As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The cooperation and unity line has been brought out so often here in germany, too. Meanwhile antivaxxers and neonazis are picketing the homes of politicians, attacking journalists, literally planning assault and murder on telegram.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    So this talk of vitamins has me curious: is it possible to OD on shelf vitamins? Like if you just devoured the bottle what would that do to you?

Edit: The YouTube thumbnail is kind of graphic so putting in spoiler TL;DW: You would have a bad time.

Getting an excess of most metabolic chemicals will hurt you real bad in some way or another. Even something like aspirin can really fuck you up. How could something as mild as aspirin be a problem? Well, take enough of it and the process of metabolizing it drains your body's ability to handle single oxygen molecules floating around the body. For anybody not in the know, reactive oxygen is REALLY FUCKING BAD and your body is very very aggressive at shutting it down instantly. Too much aspirin exhausts this mechanism in your body, leaving reactive single oxygen atoms to run rampant and really fuck up your biology in amazing, terrible, and unpredictable ways.

Basically, don't exceed dietary limits on any kind of chemical that goes into your body. We have mechanisms to handle a certain amount of excess, but modern chemistry makes it easy to massively exceed those limits, sometimes with gruesome results. So don't screw around.

• Options
    Also fun: new German health minister did an inventory of available vaccines and it turns out that Germany (and his predecessor) has not ordered enough vaccines for the next quarter for the booster campaign. Again. Just like at the start of the vaccination campaign.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Also fun: new German health minister did an inventory of available vaccines and it turns out that Germany (and his predecessor) has not ordered enough vaccines for the next quarter for the booster campaign. Again. Just like at the start of the vaccination campaign.
    Which vaccines though? Because where I am not a single person has had a problem getting a booster. Unless its a BionTech only problem which *shrug* just get one of the others.

• Options
    Which vaccines though? Because where I am not a single person has had a problem getting a booster. Unless its a BionTech only problem which *shrug* just get one of the others.

Right now there are deliveries still coming as far as I know but there aren't enough to complete the booster campaign in the next quarter. That's all info that's out now.

For the current situation you're right. I had no problem finding a short notice appointment for a moderna booster.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Omikron numbers seem to be beating all but the wildest predictions.
    It may be the dominant strain in many places by somewhere next week. Just before Christmas.

I really, really hope that the 'on average milder' reports hold true because otherwise this may look like March 2020 by New Year.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    I also hope the current "news" that it's more dangerous small children/babies don't hold up.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    Glad to see that Pfizer's therapy is a dual-agent once-daily pill, rather than Merck's single-agent pill. Merck is just begging for mutations and resistance with that strategy, and honestly it's a supremely bad idea.

The difficulties of antivirals to treat respiratory viral infections persist, but this latest data is extremely heartening, regardless.

Edit: Additional good news, if Pfizer's therapy holds up: They're already licensing it out to generic manufacturers across the world. That could mean an extremely big bump in manufacturing. That might be factored into their 80 million number, but I think that 80 million actually represents Pfizer's production capacity alone. That'd mean good things for getting it out there.

I don’t think it actually is a dual agent pill. The ritanovir is just there to inhibit CYPs (reduce metabolism) of their drug.

Crap - I thought they were using the ritonavir to target a mechanism of action in the virus itself, but it looks like you're right. It's just a boosting agent.

If that's the case, I give this drug 6-8 months of efficacy, tops, before resistant strains evolve and render it useless.

Maybe? Certainly possible, but I think that’s overly pessimistic.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    So this talk of vitamins has me curious: is it possible to OD on shelf vitamins? Like if you just devoured the bottle what would that do to you?

Edit: The YouTube thumbnail is kind of graphic so putting in spoiler TL;DW: You would have a bad time.

Getting an excess of most metabolic chemicals will hurt you real bad in some way or another. Even something like aspirin can really fuck you up. How could something as mild as aspirin be a problem? Well, take enough of it and the process of metabolizing it drains your body's ability to handle single oxygen molecules floating around the body. For anybody not in the know, reactive oxygen is REALLY FUCKING BAD and your body is very very aggressive at shutting it down instantly. Too much aspirin exhausts this mechanism in your body, leaving reactive single oxygen atoms to run rampant and really fuck up your biology in amazing, terrible, and unpredictable ways.

Basically, don't exceed dietary limits on any kind of chemical that goes into your body. We have mechanisms to handle a certain amount of excess, but modern chemistry makes it easy to massively exceed those limits, sometimes with gruesome results. So don't screw around.

It's true that excess aspirin is bad for you, but this post gets a few important things very very wrong about the way that works. Aspirin overdose (and salicylate overdose in general) is dangerous because it creates an enormous disruption in your body's acid-base balance, not because it makes you exquisitely sensitive to oxygen or reactive oxygen species. The reasons for this are interesting physiologically but aren't really on topic in a coronavirus thread, I'm only popping in because of the misinformation here.

• Options
    Acetaminophen depletes reducing capacity, not aspirin iirc.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Infections are rising. Deaths are a lagging indicator. But deaths in SA are still currently lagging behind Delta in the same time frame. By a rather significant margin.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    If we compare time frame and waves the timing is about right for this to be a "last" wave we saw in the 1918 flu epidemic that is both more infectious and less virulent. So far evidence is pointing that way.

So here's hoping it's the last hurrah before it becomes endemic, just like the 1918 flu.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    And to be clear. I am not saying not be careful and not get boosted if available etc. Be careful and take care of your own as it is not to be messed with just also be careful with what you read and to digest it along with all info. Yes it can be less severe and still be a major problem. But being less severe can also bide us time while the pfizer pill moves forward which by early accounts will help in the fight a significant way.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    The cooperation and unity line has been brought out so often here in germany, too. Meanwhile antivaxxers and neonazis are picketing the homes of politicians, attacking journalists, literally planning assault and murder on telegram.

Oh and Germany ALSO has people getting busted with fake vaccination cards, like everywhere else.

• Options
    Pfizer pill is likely to be (and should be) restricted to high risk factor groups.

If we only have one antiviral we need to be very careful with resistance. I wouldn’t count on widespread availability, production aside.

• Options
    VishNub wrote: »
    Pfizer pill is likely to be (and should be) restricted to high risk factor groups.

If we only have one antiviral we need to be very careful with resistance. I wouldn’t count on widespread availability, production aside.

Agreed. High risk group account for almost all of the severe outcomes as well though.

• Options
    Has there been a study to correlate disease severity with the incidence or severity of long term symptoms/consequences?

It follows logically that that would be true, but that doesn’t always pan out in medicine.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    My work has pretty much shifted to "We're back to normal!" mode, with the exception of still being allowed to work the majority of the week at home, which is nice. But we have a mandatory off-site trip in August with 2,000 people from around the country and I'm absolutely dreading it. Masks "encouraged" but no social distancing, nothing else.

On a semi-related note, my wife's work is doing the same thing and had their holiday party last Friday. She really wanted to go, and was pressured to attend by colleagues, but opted not to because our son is too young to be vaccinated. Proof of vax was required to go.

...annnnyways her office is closed for the year now as multiple people who attended the party now have tested positive.

So yeah, this is going to get worse. Hopefully not as deadly, but definitely worse.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    mxmarks wrote: »
    My work has pretty much shifted to "We're back to normal!" mode, with the exception of still being allowed to work the majority of the week at home, which is nice. But we have a mandatory off-site trip in August with 2,000 people from around the country and I'm absolutely dreading it. Masks "encouraged" but no social distancing, nothing else.

On a semi-related note, my wife's work is doing the same thing and had their holiday party last Friday. She really wanted to go, and was pressured to attend by colleagues, but opted not to because our son is too young to be vaccinated. Proof of vax was required to go.

...annnnyways her office is closed for the year now as multiple people who attended the party now have tested positive.

So yeah, this is going to get worse. Hopefully not as deadly, but definitely worse.

And we have an in-person mixer next week. At this point everyone still in the org is going to be vaxed, but this still seems like a poor idea given Omicron exploding. And right before the holidays too.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Infections are rising. Deaths are a lagging indicator. But deaths in SA are still currently lagging behind Delta in the same time frame. By a rather significant margin.

Delta was very fast moving. Omicron, from what I've read is more closely related to the earlier variants which (from what I remember of the before times) were in the 1-2 weeks for symptoms and 2-3 weeks before things got real. I'm going to give it another few weeks before I consider unclenching.

daveNYC on
    Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    daveNYC wrote: »

Delta was very fast moving. Omicron, from what I've read is more closely related to the earlier variants which (from what I remember of the before times) were in the 1-2 weeks for symptoms and 2-3 weeks before things got real. I'm going to give it another few weeks before I consider unclenching.

Agreed. We do need more data.

Some references to my statements as well. The count remaining low has been in many places but here is a "Professor of Vaccinology" from SA who notes it.

Also this is interesting to which I found in search for references. Which could be primary cause of the lower virulence. Note: it doesnt mean the virus doesnt replicate in the lungs but does so at a significantly reduced rate compared to all prior strains. tweet is from Clinician Scientist • Infectious Diseases / Virology

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    The lungs is where it kills you. So this could be a variant good for the virus (more transmission) and good for humans (less dead humans.)

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Well, hopefully.

I mean, if it’s (simple math to make my point), twice as infectious but half as deadly, wouldn’t we likely end up in a ballpark of ‘fewer dead people based on infections, but basically the same overall number of fatalities?”

With the caveat that of course life doesn’t work like this perfectly spherical frictionless cow take.

If nothing else, even if it’s less dangerous to an average individual, if it’s more easily transmitted that would presumably increase the odds of vulnerable people catching it (through a chance encounter or it making its way into clusters of vulnerable people, such as long term care facilities for the elderly).

I’m just spitballing here. As always I’ll wait for the actual scientists to weigh in with proper studies.

I’m just reflexively wary of “more transmissible but less deadly”, even if that has been an expected path for some time now (and not an unheard of experience with other diseases).

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Well, hopefully.

I mean, if it’s (simple math to make my point), twice as infectious but half as deadly, wouldn’t we likely end up in a ballpark of ‘fewer dead people based on infections, but basically the same overall number of fatalities?”

With the caveat that of course life doesn’t work like this perfectly spherical frictionless cow take.

If nothing else, even if it’s less dangerous to an average individual, if it’s more easily transmitted that would presumably increase the odds of vulnerable people catching it (through a chance encounter or it making its way into clusters of vulnerable people, such as long term care facilities for the elderly).

I’m just spitballing here. As always I’ll wait for the actual scientists to weigh in with proper studies.

I’m just reflexively wary of “more transmissible but less deadly”, even if that has been an expected path for some time now (and not an unheard of experience with other diseases).

There's also degrees of severity that come into play. Twice as infectious, half as deadly, but the same percentage of hospitalizations as one of the earlier variants is still a recipe for cratering the health care system. Not to mention any potential long covid from this that we won't know anything about until another month has passed.

Plus this thing is named Omicron, which is the exact sort of name the hack writers who have been in control of our reality since at least 2020 would come up with as the thing that causes zombies or something.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Finally got my vaccine record tied in on my phone through my state DoH. Hello,QR code life.

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    Finally got my vaccine record tied in on my phone through my state DoH. Hello,QR code life.

It's the best. I don't even know where my damn vaccine card is at this point.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I also have an app for mine. My vaccination card is locked up in my fire proof safe right now lol

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    However I don't think there's a single place near me that requires a vaccine.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I dipped my toe into Reddit for a bit on the subject of COVID-19 and got a lot of flak, but I noticed a pattern in some of the knee-jerk responses which shows the magnitude of the messaging problem with conservatives (at least, always-online Redditor conservatives):
    1) "How can you say my (snake oil salesman) source is anti-vax? He and his children have had the vaccine. This makes no sense!" - Yes. It does not make logical sense. You are correct. But you can have the vaccine and still spread vaccine misinformation and anti-vaccine beliefs. Nearly all Republican politicians are vaccinated, and the ones that are anti-vax still spread misinformation. "But that makes no sense" - You are SO close. SO close. It's a grift.
    2) "There are THOUSANDS of studies backing up (snake oil salesman)'s claims!" - Have you vetted those sources? Because a lot of those sources are either retracted papers/studies or a circle-jerk of conservative anti-vax people (many of whom are not actually scientists or are "naturopaths"/"wellness" folks).
    3) "But (snake oil salesman) said this on such and such podcast, and that seemed reasonable." - But they also said on Twitter that the vaccine was a depopulation measure and a method of population control, attributing it to the sign of the beast. Now, we all have bad days on Twitter, but the Internet is forever, and unless they have qualified their recent statements with "I was wrong, and I'm sorry. This what I believe now...", you have to engage with the fact that this person will lie to get on whatever show to spout their beliefs, saying contradictory things based on their audience, or you have to engage with their prior work peddling ivermectin or whatever.
    4) "The mainstream media isn't reporting all of the side-effects of the vaccine." - I don't know what mainstream media you've been reading, but all of the major outlets have had articles about the men who've had the myocarditis or the women who've had issues.
    5) "VAERS..." - I'm gonna stop you right there. VAERS reporting only reports when any issue has occurred in a vaccinated individual, regardless of the cause. It's not a database that is used to determine whether or not any vaccine has caused said effect. This is basic knowledge that is stated on VAERS.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Well, hopefully.

Plus this thing is named Omicron, which is the exact sort of name the hack writers who have been in control of our reality since at least 2020 would come up with as the thing that causes zombies or something.

Did they really think this "naming variants after Greek letters" thing, because Greek letters are always used as a shorthand for danger in fiction.

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Well, hopefully.

Did they really think this "naming variants after Greek letters" thing, because Greek letters are always used as a shorthand for danger in fiction.

It gets drilled into you in school when you have to toss out random identifiers. When I was tearing out some baseboard and wanted to put it all back in the same place, I started in a corner and labelled the joints alpha, beta, gamma, delta... its like naming computer systems after the Greek pantheon.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I dipped my toe into Reddit for a bit on the subject of COVID-19 and got a lot of flak, but I noticed a pattern in some of the knee-jerk responses which shows the magnitude of the messaging problem with conservatives (at least, always-online Redditor conservatives):
    1) "How can you say my (snake oil salesman) source is anti-vax? He and his children have had the vaccine. This makes no sense!" - Yes. It does not make logical sense. You are correct. But you can have the vaccine and still spread vaccine misinformation and anti-vaccine beliefs. Nearly all Republican politicians are vaccinated, and the ones that are anti-vax still spread misinformation. "But that makes no sense" - You are SO close. SO close. It's a grift.

This is a particulary strong point. In Peru, every cynical grifter that is all about "freedom of choice" had the vaccine ASAP. Up to the point that there was a scandal because the rich and the politicians got Sinopharm jabs before they were available to the general public, and everybody that could do it took trips to the US to get Pfizier/Moderna jabs as quick as they could.

Of course, there's also the true believers, a significant amount of them evangelicals. But from the top? Is all craven posturing all the way down.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    Well, hopefully.

It gets drilled into you in school when you have to toss out random identifiers. When I was tearing out some baseboard and wanted to put it all back in the same place, I started in a corner and labelled the joints alpha, beta, gamma, delta... its like naming computer systems after the Greek pantheon.

My girlfriend's bird is named Delta (more for the operator than anything) but getting him moved across international borders this fall was a fun exercise in "NEVER SAY THE BIRD'S ACTUAL NAME"

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    The lungs is where it kills you. So this could be a variant good for the virus (more transmission) and good for humans (less dead humans.)

From further down that thread:

For those asking whether this is good/bad news, simple answer: I don't know. While omicron may infect the lung cells less efficiently, a higher viral load may worsen immune response. We discussed the pathogenesis w/
    KindrachukJason KrutikaKuppalli.

Also, reminder that blood clotting and neurological issues are also caused by the virus in some cases.

Edit: Also, just compared to Delta SARS-CoV-2, this is a tremendous increase in viral load. This means people are more infectious, more rapidly, with Omicron compared to other variants we've been seeing. And reminder that infectious =/= symptomatic. It's a grim picture, if I'm being honest, but it's also lining up with the data as it emerges.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular

Yeah, in new york state some local county politicians are using that same line to avoid enforcing the mask mandate, calling for unity and cooperation. Why does unity mean giving in to idiots? Why does cooperation mean risking my health because morons?

• Options
    edited December 2021

From further down that thread:

snip
    For those asking whether this is good/bad news, simple answer: I don't know. While omicron may infect the lung cells less efficiently, a higher viral load may worsen immune response. We discussed the pathogenesis w/
    KindrachukJason KrutikaKuppalli.

Also, reminder that blood clotting and neurological issues are also caused by the virus in some cases.

Edit: Also, just compared to Delta SARS-CoV-2, this is a tremendous increase in viral load. This means people are more infectious, more rapidly, with Omicron compared to other variants we've been seeing. And reminder that infectious =/= symptomatic. It's a grim picture, if I'm being honest, but it's also lining up with the data as it emerges.

Also I think there is a general misconception about "mild" going around online. Mild doesnt really mean slight sniffle go to work symptoms. It all really depends on how much we break into hospitalizations. Which data still shows as here and there.

Edit:

LadyJubs just messaged me she is done with her booster so we are fully boosted in our house.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »

Yeah, in new york state some local county politicians are using that same line to avoid enforcing the mask mandate, calling for unity and cooperation. Why does unity mean giving in to idiots? Why does cooperation mean risking my health because morons?

Let's all come together and give up, because that asshole is throwing a tantrum again.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular

Yeah, this is the main stat / finding I am looking and waiting for. How lethal is Omicron versus its predecessors. Probably have to wait a bit, sadly, for that.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Also I think there is a general misconception about "mild" going around online. Mild doesnt really mean slight sniffle go to work symptoms. It all really depends on how much we break into hospitalizations. Which data still shows as here and there.

Which is extra frustrating because it’s a lightly nuanced discussion we had over a year ago.

“Mild”, by the standards of use in relation to this disease, is (and correct me if I’m wrong here) defined as “hasn’t/didn’t put you in the hospital”. It can still be plenty awful, but your body manages to handle it without professional medical intervention.

This came up ages ago in a distant previous edition of this very thread chain.

And of course, a given person’s case may well be a variety of “mild” until abruptly it isn’t.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Taco bell has ruined America's conception of 'mild'

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!