Options

Wrestling Thread Hall of Famer Giant Tiger Presents: The Wrestling Thread

• Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    FREEDOMS uploaded a bunch of matches from their recent shows, including this incredibly fun King of FREEDOM Tag Team Championship match!

Toru Sugiura & Tomoya Hirata (c) vs UNCHAIN - Rina Yamashita & Minoru Fujita

The chaos starts before the champions even make their entrance, as UNCHAIN (clever bastards that they are) immediately remove the hanging tubes from the ropes and pile them in the middle of the ring and then attack the champs before the bell to give themselves the starting advantage in every way possible. It being tornado tag rules just makes the fight more wild. Also, the way Toru evades being thrown into the tall tube bundle around 9 minutes in is a thing of beauty. That man is something else, he's always got this crazy energy about him, so excited to see him in ToS in a few weeks!

spoiled for blood and weapons obviously

totp is for deathmatches

hailtothekale on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    There should be a tag team that's like Kronus and Saturn only their finisher is kick in the balls from behind and a kick in the balls from the back...

...and it should be called Scrotal Elimination.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    There should be a tag team that's like Kronus and Saturn only their finisher is kick in the balls from behind and a kick in the balls from the back...

Pretty sure I've seen this match.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

Thinking about that time newLegacy's Johnny booked a match between Brock and Austin in a card game and it was thirty seconds of them both lowblowing each other and then ten seconds of them trying to cover each other, eventually one succeeding and winning

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Apparently Trent is out of the Tag match on Sundays NJPW show being replaced by Rocky Romero

EDIT: apparently he has COVID

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

the Assclaimed might be the greatest faction in AEW history

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »
    Talking about the average public getting into wrestling. Bizazedo mentioned Hogan and the Attitude era but I think people forget how big the 80s Rock and Wrestling thing was. Hell Main Event ran on NBC on Friday night and Saturday Night Main Event would replace SNL a few times a year. Those Hulkamania tshirts were everywhere. He had a cartoon, breakfast cereal, bed sheets, and one of those cheesey songs where all the wrestlers clap and sing. I blame the super bowl shuffle for all of those dumb songs but that is getting off topic.
    I’m old, so I remember the media frenzy when Mr T and Hulk teamed up. It was insane.

Also none of this diminishes what a colossal piece of shot Hogan is, this is not defending him, I just wanted to talk about how big a deal he really was.

I wasn't even into wrestling at the time, but I thought "yeah, Hulk Hogan's cool."
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »
    3 hour Raws just really hurt the attempts to become invested in the product.

Something about the Attitude Era, that as much of it wasn't good, it always felt like "can't miss tv". You didn't want to miss Raw or Smackdown (Heat and everything else was skippeable) because you didn't know what was going to happen. Good or bad.

They were also really good at setting up cliffhanges for next week shows.
    Yeah. 3 hour Nitro's I always felt were a mistake and now we have 3 hour Raws. Sigh.

You're right on the can't miss feel. Somewhat related, I feel one of the biggest problems in WWE today (and one AEW is somewhat avoiding, to their credit) is how interconnected WWE used to feel.

I still remember, to this day, a match with HHH versus TAKA Michinoku for the championship on a Raw. The crowd was super hot and TAKA actually had a moment where the crowd bought he could win.

Or just the entire card interacting. Austin would be in the back and have a convo with Val Venis or someone even lower on the card. It wasn't as partitioned as today feels.

It's like one of the main reasons the Codyverse was so terrible in AEW as it felt sectioned off from the rest.

Then: "ANYTHING can happen in the World Wrestling Federation! On any given night, any Superstar can beat the champion for the title! If you're not here to be the best, then you shouldn't be here!"

Recently: "You're a B-Plus player. Be content, know your place, and collect your paycheck."

Now: I don't even know, I quit watching. From what I glean from recaps, though, it's not really gotten better from there?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Pretty sure I've seen this match.

Anything like this?

https://youtu.be/PECAo0WPUkc

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    So for my fellow Canucks and those near the Ontario/US borders Cultaholic posted some clickbait about AEW maybe running ALL OUT in Toronto. It's all conjecture based on a TSN interview where in totally separate questions TK says ALL OUT might not always be in Chicago which makes sense considering Forbidden Door is just 2 months prior. And then later makes a separate statement about running a show in Toronto cause border restrictions has eased up enough to let all their staff and talent over the border with relative ease.

Also if it did happen does that mean its called ALL OOT?

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    tfw you are the ACE and they put you in a double room after flying halfway across the world

• Options

Ha.

fucking lol.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Kingston vs. Ishii was about as good as you'd expect, which is to say totally great.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    I can’t take Lio Rush seriously cause I just wonder oh how long until he bails this time

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I can’t take Lio Rush seriously cause I just wonder oh how long until he bails this time

Yeah, I'm sure all the matches he talked about would be amazing, but are they all going to happen before he flakes out again?

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Then: "ANYTHING can happen in the World Wrestling Federation! On any given night, any Superstar can beat the champion for the title! If you're not here to be the best, then you shouldn't be here!"

Recently: "You're a B-Plus player. Be content, know your place, and collect your paycheck."

Now: I don't even know, I quit watching. From what I glean from recaps, though, it's not really gotten better from there?

The other thing I specifically remember about HHH vs TAKA was how pissed the internet was that they didn't let TAKA win and that HHH needed to lose (which was true).

It had about 6 times the viewers AEW gets (multiplier is a bit lower for current RAW), so we didn't know how far we could fall.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    It also aired in a world without Twitch, YouTube, or streaming services, to be fair.

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    once again impact proves why it is the best national wrestling promotion out there

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    It also aired in a world without Twitch, YouTube, or streaming services, to be fair.

No doubt. Everything is so fragmented nowadays. That still doesn't change how massive wrestling was in that boom time (which'll probably never happen again to that level).

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »

No doubt. Everything is so fragmented nowadays. That still doesn't change how massive wrestling was in that boom time (which'll probably never happen again to that level).

I mean at the same time NBC gave Jonathon Silverman a prime time tv show with a choice spot after friends. The 90s were nuts.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    How could you do Yuta so dirty like this?

zphpmejxbk8d.jpeg

• Options
    How could you do Yuta so dirty like this?

zphpmejxbk8d.jpeg

Watch him tap Tiger Mask out.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Looking at the schedule for BOSJ only the first 6 days have undercard tags the rest of the tournament are BOSJ matches only.

weird.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    So #hookhausen are confirmed to face mark sterling & tony neessee

How do you book the match?
    Ultimately I think Danhausen has to take the hot tag for the win.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Danbausen gets the shit kicked out of him for five minutes, hot tag to Hook who just suplexes those 2 Jabronis around. Danhausen curses Sterling and Hook promptly chokes him out, then we build to Hook vs Nese.

• Options
    Night 1 of BOSJ was very fun

• Options
    Night 1 of BOSJ was very fun

My dog woke me up at quarter to 7 so I was going to watch the end of the show, but it was already over. Glad these shows are shorter to keep up to date on.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    RJ City vs. Armed Anderson
    https://youtu.be/A3aM_LjbFVw

• Options
    Watching Day 1 of BOTSJ. Lindaman hits some dive into the first row and starts thrusting his crotch at the audience. Meanwhile the cameras miss Titán landing a double stomp on Taka for the win. 10/10

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    RJ City vs. Armed Anderson
    https://youtu.be/A3aM_LjbFVw

The previews for this had me rolling.

The full thing was well worth every moment.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    Magell wrote: »
    The Attitude Era is in all honesty possibly the best product of the perfect storm that was the 90s crash tv phenomenon.

But wrestling was also in a boom when my father was a kid and went to see Bruno headline Madison Square Garden once a month. Drive in movie theaters and boardwalk carnivals were also popular then. Things I as a shitty Attitude Era teen thought were super lame.

Entertainment tastes change through the years, but what's changed even more rapidly is the way people consume entertainment. Wrestling at its core is a theatrical LARP. And anyone who's been involved with theatre or LARP knows the kind of attention they require. With the most popular things these days being easily boiled down to gifs and memes and youtube clips, I'd be willing to bet a beer that the focus and investment a full weekly mainstream wrestling show requires just doesn't appeal to 'the normies' with limited time and energy to spare. Yet at the same time a clip of Orange Cassidy's sloth style or Naomi's "Feel The Glow" entrance will go viral just long enough to make it seem possible.

Also reality tv has had a big impact (which is hilarious because wrestling could be considered the og reality tv) but that's another conversation.

Anyway, that's my hot take.

If you take some to a live show or have them over for a PPV party they'll get invested in the product, but following a company weekly for at least 3 hours of content is a big ask.

To be honest, even when I was vibing with WWE from like 2014-2019 I went long periods of time where I didn’t watch RAW or Smackdown. There’s so much pointless filler in many of those episodes that it didn’t feel like it was well spent time.

When I gave up on wrestling in like 2005/6 a big factor was that I wasn’t watching the PPVs (any family/friends that used to watch with me didn’t anymore) and the Raws/SDs just felt useless; like nothing was happening and it was just recaps and commercials and nothing cool was going to happen. I was purposely taping the episodes and not watching live so that I could skip the ads… and then I started skipping most of the matches to get to the finishes… and then I realized “maybe I don’t like this anymore.”

And to Magell’s point, I recently got to hang out IRL with some friends I haven’t in a long time, and I was talking about how I had gotten back into watching wrestling after years away, and I showed them some clips and stuff like the PAC vs OC match were what got them hype because of how into it the crowd was. Now, they’re not going to start watching on their own, but that’s the gateway stuff that will make them aware the next time they encounter the brand in the wild.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Yes, give me more Mark Sterling as WrestleLaw Lionel Hutz

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    ATTENTION:

PWG HAS BOOKED A WOMEN’S MATCH FOR THE FIRST TIME IN FOREVER.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Nirya wrote: »
    ATTENTION:

PWG HAS BOOKED A WOMEN’S MATCH FOR THE FIRST TIME IN FOREVER.

Somebody must have kidnapped Super Dragon. We've got to assemble a team to save him.

• Options

Hopefully Sasha walking out sticks this time and she can go somewhere and be the biggest star like she deserves to be. Also Naomi can go somewhere like Impact that will actually push her like she's deserved for the last five years at least.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    The top reply to that is "Sasha should go to NJPW" and lol, people don't know any women's wrestling

haha

:'(

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
This discussion has been closed.