As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GOG.com | AI are creating hyper-detailed HD Kilrathi hair

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Oooh that looks good. I should buy it. Checks GoG. Oh, I already bought it. Great!

Love it when that happens :lol:

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Wonder how close we are to getting Star Trek Borg...

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Give us Star Trek: The Next Generation - A Final Unity you cowards! Beat up someone at Atari to make it happen.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    they already have the best ST games ever,
    25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    cj iwakura wrote: »

It does run in Windows 10, but the installer doesn't work in Windows 10. Install it in a VM and copy the game directory to Windows 10.

I have ST Klingon too, but I misplaced it. They are dirt cheap. I may just buy another one.

Borg actually does a funny thing if you wait too long to make a decision.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

It does run in Windows 10, but the installer doesn't work in Windows 10. Install it in a VM and copy the game directory to Windows 10.

I have ST Klingon too, but I misplaced it. They are dirt cheap. I may just buy another one.

Borg actually does a funny thing if you wait too long to make a decision.

Really? I never was able to get it running for the life of me.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Allot of games have old installers that don't work in Windows 10.

PCem is a PC emulator that works great for old games. It runs fine in fullscreen. VMs have a problem with that. Not certain on how legal it is.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    What I don't like about Final Unity is that you can screw up away missions. It may be best to use a walkthrough on that one.

• Options
    That was the best part of it! You could fuck shit up and keep going, like a real mission.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    It was kind of annoying because the game would let you be oblivious to what was really going on.
    Is there like a limit on how many missions you can screw up? I got that impression.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    I played a little of A Final Unity. It actually seems different from what I played before. I must have played another game.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    There is also this game:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation_(1994_video_game)

Somehow, I missed this gem.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Though they praised the sound effects and attention to detail with Star Trek lore ("Even Star Trek's previously undecipherable galaxy classification and navigation systems are now understandable - and useful"), they argued that the game failed to capture the spirit of the show, particularly in that it does not offer players the option to negotiate for peace with their adversaries.

Diplomacy is half the point of Star Trek. :mad:

• Options
    edited December 2021
    SNES STNG
    https://youtu.be/-lrCKis-bFM

For some reason, I remembered A Final Unity differently. Weird. It remember the space combat being messed up because I was running Dosbox set to a Pentium processer. You need to run the game on a 486.
    It is funny how the graphics in the game are kind of janky. They needed to get a better pixel artist. The cgi in the video is also pretty awful.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    he looks like he's got some big time old man stubble going on

• Options
    Hidden Evil kind of reminds me of Nocturne. Similar kind of game engine. Now, I wonder where I put Nocturne.
    https://youtu.be/rFP-nUySkNU

• Options
    edited December 2021
    I found Nocturne. It is pretty old. A Direct X 6 game.
    https://youtu.be/4vSQYS_xRtE

Krathoon on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I wanted to play Nocturne because it looked like a fine Resident Evil clone but it's not available on gog or steam.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I wanted to play Nocturne because it looked like a fine Resident Evil clone but it's not available on gog or steam.

It ends on a cliffhanger that never gets resolved if I remember right. It looks like I have to run it in PCem. It is an old Win98 game.

Oh yeah. Nocturne has all kinds of problems in modern windows.
    https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Nocturne

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Hrrrmm. I found a site where you can download a bunch of old games for free. It has Nocturne on there. I guess it is seen as abandonware.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    I think I got that Ripper game somewhere. That is also not on gog.

Anyone know of some cool dos games that are not on gog?

Krathoon on
  • Options
    From my favourites, Ecstatica, Halloween Harry, One Must Fall 2097, any of the Castle of Dr Brain games, Zeliard...

GoG also keeps an official wishlist, it's how they track what to prioritise (though some of the titles there are already available on other storefronts, guess people just want a DRM-free version).

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games

• Options
    Interesting how that list defaults to "most voted this week". Switching to "most voted ever" reveals the truth I suspected... MechWarrior & MechCommander series are right near the top of the list, behind only Diablo (which, you know, good luck).

• Options
    I mean, Diablo 1 is on GoG.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I played a lot of Mechcommander (surprising no one), especially once I learned the spawns and could meticulously abuse the minelayer. <3

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Glal wrote: »
    I mean, Diablo 1 is on GoG.

The more you know! To be fair, the entry on the list says 1, 2, 3, and expansions (and soundtracks, and art)...

• Options
    Oh, yeah. I got the Ecstaticas on disc.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Is there a way to give away a GOG key I got in a bundle but do not want?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    As long as it's a key you have to put in manually I don't see why not, you should be able to redeem it on any account.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Wanderlust: Travel Stories (some kind of modern day realist VN in the Ukraine Humble Bundle)

crap, what's the tag for key giveaway? [ codes ]

Edit: there's an unanswered thread over in the bug forum saying that method doesn't work anymore. If the above game interests you, PM me and I'll pm back the key, I guess? First come first serve.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Never heard of this game. Added to my wishlist. I think I have heard of the book though.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Never heard of this game. Added to my wishlist. I think I have heard of the book though.

It's a very long-running high fantasy series by Robert Jordan, who sadly passed away before completing it. He did leave behind enough of an outline/draft for the estate to have another writer (Brandon Sanderson) finish the story, though.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Not really one of my favourite Legend games, all of their non-adventure games felt like they were a bit out of their depth, however I did find the one-off (?) strategic portion interesting, I assume it was to serve as an in-game introduction to the multiplayer? It was novel seeing proto tower defense stuff in a 1999 game.

Also, the books are trash and I am willing to die on this hill.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Not really one of my favourite Legend games, all of their non-adventure games felt like they were a bit out of their depth

Let me just click that agree button

....okay, let me just go ahead and click it again

• Options
    I don't know why Robert Jordan bothered with a story when his passion clearly lay in spending pages and pages describing cities, even if he'd already described them in a previous book. Just write the book about how much you want to have sex with cities already you coward!

• Options
    edited April 2022

I wouldn't know, I've never read them. They're very popular, but I've definitely seen more than a few people who disliked them or found them overrated.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    His world building is top notch. If that's not your thing, I can certainly see why he would bother you. Hell, I was a huge fan of the books until I put them down for a long time right around book 10 because it felt like nothing was really happening. I read them all again last year and was surprised I initially felt that way, but it's different when you're waiting a year or 2 between books. He was hugely inspired by Tolkien and it showed.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    The typical arc of a Wheel of Time reader is reading the first book and thinking it's GREAT, reading the next two and thinking they're QUITE GOOD, and then reading some more and at some point wondering where all these other characters came from and why nothing seems to be happening. And then you get to the book which is like 1100 pages and takes place over a single day but touches on every single character, and you start to wonder if you're going insane, and then you look at the full list and now there's 14 of the damn things.

I've read up through book 11, back before he died and Sanderson took over, and at some point soon I plan on reading through the whole thing and then maybe being done with it forever.

In actual gog news, I got an email offer to pick up the Planescape Torment remaster for 3 bucks, so I had to jump on that. Also picked up a bunch of the Stalker games for that Ukraine charity thing - never tried those but I might give them a go.

sig.gif
  • Options
    The typical arc of a Wheel of Time reader is reading the first book and thinking it's GREAT, reading the next two and thinking they're QUITE GOOD, and then reading some more and at some point wondering where all these other characters came from and why nothing seems to be happening. And then you get to the book which is like 1100 pages and takes place over a single day but touches on every single character, and you start to wonder if you're going insane, and then you look at the full list and now there's 14 of the damn things.

I've read up through book 11, back before he died and Sanderson took over, and at some point soon I plan on reading through the whole thing and then maybe being done with it forever.

There's 15 if you count New Spring (which you totally should). ;)

I was in a similar boat. I stopped reading in 2001 and decided to finally give the series a full read in 2020. It took me about 8 months, but it was totally worth it and I completely fell in love with it again. Sanderson's novels overall were good, though some of the characters felt a little different under his writing. Still, he did some interesting things with the lore (though how much of that was from Jordan's notes, I don't know).