Options

2022 State of the Union

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    State of the Union: Its not great!

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Yeah whole lot of half way decent words here. I’d be Ecstatic if we could do even half of it, but we can’t do anything because of half the chamber he’s currently addressing.

My version of this speech is reframing everything as anti-Russia. Dare them to stop the Fuck Putin Energy Act. The Hardening American Infrastructure Against Russia Act. The Anti-Autocracy Protect Democracy Act.

This would have been a good speech/tactic.

"Russia is acting like a global terrorist because they dropped taxes on their wealthy; we reject that."

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Yeah whole lot of half way decent words here. I’d be Ecstatic if we could do even half of it, but we can’t do anything because of half the chamber he’s currently addressing.

My version of this speech is reframing everything as anti-Russia. Dare them to stop the Fuck Putin Energy Act. The Hardening American Infrastructure Against Russia Act. The Anti-Autocracy Protect Democracy Act.

Gdi I was just thinking framing everything as 'fuck Putin' was the best political softball ever.

You want to support Putin by opposing insulin price decreases? At least use it come on Dems.

• Options
    State of the Union: Its not great!

But better than if Trump was here now to be sure!

I mean man the past year or week with Trump in office. Dodged a fucking bullet Earth.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Not going to watch the Republican response, so here's a likely summary:

v162wqc41ehw.png

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Not going to watch the Republican response, so here's a likely summary:

v162wqc41ehw.png

Putin's a bit busy tonight so who's his stand in for the GOP?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Official GOP: Kim Reynolds
    No Labels Dumbshits: Gottenheimer and some other fucking moron
    Klan response: Marjorie Taylor Greene
    Lefty response: Rashida Tlaib

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Honestly I’m absolutely gonna watch this republican response. I haven’t stared into the abyss for a while, I’ll give it a look tonight.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular

Wait the woman's less than a week removed from attending a fucking nazi convention and they're letting her do her own response to the SOTU?

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »

Wait the woman's less than a week removed from attending a fucking nazi convention and they're letting her do her own response to the SOTU?

They don't let her do anything, she just does it and McCarthy smiles

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Just let Tuberville and Gohmert respond.

God it would be an amazing black hole of stupidity and wouldn't matter anyway.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    1. I’m not sure that’s not a joke and
    2. The Dems couldn’t really tell Tlaib to not give a response for the Working Families Party

/shrug

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    2. The Dems couldn’t really tell Tlaib to not give a response for the Working Families Party

/shrug

They're talking about Greene not Tlaib.

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

/shrug

They're talking about Greene not Tlaib.

Yeah, I know, I was pointing out that anyone can give a response regardless of what the GOP or Dems want

• Options
    edited March 2022
    on the republican response

Man that was some repetitive shit. Beating the same republican drums. Lots of total lies. Really wish the Biden and democrats she’s talking about actually existed, that would be dope. The interesting thing is the real goal of the speech. Governorships.

Sleep on
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    on the republican response

Man that was some repetitive shit. Beating the same republican drums. Lots of total lies. Really wish the Biden and democrats she’s talking about actually existed, that would be dope. The interesting thing is the real goal of the speech. Governorships.

Wait, the Republicans identified their opponents as villains and attacked them while the old ass Democrats pretended an entirely different Republican Party exists that they are buddy buddy with?

Are you allowed to do that?

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    She literally just gave Every Republican Speech(tm) from the last 18 months without any changes whatsoever.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I honestly don't get why people pay attention to the State of the Union or any 'responses.'

It's the most empty ass political theater there is in the US. Like, I can't think of any political act that has less meaning than the State of the Union address.

• Options
    Gundi wrote: »
    I honestly don't get why people pay attention to the State of the Union or any 'responses.'

It's the most empty ass political theater there is in the US. Like, I can't think of any political act that has less meaning than the State of the Union address.

I wish Biden got up there and used the pulpit to take the very controversial at the moment 'fuck Putin' position. Focus on that.

And then just hammer on the GOP for their Putin support and taking his money and on and on.

I don't even care. You got a freebie stay on the topic the entire world mostly right now is angry about and yell at them.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Gundi wrote: »

It’s a good fence post to check what narratives are looking to be. Especially in an election year it’s where you can start building a unified message for the campaigns.

Joe Biden just gish galloped through a bunch of dope shit he’d love to do that everyone knows he can’t. The republicans gave the same tired talking points as usual with an express focus on state level politics. We should uh make sure we get some democratic governors.

Sleep on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Hi, I'm President Biden. You know those things I campaigned on? Well, I ain't done shit about any of em, and I'm still President. So what you gonna do? Now Imagine Trump as President with all the shit his buddy is up to in Ukraine. mic drop

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »

Wait, what?

I'm angry that I have to ask this but.. which one?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    AFPAC

Basically like CPAC except -openly- white nationalist instead of trying to obfuscate it with language games.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    AFPAC

Basically like CPAC except -openly- white nationalist instead of trying to obfuscate it with language games.

It was created and still is hosted by Nicholas Fuentes, explicitly to give a space for white supremacists like him. Other speakers include the leader of the Proud Boys, and Milo Yiannopoulos. So, yeah. Literal unabashed Nazis.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    If you want to induce an aneurysm in yourself, read the New York Times fact check on the SOTU.

The fact check where they only checked like three statements, and decided to ding him points for saying that the economy added more jobs than every before because the president isn't solely responsible for the economy.

Which is what they revised it to after getting dragged on Twitter for dinging him for using a statistic that only started being measured in 1939. Who knows how many jobs might have been added in 1880 after all!

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    If you want to induce an aneurysm in yourself, read the New York Times fact check on the SOTU.

The fact check where they only checked like three statements, and decided to ding him points for saying that the economy added more jobs than every before because the president isn't solely responsible for the economy.

Which is what they revised it to after getting dragged on Twitter for dinging him for using a statistic that only started being measured in 1939. Who knows how many jobs might have been added in 1880 after all!

Y'know, sometimes I wish the NYT was actually in the Dems corner.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    The American media apparatus needs to be burnt to the ground and rebuilt from scratch.

sarukun on
  • Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    AFPAC

It was created and still is hosted by Nicholas Fuentes, explicitly to give a space for white supremacists like him. Other speakers include the leader of the Proud Boys, and Milo Yiannopoulos. So, yeah. Literal unabashed Nazis.

If you're unfamiliar with him he's openly pro-segregation and Holocaust denying and an admirer of Hitler. So not even like, wow that Republican sure sounds like a Nazi, but just a Nazi.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Honestly watching this last night just made me realize that Joe Biden really is just that out of touch. Which isn't really a huge surprise I suppose.

"Fund the police!" Yeah no fuck off Joe.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Honestly watching this last night just made me realize that Joe Biden really is just that out of touch. Which isn't really a huge surprise I suppose.

"Fund the police!" Yeah no fuck off Joe.

That position is quite literally the opposite of being out of touch. It's being smack in the middle of the median voter

nkt968bar27w.png

c0knxfy2fa22.png

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/10/26/growing-share-of-americans-say-they-want-more-spending-on-police-in-their-area/

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Yeah trace that’s wrong, about a month ago the DNC (or DCCC?) put out a basically red alert that “defund the police” was a real killer in the polls for Ds in contested districts, and although the hit to approval ratings could be mitigated by counter messaging (ie actually I support funding the police!) the R attack still has a net negative effect

It’s not great but that’s where we are politically and also it’s where Biden was when he won the primary and the general. It’s where most of the country is.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    To the extent that saying "fund the police" is a strategic mistake (not saying anything about policy), it is one because it completely kills enthusiasm on the left flank of the Democratic party to make a limited appeal to the mythical moderate who wants to like Dem ideas but keeps falling for Republican talking points about scary antifa soldiers or whatever. I'm not sure that's an effective trade.

E: Like, the long term risk is that you completely kill the enthusiasm of a bunch of grassroots organizers and activists who could have been committed for a long time. Even then, I doubt this is a "lib-dems promising not to do something, immediately allying with the Tories to do that" level mistake.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    milski wrote: »
    To the extent that saying "fund the police" is a strategic mistake (not saying anything about policy), it is one because it completely kills enthusiasm on the left flank of the Democratic party to make a limited appeal to the mythical moderate who wants to like Dem ideas but keeps falling for Republican talking points about scary antifa soldiers or whatever. I'm not sure that's an effective trade.

E: Like, the long term risk is that you completely kill the enthusiasm of a bunch of grassroots organizers and activists who could have been committed for a long time. Even then, I doubt this is a "lib-dems promising not to do something, immediately allying with the Tories to do that" level mistake.

The left is certainly going to remember this. It wasn't something he actually had to say out loud but hey maybe -this time- he'll get some republican votes.

edit: because that's who he's gotta be pandering to saying this. There's no other group that actually gave a shit about the defund the police phrase other than cops or 'tough on crime' people

Trace on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

The left is certainly going to remember this. It wasn't something he actually had to say out loud but hey maybe -this time- he'll get some republican votes.

edit: because that's who he's gotta be pandering to saying this. There's no other group that actually gave a shit about the defund the police phrase other than cops or 'tough on crime' people

That's demonstrably not true. There does appear to be a contingent of people for whom "defund the police" is an extremely effective attack who are not hardcore Republicans or "tough on crime" people. Whether it's worth explicitly undercutting your own left flank to try to convince those people is another question, but this really is a policy plank that's viewed negatively by both Republicans and moderate Democrats, not just Republicans and shy Republicans.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

"Defund the Police" loses the support and votes of actual Democrats and Democratic constituencies. Even if the tradeoff between left and center you are proposing happens, he still is gaining votes by saying it. Support for Defund the Police tops off in the teens.

• Options
    Suburban white women have bought the copaganda completely and are convinced it’s the 70s again out there

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    the fact that any discussion you have about defunding the police with someone who doesn't already agree with you always has to start with explaining what you actually mean and assuring them it doesn't mean what they think it means should be a pretty good indication why it's a losing proposition at the polls

given the SOTU is primarily a pep rally it's understandable why Biden would want to cast a wide net

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Suburban white women have bought the copaganda completely and are convinced it’s the 70s again out there

According to that data, a minority of blacks want police funding decreased.

Yeah there's a clear racial tilt but this is still a losing position among all demographics.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    that being said, as someone who didn't watch and was hoping to get a Cliff's Notes version this morning, it seems the only thing anyone is talking about is the two Nazi ladies making stupid faces about something in a photo

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options

According to that data, a minority of blacks want police funding decreased.

Yeah there's a clear racial tilt but this is still a losing position among all demographics.

Well yeah, I’m just talking about the dumb and loud social media/community hub hub from pro choice moms about how you can’t go to Target in Centennial CO or New Albany OH anymore, which is insane bullshit and makes me desperately root for The Meteor