As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - What If 2: What Iffer

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited September 2021 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - What If 2: What Iffer

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    Johnny17Johnny17 Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I'd like to believe this scene plays like 5 minutes after the last comic with Gabe having totally forgotten that he just told this guy to go fuck himself.

Johnny17 on
  • Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    But what insane ramifications for the timeline does it have that the boxes in panel 1 are slightly off from the previous comic?

Anon von Zilch on
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    For the record, I like how in the show What If?, they blended the comics look of The Watcher and Eternity. I think it looks very good.

• Options
    RonnieRonnie Registered User regular
    I wonder if Dark Future Tycho is tearing up because he remembers how he slighted Gabe, or because he's truly invested in the plight of these hungry snakes.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    The real dark twist is alternate future Gabe's haircut.

• Options
    blueArcanablueArcana Registered User regular
    It's really the same, but it's too majestic to be contained in the frame of the photo.

• Options
    v2miccav2micca Registered User regular
    So, I get the joke is supposed to be somewhat self-disparaging. That creating the Penny-Arcade empire actually represents the lesser of the results of the cosmic dice roll. But let's be honest, Gabe would be a regional manager of a Best-Buy and Tycho would be recording audio-books for independently published Werewolf erotica.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Took me a bit to register who the author of that book was.
    v2micca wrote: »
    So, I get the joke is supposed to be somewhat self-disparaging. That creating the Penny-Arcade empire actually represents the lesser of the results of the cosmic dice roll. But let's be honest, Gabe would be a regional manager of a Best-Buy and Tycho would be recording audio-books for independently published Werewolf erotica.

And of those two fates, which is the darker? You decide.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular
    I like how this Gabe-centric future has a result for him more modest than Tycho, but also has Tycho in prison.

• Options
    Radiated RoninRadiated Ronin Registered User regular
    Now, show us the one where Gabe invents tacos!

• Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    blueArcana wrote: »
    It's really the same, but it's too majestic to be contained in the frame of the photo.

It wraps around to the inner flap of the dust jacket. All of it.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I appreciate the teabag hanging from his glasses. That's a deep cut from real life.

• Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    can't say I am a fan of this arc. Hopefully it's over.

• Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    tiny circles say Now a major motion picture and winner of the pulitzer prize for those interested that missed it.

• Options
    jberryjberry longtime reader firsttime poster Fort Smith Ark USARegistered User regular
    Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field...

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

Gabe is/was such a misanthrope I really don't see him rising to a managerial capacity. At least not one that is customer facing

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »

Gabe is/was such a misanthrope I really don't see him rising to a managerial capacity. At least not one that is customer facing

Then maybe you should get introduced to Frank. Somebody very much based on real people.
    215137335_9N6Uc-L-2.jpg

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    The interesting thing to me is that Penny Arcade not forming isn't the point of change, otherwise there wouldn't be two alternate universes

Each universe is created by either Gabe or Jerry's rejection of the other

So are their successes due to a desire to prove to the other that they're worthy of friendship? Is that the source of all success?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    2rl76cz87945.jpg

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Acquisitions Incorporated: Monty Python Edition/Variant.

Zilla360 on