As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where is random comic?

Am I blind or what, I cant find random comic anymore. I read PA by clicking random comic until I find a good one and then I read a couple comics from that point...

• Options
    NitraxNitrax Registered User new member
    Also, preferred format (portrait/landscape) does no seem to be saved. Ilike landscape. Very much.
    Also also, the site is very very slow.
    Also alsoalso, the ad ”pop over” before you can even see one comic strip is super annoying.

• Options
    threapthreap Registered User regular
    This. A thousand times this. Clicking the "random comic" link on the old, sadly missed site layout was a joy - never knowing what date one would be teleported back to.
    The "random panel mix" is NOT the same at all. It's just a morass of non-sequiturs, and it reminds me of those flip-books for children that are divided into 3 horizontal sections and you flip the pages to give the characters in the book random hats/torso/shoes. Entertaining for about 20 seconds and then "meh".
    Maybe I'm just an old crusty stuck-in-the-mud.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    We were having a bit of fun with the new randomize comic button in the SE webcomic thread, but the jump to random comic button would be nice to have still.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2022
    the random comic button is on the archive page
    https://www.penny-arcade.com/archive
    https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/random

it would be nice if the button was just on the page with every strip though to just keep clicking it

zerzhul on
  • Options
    ProtectedProtected Registered User regular
    Without spending too much time testing it, I think the Feeling Nostalgic box is supposed to contain a random comic each time so you can jump from random comic to random comic with a preview. But sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't (and you get a link back to the same comic you're already viewing that y ou accessed using that box).

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    the random comic button is on the archive page
    (apparently I can't requote your links because I'm just a forum noob, curses)
    it would be nice if the button was just on the page with every strip though to just keep clicking it

Thanks Zerzhul. That's a workaround for now, though not ideal, because every time I go to /comic/random the URL gets replaced with whichever comic it loaded, meaning that I have to keep pasting the /random URL into the browser.
    Where was I before I started that run-on sentence? Ah yes.
    For what it's worth, the majority of the webcomics I like (SMBC, XKCD, and PA until 3 days ago...) have a Random link above each strip. It's a fun and easy way to re-discover old strips. Alas, Oglaf and PBF don't...

• Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    Huzzah, there is now a Random Comic button under every strip. Thank you, technomancer overlords!

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    One of the fun things about upgrading your site is that you learn how people have been using the old site this whole time. I didn't work directly on the new site aside from troubleshooting, but I had no idea how many people used the random comic button until it suddenly became hard to find.

• Options
    Huzzah indeed, I am glad to see the Random button back!
    Now, because I'm That Guy On The Internet, and obviously, nothing will be good enough for me unless it's my exact specific requirements, and everyone working on this site should clearly devote their entire efforts to making sure I'm satisfied... I do have one small quibble still. On strips that have Tycho's text musings, the Random Comic link is on the right side. On strips - mostly older ones - that have no accompanying text, the link is on the left. Any chance of making it consistent?

• Options
    I forgot to say "thank you" in my 2:37pm response. Where are my manners? "Thank you" to the team for bringing back the Random button.