and ambition of dark souls 1, which has yet to be eclipsed in terms of world building.

All i want to know is if there's PVP or not. Open world would be a great fit for ultra wacky PVP covenants like rat kings and forest guardians

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Peas wrote: »
    https://sea.ign.com/elden-ring/173091/interview/elden-ring-the-big-hidetaka-miyazaki-interview-summer-of-gaming

This is a really in depth interview so do not click if you don't want to be spoiled further eh

Elden Ring Trailer Breakdown - With Help From Creator Hidetaka Miyazaki
    https://youtu.be/ht8XUshQow8

Gameplay spoilers?? if you want to go in 100% blind
    So yes, with this increased sense of scale and this vast new map, we had to allow for a certain amount of progression and reward no matter which direction the player took and which path they take because of that high level of freedom. You will find those elements to battle and those elements to just exploring the world, which will allow you to keep that going. You can customize and craft items on the go by using materials found in the world. There are also more resources to recover health on the way as you will be fighting for a longer time than before. The key word I think is 'retention', and retaining a sense of progression, so we wanted them to keep going, to keep that flow as they explore and they journey through the map.

• Options
    Random thought: I wonder if you could just switch the FP bar over to acting like a second stamina bar, or something and go from there - That way spellcasting or special moves dont have to be quite so limited, but you can still pace them interestingly. Not that the FP bar in DS3 was bad as per say, just that i think you could do more

(Honestly if i had my druthers, i'd rather stamina be dropped for attacking, but getting hit during a combo would stagger you heavily? That may not work how i'd like it work tho')

• Options
    Random thought: I wonder if you could just switch the FP bar over to acting like a second stamina bar, or something and go from there - That way spellcasting or special moves dont have to be quite so limited, but you can still pace them interestingly. Not that the FP bar in DS3 was bad as per say, just that i think you could do more

(Honestly if i had my druthers, i'd rather stamina be dropped for attacking, but getting hit during a combo would stagger you heavily? That may not work how i'd like it work tho')

Yeah dropping stamina on attacks would just turn this into a poise/spam r1 game.

• Options
    Stamina management is kind of the core of the entire gameplay. Getting rid of that would just make it a slow character action game.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    And as such stamina usage is a big part of weapon choice and balancing.

Sekiro gets away with it because there is only 1 weapon.

• Options

Also if you tried to just r1 spam you'd be mashed into a fine wet mist.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Sekiro also gets away with it because it has a very clear RPS defensive scheme. Combat in Sekiro is a wickedly timed rhythm game where deciding what "note" to hit is done in the timing of eye blinks. The reason it can be that tight is that they had no divergent mechanics to balance around. Outside of some skill choices, there is definitely a right ass right way to play Sekrio.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Also if you tried to just r1 spam you'd be mashed into a fine wet mist.

But also the lack of stamina was very very abusable.

No parry king over here taking full advantage of perma sprinting. Quick reflexes and timing? Who needs em!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Open world I was down with but item/weapon crafting sends a cold chill up my spine. I cannot remember a time I played an open world game with a crafting system and felt it was not overall worse than hand-curated specific loot, something the Soulsborne games have historically excelled at.

If anyone deserves the benefit of the doubt it's FromSoft, but. Don't love the idea!

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    i think the weapon upgrading system for both bloodborne and sekiro was kinda a round peg in a square hole and didn't really add much to the game, hopefully the trip back to a more straightforward RPG makes it better

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I mean, all Souls games have item crafting and materials management for upgrades. It's just much less dense than in other game where you have to spend ten minutes managing the loot fountain after a fight (ugh)

• Options
    I mean, all Souls games have item crafting and materials management for upgrades. It's just much less dense than in other game where you have to spend ten minutes managing the loot fountain after a fight (ugh)

Yeah, requiring certain items to unlock the crafting (coals) and the gems in DS was pretty simple crafting.

The open skills on the other hand, that’s just sweet.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I am presuming that weapons are also still found in the world, especially since I don't generally buy weapons in games like this.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I’m so hyped for this that I’ve gone full circle and reached a zen like state.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    Stamina management is kind of the core of the entire gameplay. Getting rid of that would just make it a slow character action game.

Hence i dont think this would work how i'd hope it would work =P

Honestly, my hype levels are shrug. Am i looking foward to this, and will probably day 1, maybe even preorder it? Sure! Am i going to get hyped? Ha, i did that once as a freshly dead corpse with Mass Effect 2 and got burned. No thank you

(Also i just distrust hype around video games)

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    The most suggestive thing about Elden Ring, to me, is that it’s a perfect anagram for Ovaltine, which I feel speaks volumes.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Drez wrote: »
    The most suggestive thing about Elden Ring, to me, is that it’s a perfect anagram for Ovaltine, which I feel speaks volumes.
    So the Elden Ring really decodes B-E-S-U-R-E-T-O-D-R-I-N-K-Y-O-U-R-E-S-T-U-S from the back of the game's cover? Rather anticlimactic. At least the combat looks interesting.

I really hope the emphasis on freedom of approach means means the ways I like to play aren't penalized this time. Being able to scout ahead is a real positive sign, assuming it's commonly doable in the game we get.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    IceBurner wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    So the Elder Ring really decodes B-E-S-U-R-E-T-O-D-R-I-N-K-Y-O-U-R-E-S-T-U-S from the back of the game's cover? Rather anticlimactic. At least the combat looks interesting.

I really hope the emphasis on freedom of approach means means the ways I like to play aren't penalized this time. Being able to scout ahead is a real positive sign, assuming it's commonly doable in the game we get.

Miyazaki said that was primarily why they put in stealth, so you could scout or even avoid if you felt the need.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I'd sure like it if that all turns out as described. I'm bearing in mind there's at least 6 months of development left and we don't know how accurate a picture we've taken away from the interview.

We're sure to find out more before it's out. I'm being quite reserved with any anticipation.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    IceBurner wrote: »
    I'd sure like it if that all turns out as described. I'm bearing in mind there's at least 6 months of development left and we don't know how accurate a picture we've taken away from the interview.

We're sure to find out more before it's out. I'm being quite reserved with any anticipation.

Being reserved with any game is probably the best thing to do for ones own mental health.

This discussion has been closed.