Options

Black Lives Matter

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I'm just a coward, I can't stand up for marginalized people.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I'd like to start pushing to abolish the police in my neighborhood, but how do I do it without making myself and my family a target for stochastic terrorism?

Yes, I know people of color are targeted all the time and it's my white privilege that I get to live in a society where I'm not automatically targeted. I'm trying to see what I can do that doesn't threaten my children--they are not old enough yet to accept the risk.

... or am I just being a coward either way?

Fly in 30 east africans, 10 Nigerians, and 1 South African

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    You could start by just talking to/organizing your immediate neighbors, but any kinda advocacy necessarily becomes public at some point

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Darmak wrote: »
    Tef wrote: »
    The pigs will continue to get more and more out of control, I think

E: does anyone know of a way to deal with 30-50 feral hogs?

Calling cops pigs is insulting to pigs.

One is empathetic, kind, and intelligent

The other is a fucking cop

Probably don't taste nearly as good either

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    The second robocop cartoon, the one set further in the future, had an episode where Murphy pointed out a statistical error in the work of the big bad's henchman.

"Your conclusion was wrong"
    "You lie! My math was flawless! 99.9% accurate"
    "Your math was correct but against a population sample of billions of people, even curated, leaves you with a margin of error of over 1,000,000 people."
    "MINION!"

Murphy was bullshitting of course, no drama if they had the wrong family. But it stuck with me.

With current criminal and genetic databases expanding as more data is added (assuming crime rates stay trending down over the last 30 years), the raw number your analysis samples from increases. This means the potential number of wrong people your data samples increases as well.

So a 99.9% accurate method will good for like, 100 dudes, but give you 10 possible dudes if you search 1000 dudes

So with larger population sets, even limiting to race (acknowledging that a lot of brown skinned asian and latin populations get confused for black), age (which people get wrong a lot), and gender (everyone androgynous in a panic) with population increasing you still get that 0.1% error rate pulling a fuck ton of people.

I was thinking about this in regards to this story
    https://apnews.com/article/gun-violence-technology-crime-chicago-lawsuits-3e6145f63c96593866cf89ac01ce7498

And recalled the nypd rejecting several facial recognition technologies (before 2020) because their math's margin of error never hit 90%. I googled some stuff now and learned that, while i was worried before about civilians using rejected software, i should have worried about police using the software on their personal devices.

https://nypost.com/2020/01/23/rogue-nypd-cops-are-using-sketchy-facial-recognition-app-clearview/

So yeah, math dread

Also LOVEINT
    The practice of people using intelligence assets to spy on lovers, partners, spouses, or people they are crushing on

• Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular

yahoo wrote:
    A young man firing a toy gun at people was fatally shot in the Bronx early Thursday — and an off-duty city Dept. of Corrections officer was later arrested for the slaying.

Dion Middleton, 45, was hit with murder, manslaughter and criminal possession of a weapon.

Raymond Chaluisant, 18, was firing a toy gun from inside a car, and Middleton allegedly returned fire, shooting more than once, sources said. It was unclear who Chaluisant had been firing at, cops said.

Police initially believed Chaluisant was firing a water gun, but after further investigation determined it was an “Orbeez” gun, which resembles a pistol and fires gel projectiles.

Middleton works in training at the NYPD shooting range in Rodman’s Neck, and he allegedly went to work following the fatal shooting, sources said.

Chaluisant was found unconscious inside a silver Acura, when cops arrived at 1:35 a.m. at the Grand Concourse and E. Tremont Ave. in Mount Hope. The teen was rushed to St. Barnabas Hospital, but he could not be saved.

Police said they recovered a shell casing at the scene but later determined Chaluisant was actually shot nearly a half-mile away — at Morris Ave. and the Grand Concourse.

https://sports.yahoo.com/man-18-shot-dead-bronx-175100079.html

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    As horrible and disgustingly common as this is, I feel like it should be heavily stressed that this murderer was a guy whose job it is to train cops in firearm usage.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    While I am thankful that people are being arrested for firing their gun at other people and not reported it to the police,

It is horrifying to realize that this is the 2nd case I've heard of where someone fired their weapon at another human being and never bothered to call the police afterwards. Both times ending in The latter person who was shot dying dine from their wounds

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Dude seems like a real nice guy.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

That's unusual. *reads* Oh, he attacked another cop, that's why he's actually being punished instead of the usual "Do what now?" slow dragging of a mock investigation until after statute of limitations has expired

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Hold the phone this cop’s name is Pullease?

• Options
    Scary he reminds me of a walker texas ranger character. Accusing officers should be cautious

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Hold the phone this cop’s name is Pullease?

Fuck the Pullease

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
  • Options
    Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    I love that they call them “bead blasters” to make them sound dangerous and intimidating. It’s comic book villain level bullshit.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    I'm sure that's why they chose it, but that also sounds like the wording toy guns use on the packaging too.

• Options
    Kind of freaky we have toys modeled straight off of AR15 and clip attachments

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    They let the guy out because the "attack" was probably staged. Nobody attacks a public official by slowly sauntering up to them with a fucking plastic keychain wrapped around their fingers.

• Options
    Who is Zeldin and why does this Gawker level of reporting matter?

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Gawker was good, rip

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Zeldin is the Republican running for NY governor and he was attacked by a very drunk man at a rally the other day. He "predicted" his attacker would be released because of NY's soft on crime bail laws 🤔

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited July 2022

??????

???

???????

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

??????

???

???????

Bssically when they reported anything serious be a dump of personal anecdotes of their own lives before getting to the meat and potatoes of anything

Got so bad i read their stuff in reverse to understand it

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Editorial style of most gawker sites was ass even if they got treated like shit later on in a way nobody should

• Options
    Editorial style of most gawker sites was ass even if they got treated like shit later on in a way nobody should

Ah yes

The purges

Anytime something reminds me of that one pvp arc, my blood runs cold

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    republicans here have such a raging hardon for getting rid of cashless bail, it's really annoying

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular

These guys are gonna steal every toy gun off the street to justify murdering a guy because he was playing with a water gun, huh?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

These guys are gonna steal every toy gun off the street to justify murdering a guy because he was playing with a water gun, huh?

So wait, we can ban water guns but real guns are off limits?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Plus they can make real guns that look like toy guns so that cops have an excuse for killing kids with toys

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Their definition of “air rifle” would also cover a lot of nerf guns.

Not that that’s surprising. They’re perfectly happy to scoop up as many perfectly innocent toys in that net so they can selectively enforce it to fuck with minorities.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

It has always been ok to take guns from minorities.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    So my phone showed me an article with a headline saying something about how Beastie Boys were cultural appropriation, and I read just like the first sentence which was complaining how "New York liberals" had named a street after them when they should not be honoured. (It also specifically mentioned them as being Jewish which kinda made me side-eye a little bit, but I digress.)

This was earlier when I was at work so I only glanced at it very briefly, and I now literally can not find the article, but I wanted some input.

My first instinct was that this was complete bullshit. I try to be as aware and sensitive to cultural appropriation as possible for a white guy, and obviously everyone knows that hip-hop was invented in Black communities, but this seems like a stretch. Especially given how unique their style was.

But again, I'm a white dude so my opinion doesn't really matter here. I would love to hear how other people feel about it.

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    So my phone showed me an article with a headline saying something about how Beastie Boys were cultural appropriation, and I read just like the first sentence which was complaining how "New York liberals" had named a street after them when they should not be honoured. (It also specifically mentioned them as being Jewish which kinda made me side-eye a little bit, but I digress.)

This was earlier when I was at work so I only glanced at it very briefly, and I now literally can not find the article, but I wanted some input.

My first instinct was that this was complete bullshit. I try to be as aware and sensitive to cultural appropriation as possible for a white guy, and obviously everyone knows that hip-hop was invented in Black communities, but this seems like a stretch. Especially given how unique their style was.

But again, I'm a white dude so my opinion doesn't really matter here. I would love to hear how other people feel about it.

That stuff's sometimes in the eye of the beholder, I don't think there's always a clearcut line on what's appropriation and what's collaboration. There often is, but not always. I don't know if that writer's necessarily wrong to call it appropriation, but I don't know if they're right. Shit's complicated. I'm also not even remotely qualified to talk on black experiences. But for someone who maybe is, here's a piece from Questlove about what the Beastie Boys meant to him: https://www.okayplayer.com/news/mca-what-does-it-mean-by-questlove.html
    man. this was the education that has sustained me into the business i have now. my passion for sneakers? those guys. making my own custom t shirts? (I’ve made about 2000 in the past 10 years) those guys. my passion for funk records and 45s id pay $500 a record for? those guys. now I’m going through my parents basement looking for old Ebony’s from the 70s and now I’m becoming a pop culture junkie scouring the earth for soul train episodes? those guys. standing for what i politically believe in even if its not popular?

all those guys.

Questlove's also buddies with Jimmy Fallon, so like, keep that context in mind. When I say shit's complicated I mean that in multiple directions.

• Options
    Eminem doesn't hesitate to list people who made it possible for him to make a single cent and calls out his race as aiding his sales.

The line you are looking for is the line between karaoke and actually learning [craft] to the point that you elevate it.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Fwiw, coming at it from the other direction, the Beastie Boys were the ones who made a lot of hip hop accessible and cool to white punk rock kids in the 90s. Most of us definitely didn’t stop with Beastie Boys records, because those guys never hesitated to hype up their influences, their contemporaries, or the artists that came up after them. Not that I don’t absolutely see the other side of it, but I think that counts for a fair bit in those scenes.

minor incident on
This discussion has been closed.