As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Homestuck]: Turns out the ride NEVER ends

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    You want to know what ride is still going, though? The Undertale/Deltarune/maybe some other anagrams in the future who knows ride! To celebrate Undertale's 6th anniversary, Toby (in robot-voice dog form) played the game with three dads. No, not the McElroys, that was my first guess though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rksOYId-cNA

Neat. You know what's neater, though?
    At the end, Toby announced that Deltarune Chapter 2 will be coming out on Friday!

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    The stream took place while I slept, so this was the mood this morning:
    community-disaster.gif

A lot of excitement going on.
    I'm kinda torn between playing Chapter 1 again and actually facing Jevil, or letting my save progress as is

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    He can't just do this to us.

Absalon on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    rev up those lore theory youtube channels

• Options
    Everyone roll up the headcanon carpets you laid down so Toby can work at the floorboards.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    NUTDEALER TWOPTER CHA HERE WE GOOO.

(This is already great 30 minutes in go go go)

Absalon on
  • Options
    I got it, but it looks like I played Chapter 1 in a different way, so I'm going to blitz through it quickly and then start Chapter 2 sometime tomorrow.

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Now's your chance to be a
    BIG SHOT

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    ok so what the fuck is deltarune really

is it an alternate universe or the future of the undertale timeline or what

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    tinauntinaun Registered User regular
    my favorite theory is that
    undertale is a game created by deltarune-asriel when he was in high school

• Options
    tinauntinaun Registered User regular
    also in homestuck "news" the ranged touch guys hs podcast is great

http://rangedtouch.com/2021/09/17/episode-1-part-3/

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Felt like Spamton was easier than Jevil to me, beat him on my first go. Still, fun fight.

I would've felt cleverer for guessing that Kris was the knight if I hadn't done so like, three minutes before the game confirmed it.

• Options
    ok so what the fuck is deltarune really

is it an alternate universe or the future of the undertale timeline or what

Until proven otherwise I'm treating it like the Legend of Zelda series: Same characters in different but similar setting.
    Queenie was an absolute delight of an antagonist

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Soundtrack went up yesterday as well.
    https://tobyfox.bandcamp.com/album/deltarune-chapter-2-ost

• Options
    Consistently running into a crash bug when turning in the item to fight the secret boss, ugh

• Options
    After playing the game for an unhealthy amount of time today (seriously, is it just me, or is chapter 2 longer than chapter 1? Not Undertale long, but longer.) I am almost done. I beat what I think is the final boss, realized I skipped the optional boss, then reloaded the save to beat the optional boss. I'm a bit burned out, so I'll probably rebeat the final boss and wrap it up in the morning.
    I agree that Spambot NEO wasn't as hard as Jevil, but then Jevil is no Sans. Both this time and my first playthrough, Jevil took two tries, and Spambot took the one, albeit in all cases at the cost of basically all my healing supplies. But whatever, they're cheap now. I appreciate the return of Mettaton mechanics.

Quick final boss question.
    It's fine to Fight her second form, right? This is an Asgore situation?

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Quick final boss question.
    It's fine to Fight her second form, right? This is an Asgore situation?
    Yep. There's no way to Mercy the robot so you gotta punch it out.
    rhylith wrote: »
    Consistently running into a crash bug when turning in the item to fight the secret boss, ugh

I got it too and assumed it was intentional at first.

Moth 13 on
  • Options
    Finished it!

Toby Fox's bullshit is still laser targeted at me. Excited for more in like 2 years.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    So is anyone else playing the Anagram game to imagine future products? Like, a later game could take place in a post-apocalyptic deser called Laterdune. Or characters could seek out painful revelations about their universe in a game called Ladentrue.

Edit: Okay, came up with another one! The characters are compelled to explore a mysterious forest in Nature Led.

EmperorSeth on
  • Options
    The third game will be Nude Alert. It is written.

• Options
    We will have to become a Nut Dealer.

• Options
    Oh shit, everyone, sorry. No adventures today. Kris has a Rental Due and has to get their ass to Redbox. Yes, the world needs saving and all, but Kris will be damned if they're going to spend another buck fifty on friggin' Space Jam 2.

• Options
    After beating the game and seeing the ending, I have a new anagram that perfectly works for this series.
    Leader nut.

So, theory time!
    First of all, holy crap! Seven planned chapters? That's way more than I was expecting. A lot of media had been saying just five. I suppose it makes some sense with all the expanded world building going on. But I wasn't expecting a fountain at Toriel's house so soon. I figured the core Undertale cast wouldn't get featured in the dark fountain worlds until the OCs like Noelle all had their chance.

So here's what I'm thinking this is. My first guess back in Chapter 1 was that this is an AU hypothetical world where humans and monsters never went to war and still lived on the surface together. But after Chapter 2, that feels less likely. Maybe it was BASED on that, but it's not a complete reality. I'm going with a more pocket dimension/Truman Show contained environment now. Besides the obvious Gaster influence, there's the thing Onion said about remembering a whole song opposed by the partial song that they remember.

So what's Kris? Hard to say. Originally, I thought that Kris is Chara who just was adopted and lived with the Dreemurrs from the start, and maybe that's still true, but I'm not sure. Kris isn't just a shell of a person. Based on what we know, they have a lot of desires and feelings outside of the actions we're doing in their body. They are obsessed with their brother, video games, playing the piano, etc. At this point, I think Kris is being "influenced" by somebody from outside their town to act as the Knight. That person ... is Flowey. I mean, look at the grin in the TV at the end. There's only one person in the UT franchise with that grin. Flowey means the Undertale Asriel, having reverted after the ending as he warned. Flowey wants to cause the Roaring, but that doesn't necessarily make him the villain! If his goal is to stop Gaster, maybe he has a good reason, given the sinister overtones of the enclosed environment.

So what happened to Deltarune's Asriel? Is he actually at college, or did he escape the environment and is now living as Ralsei? Or is Ralsei a Darkener created by, say, a sketch of Asriel created by one of his many fans? And here's a question that was avoided throughout Chapter 2: Who the hell is Dess/December? It's implied that she's Noelle's sister, and SOMETHING happened to her. But there's no grave for her. I'm thinking that, instead of dying, she was lost in the woods. And specifically lost in that Gaster bunker and will be seen in a future season.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    10 years ago today, we all collectively found out that Newgrounds was still a thing even in 2011.

That's right, it's the 10th anniversary of [ S] Cascade.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ... I've never felt older than this minute.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    you're older than you've ever been and now you're even older

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    ... I've never felt older than this minute.

Trust me, I felt exactly that when I realized this sometime last week.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Re: thread title

It does? You mean homestuck (the franchise) is over? It's finished? Really?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    10 years ago today, we all collectively found out that Newgrounds was still a thing even in 2011.

That's right, it's the 10th anniversary of [ S] Cascade.

ah jeez

• Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    I remember that I'd recently moved into a new student house with my mates but we hadn't got the internet sorted out yet so I had to watch it on a public computer in the local library and then open the homestuck thread for everyone's reactions. Good times.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Re: thread title

It does? You mean homestuck (the franchise) is over? It's finished? Really?

kinda seems like it yeah

Viz is doing a terrible job preserving the original Homestuck, it was bad before and got even worse after the death of Flash, and Homestuck 2 is supposedly still being worked on but will not be released until it's finished or something? AFAIK the game's dead in the water and they haven't put out another book in over a year, which might be due to covid or supply chain issues but it just as easily could be that they're quietly killing the book series

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    and at this point the unofficial archive is the only real way to go, with even Hussie themselves endorsing it

I feel like Viz buying Homestuck is analogous to Yahoo buying Tumblr: a total boondoggle born from entirely misunderstanding not only the culture, but the very structure of what they were purchasing

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    yeah like, the most exciting homestuck adjacent thing these days is the ranged touch podcast going through it and analyzing it really thoroughly, and so far one of the major takeaways of that has been "whoof people sure were a lot more tolerant of racist and ableist jokes a decade ago"

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Remember, the kids aren't white though :rotate:

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I'm really enjoying the Ranged Touch podcast as someone who was right at the sweet spot of being immersed in both the early forum culture half of MSPA, as well as the con and Tumblr half

• Options
    Supposedly act 3 and 4 of the game is still going on, and they even initially thought about doing a sequel, but who knows? I hope we get something. because Act 2 would be a shitty place to end it.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    They're probably busy suing Sarah Z

I ate an engineer