As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Elden Ring] Has Shattered (CLOSED SPOILERS)

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    At this point it's probably beneficial that I was disappointed by Dark Souls 3, because now I know they can disappoint me and my expectations are moderated.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Saw this summary of information from the interview posted on the subreddit (not sure where it's from originally), if someone wants the cliff notes.
    bcrdagndea571.jpg

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    https://www.famitsu.com/news/202106/14223605.html
    Translation by theangryfurlong on reddit
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/comments/o0680a/miyazaki_famitsu_interview_translation_part_1/

Miyazaki Famitsu interview translation [Part 1]

--So, the release date and support for next-gen consoles has finally been announced. We've had coronavirus and a lot of societal instability, will you be able to meet the announced release date?

[Miyazaki] Yes, we've kept everyone waiting for a long time, but we are finally at the stage where we can anounce the release date. The entire staff is working at full pace on the final polish and development.

--This is the first interview since development of Elden Ring was announced in June 2019 where you explained the game concept. I want to go over the basic information. First of all, what kind of game are you aiming for with Elden Ring?

[Miyazaki] What we are aiming for with Elden Ring, in short, is a proper evolution to the Dark Souls series. We wanted to bring together all of our know-how we have built creating the [Dark Souls] series in terms of action, level design and world building, in order to realize this evolution on an even grander scale.

In order to do this, we of course had to have even more depth in world design and story, and we were able to bring in GRR Martin. Honestly, this was an extremely fortuitous and powerful addition.

--Did you decide on the open-world format after GRR Martin joined?

[Miyazaki] No. We had a vague idea to do this even before he joined. It would be more correct to say that his joining allowed us further shape the idea going forward, providing us a powerful boost.

--How did GRR Martin come to be a part of this project?

[Miyazaki] I was already a fan of GRR Martin's novels. Of course, I was a fan of "A Song of Ice and Fire", the basis of "Game of Thrones", but I was also a fan of Ferve Dream, the Tuf Voyaging series, the Wild Cards series, etc. One of From's executives, Eiichi Nakajima remembered this, and approached GRR Martin not expecting him to accept, but it turns out he knew about Dark Souls and agreed to speak with us against all expectations.

--You must have been happy about that.

[Miyazaki] At the time, while there was no talk about any concrete business plan, but we had an animated discussion and asked him to join us in creating this game, and he was happy to oblige.

--You've said that GRR Martin didn't actually create the world design, but wrote the basis for it.

[Miyazaki] He created the foundation for the world design of this game, would be the correct way to say it. We knew when he joined that he was extremely busy, and we also didn't want this game to follow a strict story. Also, we didn't want to warp GRR Martin's vision to fit the necessities of the game.

--You didn't want to make a traditional RPG following a set story line?

[Miyazaki] Due to certain circumstances and intentions on our part, we came to ask him to write the mythology to form the foundation for this game taking place in the distant past.

--So is it fair to say that this world wouldn't have been realized without GRR Martin?

[Miyazaki] Yes, without a doubt. The mythology he wrote was extremely fascinating. There is a mysterious depth, and the character drama is built on top of this complicated family relationship. This is a history in addition to being a mythology, and is also an epic - it provided an inspiration we had never had before.

--There is a protagonist, but they don't have a defined personality, correct?

[Miyazaki] We didn't imagine a specific protagonist in this game like we did in Sekiro, for example. Think of it like Dark Souls in that players can each create their own characters freely, with their own play style.

--What kind of person is the "Tarnished" protagonist?

[Miyazaki] It's a long story, but okay?

--Of course!

[Miyazaki] There is a land in this game called "The Lands Between" that is blessed with a golden tree. This land is the stage for Martin's mythology - a race called the Demigods received the blood of the Divine Queen Marika, and are heroes that rule this land, having received a particularly powerful blessing.

All who have received this blessing have a golden light in their eyes, but these people have lost this light. The are called "Tarnished" because they have lost this golden light from their eyes, and are driven out of The Lands Between. The Tarnished who is the protagonist of the game is a descendent of the people who were driven out of The Lands Between.

And now, when the Elden Ring which forms the source of the blessing of the golden tree has been shattered, this once-lost blessing is returned to the Tarnished who reside outside The Lands Between. It is a rumbling to become the king which beckons you to The Lands Between and to the Elden Ring.

--So the protagonist's goal is to become the king of The Lands Between they have been driven from?

[Miyazaki] That's right. That is the clear "beckoning of the blessing". In the world of this game, this amounts to a revelation of god, but it is not an absolute. Some may follow this beckoning, while some may have their doubts, it's up to the player.

Moving away from the world design side of things, this "beckoning" acts as the initial guide for the player. We wanted to have this "beckoning" to act as a simple guide so that the player doesn't feel lost with no clue where to go in this immense world.

--So there is a "beckoning" that guides the player's path, but you can choose to ignore it. So that is one of the degrees of freedom in the game, which means there might be multiple endings in this game as well?

[Miyazaki] Yes, there are multiple endings and many ways to arrive there. It's one of the characteristics of this game, and the degree of freedom in progressing through the game is much higher than in the Dark Souls series.

--That's certainly something to look forward to.

[Miyazaki] If you take boss fights for example, very few absolutely have to be beaten, and the order, or timing, is up to the player in many cases.

Miyazaki Famitsu interview translation [Part 2]
    --So the story leading up to the ending is made up of fragments pieced together by the player like in Dark Souls?

[Miyazaki] Right. Our essential approach to storytelling hasn't changed. At least that's only according to our standards - the basic parts of the story are easier to understand than before. Furthermore, the story weaved together from these fragments is larger and more layered than ever before.

--So, did you oversee the game text yourself?

[Miyazaki] There is a huge amount which makes it difficult, but I try to review everything as a rule, with a large portion being directly written by me.

--Earlier you said you were aiming for a proper evolution to Dark Souls, so why isn't this Dark Souls 4, but a brand-new IP?

[Miyazaki] When we had GRR Martin come in on the project, we wanted to avoid the limitations that the world of Dark Souls would impose, and besides that, it would allow us more freedom of imagination.

We aren't slavishly tied to the Dark Souls style; on the contrary, we tried to avoid it being too much like Dark Souls, while applying our know-how to create a new dark fantasy.

--So the open field system created for this game, would you say it's different than open-world?

[Miyazaki] It depends on your definition of "open-world". The open field in this game first serves to expand the scale of the story, increasing immersion. There is a great unknown and threat in this world, and there is the thrill of feeling your way through the world, intended to bring the joy of discovery and travel. I think this is one of the joys that the old classic RPGs had, and we wanted to aim for that in this game.

--I want to ask about the gameplay - what kind of game system exists for character customization to deepen the roleplaying?

[Miyazaki] It basically continues from the Dark Souls series. Customizing character appearance, weapons, armour, magic can all be chosen freely, raising stats to strengthen your character, etc.

One of the characteristics of this, is the wealth of weapon arts we introduced in Dark Souls 3. Most of the skills in this game are not tied to a weapon, so you can try out various combinations of weapons and skills freely.

--So weapon and skill combinations are important decisions for the player. Can you assign multiple skills to a weapon?

[Miyazaki] You can assign one skill per weapon. However, you can swap these freely - there are about 100 in total. There is also quite a selection of weapons - finding your favorite combination will be one of the things to enjoy.

Also, completely separate from this, it is possible to summon spirits. You can summon these to become allies and fight with you when in the correct place. There is the same element of collecting and equipping that exists with weapons, armor, magic, etc.

--Summoning spirits - this is something new.

[Miyazaki] Yes. Spirits are basically based on enemies, and have their own individual character that is quite varied. You can summon a shield character to protect you from behind, summon archers to aid your advance, place decoys to attack enemies from behind, etc. They have many strategic uses.

--Can the spirits level up? For example, to the point where you can use them against bosses.

[Miyazaki] Yes they can. Just like with weapons, you can choose which spirits to level up. Choose which ones to level to match your strategy or preference. There are even some spirits which aren't of much use, but are quite loveable anyway.

***Still a bit more to go, will post when finished translating.

Miyazaki Famitsu interview translation [Part 3]
    --From Software games are known for their difficulty. Instead of making the action easier, you take the road of increasing what the player can do in order to deepen the strategy. Is it the same in Elden Ring?

[Miyazaki] Yes, and this trend is even stronger in Elden Ring. Like the spirits I was mentioning, you don't have to rely on pure mechanical skill, but can use strategy to defeat your enemies. We are emphasizing a strategic approach to combat in this game.

--You can jump!

[Miyazaki] Yes you can. You can jump for a heavy attack, and you can jump to avoid low attacks. More importantly, I feel it allows a greater degree of freedom in exploration.

--It appears that a more active fighting style is possible, but are finger-biting tense battles still alive and well?

[Miyazaki] Yes, they are still alive and well. Don't worry about that. In addition to what I already mentioned, there is one which is a kind of counter-attack after parrying with a shield. You will have a wide variety of choices to engage in strategic and vigorous battles.

--With more choices, it sounds like boss fights are going to be very engaging

[Miyazaki] Yes. Boss fights are a special experience, one of the high points of the game. At the same time, we hope to minimize instances of being unable to advance in the game because the boss is too hard.

Like I said in the beginning, this game is designed with freedom in mind; you can put off fighting hard bosses, and some but not all bosses need not be beaten at all.

--I plan on asking about multiplayer later, but can you adventure through the game world with friends?

[Miyazaki] Yes. There are a few exceptions, but multiplayer is possible even in the massive open field. You can even go straight into boss battles together. However, during multiplayer you can't use your horse, so be warned.

--One thing that struck me about bosses is the uniqueness of each ones design.

[Miyazaki] One of the features of bosses in this game is that because they are based on the demigods in GRR Martin's mythology, they aren't just enormous and twisted, but we emphasize a certain heroic and mysterious aspect. All of the demigods have their own backbone as a character which makes them more appealing characters than simple bosses.

--This may be hard to answer, of course it will involve trial and error, but how difficult will it be compared to Sekiro or Bloodborne?

[Miyazaki] That's a difficult question, but I think it will be less difficult mechanically compared to the titles you mentioned.

Sekiro is perhaps an easier comparison, because in Elden Ring you can choose to level up or engage in coop play. In that way, I think it's closer in difficulty to Dark Souls 3. Even compared with DS3, you have new strategic options, summoning spirits, and stealth. This along with a lower barrier to engage in coop play should mean that while it will still be a meaty challenge, you should be able to get through it.

--The game field seems to be enormous; how will players progress through the story?

[Miyazaki] Basically, we want you to explore freely. Something may happen while exploring, prompting you with further goals.

At the same time, the "beckoning of blessing" mentioned earlier will be the main story choice. There are NPCs who nudge you along this path, so you shouldn't be stuck not knowing what to do. This "beckoning" is not a forced choice, so you have the freedom to ignore it if you like.

--So there will be dungeons and other special areas off the beaten path?

[Miyazaki] Yes. Dungeons, and NPCs as well.

--About the dungeons, besides the large-scale "legacy" areas that make up the large beats of the story, will there be places to explore in each area?

[Miyazaki] Besides the extremely thought-out vertical "legacy" dungeons that you mention, there are many small-medium scale dungeon areas. Forts, catacombs, caves, mining tunnels, etc.

We are planning to have many NPCs, but currently there are no towns or villages where they reside. There are places that were once villages, but are now abandoned and the prowling place of dangerous enemies. This is because we decided to put our development resources into what we do best.

--So these "legacy" dungeons are like the previous entries, with a vertical and complex structure?

[Miyazaki] Yes, imagine the areas in the Dark Souls series. Only this time, the scale is larger and there may be new places you can reach by jumping, which should make exploration even more enjoyable.

--Talking about exploration by jumping makes me worried about fall damage.

[Miyazaki] We've adjusted fall damage to make the game less stressful considering that the freedom allowed by jumping is an important part of the game. We've made it so enemy attacks won't cause you to fall unfairly and have also adjusted the fall damage down.

--How many "legacy" areas will there be?

[Miyazaki] There will be six, what we would call "legacy" areas.

Miyazaki Famitsu interview translation [Part 4]
    --Can you reach the ends of the game map from the start of the game?

[Miyazaki] No, there are some barriers, that is to say you must overcome some areas to reach further areas on the map.

--Speed runners are going to have a field day

[Miyazaki] Yes, it's not that we have speed runners in mind, but personally I enjoy watching them, and I hope people will enjoy doing them.

--The field is clearly much larger than previous entries, will there be a world map?

[Miyazaki] Yes, there is what you would call a world map for the open field areas. You can set a waypoint, travel to uncharted areas, and enjoy revealing the map.

On the other hand, as in the Dark Souls series, there is no map in the big dungeon areas. We want you to enjoy figuring out the layout through exploration and to have that great feeling when you finally do.

--It seems like the spirit horse will be useful for this.

[Miyazaki] Travel on horseback will be limited to the open field, but I think it really feels nice. You can use your jumps to quickly jump over small differences in elevation or leap down dangerous cliffs. In certain places you can perform a large jump making exploration dynamic and vertical.

--Can items be crafted anywhere?

[Miyazaki] Yes. Various useable or consumable items can be crafted from items you find while exploring. You can replenish resources and craft items as needed. However, HP recovery is a special case in Elden Ring as well [as in previous titles].

--Is there a concept of passage of time and dynamic weather?

[Miyazaki] Yes, those are elements that change in real time. This also has an effect on the game. For example, at night visibility decreases for both you and the enemy bringing new strategic aspects to approaching enemies. There are certain trails that are more visible at night and terrifying enemies that only appear at night.

--From everything I've heard so far, it sounds like both the amount of gameplay and the field size are substantial.

[Miyazaki] Without a doubt. Our aim from the start was a grandness of scale. Suffice it to say that this is our biggest game yet.

Rather, we are now working hard making adjustments to make sure this doesn't become cumbersome. We want this to be something enjoyable for the player.

--So this is the biggest game From Software has ever created?

[Miyazaki] Yes

--What do you expect the play time to be?

[Miyazaki] I hate questions like this :) If you don't stray from the main story very often we're looking at around 30 hours, but to be honest I can't say for sure. We are aiming for a much larger and deeper experience where players go beyond that kind of playstyle.

--Seems the play time will vary depending on whether you play online or not. You say you are still working on how exactly coop play and PvP will work. What other features are you expecting to have?

[Miyazaki] In regards to asynchronous interactions like phantoms, bloodstains, and messages, users will be able to create their own groups.

You will be able to share these asynchronous elements while playing, and by setting groups, those belonging to the group will be prioritized and will have a different appearance.

--So you will be going a step further than the sort of loose connections in previous titles?

[Miyazaki] Phantoms, bloodstains, and messages were always left behind by some nameless player out of the masses, but by using groups this information will sort of belong to players you know. Or by knowing that it will be used by those players, there may be some new meaning or emotion attached to it, that is our aim.

It's a simple system, but we expect that it will lead to new ways to play.

--How do you create user groups?

[Miyazaki] Based on passwords. Users can set their own passwords for these asynchronous elements, so that only people that know the password become group members. There is no limit on the size of groups and it's up to you on how to share the passwords so we expect there to be a bunch of new ways to have fun.

--Hopefully this kind of system leads to a new segment of fans.

[Miyazaki] Yes. It's fun to play with someone else, so we hope to slightly lower the barriers to this.

With a game like this, people tend to brace themselves for a struggle, but we want them to know that there are many reliable people online ready to help them through the struggle. By lowering the barriers to start playing with these allies, we hope to gain many new users.

We hope it will be a game you can recommend to people interested in the world building, story, and characters but are still somehow hesitant to jump in.

--Well, I've learned a lot about the game from this talk and expectations are even higher. I look forward to the new challenge From Software has set for itself.
    [Miyazaki] The entire staff is all-out working hard to make a game that players will enjoy. I know it's a bit of a cliché, but please look forward to what's coming.

This is all, no more posts. Hope everyone enjoys reading the article. It is a lot more in depth that the interviews that Miyazaki-san has given in the west.

Elden Ring - Miyazaki's Interviews Overview (Day 365) 10:28
    https://youtu.be/vGwhoZy0j_w

Peas on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I'm sure it irks the 'but my next gen experience' people, but I'm ecstatic that Elden Ring is cross-gen, especially with PS5s being rarer than Rule of Rose.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm sure it irks the 'but my next gen experience' people, but I'm ecstatic that Elden Ring is cross-gen, especially with PS5s being rarer than Rule of Rose.

Oh man I had watched a review for the new Ratchet & Clank where they made the joke that, “The game is amazing and you should totally pick up the sequel once people can buy PS5s.”

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    IceBurner wrote: »
    I'd sure like it if that all turns out as described. I'm bearing in mind there's at least 6 months of development left and we don't know how accurate a picture we've taken away from the interview.

We're sure to find out more before it's out. I'm being quite reserved with any anticipation.

Being reserved with any game is probably the best thing to do for ones own mental health.

It's more like "don't get hyped if you know you get negatively impacted when things don't live up to expectations"

Because I'm a hype machine over here. And spending a bunch of time excited and happy for things is a positive feeling not a bad one. Definitely adds a bunch more instances of enjoyment and fun into life.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Ovaltine is the name of the end boss.

edit: Ovaltine McGillicutty.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Yeah. It’s also designed as a PS4/XB1 game primarily, which is why you can’t even buy a PS5/XBS version from the site.

It should run well for everyone.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    On combat complexity, DS3 has some really interesting weapons that do very different things when making certain attack combos, like the Farron Greatsword.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I imagine they've at least glanced at what the modding scene is capable of and took some ideas.

At least, I would.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/x2XK5nxm5r0

wait, you can capture enemies and summon them to assist you in combat?
    I don't know about you guys, but I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was.
    To catch them is my real test, to train them is my cause.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Bought Sekiro yesterday because the Elden Ring trailer made me want to play a Souls-like game and I had heard good things about it.

Fuck me I am garbotrash at it's deflection mechanics. I had to re-try those first few fights against nameless mooks like 15 times before I could finally make it to that first boss. Took like 4 more tries to beat him. I guess I can't use my spear+shield+heavy armor strategy from DS1 here and I'll have to actually git gud. Otherwise I'm not going to make it far lol

JtgVX0H.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    One of my issues with Sekiro is that there is really only one valid way to approach the game. There are some minor tweaks you can make to the game play, with combat arts and some items, but mostly it's git gud or git out. Vaati touches on it in his video. There's no way to really control difficulty in Sekiro. Which some people loved and there's nothing wrong with that...but that and several other things definitely puts Sekiro at the bottom of the From list for me.

I'm very glad they are going back to a more RPG based formula for Elden Ring, where people can play a bit of "choose your own difficulty" just using the in game systems.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Trying to do the equivalent of holding your shield up is a no go. But you also don’t need to be a frame-perfect parry genius.

You can mash that parry button to death.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    One of my issues with Sekiro is that there is really only one valid way to approach the game. There are some minor tweaks you can make to the game play, with combat arts and some items, but mostly it's git gud or git out. Vaati touches on it in his video. There's no way to really control difficulty in Sekiro. Which some people loved and there's nothing wrong with that...but that and several other things definitely puts Sekiro at the bottom of the From list for me.

I'm very glad they are going back to a more RPG based formula for Elden Ring, where people can play a bit of "choose your own difficulty" just using the in game systems.

Ahem excuse me! No parry player over here! Beat the whole game only using parry vs two enemies(because you could spam parry a particular move and just melt them). But yes on the front of having a primary weapon it will be the same as any other action game with a primary weapon. But from enemy to enemy there are various ways to take them down. Stamina, health, parry, dodge, various different tool approaches.

Obviously not the same as having a million different weapons but there are ways to play the game that work for different people.

DemonStacey on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Fair enough. There are a couple of ways to play the game...though I question how you beat certain bosses without parry and mikiri counter, I'll accept that it happened. That doesn't change the fact that Sekiro has a number of play styles counted on one hand, versus Soulsborne where you probably can't count them with all your digits.

e: And I think it's important to point out that in many ways the play styles on offer in the other games are in many cases built in difficulty control. See how mage builds in many of the games ease the difficulty curve considerably. That's really the part Sekiro lacks.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    there may be other ways that sort of work but sekiro definitely has a correct way to play.

it took me like 75% of the way through the game to really understand how you were supposed to fight in sekiro, but once you get it the boss fights become easily the best things From has ever done. the fights are more like a character action game like bayonetta than the typical soulsborne style

Also a lot of the alternative play styles in the dark souls series are broken and not mechanically interesting

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
    edited June 2021
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Fair enough. There are a couple of ways to play the game...though I question how you beat certain bosses without parry and mikiri counter, I'll accept that it happened. That doesn't change the fact that Sekiro has a number of play styles counted on one hand, versus Soulsborne where you probably can't count them with all your digits.

e: And I think it's important to point out that in many ways the play styles on offer in the other games are in many cases built in difficulty control. See how mage builds in many of the games ease the difficulty curve considerably. That's really the part Sekiro lacks.

The power of abusing no stamina is quite potent!

Seriously though some bosses were easier using my method of just sprinting around in circles than trying to parry. One shot and two shot some bosses. Overall I probably had an easier time with it than other souls games. But that was definitely a matter of just my style of playing these games.

DemonStacey on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I've played and beaten all the games but Bloodborne and Sekiro was by far the most difficult for me, too.

I can't say which DS game was the most difficult but I think it goes:

1. DS you spent a good amount of the game initially fighting the clunk more than the enemies, but by the time you get the dodge roll, parry, and boss bum hug moves down things get a bit easier (until the dlc).
    2. DS2's levels were fucking brutal, and the star of the show here. Except for those levels.
    3. DS3 was a nice balance, but it definitely felt like the bosses were tuned higher than the levels until the DLC. The Dreg Heap was insane.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Played more Sekiro for about an hour and continued to get pummelfucked into the ground, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. I'm enjoying it for now though, without the dread of playing it I got from DS 1 & 2

JtgVX0H.png
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2XK5nxm5r0

Vaati waxes velvety-smooth about all the Elden Ring info we have

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I'm glad you linked the interview and not the clickbait articles referencing it, at least.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    George R.R Martin Talks Elden Ring 1:32
    https://youtu.be/txuJj9CO5eA

No new info just some interesting bit

The internet seems very excited that he says it's a sequel. Even though it seems more like he was paid to write some fluff text and wasn't really sure what it was for

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    I mean the thing is that he just kinda misspoke there is all.

Not really anything of note in that particular statement.

I dunno about even misspeaking, I just think he's quite outside the sphere that this even matters. I'm sure he's heard of Dark Souls just because of the cultutral zeitgeist but he said it was a game that came out a "few years ago."

Once again the internet trying to ply meaning out of absolutely nothing.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    What a lot of people don’t know is that GGRM only wrote the item descriptions for the cheeses. The game contains 45 unique cheeses.

I dunno about even misspeaking, I just think he's quite outside the sphere that this even matters. I'm sure he's heard of Dark Souls just because of the cultutral zeitgeist but he said it was a game that came out a "few years ago."

Once again the internet trying to ply meaning out of absolutely nothing.

Oh yea that's what I mean. He doesn't know all the details about these games. He just knows there were these games called Dark Souls(because that's what these people told him) and now their new game is called Elden Ring. So he just went with the word sequel. Probably not really much thought went all into saying it.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    What a lot of people don’t know is that GGRM only wrote the item descriptions for the cheeses. The game contains 45 unique cheeses.

I hear they got Maisie Williams to sing the cheese song:
    https://youtu.be/UXGtWK-kTEM

• DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    This Camembert was forged by the cheesesmiths of Oolocile, who believed that all milk proteins contained an essence of the divine. Ultimately this belief led to their downfall during the great spoiling of the Londo Cheese Wheel

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The PLOT of Elden Ring EXPLAINED !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bdHBoG2bLY

edited June 2021
    "The Lands Between is just "Middle Earth" put through a thesaurus."

"Miyazaki's storytelling is kind of the opposite [from George RR Martin's], famously light touch with games whose stories have frankly already finished by the time you start playing, like your character showed up tragically late to their own game."

(It's meant in good humor)

It's a fun vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5hCNa7M4do

jungleroomx on
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I really, No joke, hope no one ends up burned with expecations with Elden Ring. I mean, i hope it's a good game, but the level of crazy hype for it is a bit... i hope this lives up to and is fun for people, you know?

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    I really, No joke, hope no one ends up burned with expecations with Elden Ring. I mean, i hope it's a good game, but the level of crazy hype for it is a bit... i hope this lives up to and is fun for people, you know?

Right now my full expectations are a souls game with pokemon cubes and a jump button in an open world.

People will be burned due to hype. It happens all the time, and from what I remember people hyping themselves into the stratosphere has happened on every single From game since DS1

I dunno, the only (modern) Fromsoft game where the hype's burned me was Bloodborne, where I'd rate it as one of my least favorites rather than it being the best Soulsborne hands down as its reputation suggested.

Every single other Fromsoft game has exceeded expectations, despite me going in with high expectations, except for Sekiro, which I knew I was going to be disappointed with. And by the end of all the suffering I even enjoyed the time I put into it enough that I'd play a sequel (while bemoaning the fact that it wasn't another Soulsborne).

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

I got excited for the trailer (it's real! it looks cool as hell!) and now I'm just ducking out of all the coverage until it comes out. I know I'm gonna buy it, breathlessly speculating and hyping myself is just a recipe for disappointment.

edited July 2021
    I definitely feel DS2 got unfairly maligned due to fanboy overhype and it just stuck

jungleroomx on
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I definitely feel DS2 got unfairly maligned due to fanboy overhype and it just stuck

I low key kinda love a lot of what DS2 did. It has issues (Why oh why are Iframes tied to a stat, the weapon durability system being an interesting idea butchered by implementation issues), but holy shit the way people talk about it you'd think it personally broke into their homes and force-fed their dog every copy of DS1 in an attempt to make them play it or something.

Super irritating because there's a lot to genuinely critique in that game, and a lot of really good bits too - it's a game of extremes! But the discourse around it is whooof.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891

I low key kinda love a lot of what DS2 did. It has issues (Why oh why are Iframes tied to a stat, the weapon durability system being an interesting idea butchered by implementation issues), but holy shit the way people talk about it you'd think it personally broke into their homes and force-fed their dog every copy of DS1 in an attempt to make them play it or something.

Super irritating because there's a lot to genuinely critique in that game, and a lot of really good bits too - it's a game of extremes! But the discourse around it is whooof.

I think DS2's reputation has significantly improved with time. I don't see the same sort of unending negativity where praise is odd around it in Souls communities the way you see around, say, 4E in D&D communities.

This discussion has been closed.