As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wrestling Thread Hall of Famer Giant Tiger Presents: The Wrestling Thread

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Somebody on twitter was saying Wardlow can just shit talk MJF for being too afraid the show up and have somebody replace him saying MJF paid them to fight Wardlow.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Yah, those jumped to mind for me as well, it still sucks for the folks that paid to see Wardlow vs. MJF, and it don't absolve MJF of acting petty.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    Somebody on twitter was saying Wardlow can just shit talk MJF for being too afraid the show up and have somebody replace him saying MJF paid them to fight Wardlow.

That replacement should be Brandon Cutler in full MJF costume.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Matev wrote: »
    Yah, those jumped to mind for me as well, it still sucks for the folks that paid to see Wardlow vs. MJF, and it don't absolve MJF of acting petty.

Contract negotiations aren't about right or wrong, they are about leverage. MJF thinks that he has enough leverage to make AEW pay him extra to finish his contract and then have to pay him even more money to not have him walk to WWE. If that's the case, threatening to walk right before a major fight makes perfect sense.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Also, been reading the interviews to Cody and a big part of him going to WWE was "the top end of the roster is open right now for any wrestler that thinks that he's good enough to be the next Undertaker/Triple H/Edge, just have to be able to sell a story about you beating Roman". So take that as you will.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    look i do not like mjf, the person, but i am never siding with management in any situation.

This exactly, it would take a hell of a lot to make me side with a literal billionaire over anyone, in any kind of monetary dispute, ever.

• Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Also, been reading the interviews to Cody and a big part of him going to WWE was "the top end of the roster is open right now for any wrestler that thinks that he's good enough to be the next Undertaker/Triple H/Edge, just have to be able to sell a story about you beating Roman". So take that as you will.

Bold claims from the Three Star General.

• Options
    eddizhereeddizhere Scrubber Than A Sponge Scrubtown, USARegistered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    look i do not like mjf, the person, but i am never siding with management in any situation.

This exactly, it would take a hell of a lot to make me side with a literal billionaire over anyone, in any kind of monetary dispute, ever.

A thing I haven’t seen brought up about MJF posturing as though he’d go to WWE is that he’s like 5’7”. It would also just be a shame for AEW to lose the only one of their 4 Pillars who’s good on the mic.

Anyway, give MJF an NFL QB level contract for all I care. I won’t be satisfied til everyone on the AEW roster is set for life and TK and his dad are have to move to Duval county and live out of the stadium

League of Legends: Plutoniumwombat
    Smite: Plutoniumwombat
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    I like a good wrestling controversy as much as the next person, but for all we know this could be a family emergency or a personal matter. I'll reserve my judgment until the dust settles, thank you.

• Options
    eddizhere wrote: »

A thing I haven’t seen brought up about MJF posturing as though he’d go to WWE is that he’s like 5’7”. It would also just be a shame for AEW to lose the only one of their 4 Pillars who’s good on the mic.

Anyway, give MJF an NFL QB level contract for all I care. I won’t be satisfied til everyone on the AEW roster is set for life and TK and his dad are have to move to Duval county and live out of the stadium

Yeah, like, TK can just pay the money, and while there's a lot of argument about MJF screwing everybody over and blah blah, not everybody in AEW is an aging star with a lot of miles already and a deep grudge to boot. For young, talented and ambitious talent, "getting poached by Vince" is now a perfectly viable career path, so TK better start coughing up the dough.

• Options
    Anyways, it appears that he didn't left:

Up on the air anyways, but it seems like he doesn't have enough leverage, maybe he was told that not waiting out his contract was going to hurt him, etc.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

Yeah, like, TK can just pay the money, and while there's a lot of argument about MJF screwing everybody over and blah blah, not everybody in AEW is an aging star with a lot of miles already and a deep grudge to boot. For young, talented and ambitious talent, "getting poached by Vince" is now a perfectly viable career path, so TK better start coughing up the dough.

Expecting MJF to extend his contract for more money doesn't seem unreasonable. If TK just gives him the money for what is pretty poor behaviour on MJF's part then he's letting the entire roster know ithat if you're in a good position and want more money, just theraten to derail matches and you'll get more.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

Expecting MJF to extend his contract for more money doesn't seem unreasonable. If TK just gives him the money for what is pretty poor behaviour on MJF's part then he's letting the entire roster know ithat if you're in a good position and want more money, just theraten to derail matches and you'll get more.

Yeah I don't really care about the rest of the roster since none of them can touch his mic skills. Like, good luck with "But you did this for MJF!" when you're barely able to remember more than 2 sentences of your promo.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    The reaction to MJF walking out compared to Sash and Naomi walking out is pretty telling imo.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I support labor over management but I also hope someone defrauds mjf of most of his excess wealth after his new contract because he's legit an asshole

We call this The Jericho Clause

• Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »
    The reaction to MJF walking out compared to Sash and Naomi walking out is pretty telling imo.

Yeah. My double standard was evident. I had a ton sympathy for Sasha and Naomi stuck with awful creative. I felt no sympathy for a dude trying to hold a company ransom after the company made him a star.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I support labor over management but I also hope someone defrauds mjf of most of his excess wealth after his new contract because he's legit an asshole

Look at a certain point it'd be nice if you provided context for this. What did he do? Is this just "wrestling heels are heels in real life too" or how he flips off kids at meet and greets, like, what?

Google tells me that a lot of people want to know what he's like backstage and have no fucking idea. It doesn't really help me out here.

Help me out here. I'm that guy who asks his younger friends to explain every fucking tweet he reads.

EDIT: Like it has to be pretty bad to be stacking him up with Jericho, I gotta be honest.

Thawmus on
  • Options
    The the Prestige show last night Willow Nightingale had the ropes snap on her when she hit them, but she landed safely and was okay.

MV Young came out and told the crew not to bother fixing it they'll just have the four way match without ropes and its a streetfight. Considering he and Akira have spent time in No Peace and ICW where they don't have ropes not too hard for them.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

Look at a certain point it'd be nice if you provided context for this. What did he do? Is this just "wrestling heels are heels in real life too" or how he flips off kids at meet and greets, like, what?

Google tells me that a lot of people want to know what he's like backstage and have no fucking idea. It doesn't really help me out here.

Help me out here. I'm that guy who asks his younger friends to explain every fucking tweet he reads.

EDIT: Like it has to be pretty bad to be stacking him up with Jericho, I gotta be honest.

The one that's stuck in my craw the most was the Allie Kat situation

For a while he dated indie wrestler and very-sweet-person Allie Kat. Publicly proposed to her at a show. Convinced her against her best wishes to step out of her comfort zone in addition to all that and move in with him across the country in an unfamiliar state where she had no other friends or family members to rely on if something went south, and in which she had to quit her IRL/non-wrestling job just to be able to do it. Soon after, he broke up with her. It sent her into a dark place where amongst other things she considered quitting the business entirely over it

https://www.ringsidenews.com/2019/06/27/allie-kat-details-terrible-breakup-with-mjf/

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular

A Canadian Kimono

• Options
    Meltzer apparently missed an Eagles concert to cover the MJF story so you know he's a true professional.

Don't know why he blew off a concert to report nobody is really sure what's going on, but not surprising.

• Options
    Thawmus wrote: »

The one that's stuck in my craw the most was the Allie Kat situation

For a while he dated indie wrestler and very-sweet-person Allie Kat. Publicly proposed to her at a show. Convinced her against her best wishes to step out of her comfort zone in addition to all that and move in with him across the country in an unfamiliar state where she had no other friends or family members to rely on if something went south, and in which she had to quit her IRL/non-wrestling job just to be able to do it. Soon after, he broke up with her. It sent her into a dark place where amongst other things she considered quitting the business entirely over it

https://www.ringsidenews.com/2019/06/27/allie-kat-details-terrible-breakup-with-mjf/

I mean that is legit shitty but that makes him an incredibly shitty boyfriend, not MAGA shithead covid-denying fuckhead Chris Jericho hate-worthy.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    Meltzer apparently missed an Eagles concert to cover the MJF story so you know he's a true professional.

Don't know why he blew off a concert to report nobody is really sure what's going on, but not surprising.

i do wonder how far i woulda got in life if i had even a fraction of the self-importance dave meltzer does every now and again

my man really believes in that baseless gossip being holy writ

7656367.jpg
  • Options

Ah yes, The Judas Contract

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

Not really, they are very different situations.

Sasha and Naomi didn’t screw anyone over on the level that MJF could potentially screw over Wardlow. One was over an unadvertised throwaway Raw match and one is over the culmination of a two-year storyline. One is over creative direction and one is over money. AEW management also has been reportedly willing to try and work out a deal for him, while WWE management has clearly not ever been willing to even try to care about doing better with the tag titles.

A more fitting comparison would be if Kenny walked out right before he was supposed to put over Hangman.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options

i do wonder how far i woulda got in life if i had even a fraction of the self-importance dave meltzer does every now and again

my man really believes in that baseless gossip being holy writ

I never read the Observer and Highspots threw in some of his books in for free when I ordered DVDs and when I read through them I was stupefied that this guy's writing is what everybody consults for wrestling news. It's so poorly written and just a recitation of facts.

• Options
    "You're screwing over your coworkers!" is a pretty common management anti-worker tactic, tbh

• Options
    TK can always just do what Vince did to Jarrett and pay the money to get the man to lose his match and then tell him to fuck off and not hire him again until he's in his 50s to put him in the HoF.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    i really don't understand giving benefit of the doubt to aew management when stu grayson literally quit over the same thing

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    i really don't understand giving benefit of the doubt to aew management when stu grayson literally quit over the same thing

That’s…not what happened at all?

Stu’s contract naturally ran out, they didn’t come to terms on a new deal, so they peacefully parted ways.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I made a thing last night, but now I don't know what to think in light of learning that Jericho is a terrible person?

Just watching him on TV shows or listening to his podcast lately and he came off as an ok person. Fuck...you think you know someone.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Honestly it feels like the best case scenarios here are probably either they come to an agreement to have MJF do the match tonight and then get his release, or TK agrees to give MJF some sort of performance bonus and he continues through the rest of his contract and we see how things go in 2024.

I suppose there is always the chance this is some elaborate work, but if that is the case it just makes everyone look bad and it means a bunch of fans who paid and travelled to see him got fucked over for a dumb work so I hope that’s not the case.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I made a thing last night, but now I don't know what to think in light of learning that Jericho is a terrible person?

Just watching him on TV shows or listening to his podcast lately and he came off as an ok person. Fuck...you think you know someone.

Like, Jericho's still one of my top wrestlers cause he's one of those guys who's actually seen it all done it all to an extent and still talks circles around most of AEW's roster (Obvious current exceptions being MJF, CM punk, William Regal, and Eddie Kingston) It does suck ass that's he's a shitty person though.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I think it's easy to see both sides of it. He signed a contract and made his own bed They were willing to pay him more if he was willing to extend. He already had two years left on his contract and is young enough that maybe signing out five years or so seemed like overcomitting.

Personally, I think TK should have been willing to negotiate without the extension. I'm guessing MJF is/was working for less than someone like a member of ReDragon and that truly isn't ok. I get wanting to lock down MJF, but in a company that depends on the wrestlers writing their own stuff, you do need to fairly motivate them. Fair pay is a big part of that. Threatening a big PPV moment is a shit move though, I feel MJF has other leverage and didn't need to threaten a coworker's big moment.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Management sucks and will always suck, but MJF fucking Wardlow over as his fellow worker also means he sucks

I mostly just feel bad for Wardlow in this situation, I can believe both of the other parties are shit

And will be annoyed if they do pay him given that it means they could have negotiated with Stu if they really wanted to

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular

Not really, they are very different situations.

Sasha and Naomi didn’t screw anyone over on the level that MJF could potentially screw over Wardlow. One was over an unadvertised throwaway Raw match and one is over the culmination of a two-year storyline. One is over creative direction and one is over money. AEW management also has been reportedly willing to try and work out a deal for him, while WWE management has clearly not ever been willing to even try to care about doing better with the tag titles.

A more fitting comparison would be if Kenny walked out right before he was supposed to put over Hangman.

If we really want to play this game, which is a stupid fucking game, then we should point out that the Raw match was advertised (that’s how we knew who all was in it) and Naomi in particular was going to win it, with Sasha theoretically then being booked to become Smackdown #1 contender. Obviously that part could be heresy, but considering the booking in the women’s divisions since the walkout, it definitely seems plausible to likely probable. And we do know Sasha and Naomi were negotiating new contracts - their contracts were set to expire by the end of the summer.

Also for all the public bluster about being willing to give MJF a new contract, I have a lot of doubts as to what they actually think fair is, with my reasoning being we have ample evidence of the Khans being shit owners in two sports that bring in a hell of a lot more money than wrestling.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
This discussion has been closed.