Options

It is such a Quiet Thing, to [Chat]. But far more terrible is to admit it.

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    I've been checking out YouTube videos trying to figure out the whole 1 and 3 vs 2 and 4 clapping thing.

Took 3-4 videos for me to find someone unhip enough not to talk over my head. Think I'm an average level of untrained rhythm potential. Just kinda do what the audience does and can feel when its good vs not but cannot pinpoint the problem.

it's literally just a cool/uncool thing and has no basis in, like, actual theory saying you should clap on 2 and 4

Some music does seem to resonate differently when the clapping volume rivals the beats and is clapping inappropriately vs desired. But it doesn't seem universal and untrained slobs like me cannot always tell where clapping beats should go.

Clap on the snare!

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/its-time-to-put-the-headphone-jack-behind-us
    It's time to put the headphone jack behind us

Commentary: With huge advances in wireless audio, is the humble 3.5mm headphone jack as crucial as it once was?
    The fact of the matter is, five years have passed and that's a long time in tech. We've seen innovation in wireless audio technology come on leaps and bounds. In its infancy it was spotty, but now we have codecs that can almost mimic the fidelity of lossless audio. Not to mention the extra real estate freed up by the 3.5mm headphone jack's omission.

HIsssssssssssssssss

I am no audiophile, but I want something I can rely on without worrying about battery degrading and making it mostly unusable

We don't need more real estate on phones. They are thin enough!

I have some noise cancelling phones and like being able to use them as normal wired headphones even when I forget to recharge them!

troll article from an outrage troll I think

you bit the habanero

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    If I get the next Chat Chanus can have it, and if Chanus doesn't want it, Summary can have it.

I have no ideas for an OP

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    i usually have headphones in for like 8-10 hours a day depending on work/working out/travelling

4 hours is garbo, garbo i say

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Battery life always becomes shit after like two years.

Talk about how the battery life is up to 24 hours on a full charge. It will be a lot less than that after a few years

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Met a great girl like same week my sister dies. She just moved to Houston. She fierce. Let's see where this goes.

how's that, uh, multiple personality thing going?
    No sign of other me. I'll get more sleep eat better and quit drinking booze.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    I've been checking out YouTube videos trying to figure out the whole 1 and 3 vs 2 and 4 clapping thing.

Took 3-4 videos for me to find someone unhip enough not to talk over my head. Think I'm an average level of untrained rhythm potential. Just kinda do what the audience does and can feel when its good vs not but cannot pinpoint the problem.

it's literally just a cool/uncool thing and has no basis in, like, actual theory saying you should clap on 2 and 4

Some music does seem to resonate differently when the clapping volume rivals the beats and is clapping inappropriately vs desired. But it doesn't seem universal and untrained slobs like me cannot always tell where clapping beats should go.

the snare drum is usually a good indicator

a lot of music uses the backbeat, which is the snare hitting on 2 and 4

boom TAT boom TAT

clapping on 1 and 3 is pretty rarely going to line up with the beat properly in most popular styles of music and so that's why it sounds just kind of dorky to do it

Yes but the point is pointing out to dorks they are being dorky using your hip lingo just leaves us confused and still dorky.

We don't know what 1 and 3 are vs 2 and 4 and just started clapping immediately when the good song came on.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Met a great girl like same week my sister dies. She just moved to Houston. She fierce. Let's see where this goes.

how's that, uh, multiple personality thing going?
    No sign of other me. I'll get more sleep eat better and quit drinking booze.

Rome wasn't built in a day man, you're seeing someone about it, that's progress.

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    If I get the next Chat Chanus can have it, and if Chanus doesn't want it, Summary can have it.

that has never stopped an OP before

• Options
    How to clap on snare when its a piano?

-dorks everywhere

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I thought it was always dorky to clap along with the song no matter how you did it.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Apple fanboys have been arguing that the headphone jack has been obsolete for years so I would not be surprised if it was perfectly earnest

• Options
    i want thiccer phones

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    I thought it was always dorky to clap along with the song no matter how you did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb6pJ4AEOoI

alternately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC6xjO1JoR8

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

i never want it

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Clapping on the 2s makes it seem like a call-and-response where the audience responds, so everyone knows their place in the artist-audience dialectic

Clapping on the first beat is what a child who doesn't understand the nature of jazz nor its shape to come would do in its eagerness, naivete, and selfishness

(This is all pure bullshit)

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

-dorks everywhere

This is why I bring a snare with me in case the pianist forgot theirs

A contender for my worst take is my disbelief in crowd energy and my disdain for clapping along in all contexts

Tumin on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

-dorks everywhere

clapping along to piano music is just always dorky

• Options

i think in most cases this is true unless the person doing the song indicates they would like you to clap

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Still enjoying days gone

Once you get good weapons it’s pretty thrilling to fight large hordes of fast zombies

The bullet sponge enemies can suck it though

• Options

but what about when the band wants you to

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Then it's a dorky band

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    You musicals sound like me when I take a layperson fishing.

Except replace beat counts and chords with slack and knots

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I like to clap along to classical music. Really show my appreciation to that oboe.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Clap on the 1.5 and 2.5, then howl on the 4.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options

Then it's a dorky band

i mean does anyone actually think James Hetfield is cool

• Options
    I will clap on 1.5 and 2.5 as compromise.

• Options
    i show my appreciation for music by recording a video of it on my phone and watching it back later

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    instead of worrying about clapping on 1/3 vs 2/4, I do a steady stream of sixteenth notes

also helps the band keep tempo they really appreciate it

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Oh shit, I think the mods forget to arm Geth, everyone prepare your anime!

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    GDI Brody

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    I love how our tax code is so fucked up that there is a literal "backdoor" Roth option that lets you put in more than you're (otherwise) allowed, and everyone calls it that, and it's perfectly legal.

Isn't there also a Mega Backdoor Roth?

[chat] if you were on a date that was going well and they asked you if you were open to “mega back door” how would you feel about it

• Options
    what about the audience that sings along to the song

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    please i'm not into poop stuff

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    i only clap nested quintuplets

• Options
    desc wrote: »
    I love how our tax code is so fucked up that there is a literal "backdoor" Roth option that lets you put in more than you're (otherwise) allowed, and everyone calls it that, and it's perfectly legal.

[chat] if you were on a date that was going well and they asked you if you were open to “mega back door” how would you feel about it

like it was going well

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    what about the audience that sings along to the song

I'm down with that. Very dashboard confessional, very 00s emo

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    desc wrote: »

I'd have to get some details, who's back door, and what does mega entail, specifically

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    cool sky right now

poo
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I clap arhythmically so as not to attract Shai-hulud

This discussion has been closed.