As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy the 14th, where the end of the world is on the way!

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I think it was more due to brayflox hard mode, where you ran to the boss pulling like 30+ mobs and killed them all at once

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    They actually changed Amdapor though to get rid of that strategy. Now when you do it you can't go through the door to the first boss without killing the mobs right in front of it.

Every dungeon after that has had some sort of hard barrier that required you to kill mobs to open it.

Brayflox hard had a giant first pull, but you still had to kill them. You couldn't death cheese it since you needed the key to get to the boss.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    You used to also be able to pull everything up to the first boss, then have your black mage sleep them all in wanders palace.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    You could also have the tank pull everything right up the the barrier, have anyone else start the boss and then when the lockout activates all the mobs would reset.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    All of this sounds significantly more complicated than just pulling the mobs a couple of packs at a time and killing them.

• Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    There wasn't an expert roulette, hunts or basically any other way to get to your weekly tome cap outside of raids other than running dungeons, so it was mostly about just getting Wanderer's down to as short a time as possible and doing it ten (I think? Been a while) times in a row.

Billiardball on
    Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    Not all Shadowbringer relics look good, sure, but...
    TJXLMla.jpg

See, I think that one looks okay. But all of them are marred by the, for lack of a better way of describing it, disconnected, glowing NBC peacock feathers. It's just an ugly, distracting, headscratching design choice, and it annoys me every time I see it. It looks spectacularly clumsy, especially compared to the previous weapon glow step.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    On the other hand I like those bits. It's a very unique glow pattern.

Some of the color choices for them are awkward, but I think it's neat.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I ended up applying my keys/activating my full account today well before levelling up a bunch of jobs to 60 as planned as it's been literally impossible for me to login at anytime over the last weekend and today since trial players can't enter the login queue; curse your sudden popularity ffxiv :p

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    I ended up applying my keys/activating my full account today well before levelling up a bunch of jobs to 60 as planned as it's been literally impossible for me to login at anytime over the last weekend and today since trial players can't enter the login queue; curse your sudden popularity ffxiv :p

Oh dip, i didnt realize you couldnt queue as a free trial player. Thats kinda rough.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    That is a very recent change, they are also logging people out who have been inactive for 30 minutes.

Seg on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    I think they increased capacity too?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    How recent? I've been plinking away at the PS5 free trial for the past week or so. Every single time, even in the dead of night, I've had a queue of about 40, but it's only been about 2-3 minutes, and it's always let me in. Even today I've logged in twice, both to queues, and it's still let me play. If the game is going to start routinely telling me to go suck a lemon... well I can understand the extreme situation going on, but to be told "I'm not wanted" is pretty damn shitty.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    How recent? I've been plinking away at the PS5 free trial for the past week or so. Every single time, even in the dead of night, I've had a queue of about 40, but it's only been about 2-3 minutes, and it's always let me in. Even today I've logged in twice, both to queues, and it's still let me play. If the game is going to start routinely telling me to go suck a lemon... well I can understand the extreme situation going on, but to be told "I'm not wanted" is pretty damn shitty.

there's two types of queues; login server queue and world queues.and they both look exactly the same as far as i can tell; free players can still queue for the login server; but not if their actual world is full. So it's pretty much imposible to tell if it'll effect you or not as far as i can tell. I know sargatanas has been impossible to get onas a free player at any time of day or night though for the past couple of days. As mentioned above i started being told i couldn't queue as a free player late Saturday night/sunday

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

there's two types of queues; login server queue and world queues.and they both look exactly the same as far as i can tell; free players can still queue for the login server; but not if their actual world is full. So it's pretty much imposible to tell if it'll effect you or not as far as i can tell. I know sargatanas has been impossible to get onas a free player at any time of day or night though for the past couple of days. As mentioned above i started being told i couldn't queue as a free player late Saturday night/sunday

Woof. I'll count myself blessed and lucky then, at least so far. Like I said, I get it, and would probably reluctantly agree to it. Doesn't feel good being on the wrong side though.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    re: Dungeon walls/pulling.

As a recovering main tank player in MMO's, I appreciate the forced chillness of leveling dungeons in this game purely for roulette reasons. I don't mind pushing hard on a dungeon if I'm playing with a static, but when I'm rouletting I want the chillest experience possible. I don't need or want a big challenge when doing my daily bonus runs. If I want a challenge I'll find a static and push higher difficulty content.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    asmon isn't on Sargatanas, right? I'd really like to avoid a bigot and his fan base while I finally stop being a lazy ass and play through the MSQ instead of skipping it.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    asmon isn't on Sargatanas, right? I'd really like to avoid a bigot and his fan base while I finally stop being a lazy ass and play through the MSQ instead of skipping it.

Same data center, iirc? But not Sarg specifically.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

I forgot how data centers work. Does that mean I may end up interacting with them?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i mean you may interact with them just by posting in this thread

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

Cactuar, yeah. It's conceivable that you could run into him in a dungeon, but people watching his streams try to hop in with him so it's really unlikely.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    With his viewership you probably won't even run into him in 24 person content.

Though his fans are spread out over every data center and you probably end up in a run with one every time you do a roulette.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    i mean you may interact with them just by posting in this thread

Ok, I can't keep this up. It's time for me to come clean.

Guys, I am Asmongold.
    Don't forget to rate, comment, and subscribe!

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    It's 2am why is there a queueueueueueueueueueueue?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    On Sarg I'm fairly sure there is a queue 24/7 right now.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Same on Chaos data center. We're actually getting improved server infrastructure tomorrow! Hopefully that'll alleviate things a bit.

• Options
    There's been a persistent queue of sub-50 on Marlboro for the last few months, even before 5.4 dropped. I'm not entirely sure it's as an accurate of representation of server load as it once was.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I always have a queue, but it also only lasts a couple minutes, so I never care much

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's not the 'server is full' queue but just pacing out the access. Server is full is when it's in the mid-hundreds and trial accounts aren't allowed in at all.

• Options
    I don't know the last time I didn't have a queue logging into Sarg. I mean, it usually only takes a minute or two, so it's not an issue, but.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I play on Faerie and there has been a consistent queue to login that ranges usually from 20 peeps to around 60, depending on time of day. But the queue is always there, but has always also been fairly negligible.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Yeah, that's not the 'server is full' queue but just pacing out the access. Server is full is when it's in the mid-hundreds and trial accounts aren't allowed in at all.

Oh, mb. Not sure I’ve seen that before then

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I don't know the last time I didn't have a queue logging into Sarg. I mean, it usually only takes a minute or two, so it's not an issue, but.

I almost always play on off hours. mid afternoon or late late at night. I would sometimes get a queue of like 17 mid-day, but never any late.

Now, it's all the time, any time.

Sure, it's not a long queue, but it was just surprising that even with afk booting, I got a queue at 2am.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I can confirm from a friend that with normal queue numbers, like under 50 or 100, free trial players have no problem getting in.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Ok fine. It's time for my mea culpa. I'm enjoying the shit out of crafting. And my old goldmaking muscles from WoW are getting good workouts.

Edit: now someone buy my silly aquarium for like 500k

Mugsley on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Hey in case anyone didn’t see Encyclopedia Eorzea vol 1 and 2 are getting reprints early next year. Both are up on SE store now, but vol 1 is also up on Amazon (watching for 2 as well)

I’ve been wanting both, cause they look really nice. Super excited to be able to order them finally.

Both also come with dlc (namingway minion and Matoya’s hat).

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    This is the first time I'm trying to play an MMO that isn't Destiny.

It feels like FF12 paved the way for 14, with the ability queue and city structure. I kinda want to play that one first but I'd rather get strong enough to play with my friends.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    12 huh? Not 11? True, 12 did have that switch to menu-based real-time battles with overworld enemies.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    ARR is very similar to 12, mostly because Yoshi-P is a huge fan of 12.

1.0 was 11-esque.

• Options
    There's definitely some 12 in there but also there's a lot of convergent evolution because they both took ideas from other MMOs, 2.0 was clearly influenced most heavily by WoW and I remember people describing 12 as feeling like a single player MMORPG in the combat in some ways back in the day.

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.