As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Play [SPELUNKY 2] With Us Every Day Until You Die | kill a mole with a rock

1383940414244»

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    I want to be very clear to everyone that the ending that josh got is very much an optional thing for diehard players who want a big challenge. I've heard some people complain before that it's shitty to expect everyone to go through all this nonsense to get the "true" ending, and it's just so silly. It's barely an ending at all, really. Don't force yourself to do it unless you really like the game and want the challenge.

Personally I at least wanted to see everything in the game, but actually completing it was too much for me. I'm still satisfied with what I got out of the game though, and who knows, I might give it another whirl at some point.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I don't even recognise the area at the start of that video :P

Most days I'm happy if I get to the tide pool

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Today I got to Tiamat for the first time, and I also beat Tiamat for the first time!
    The "throws my sticky bombs back at me" move was a surprise I wasn't expecting. Luckily I managed to get a few of them to stick long enough to weaken her. I actually managed to land the final blow on her with my whip while hanging from a rope, poisoned, with 3 health left (I had something like 10 health to start the fight, and once I was out of bombs I decided to just try to tank damage in order to get whip hits on her).

The most groan-worthy moment of the run:
    I had Vlad's Cape and Excalibur and floated gently down to the exit at the bottom of the ice caves. Just before taking the exit, I saw a dog that was easily rescuable, so I set the sword down by the exit to go get the dog...and managed to drop Excalibur onto a bounce plate that bounced it straight into the Abyss. Oops.

I only got this on Switch about a month ago, but I don't know that I'll spend too much more time with it; I can't imagine taking the time to try to go through the whole process to reach Cosmic Ocean.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Yeah to be clear the Cosmic Ocean is not something you should ever be trying to do in every run. The only reason I made it my mission was because I had conquered everything else in the game and I wanted to summit the mountain. Now that I’ve done it, I’ll be taking each run as it comes instead of trying to get to 7-99 every time. Maybe a Tiamat kill is enough, maybe I can do Hundun this time.

Plus the CO is a fucking huge time/stress investment. My actual time was around 2 hours 38 minutes, and that’s a lot of time to have to focus intensely on a game. And there were plenty of times I would make it to 7-77, 7-81, 7-88 and a curse cat would end my run, or my jetpack would explode, or the jellyfish would eat me. And then all that time just feels wasted.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I haven't even unlocked seeded runs yet, because I haven't unlocked enough characters.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Yesterday I've managed what finally feels like "completing" Spelunky 2.
    I've reached area 7 before, but I think I didn't even survive the first level back then. This time I got as far as 7-11 (heh). Got poisoned, then cursed... I don't know what I was thinking. Still, it feels great to finally make it this far! I don't think I'm planning to ever TRY for more. If it happens, cool.
    The game still feels great fun to play. Apart from a little bit too much chaos from time to time, it feels better than Spelunky 1 in every regard. Looking forward to playing even more :D

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Uhhhhh

UHHHHHHHHH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSaDGZuxRLM

Somebody just randomly discovered yesterday that you can get to Hell in Spelunky HD without ever picking up the Book of the Dead, which is normally required to get to Hell

It involves having Olmec crush a push block on top of the Hell entrance, which inexplicably also opens the door to Hell

This means that solo Eggplant -> Yama run is not confined to a clean save file for the helper, if you can do this door skip you can do a solo Eggplant run as long as you get an altar on a level with a present

You can also bring other items to Hell that you would never be able to before, such as a teleporter or plasma cannon

This game is over 10 years old now and people are still finding shit, I love it

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfgFmCSIvls

And now it's been done, the world's first low% solo eggplant run