As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Another airbed, or futon, or what?

DrezDrez Registered User regular
For the last few years I've been sleeping on an airbed. They don't last terribly long, but they are cheap, so whatever.

I'm planning on moving at the July and I don't really want to move a bed with me since that's only 8 months away. My current airbed is somewhat misshapen so I need to replace it.

I'm considering a futon. I've had one before and it was cool. They are still heavy as fuck so moving it won't be fun but I dunno.

I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions as temporary bedding. Maybe there's another option I'm not considering that is still better than an air mattress but won't break the bank. 8 months isn't a terribly long time but it's still 8 months.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Camping pad can work. I'd personally probably get a twin/full mattress at a discount furniture store that sells stuff with defects, then get a cheap metal frame from Amazon if you don't want to be on the floor. I don't mind being on the floor so I'd probably just use the mattress by itself.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Are you planning to hire movers? If you are, generally, they can handle the weight of a bed or a futon no problem, it just might have to be disassembled and put back together, something else they will generally do for you.

If you are planning to hire movers, I would personally not base the choice on the weight of the object. You'll tell the company what you have and they'll send out a crew the appropriate size for the job. We have a big heavy futon and they got it broken down, down a three story walk up, and into the new place along with the rest of our shit in under 4 hours.

I know some people find air mattresses comfortable, but I would consider an investment into a bed a health consideration, as better sleep can have huge cascading affects on your life and mood. If budget and space and such are also factors, that makes sense!

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    I got a nice hammock with a stand that could easily work indoors and is comfy for napping at least. I haven't tried it as a primary method of sleeping, but I don't see why it wouldn't work better than an air mattress. I don't remember the price off hand though. I wanna say between $100-$200 though it might have been a bit lower honestly. Probably get some good discounts given the time of year too.

• Options
    Iruka wrote: »
    Are you planning to hire movers? If you are, generally, they can handle the weight of a bed or a futon no problem, it just might have to be disassembled and put back together, something else they will generally do for you.

If you are planning to hire movers, I would personally not base the choice on the weight of the object. You'll tell the company what you have and they'll send out a crew the appropriate size for the job. We have a big heavy futon and they got it broken down, down a three story walk up, and into the new place along with the rest of our shit in under 4 hours.

I know some people find air mattresses comfortable, but I would consider an investment into a bed a health consideration, as better sleep can have huge cascading affects on your life and mood. If budget and space and such are also factors, that makes sense!

Good question, I didn't mention this part. I'm actually potentially planning to move into another unit in the same building. Possibly. I won't know that until closer to my move out date but considering that's a very real possibility, I may not need to hire movers and so I'd like to avoid buying a full bed/bed frame.

Honestly, I'm thinking the best option is to just buy a few more air beds ad hoc until I move. But I dunno. I thought maybe I'm missing another option I haven't thought of.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Camping pad can work. I'd personally probably get a twin/full mattress at a discount furniture store that sells stuff with defects, then get a cheap metal frame from Amazon if you don't want to be on the floor. I don't mind being on the floor so I'd probably just use the mattress by itself.

I thought of something like that, but I do want to be off the floor. Actually, I have a Yogibo Bean Bag but I'm trying to be careful with my back and even though its supposed to be good for your back I think it messed it up once.

I also have a sofa chair that reclines and I used that to sleep when my back was bothering me earlier this year but it broke. It's not designed for daily sleeping. I bought a new one of the same brand but I'm keeping that just for sitting. It's comfy though.

edit: I currently am battling a pest problem (roaches) and while I expect that to be over very soon, until that's solved I want to be off the floor. Even though I think those things can teleport.

Drez on
  • Options
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    I got a nice hammock with a stand that could easily work indoors and is comfy for napping at least. I haven't tried it as a primary method of sleeping, but I don't see why it wouldn't work better than an air mattress. I don't remember the price off hand though. I wanna say between $100-$200 though it might have been a bit lower honestly. Probably get some good discounts given the time of year too.

Interesting. Was it from Amazon or something? Any chance you'd feel comfortable sharing the link?

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    You also might want to look into a Swedish cot. They're often collapsible and the few that I've slept in have been fairly comfortable for at least short term arrangements.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

Good question, I didn't mention this part. I'm actually potentially planning to move into another unit in the same building. Possibly. I won't know that until closer to my move out date but considering that's a very real possibility, I may not need to hire movers and so I'd like to avoid buying a full bed/bed frame.

Honestly, I'm thinking the best option is to just buy a few more air beds ad hoc until I move. But I dunno. I thought maybe I'm missing another option I haven't thought of.

I'm guessing that means no movers then.
    Are you planning on moving your stuff on your own, getting some buddies to help?
    A twin mattress and a metal frame isn't going to be any heavier or more difficult to move than a reclining sofa chair. And there is a ton of difference between an air mattress and an actual mattress when it comes to sleep, in my experience.

• Options
    Artereis wrote: »
    You also might want to look into a Swedish cot. They're often collapsible and the few that I've slept in have been fairly comfortable for at least short term arrangements.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

• Options
    Since movers charge by the hour, it might still be economical to get them for an inbuilding move if you have large pieces of furniture. There's not a threshold where the move is too small to be worth it to them, they will likely still be able to send laborers to do this work. Unless you are in your early 20s with friends who will still work for beer, I cant recommend investing in movers enough.

I would... also advise against moving into a unit in the same building if they are unable to handle roach problems quickly? Speaking as someone who had a roach nightmare in our last place, once we got professionals through, we actually got rid of them pretty quick.

Do you have an IKEA near you?

• Options
    edited December 2021
    see317 wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »

I'm guessing that means no movers then.
    Are you planning on moving your stuff on your own, getting some buddies to help?
    A twin mattress and a metal frame isn't going to be any heavier or more difficult to move than a reclining sofa chair. And there is a ton of difference between an air mattress and an actual mattress when it comes to sleep, in my experience.

I appreciate that - I'm just not really interested in a good bed in this unit. Most likely I'll be going Queen when I get my good/real bed and I am actually considering something expensive and therapeutic which I just cannot work into my budget right now. I also just don't want to bring a good bed in here - I've lived here for seven years now but it started as a sublet and eventually I did a lease takeover, but I've never felt totally comfortable or clean here, even after multiple deep cleans. I want a new location and my first purchase is going to be an an amazing bed. This place has always felt like an interim step, I just stayed here much longer with roommates than I intended.

I'm going to try and manage the move myself, if possible.

Just looking for a good interim solution. I may remake this thread about a real bed come July/August next year!

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Since movers charge by the hour, it might still be economical to get them for an inbuilding move if you have large pieces of furniture. There's not a threshold where the move is too small to be worth it to them, they will likely still be able to send laborers to do this work. Unless you are in your early 20s with friends who will still work for beer, I cant recommend investing in movers enough.

I would... also advise against moving into a unit in the same building if they are unable to handle roach problems quickly? Speaking as someone who had a roach nightmare in our last place, once we got professionals through, we actually got rid of them pretty quick.

Do you have an IKEA near you?

Well, there's one 4.1 miles away. But it's in Brooklyn and I'm in Jersey and I don't have a car so I dunno. Basically no, I guess. :/

I'm basically a "I try to buy everything within walking distance" kinda guy.

edit: I get your point about the roaches. It's one of the things I need to consider when I move.

Drez on
  • Options
    Much of what's driving this is psychological. Some of you may remember the ordeal I had with that other roommate a few years ago. The state of his room and bathroom was so disgusting, a cleaner didn't even want $300 to clean it. Smallest bathroom ever, too. I can never unsee it. There's not enough brain bleach in the world to cleanse my mind, no matter how many times the bathroom's been cleaned. I just need to gtfo this unit into a smaller, properly sized one for myself and then I can fill it with proper things like a proper bed and everything.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    The absolute cheapest way to do this would probably still be IKEA, if you can rent a truck with a zip car, or a have a friend with a hatchback, IKEA is the bang for your buck in terms of ok furniture that you probably wont mind letting go in 6 months or repurposing it.

This is the cheapest bed You can probably get your hands on: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/morgedal-foam-mattress-firm-dark-gray-70277392/
    and the cheapest frame: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/grimsbu-bed-frame-white-luroey-s29437807/

I looked around for a good deal on twin XL, and while I could probably get it to skate in just under $1000 with everything needing to get delivered to you, You'd probably be better off putting the cash towards the investment bed. Your options to get off the floor are a bit more limited on the super cheap. I personally toss to much to want to be swinging in a hammock, but thats just me.

If I were in your shoes, and Ikea was not an option, I would probably get this frame and this XL Twin while it was still on sale, and call the 800 an investment in good sleep. If you like the mattress enough you can take it with you and get a Day bed frame to keep using it.

Iruka on
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    IKEA delivers, not sure about beds but I had them deliver a table to NYC. I have a sleep number bed, which is basically a very fancy air mattress meaning you can deflate it when you move. They're not cheap, but I've had mine for 10+ years and it's still great. Also, I haven't experienced any wearing in. Again, probably because it's an air mattress I guess.

• Options
    Thanks all for the advice. I have a lot to think about.

When I made this thread, I was really looking at something in the very inexpensive range - a queen-sized airbed is around 70-100 bucks based on past experience - but I'm thinking about what you guys are saying. I'm actually thinking about this now: https://www.nectarsleep.com/mattress/twin?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=p_13914503666_133456228068_533928570224&utm_content=cpc_generic&gclid=CjwKCAiAhreNBhAYEiwAFGGKPN4leVQCft3wdzngFlfMuO1iUfJ5fBybNOTBct3LKdsUFU2F_l9BxBoC3-gQAvD_BwE#7

Any thoughts on Nectar? I've seen them advertised before. This is on sale for the next 3 hours. It does look nice.

Another issue I have to be concerned with though is shipping weight. My building has rules about accepting packages over 40 lbs: Basically, they won't. Usually, you can schedule something with the front desk to just have them call you for oversized or overweight packages, but it looks like they may just reject packages over 40 lbs outright this season due to package volume expectation around the holidays.

Everything's so complicated, lol.

• Options
    LOL sorry I missed your fourth link, @Iruka, which was a link to the Nectar mattress I found too. Unless I'm drunk and your link is how I found it in the first place.

Unfortunately, I probably have to pass on the sale which ends in less than 3 hours :/. The bed is 71 lbs and I have to talk to the head front desk guy as it's likely he'll be here when it gets delivered and its up to him as to how to handle it. Usually, they will accommodate me, but I don't know if he has any latitude this season because ultimately building management makes the rules. Hmm.

I could order it and talk to him tomorrow and maybe cancel it if he doesn't think it's possible, though.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Actually, I guess I can go talk to the front desk guy that's here now and at least get his thoughts about the new dictum the building emailed out about packages. I'll see if he has any insight. The Nectar mattress does look really nice.

• Options
    Am I losing my mind? There's no way this is a Twin XL right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27uKsfOlf-o

• Options
    Well, I ordered a new bed. You guys convinced me. I ended up getting the Nectar Full and Foundation. I saved a little over $600, apparently. And I was able to split the payments up over 6 months with no interest. This feels right. Thanks for helping me and convincing me and all the advice on this. I'm excited!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Getting a decent bed is, like, the SSD of life upgrades. Good on yah.

• Options
    I actually had an SSD installed in my person too.

• Options
    I see you got the bed so I am super late with this, but thought I would share it anyways because hammocks are awesome. I definitely think a bed is your best bet overall, but if you want a mostly portable hammock then you cannot beat this thing in my experience. It is super easy to break down and set-up, and comes with a carrying case that is reasonably sized.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AXN35WY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Options
    I see you got the bed so I am super late with this, but thought I would share it anyways because hammocks are awesome. I definitely think a bed is your best bet overall, but if you want a mostly portable hammock then you cannot beat this thing in my experience. It is super easy to break down and set-up, and comes with a carrying case that is reasonably sized.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AXN35WY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you, and no worries.

• Options
    So what are your thoughts on a weighted blanket?

Nectar also sells one and they are also on sale right now. The large (80"x80") ones are out of stock, but the 48"x72" might be good. I think it'd be $109 (it's $159 with $50 off).

The advertisements intrigue me. I do occasionally have trouble sleeping so maybe that would help?

I dunno, thoughts?

• Options
    asurasur Registered User regular
    Highly recommend. I thought they were dumb and didn't want to try one, but now that I did I love mine. I bought a couple different ones of Amazon and settled on https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07C18T8DH?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title. They have different sizes and weight. I got 60x80, but I think 48 would have been fine for a single person. Length is obviously dependent on height and at 6'4" the 80" is barely long enough.

• Options
    Weighted blankets are amazing. They really make the world seem like a better place. They are built to reduce anxiety so make falling asleep way easier. It is a whole biology trick that I can't fully remember the details of but was fascinating to read.

• Options
    asur wrote: »
    Highly recommend. I thought they were dumb and didn't want to try one, but now that I did I love mine. I bought a couple different ones of Amazon and settled on https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07C18T8DH?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title. They have different sizes and weight. I got 60x80, but I think 48 would have been fine for a single person. Length is obviously dependent on height and at 6'4" the 80" is barely long enough.

I am worried about that. I mean I don't pull blankets over my head but at 5'11.75" (nearly 6 feet exactly), 72" is slightly concerning.

But then again I went with a Full bed which is only 75" long so whatever, I guess.

But also I know the blankets get scrunched up so, hmm.

I guess I don't have to get the Nectar one. Thanks for the recommendation! Sadly that one is sold out. Also it's recommended for King or Queen, I guess because of the 80".

• Options
    Weighted blankets are amazing. They really make the world seem like a better place. They are built to reduce anxiety so make falling asleep way easier. It is a whole biology trick that I can't fully remember the details of but was fascinating to read.

Awesome, thanks. I'd love to read that if you have any idea how I can find that article, but don't worry about it really. I'm just curious now too.

• Options
    The mattress just came! But no frame/foundation yet so I will leave the mattress in the box until that comes.

I'm slightly worried about the foundation. It says: Status: Est. Ship Dec 09 - Dec 13

I just hope it gets here before I go away for a few days for the holidays, on the 24th. The foundation shipping weight is apparently 77 lbs and my building won't accept anything over 40 lbs at the front desk, so I have to be here. I just hope nothing delays the order.

The pillows and everything have already shipped.

• Options
    Dang it. There's a brand called AN that sells these and it's very affordable but various people are giving 1-star reviews saying the glass beads can bleed through and have cut them somewhat.

I'm looking at Luxome now. But I'm wondering if 18 lbs is heavy enough for me.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I always assumed weighted blankets are like hotel beds where the covers are tucked in and then you have to spend half a hour trying to untuck them so you can actually get into the bed

So I just assumed they aren't for me. I think my down comforter is too heavy most nights.

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I'm just gonna chime in to say that I have a Nectar mattress that I bought a few years ago and I love it. Moving a mattress shouldn't be that hard, especially if you can find a friend to help out. Couches are the things that suck to move, not mattresses.

• Options
    I donno if you already bought covers already, but I recommend buying full sized sheet sets, but queen sized comforters and blankets.

A well made comfoter can last a long time, but you may upgrade to a queen at some point, and the extra inches will make a difference.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    I donno if you already bought covers already, but I recommend buying full sized sheet sets, but queen sized comforters and blankets.

A well made comfoter can last a long time, but you may upgrade to a queen at some point, and the extra inches will make a difference.

Unfortunately the larger weighted blankets have been out of stock so I just went with the full, 20 lbs, since the sale was ending. Should be good enough for now.

Also, the foundation finally arrived! I’m vacuuming and then I am setting it up now! Goodbye, airbed.

edit: The weighted blanket did not arrive yet so for now I will be washing and using my my existing comforter, which is Queen-sized.

Drez on
  • Options
    Oh my god

I finally got it all set up and this is amazing

I’m glad I took your advice, everyone

I feel like I’m being hugged by God

• Options
    I’m confused. I need somebody to teach me beds now.

For instances, you can sit on the foot of a bed without it flipping over? Also, why when I dismount from side of my bed is it not trying to capsize like my airbed did.

I no longer fear for my life while entering or existing my bed and I’m not sure I’m comfortable with that.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    The sudden rush of adrenaline does give life a little bit of spice, yeah.

You could try taking up a more dangerous hobby, like bear training or extreme sneezing.