As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mario Kart Wii in Famitsu this week - scans, info

bruinbruin Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Games and Technology
I'm sure we already have a thread on this game but there's no search function right now.

There's a new Mario Kart Wii preview in Famitsu this week, translation and stuff from GAF
Mario Kart Wii - April 10th, 2008 (Japan)
* Bikes in cup mode
* Bikes have special actions like “wheelie”
* 16 remakes and new courses
* Wi-fi 12 players
* Play as Miis

Mario Kart courses.

NEW:
“Mushroom Cup”
Luigi Circuit
Moo Moo Country
Mushroom Canyon
Toad Factory

“Flower Cup”
Mario Circuit - Figure-8 with underpass
Coconuts Mall
DK Snowboard Cross
Wario Mines

OLD:
“Shell Cup”
GC Peach Beach
DS Yoshi Falls
SFC Ghost Swamp 2
64 Mario Circuit

“Banana Cup”
64 Sherbert Land
GBA Hey Ho Beach
DS Monty Town
GC Waluigi Stadium

Scans
http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/94381_mario_kart_wii_f1001a_122_954lo.jpg
http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/94387_mario_kart_wii_f1001b_122_867lo.jpg
http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/94389_mario_kart_wii_f1001c_122_1048lo.jpg

Japanese release two months from now makes Spring in the US seem more likely. That is, assuming it doesn't get delayed.

bruin on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bah. Images are blocked here, but yeah... I can't wait. Anyone know if this supports the GCN controller? I know you can use it like Excite Truck, but it's so hard to get people to play that game because they're afraid of "looking stupid" while playing games like that.

If it supported the GCN controller, I can bet a lot more people would be willing to try it in my circle of friends (doom).

urahonky on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I loves me some Mario Kart, but something about this game just has me completely disinterested.

Maybe because it looks exactly the same as DD with motorbikes and one man karts.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I always forget how few tracks Mario Kart games actually have, and it always throws me for a loop whenever I see someone post the track total for one.

Lars on
  • Options
    GallantRoweGallantRowe Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What is the reason they keep having low polycounts for the drivers in each MK game? I know the Wii can handle better. Maybe I'm just bitching and the models are fine. D:

GallantRowe on
  • Options
    TingleTingle __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Only 8 new tracks? They get lazier and lazier every game.

Tingle on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yoshi on a motorcycle = bought.

Zek on
  • Options
    MJMJ Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wifi looks to make this the definitive version of the bunch next to the DS version but every mario kart seems to replace awesome tracks with less awesome tracks. Is that a Bob the Builder like stage in the 3rd pic? I hope there are more stages like the Airship one in DS and the N64 courses, and they ALL better be availible in online mode...

Also Miis are getting in on the action? Finally! It's sad that they have been reduced to save menu faces and friend code IDs. It looks like now is the time they can tell Mario what they think about this by sending a turtle shell up his exhaust pipe. :twisted:

I predict with the new control methods there will be lots of dislocated shoulders from people trying to snake. :)

MJ on
    mino_mirror_punch2_sig.gif
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm not sure I like the idea of the bikes in the game

I do like Mii's in the game though :D

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Tingle wrote: »

It's probably like the DS version where you have 8 new and 8 old tracks to start, then you unlock the other half of the tracks.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Sigh... those tracks were only ones revealed in Famitsu. You can't seriously except that Mario Kart game doesn't have Star and Special Cup. Common sense ahoy. :)

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I feel that they are making the tracks too easy. Once you get bluesparking down the actual driving part of Double Dash is almost trivial on most tracks. MK64 is a better game.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    GallantRoweGallantRowe Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I hope Waluigi pinball is in here, if only for the music. :)

You guys think they'll have a stage that looks like a Wii? I'm almost betting on it.

GallantRowe on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    I feel that they are making the tracks too easy. Once you get bluesparking down the actual driving part of Double Dash is almost trivial on most tracks. MK64 is a better game.
    I just want them to bring back the challenging older tracks, not the glorified Nascar ovals they seem to think make "classic" tracks.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    elkatas wrote: »

Sigh... those tracks were only ones revealed in Famitsu. You can't seriously except that Mario Kart game doesn't have Star and Special Cup. Common sense ahoy. :)

Holy shit no kidding. Have you never played a new Mario Kart game? Especially after the near perfection of the DS version, they will not be skimping on this one.

It looks like the stats will be geared toward the vehicles you choose, instead of the driver, like they started leaning toward on the DS. Otherwaise, you can't expect a bike to beat a formula one car, can you? I guess it's The Mushroom Kingdom, so anything goes, but that seems a little silly. Even for Mario Kart.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2008
    Any details on the new steering wheel?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    I swear to God, Nintendo, this game better have Baby Park.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm getting pretty sick of the new game = new accessory to stick the Wiimote into trend that the Wii is having. But, I do love me some Mario Kart so maybe I'll pick up the wheel anyways.

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sleep wrote: »

I swear to God, Nintendo, this game better not have Baby Park. :)

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited February 2008

No.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    Warder45Warder45 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Joystiq is reporting 32 courses, 16 new and 16 old.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/06/mario-kart-wii-to-sport-32-courses-mid-air-tricks-and-mii-integ/

I'm interested in the battle mode courses. MK64's were great, MKDD's we were bored with in 30min.

Warder45 on
  • Options
    vdanhalenvvdanhalenv Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I love Mario Kart, and I gotta say this one looks pretty promising despite my previous bad experiences with Mario Kart DS and online play.

not sure what to think of the idea of bikes though.

vdanhalenv on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mace1370 wrote: »
    I'm getting pretty sick of the new game = new accessory to stick the Wiimote into trend that the Wii is having. But, I do love me some Mario Kart so maybe I'll pick up the wheel anyways.

I'm pretty sure it comes with the Wheel, so you'll have no choice. :P

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    vdanhalenvvdanhalenv Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pata wrote: »

Also from what i have heard it is supposed to be self contained and operate independently of the Wiimote

vdanhalenv on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Yes.

Fixed.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mario Kart + Motorcycles = Awesome

This is a day one purchase, definitely. Can't wait for that official Wii Wheel.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Warder45 wrote: »
    Joystiq is reporting 32 courses, 16 new and 16 old.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/06/mario-kart-wii-to-sport-32-courses-mid-air-tricks-and-mii-integ/

I'm interested in the battle mode courses. MK64's were great, MKDD's we were bored with in 30min.

Clearly you didn't battle in Luigi's mansion. Holy shit, I played that for hours when my friends were over.

urahonky on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    They should take a hint from Smash Bros. and throw in a stage builder.

I'm still not sold on the wheel though. Not only are your arms going to get tired holding it up in dead space, but the natural lack of a neutral position to snap back to is going to make it pretty hard to drive in a straight line.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    vdanhalenv wrote: »
    Pata wrote: »

Also from what i have heard it is supposed to be self contained and operate independently of the Wiimote

I guess that's a little better... maybe. Still, what about multiplayer? Can I play it without the wheel and use my wiimotes? I don't want to have to buy 3 wheels just so my friends can play too.

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I'm still not sold on the wheel though. Not only are your arms going to get tired holding it up in dead space, but the natural lack of a neutral position to snap back to is going to make it pretty hard to drive in a straight line.

I don't know, Excite Truck was pretty damn fun. Mario Kart usually requires more precision, though. I think I'm just going to wait until I play it to pass judgment.

Food on
  • Options
    Canada is 1337Canada is 1337 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

A battle-mode stage builder would complete my life.

Barring that, more than 6 stages would be great.

Canada is 1337 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Food wrote: »

I don't know, Excite Truck was pretty damn fun. Mario Kart usually requires more precision, though. I think I'm just going to wait until I play it to pass judgment.

That's what I was thinking. I loved Excite Truck, but it really doesn't seem like something I'd want in my Mario Kart. I'm a little anxious and kind of dreading playing this for the first time in case the wheel isn't what I want it to be. I really hope they allow you to use an analog stick to steer, whether it's nunchuk, classic controller, or GC controller.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    elkatas wrote: »

I swear to God, Nintendo, this game better not have Baby Park. :)

:-P

It was THE map to go to to settle grudge matches between me and my friends.

Sheep on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It had better be faster than DD.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Only 16 tracks and half of them aren't even new?

That can't be right.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Only 16 tracks and half of them aren't even new?

That can't be right.

It's not.

16 new tracks, 16 returning.

Which reminds me, I still need to pick up Mario Kart DS. It's still fun even if you have no desire to get on Wifi against snaking bastards, right? I just heard the awesome rendition of Waluigi Pinball in Smash Bros. Brawl, and now I'm curious.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Bah. Images are blocked here, but yeah... I can't wait. Anyone know if this supports the GCN controller? I know you can use it like Excite Truck, but it's so hard to get people to play that game because they're afraid of "looking stupid" while playing games like that.

If it supported the GCN controller, I can bet a lot more people would be willing to try it in my circle of friends (doom).

This scan, second image over, third down. The globe surrounded by Miis. That's a green A button.

bruin on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    bruin wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

This scan, second image over, third down. The globe surrounded by Miis. That's a green A button.

Nice catch! Me happy!

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega

• Options
    CraveonCraveon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    This game looks great and I would love to like Mario Kart but I'm just so bad at it that it prevents me from liking it. I think it's the thing when you go through around a corner and your wheels leave behing this orange or blue (don't really remember) glow or something that makes you go faster, is what you really need to master to be good at this game right? Are there any ways to become better at it? I'm really good at Diddy Kong Racing and love that game to death, but Mario Kart for some reason never clicked for me. I should join a support group or something.

Craveon on
    elegyofemptiness.jpg
  • Options
    RedShellRedShell Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm kinda hoping against analog/nunchuck/classic control schemes. If it works with the Wii wheel (especially with power sliding/sparks) I don't really want to play against people using something else.

And before people jump in and say: something superior? Something that lets me snake with the greatest of ease?

Yes, that. I don't want them to let you do that. Plus, I just hope the wheel is so fun that the game is fundamentally built around it (I liked Excite truck, wished there was an online multi for it).

RedShell on
    Homing In Imperfectly?
    Pokemans D/P: 1289 4685 0522