As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[nba] franken-warriors rise as curse of the brook settles over lakers

• Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Leeks wrote: »
    Only took supporting the team for 25+ years to finally see them make the West Finals. Yesterday was a good day.

I'm a jazz guy, and i was never rooting for the clips, but going down 2-0 to the #1 seed, then evening it, THEN losing your main superstar but saying fuck that and sweeping them out anyway? that's good shit right there, and you deserve to be happy.

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    Some of the bizarre results are gonna end up with transitive property saying that like, the Mavs were the 2nd best team in the league and the Blazers were worst in playoffs.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    ahahahahah kd and the band

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    ahahahahah kd and the band

Maybe Kyrie, be less fucking ,"Galaxy Woke Brain Bro Dukie" and the Basketball gods would've been In your favor, health wise.

Pro tip for next year Kyrie, shut the fuck up and just ball next year , broski!

• Options
    So, with the Nets going out, we are definitely getting a new player and team with title winning, finals MVP creds. It could be Embiid! It could even be Chris Paul! It could somehow even be Paul George! Unless its kawhi, the most boring outcome.

• Options
    LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    Personally I'm rooting for PG or Terance Mann FMVP. I'm good with Chris Paul if the Suns take the Clippers out though.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Ben Simmons will be Finals MVP. For the Clippers.

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Ben Simmons will be Finals MVP. For the Clippers.

Looks like Simmons collapsed to early for that.

I still think mccullom for Simmons makes a lot of sense, but neither leaving a good impression this post season.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    You know I was trying to think of a player that reminded me of Simmons, and the best comp I could come up with was Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. And then the more I thought about it the more I realized it's an amazingly good comparison, with the main differences being that MKG never had the ball all the time, would actually set hard screens, and nominally played the correct position.

I'm amazed that Simmons was able to bamboozle people for so long into thinking that he was an All-Star, let alone an All-NBA player. You'd think that once Seth Curry showed up and actually spread the floor properly, Sixers fans in particular would notice the jarring comparison and reconsider Simmons's value. Instead most of them seemed to double down.

At least, they did until now.

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    god damn these playoffs are turning out to be great even in spite of all the injuries

crazy stuff happening

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Kasyn wrote: »
    god damn these playoffs are turning out to be great even in spite of all the injuries

crazy stuff happening

The ending of that Suns/Clippers game last night was nuts.

Also, Patrick Beverly is a motherfucker. And I say that with all due respect and someone who enjoyed watching him play with the Rockets. But yeah that dude gets away with murder.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    He's the type of guy that makes me root against his team no matter who else is on it.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    He's the type of guy that makes me root against his team no matter who else is on it.

I love that in the bubble dudes were shit talking him from the court they were playing on while he was a court over in a different game

• Options
    I used to like Bev when he was on the Rockets, but he quickly became more and more incorrigible as time went on. At some point, you have to take responsibility for your own reckless play. Not injuring other people while doing your thing is part of what defines skill. If you can't do what you do without endangering other players then you need to change your approach.

I also have the same dislike for Dellavedova, albeit on a smaller scale.

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    I can't even fathom the size of Trae Young's balls with that shimmy.

On the road? In the Conference Finals? BEFORE YOU SHOOT THE THREE?

Absolutely incredible.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Ugh. Blazers hire Chauncy Billups.

I feel like you have to start any conversation about this with his allegations. It's not as laughably bad as the Mav's saying they are rebuilding their team culture after allegations started flying of abuse in the front office, and then turning around and hiring someone who plead guilty to abusing his wife (for basically the most prominent position in their company). But still, the allegation is there (although Billups denies any wrong doing) and I just don't see how he could possibly be such a good candidate as to overlook that.

He has 1 year as an assistant coach, and that's it. Don't get me wrong, I definitely did not want to be part of the coaching carousel, where we just hire one of like 10 guys who've been going from coaching position to coaching position, but 1 year as an assistant is a very short tenure for the head coach of a team that needs to win now (like literally next year may be their last real shot before an extended downturn).

Jebus314 on
  • Options
    Becky Hammon right there too while Kidd and Billups getting undeserved looks

• Options
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Yeah I read Dave’s piece. I have to say I am not a huge fan of his writing lately. He’s a lot more defeatist and sermon sounding than he used to be, but I mostly agree with his points here.

Blazersedge also has a few reaction pieces at the top right now which are by female fans. A nice gesture from a major fan site for a sport typically dominated by men (coaches, owners, broadcasters, fans, etc).

Comment section is basically the conversation that always seems to happen (“innocent until proven guilty”/“everyone deserves a second chance” crowd versus the “not giving convicted and/or settled out of court accused abusers one of the most prestigious jobs in the country is the least we could do” crowd).

Also super disappointed that Dame’s reaction was basically “I didn’t know” / “not my problem”.

Jebus314 on
  • Options
    I also enjoyed the Dave Deckard piece? And posted it a couple weeks ago. I have three additional thoughts though.

There is literally no evidence that Billups or Kidd have actually done any rehabilitation. in a genuine concept of restorative justice, a person has to continue to take accountability for their actions for as long as the harmed parties experience harm. Its about not continuing harm. Its about admitting fault, and continuing to carry it going forward. Its about not seeking opportunities that would cause further harm. It isnt paying a fine, and not doing it again.

It is possible that billups was falsely accused, but going on history and statistics, its really really unlikely. We live in a world of imperfect information, and some people end up having to bare the unfairness resulting from that uncertainty. We can err on the victims baring that burden, or the very powerful men whose "harm" is not getting a pinnacle level job. I would choose the latter. In that way, i echo Dave.

This makes it hard for me to root for the Blazers. Im not sure what happens with my fandom now. I feel very conflicted about rooting for a franchise that is led this way. I dont know what i will do, but i know that i unthinkly put on my blazerd hat today, and when i went out i realized that i could be reminding people about their own sexual assault, and it made me feel sick. I couldn't wear it.

• Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    Last nights Suns Clippers game may have been the worst fourth quarter of basketball I've ever watched. Sure there was good defense, but no one could buy a bucket and The Suns going to run the clock down, iso, and miss basketball was painful to watch. I swear the last minute of that game took 20 minutes to play.

Also as a Mavs fan, shaking my head at JKidd hiring.

• Options
    burbo wrote: »
    I also enjoyed the Dave Deckard piece? And posted it a couple weeks ago. I have three additional thoughts though.

There is literally no evidence that Billups or Kidd have actually done any rehabilitation. in a genuine concept of restorative justice, a person has to continue to take accountability for their actions for as long as the harmed parties experience harm. Its about not continuing harm. Its about admitting fault, and continuing to carry it going forward. Its about not seeking opportunities that would cause further harm. It isnt paying a fine, and not doing it again.

It is possible that billups was falsely accused, but going on history and statistics, its really really unlikely. We live in a world of imperfect information, and some people end up having to bare the unfairness resulting from that uncertainty. We can err on the victims baring that burden, or the very powerful men whose "harm" is not getting a pinnacle level job. I would choose the latter. In that way, i echo Dave.

This makes it hard for me to root for the Blazers. Im not sure what happens with my fandom now. I feel very conflicted about rooting for a franchise that is led this way. I dont know what i will do, but i know that i unthinkly put on my blazerd hat today, and when i went out i realized that i could be reminding people about their own sexual assault, and it made me feel sick. I couldn't wear it.

can i interest you in another hat
    ff_2634220_full.jpg&w=340

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    F in chat for the Bucks after Giannis hyperextending his knee just now.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Holy fuck Beverley. What are you even doing man??

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    burbo wrote: »

can i interest you in another hat
    ff_2634220_full.jpg&w=340

"Only if you give us Klay an picks for Ben!" We gave you Wilt and the Warriors for crying out loud?"

- Philly fans.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Blouses
    Congrats giannis
    Time to retire cp3, kinda like Charles Barkley, questions about his legacy forever, I don't think he will get another chance at a title like this again
    Book and DA can come to the Bay

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Blouses
    Congrats giannis
    Time to retire cp3, kinda like Charles Barkley, questions about his legacy forever, I don't he will get another chance at a title like this again

If Dre want to come back to Saignaw, Michigan, minus the Saginaw, MI, the Deer faithful welcomes him in the cooler
    section of Wisconsin across the Lake from Detroit. He can then, see his childhood home from there.

Klay is welcomed too!

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »
    Blouses
    Congrats giannis
    Time to retire cp3, kinda like Charles Barkley, questions about his legacy forever, I don't he will get another chance at a title like this again

If Dre want to come back to Saignaw, Michigan, minus the Saginaw, MI, the Deer faithful welcomes him in the cooler
    section of Wisconsin across the Lake from Detroit. He can then, see his childhood home from there.

Klay is welcomed too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG8hRcZpgys
    its too late
    wiggins, wiseman and looney are already on a plane to Milwaukee
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5FT3IGXtAk

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    yikes

poor showing from usa basketball, pop needs to get their shit together

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Luka absolutely tearing it up with 48-10-5 in their first game
    slovenia is gonna be hard to beat too
    but we gotta focus on getting out of the group for now

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    samskinnersamskinner Registered User regular
    Kemba Walker? Hell nah.

• Options
    Man Olympic 3x3 basketball is really entertaining, it'll be really fun when NBA superstars get involved

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I dunno that they will though. Seems like the games played requirement is strict enough that they'd have to play in a league in the off-season

• Options
    3 ex 3 was created by FIBA to basically exclude current NBA (and WNBA) players so more countries could compete

It is the anti-Dream Team sport

• Options
    lol lakers talking to wiz about selling the house for russ
    that'd be such a huge mistake for the lakers, i hope they do it

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    lol lakers talking to wiz about selling the house for russ
    that'd be such a huge mistake for the lakers, i hope they do it

DL, you gonna question the Great Lakers GM, Rob Lowe!? How dare you..

Actually I'm all for more Lakers LMAO. Go get CP3 so he and Bron can choke together on the AARP card. (I'm 40 so I feels that!)

And thankful that Giannis and Luka with Steph are going to be the faces of the league. KD can hit the fucking bricks.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    @enlightenedbum how about Detroit taking Livers and Garza

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Livers will be a good bench player. Garza cannot guard anybody at the NBA level.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    we got Spain with the old men Gasols and Ricky Rubio next which will be challenging considering how small we are
    at least KD is now starting to play like he means it

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    france vs USA for gold starts soon
    watching the US guys adjust to Fiba play is amusing especially when the fouls down low and shooting fouls don't get called as often
    whats also fun is watching people smack the ball away even when its rolling around on the rim, the NBa really needs to readjust the goaltending rules to allow that

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!