Options

[Xbox] Another Big Sale to see out this thread!

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Oh good lord, Microsoft Flight Simulator is up for preload.

97.24 gig.

To start, there are optional downloads to reduce streaming, apparently.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    That’s honestly not that bad really, compared to what I was expecting

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Cries in xbox series S.

How big is a full install with no streaming?

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Karl wrote: »
    Cries in xbox series S.

98 GB.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Karl wrote: »
    Cries in xbox series S.

98 GB.

106 hours.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    After all, it's smaller than the current generation Call of Duty and you can't even visit all of fictional Russia in that game.

*Small Comfort*

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Left it overnight, got to 94%, now it's slowed to a crawl. Hmmm.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Left it overnight, got to 94%, now it's slowed to a crawl. Hmmm.

akamai is down this morning

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Reading up on Flight Sim, as I'm hyped for some reason, it sounds like your download bandwidth is important as large chunks of the game are streamed in. The minimum is 5mbps, the recommended is 20mbps, and the ideal is 50mbps. Also, for those of use who have to worry about data caps there is a local cache that'll keep some of that data local and a cap you can set so you don't accidently go over your cap.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Wow.

I'll never play that, if only out of principle.

• Options
    Wow.

I'll never play that, if only out of principle.

Dead Space or Flight Simulator? Also, which principle?

• Options
    I get annoyed at cosmically large games, but Flight Simulator seems pretty reasonable considering its ambition, and I don't think it's even gonna be the biggest game on my console.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Elki wrote: »
    I get annoyed at cosmically large games, but Flight Simulator seems pretty reasonable considering its ambition, and I don't think it's even gonna be the biggest game on my console.

Considering Call of Duty is, in fact, one of the largest video game franchises globally, and is potentially much bigger (depending on what version and which content), there's a good chance that Flight Simulator wouldn't even be the largest video game for most current generation console owners.

Asobo Studios is just lucky they're producing this game in the age of Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War (just to use an example).

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    My limit searching tells me that the HD world data for MSFS2020, according to the developer Asobo, is measured in petabytes. As in millions of gigabytes.

In a case like that I'm okay with their streaming setup. You can still fly around with no internet connection at all, it just won't look as nice.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Dead Space is the only horror game I could get into, and the first was my favorite of the three.

Slower pace, more deliberate movement and combat, no eye horror...

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Arteen wrote: »
    Dead Space is the only horror game I could get into, and the first was my favorite of the three.

Step 1 : crawl into the machine

Step 2 : the screws go tight all around.

Cross my heart and hope to die , stick a needle in my eye.

Holy hell that was a tense sequence in 2.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular

Not much makes me squirm in games but I nearly couldn't complete that part. It still makes my skin crawl

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    To be honest I actually hate horror games, but Dead Space has fun gameplay and I just tolerate the scares. Brighten the colors, add a festive atmosphere, make it a wholesome monster dismemberment experience and I'd have a better time.

So what I'm saying is the game should be replace all the necromorphs with animals from Viva Pinata.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    To be honest I actually hate horror games, but Dead Space has fun gameplay and I just tolerate the scares. Brighten the colors, add a festive atmosphere, make it a wholesome monster dismemberment experience and I'd have a better time.

So what I'm saying is the game should be replace all the necromorphs with animals from Viva Pinata.

I once installed a mod on the original Doom that replaced some of the monsters with Barney the dinosaur. Turned out it was more frightening that way.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular

Especially on Hard Core.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

For me the horror stuff makes the action stuff more satisfying. Like this scary space zombie jumps out of a vent screeching at you and then you just John Wick its limbs off.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Bloodroots on Gamepass is pretty fun but unfortunately isn't the calm drop in and out game I'm looking for to supplement whatever my current rpg is.

Sort of a fast paced 3rd person action brawler where everything, including yourself, dies in one hit. Weapons are limited to 1-3 uses but the battlegrounds are positively littered with them and there's a huge variety to choose from. Carrots, shark heads, swords, oars, cabbages, fence posts, riding barrels, shish-ka-bobs, etc and they all feel a little different.

I end up spending too much time and concentration trying to optimize a run for it to fit into the open gaming slots I have right now but it's been fun so far.

Carpy on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Yeah I think I got close to the end of chapter 2 in bloodroots before it started to get a little too frustrating. Like it’s not necessarily a bad thing, it’s just the gameplay went from “fun tune out” to “fun but intensely challenging where you have to focus and pay attention and one misstep will ruin everything” and I just wasn’t in the mood for that

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

kinda hope they don't decide to fully voice Isaac in DS1 beyond his grunts and whatnot. it was a big part of that game.

I suspect this time around he will not only speak but we'll see his face all the time, which was okay in the sequels... but eh.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

Not much makes me squirm in games but I nearly couldn't complete that part. It still makes my skin crawl

I messed up that section first time and had to turn off the game. Take a little break.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Yeah I think I got close to the end of chapter 2 in bloodroots before it started to get a little too frustrating. Like it’s not necessarily a bad thing, it’s just the gameplay went from “fun tune out” to “fun but intensely challenging where you have to focus and pay attention and one misstep will ruin everything” and I just wasn’t in the mood for that

Cross Code ended up falling into this same category for me. I really liked the music and all the overworld stuff but the dungeons and their constant precision puzzles left me feeling exhausted after playing.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/inside-infinite-july-2021

Halo Infinite flighting (their testing program) begins Soon™
    The first flight, the first technical preview, will consist of:
    • 4v4 co-op vs. bots on 3 Arena maps (Live Fire, Bazaar, and Recharge)
    • a truncated Battle Pass and some free currency to test customization and progression
    • a set of 12 Weapon Drills which are challenges where you have to use specific weapons against bots to set a high score in a training environment
    • the new Halo Waypoint app for iOS and Android.
    Over the course of the Technical Preview, the difficulty of the bots will increase. They have 4 difficulties: Recruit, Marine, ODST, and Spartan. The bots will start on Marine, and get better as they feel the tester base improves over the course of the flight.
    I'm looking forward to it! Weird to start without PVP but I'm glad to play against bots for a bit first so I don't get my ass kicked lol

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Here's a sort of odd question: when I boot up my X1 I always check for any new updates and it takes several minutes to return any data. It also seems to take longer than you'd think to update the store app.

Is this typical behaviour or just a side-effect of my dead-hamster internet?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Here's a sort of odd question: when I boot up my X1 I always check for any new updates and it takes several minutes to return any data. It also seems to take longer than you'd think to update the store app.

Do you have an external drive? Because I don't think the Xbox keeps a quick list of everything it has installed and thus has to scan all connected drives to tell what games are there and what version they are.

Dunno what's up with the store app.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

Do you have an external drive? Because I don't think the Xbox keeps a quick list of everything it has installed and thus has to scan all connected drives to tell what games are there and what version they are.

Ah, I will say "checking updates" is weirdly slow, yeah. And I'm on "lots of internets" and a Series X. Probably a combo of the dead hamsters and a naturally slow process.

dporowski on
  • Options
    dporowski wrote: »

Ah, I will say "checking updates" is weirdly slow, yeah. And I'm on "lots of internets" and a Series X. Probably a combo of the dead hamsters and a naturally slow process.

The store app is just what popped up a little bit ago. Game updates seem to start relatively quickly when queued, but all Xbox-based updates seem to do nothing for a long while and then stretch out the update time when it actually begins. And I don't have any external drives connected.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I honestly thought, when I upgraded, that the Series X would be quicker than the 1X when it came to checking for updates -
    but with the external (spindle, not SSD) drives connected, it's actually slower, dead hamster slow, in fact, at around ~25mins. :rotate:
    Without, it takes around about the same amount of time, at ~8mins. So I just tend to just launch games individually now, and get updates that way.

I'm probably an edge case though, most people won't have 850+ games installed at the same time... I mean, that would be bonkers, right? :P :ellipses:

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I honestly thought, when I upgraded, that the Series X would be quicker than the 1X when it came to checking for updates -
    but with the external (spindle, not SSD) drives connected, it's actually slower, dead hamster slow, in fact, at around ~25mins. :rotate:
    Without, it takes around about the same amount of time, at ~8mins. So I just tend to just launch games individually now, and get updates that way.

I'm probably an edge case though, most people won't have 850+ games installed at the same time... I mean, that would be bonkers, right? :P :ellipses:

I actually recommend clicking on the update button, giving it a second, and then backing out and checking on it later. Seems to work much faster for me that way (I also don't keep anywhere near that many games downloaded).

• Options
    I haven’t noticed any slowdowns when checking for updates simply by never checking for updates at any point.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    It's bad enough W10 just starts randomly hogging my meagre bandwidth. I don't need my other devices to start downloading 20GB updates just 'cause one exists.

• Options
    You can set it so your xbox doesn't do automatic updates

• Options
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    So can I play from my XSX to my phone, or does the Xbox app only do cloud?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Correct.

Ahh, haha, I think I misunderstood you. Don't mind me