As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo] early access has ended :(, and so shall this thread

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Drops are brutal in the game heh. Like the big D2 streamer finally finished his after, i want to say, year(s) of searching for just one item. And that one isnt even the rarest of the rare really. He had at least 2 of tyriels for example. I want to say 3 of them.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    they're a lot better now. high runes used to not exist

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    It’s collecting every single unique item

edit: apparently also every rune

That’s uh… quite a thing.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    also all set items

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    it all depends on that last 2-3 items item you're left with. if it's somthing you gotta farm from the cow king in normal it's not too bad. If it's a TC87 + Qlvl86 unique you're in for a rough time.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Drops are brutal in the game heh. Like the big D2 streamer finally finished his after, i want to say, year(s) of searching for just one item. And that one isnt even the rarest of the rare really. He had at least 2 of tyriels for example. I want to say 3 of them.

lol was that the dude with the marrowalks?

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    bwanie wrote: »

Nah that was Llamma with the Mang's Song.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Does anyone have time to help me out with a3/4/5 hell?

Glitchmo#11926

• Options
    edited November 2021

Yeah i seen that. What threw me off was "the not really rarest". I think it's the second most rare item (not counting zod runes). As it's a staff which have a bad droprate to start with, TC87 so only Area85 champs and uniques can spawn it AND it's Qlvl86 meaning most bosses can't drop it besides Nith and Baal. With only Tyreals might being harder because all Mlevel87 monsters can drop templars might with a 5 to 1 preference. And maybe there's a class specific item in tc87 thats on par/ beats it.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Yeah i seen that. What threw me off was "the not really rarest". I think it's the second most rare item (not counting zod runes). As it's a staff which have a bad droprate to start with, TC87 so only Area85 champs and uniques can spawn it AND it's Qlvl86 meaning most bosses can't drop it besides Nith and Baal. With only Tyreals might being harder because all Mlevel87 monsters can drop templars might with a 5 to 1 preference. And maybe there's a class specific item in tc87 thats on par/ beats it.

Oh yeah you are right. My bad. It is behind Deaths and Tyriels. He still did get 2-3 of the rarest item in the game heh.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    heh i think it took 3-4 years for his first tyraels as well.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    btw i need a good baal killer for 2p runs. My amazon can walk us through the WS and the throne room + minions. But Baal is an issue for me. Too much magic dmg resistance and bullshit spawns.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Boy. Playing through D2 has reminded me how atrocious the D3 plot is.

Diablo 3 will always amuse me for two reasons:

1) Is Azrael being a tactical genius who tells you everything he is about to do so you can go stop him before it works. As a bonus, he also looks like a kitty while he's taunting you.

2) Diablo and DEM HIPS. Also for bonus points that sassy sashay they do while walking right into Heaven after breaking the gates.

The plot of Diablo 3 is just so god awful. Thankfully with adventure mode you never need to engage with it ever again.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Yeah it's....aggressively bad. I was shocked to see that Chris Metzen was the lead story guy for D2 back in the day -- everything he did WoW and beyond is just aggressively "bad anime" in the worst ways possible. I guess he knew what he was doing once, long agooooo.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    "Aegeri wrote:

2) Diablo and DEM HIPS.

Not my proudest fap...

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    "Aegeri wrote:

2) Diablo and DEM HIPS.

Not my proudest fap...

Look when you're THIS fabulous how can you not do a sexy sashay into Heaven?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Oh just to put in perspective. The first d2R holy grail has been clocked at 485 hours.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Three characters decending upon Nightmare. Got an awesome mace for my Paladin too earlier today too called Aldur's Rythhm.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    I found a +3 pheonix strike elite claw.. except there are no runewords worth putting in it

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Yeah it's....aggressively bad. I was shocked to see that Chris Metzen was the lead story guy for D2 back in the day -- everything he did WoW and beyond is just aggressively "bad anime" in the worst ways possible. I guess he knew what he was doing once, long agooooo.

I mean, the D2 plot has problems, too. The way to rescue Cain is to find a scroll growing on a magical tree, and translate the runes to know which order you need to touch the Cairn stones to open a portal to Tristram. But how does Akara know that Cain is alive, let alone this ancient magical method of teleporting specifically there? And why did the demons keep Cain alive when they killed everyone else?

Acts 2 and 3 are 90% fetching magical Maguffins to open a door, act 4 has basically no story and two out of four town NPCs with no dialogue at all.

Diablo 3 is much, much worse, but much of that is probably the degree to which they make you experience the story, rather than confining it to skippable dialogue and a handful of cinematics.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Yeah but the plot isn’t really what you’re doing, it’s what happened to Marius and the Dark Wanderer. Hell, one might argue that the protagonists are actually Diablo, Mephisto, and Baal.

Is there hand wavy shit? Sure. Happens all the time. Happens in some of the best stories ever told.

That’s not what makes or breaks a story. D3’s plot is awful because it tried to tell us about everything that didn’t matter and nobody wanted, and then married it to a terrible script that all but ignored the first two games.

The story of D2 is told in 6 incredible cutscenes. Then it’s just gameplay and atmosphere.

D1 and D2 are perfect lessons in “less is more.”

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Blizzard North was only really Blizzard by ownership really, acquired right before D1 release. They stayed largely independent from what I remember of Breviks stories over the years. They also had a bigger deal to be purchased by 3DO from what I remember so Diablo could have never been Blizzard heh. To believe David it was Vivendi that caused most of the issues about the downfall of a Blizzard North developed Diablo 3. And i would be more inclined to believe him. He is just a uber RPG programmer nerd. And still is if you watch when his wife streams as he is pretty much always there drunk on scotch being David.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I love D2r Dressup doll.

Given that my amazon will be wearing my crown of ages, i had a hard time finding the right armor to go with the slightly salmon and gold...

But then i tried on an ornate plate and just look at it. <3 I'll gladly eat the run speed penalty for looking this glorious:

Screenshot089.png

edit: it's 440 (450 is max) 4 os as well so just need my Lo rune.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Tarantio wrote: »
    Fiatil wrote: »

I mean, the D2 plot has problems, too. The way to rescue Cain is to find a scroll growing on a magical tree, and translate the runes to know which order you need to touch the Cairn stones to open a portal to Tristram. But how does Akara know that Cain is alive, let alone this ancient magical method of teleporting specifically there? And why did the demons keep Cain alive when they killed everyone else?

Acts 2 and 3 are 90% fetching magical Maguffins to open a door, act 4 has basically no story and two out of four town NPCs with no dialogue at all.

Diablo 3 is much, much worse, but much of that is probably the degree to which they make you experience the story, rather than confining it to skippable dialogue and a handful of cinematics.

Oh totally, but that stuff is in a different stratosphere to me. I'm not saying every plot beat in d2 is some logically coherent masterpiece at all. It's just tonally so so much better; it's a dark minimalistic story told largely as a personal tale focused on Marius, though obviously with grand cosmic consequences of everything that's going on. You're just there for the ride -- you follow in the footsteps and clean up all of the big messes from "the story" more or less.

Contrast that to 5 hours of recorded dialog specifically designed to make sure to tell you YOU ARE THE MOST SPECIAL CHOSEN ONE NEPHALEM DESTINED TO SAVE EVERYONE in so many different ways, and mega ultimate merged soul stone high heels Diablo.....THAT is the bad anime I'm talking about.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    The story of D2 is told in 6 incredible cutscenes. Then it’s just gameplay and atmosphere.

Marius' story is good. The expansion cinematics kind of aren't. Nothing much happens in them, and what expansion plot there is, actually comes to us from the NPCs.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    comparing the stories of D2 and D3 just makes me mad. The D2 cinematics had this amazingly creepy and ominous tone, and the gameplay managed to not step on that even when you were killing giant bugs or crowds of goofy little fetish-dudes. Diablo himself has one single line in the entire game and it's a fucking grand slam. "Not even death can save you from me." Still gives me chills.

Then D3 manages to stomp all over whatever ominous mood the art style and environments manage to conjure up by having every goddamn boss and mini-boss yammer on and on about how powerful they are and how pathetic you are blah blah blah. It's like everything the first Incredibles movie was mocking villains for "monologuing," except the hero isn't even tied up while they do it, the hero is actively slaughtering their army single-handed. The cinematics had a few moments that could have been cool and ominous (Diablo reveal and fighting Imperius) but the game manages to wreck it; Imperius isn't dead, it's just a flesh wound! And Diablo has been droning at you for hours and you really want to kill them just so they'll shut up.

The best boss in D3 was the Skeleton King because IIRC he didn't say a goddamn word before he tried to kill you.

• Options
    oh I found another facet

another fucking 3/3 facet. at least it's cold this time

• Options
    edited November 2021
    I love D2r Dressup doll.

Given that my amazon will be wearing my crown of ages, i had a hard time finding the right armor to go with the slightly salmon and gold...

But then i tried on an ornate plate and just look at it. <3 I'll gladly eat the run speed penalty for looking this glorious:

Screenshot089.png

edit: it's 440 (450 is max) 4 os as well so just need my Lo rune.

Meanwhile my dude looks like a big purple clown, and that’s basically your fault.

Edit: I just realized I quoted the wrong thing.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    UrsusUrsus Registered User regular
    It sucks when the RNG catches up to you. A few days of good drops then nothing last night or during the 4 hour pointless meeting today.

Bleh

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Ok I need 3 ber runes now, that should be easy right?

Wait no its 4 because Infinity is stupid and need two.

• Options
    @GoodKingJayIII

But an efficient purple clown tho!

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Got myself a zon torch today, with average rolls. I'll take it! It's the first I can actually put to good use for the +skills. My ubers runs are getting a little safer and faster, so that feels good. What doesn't feel good is going 30+ runs between countess key drops =/

More grinding to go!

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Guys Dclone is being spawned tonight. (=/- 5 hours from now)

im in the discord....follow the link below this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3Rjz09DhD4

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    The ip blocking guide is also veery good. I just use online TCP view to check the game's bnet connection after blocking the other two servers on EU. It works.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Oh nice. Ill have to respec my pali to smiter heh.

• Options
    i wonder if you can still shenk him....

(spawn at eldritch kite to shenk's plateu, kill shenk. allmonsters in that area die, including Dclone)

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Oh I dunno I always just killed him in the church in act1.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Boy. Playing through D2 has reminded me how atrocious the D3 plot is.

Playing through D3 has reminded me how atrocious the D3 plot is. It is definitely not its strong suit. It is WOW (mmo) level in quality. Like the stuff with Leah through Act 2 is fan fiction tier.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    The Black Friday sale has started and because I'm a valued customer, I can upgrade my Diablo package for the same low, low price as if I haden't bought D3 at all :)
    410rspl41p4t.png

steam_sig.png