As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dash cam recommendations

HevachHevach Registered User regular
So we were recently saved from an insurance fraud attempt (guy reversed while stopped at a light) by a good Samaritan with a dash cam, and it's finally time to get one ourselves.

So, having scoured several sites I'm hitting a dead end on reliable information, reviews are full of shills and even the car website reviews are full of marketing wankateering and not actual testing experience.

So, where I stand:

-I like the Garmin cameras because they're voice activated and in my state the courts have said activating a dash cam during a stop is probable cause. However, none of them seem to have a rear facing camera which I would prefer.
-the one in the vans at work replace the rear view mirror, with a screen behind the reflective surface, run off the OnStar power cable if you have one, and have a rear camera, but not knowing the brand I can't find the same thing online except on Wish and... No.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    There is the Garmin Tandem (which has a second camera pointing into the car), but otherwise garmins use autosync instead (that links up to 4 cameras into one record&control function).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    There is the Garmin Tandem (which has a second camera pointing into the car), but otherwise garmins use autosync instead (that links up to 4 cameras into one record&control function).

I hadn't seen that in any of the models I looked at. So, if I understand right, I could get two Garmin Mini's, or a mini and a bigger model, and they'll work like a two camera unit?

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Hevach wrote: »

I hadn't seen that in any of the models I looked at. So, if I understand right, I could get two Garmin Mini's, or a mini and a bigger model, and they'll work like a two camera unit?

Yes. Every Garmin unit that says it supports "Autosync" can be set up like that, including the Mini and Mini2.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=M6OJIxsT1u5075NYaHY15A

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Well that just about makes my decision, wonderful info!