As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fitness and Weight Management] Let's crush some 2022 goals!

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    20-30 mins of cardio a day is quite a lot

I'd say you could probably do that just 2-3 times a week, 3 gym sessions, 1-2 proper full rest days and then just generally try to stay active

I also don't know how long it takes to do 8k steps a day but I'd say if you do your cardio and resistance the steps won't make a lot of difference, maybe just try to go for a walk every day for like 15-20 mins at least.

Solar on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    I'm not as invested in the sports-science of it all but 20-30 minutes of cardio is my low end per day, usually in the 45min range and on long days I'll get 2-3 hours. Those are the 50-60 mile rides or long runs, which is what I train for. I do 3 days of 30 minutes of strength training a week, but that's measly weights compared to a lot of you all in this thread - I'm not trying to bulk up though.

To me, it seems like it all depends on what you're looking to do with all that activity.

• Options
    5voyom7jio3u.jpg

j6zg0s9kj88y.jpg

My mate got a cool couple of pictures of me climbing/at the crag this weekend

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I've been reading that it's good to get in 8k steps per day alongside 20-30 minutes of cardio each day, with weight training x3/week. My question is how true is this, and how long does it take to travel 8k steps. That sounds like a lot and I'm not sure I want to spend 2 hours a day on exercising. Did I read that wrong and the steps/cardio to be combined or something?

Depends on pace and also if you are considering those steps as a single block of exercise or just what you do throughout your day, but you can hit 8k steps in about an hour and twenty minutes at a moderate pace.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea, the steps thing is just that you should be moving around throughout your day. Its saying you shouldn't do a 30 minute cardio routine and then be sedentary for the remaining 15.5 hours of your day, and that you should get up and move around in a sustained manner a few times a day. So like 3-4 10 minute walks or a couple 20 minute walks spread out throughout the day.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Before my elliptical wheel broke, I was doing 45 minutes of cardio per day. I read somewhere long ago that was an average amount. Doing 45 minutes plus another 80 minutes of walking feels like it just swallows up my whole day. I know that's not true, but it certainly feels like it. I'll stick with the cardio and try and mix in some more walking during the day.

Any good sites for recommending healthy foods/snacks/meals?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Before my elliptical wheel broke, I was doing 45 minutes of cardio per day. I read somewhere long ago that was an average amount. Doing 45 minutes plus another 80 minutes of walking feels like it just swallows up my whole day. I know that's not true, but it certainly feels like it. I'll stick with the cardio and try and mix in some more walking during the day.

Remember that 80 minutes counts the 2 minutes to get up and walk to the fridge, or take a quick 5 minute walk around the building, or to the parking lot. Things like that. Its not necessarily exercise but it is good for the body to get up and move throughout the day.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Its saying you shouldn't do a 30 minute cardio routine and then be sedentary for the remaining 15.5 hours of your day

Well that sucks, I was hoping 30 minutes of cardio would cancel out being an immobile slug all day long

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options

Remember that 80 minutes counts the 2 minutes to get up and walk to the fridge, or take a quick 5 minute walk around the building, or to the parking lot. Things like that. Its not necessarily exercise but it is good for the body to get up and move throughout the day.

Hmmm...I do have to walk my son from the parking lot to his school and then back to the car, twice per day. I guess I could integrate the stairs in instead of the elevator. Not much, but should count as one or two of my 10 minute strolls per day during the week. Maybe I should get a step counting app.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

Hmmm...I do have to walk my son from the parking lot to his school and then back to the car, twice per day. I guess I could integrate the stairs in instead of the elevator. Not much, but should count as one or two of my 10 minute strolls per day during the week. Maybe I should get a step counting app.

If you have an iPhone its probably already doing it.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    And the 8,000 step thing, I believe, is just any activity, it doesn’t have to be steps.

Now that I am back climbing I am going to get a doorframe pullup bar and do a grease the groove type thing where I do a manageable number of pull-ups every hour. For example.

• Options
    Icemopper wrote: »
    I'm not as invested in the sports-science of it all but 20-30 minutes of cardio is my low end per day, usually in the 45min range and on long days I'll get 2-3 hours. Those are the 50-60 mile rides or long runs, which is what I train for. I do 3 days of 30 minutes of strength training a week, but that's measly weights compared to a lot of you all in this thread - I'm not trying to bulk up though.

To me, it seems like it all depends on what you're looking to do with all that activity.

You are a cardio athlete though, no? I feel like if one is looking to just be in good shape 20-30 mins 2-3 times a week is plenty

I don't do any at all mind you, I both suck at and hate cardio, but that's by the by lol

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    And the 8,000 step thing, I believe, is just any activity, it doesn’t have to be steps.

Now that I am back climbing I am going to get a doorframe pullup bar and do a grease the groove type thing where I do a manageable number of pull-ups every hour. For example.

Don't knacker your elbows!

• Options
    Solar wrote: »

Don't knacker your elbows!

I did it before and it seemed fine. But yeah usually I’ll do a day of pull-ups, and then a day of squats, and then a day of something else, etc. sometimes I focus more but if anything gets mad I rotate to something else

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I’m just on a 5k a day diet right now, the more important aspect of that 5k (actually 5.26km / 3.27 miles) being the 191 meters of ascent and descent (625 feet), and the ~55 minute timeframe on that adventure. Did it pushing ~18kg (40ish pounds) of stroller yesterday, and my legs damn near splinted on today’s walk. Still not as rough as doing at above 30c with like 70% humidity.

• Options
    edited August 2022

I do have an iPhone. Gotta find out where now. :)

Edit: Ah yes, the "Health App" I threw into a folder with other standard apps.

~2,300 steps so far without taking any walks. Not bad.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

Now go back into your history and see how many years its been tracking those steps.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

You are a cardio athlete though, no? I feel like if one is looking to just be in good shape 20-30 mins 2-3 times a week is plenty

I don't do any at all mind you, I both suck at and hate cardio, but that's by the by lol

We already knew that, you're a boulderer *ducks*

• Options

Now go back into your history and see how many years its been tracking those steps.

Wow, there's all the data. Looks like I do about 1,000 steps in the dropping off and picking up off my son. I took a walk at lunch with my daughter and dog for 20 minutes and clocked in 2,000 steps. So I'm guessing I'd need to do 3 of those walks per day along with the pick up and drop off to reach 8k.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    schuss wrote: »

Hey now! Solar probably puts in a good 5 minutes on the rowing machine once every other year.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I do like the occasional bit of cardio but it has to feel more purposeful than jogging or using a machine

I could kinda get borderline with indoor spin/cycling because I could at least read or game while doing it, but otherwise I need a shiny object to chase or a target to punch to keep motivated

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    schuss wrote: »

Hey now! Solar probably puts in a good 5 minutes on the rowing machine once every other year.

Called out

Actually every now and again I check to see if I can run 5k in 25 mins, but with my knee I've not done it in a while. Should probably get on the rowing machine...

• Options
    Speaking of strength gains, and for the climbers, even you route nerds, I've been trying this fingerboarding protocol recently called 10/7

Basically, get a 20mm edge, pick a weight you know you can always do 10 seconds hang with it added. Then add 2-5kgs weight per hang, if you can do 10 seconds, add more, if you do 7-9 seconds stay the same, less than 7 drop back

So last time I did 25kgs, 30, 35, 38, 40 (8 seconds), 40 (6 seconds), 38, 38

This time I did 25, 30, 35, 38, 40, 43, 45, 48 (8 seconds) so a personal best but I find it really drives my max hangs to a peak and recruits my fingers incredibly well. Recommend it!

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I've been slowly building up my cardio routine and I'm at about 30 minutes of jogging every other day.

The first few minutes are always awful. The last few minutes are awful, too. All the minutes in between, though,

are awful.

But I have trimmed off about 20 lbs this summer.

• Options
    Picked up a jump rope for funsies today.

Hooooboy jumping rope is a real butt kicker.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    My gym's annual competition is this weekend. This is going to be my first time doing it in the higher challenge division instead of the scaled down one, so I'ma get my ass kicked

Day 1 - Event 1
    10 rounds for time:

50m swim
    5 pool deck muscle ups

*Timecap: 15min

Day 1 - Event 2
    (5 minutes immediately after Event 1)
    5 rounds for time, with 50 lb dumbells:

12 dumbbells deadlifts
    9 dumbbells hang power cleans
    6 dumbbells shoulder to overhead
    25ft walking lunges
    Then after all 5 rounds, farmer's carry back to the start line (125 ft)

Day 2 - Event 3
    12min AMRAP

15 bar facing burpees
    15 snatch 75 lbs
    15 bar facing burpees
    15 snatch 95 lbs
    15 bar facing burpees
    15 snatch 135 lbs
    15 bar facing burpees
    Max reps snatch 165 lbs

Day 2 - Event 4
    For time:

30 cals row
    20 dumbbells step overs (50 lb dumbells, 24" box)
    60 zeus rope double unders
    30 wall balls (20 lbs, 10 ft high target)
    20 toes to bar
    5 wall walks
    Run back to pylon by the rower

*Timecap: 10min
    Score is time to complete the chipper.
    If time capped, score is reps completed.

Day 2 - Event 5
    Surprise

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I'm dreading the zeus rope double unders. I'm pretty decent at normal jump rope double unders, but the zeus rope is a heavy ass steel cable that's like 3x thicker than normal. It's brutal and it hurts like hell to fuck up with (which I will do, a lot). No shot I'm finishing that event under the 10 min time cap

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    Did a nice 3 mile walk this morning in prep for my 5 mile hike this weekend. Felt pretty good! Also down 5lb this week to 359. Haven't been this light since this time 2015.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    My gym's annual competition is this weekend. This is going to be my first time doing it in the higher challenge division instead of the scaled down one, so I'ma get my ass kicked
    Day 1 - Event 1
    10 rounds for time:

50m swim
    5 pool deck muscle ups

Day 1 - Event 2
    (5 minutes immediately after Event 1)
    5 rounds for time, with 50 lb dumbells:

12 dumbbells deadlifts
    9 dumbbells hang power cleans
    6 dumbbells shoulder to overhead
    25ft walking lunges
    Then after all 5 rounds, farmer's carry back to the start line (125 ft)

Day 2 - Event 3
    12min AMRAP

15 bar facing burpees
    15 snatch 75 lbs
    15 bar facing burpees
    15 snatch 95 lbs
    15 bar facing burpees
    15 snatch 135 lbs
    15 bar facing burpees
    Max reps snatch 165 lbs

Day 2 - Event 4
    For time:

30 cals row
    20 dumbbells step overs (50 lb dumbells, 24" box)
    60 zeus rope double unders
    30 wall balls (20 lbs, 10 ft high target)
    20 toes to bar
    5 wall walks
    Run back to pylon by the rower

Score is time to complete the chipper.
    If time capped, score is reps completed.

Day 2 - Event 5
    Surprise

Event 5 ended up being:
    Day 2 - Event 5
    2 rounds for time:

4 sled push/pull 25ft 215 lbs
    1 keg carry 25ft (~ 140 lbs?)
    10 shuttle runs 25ft
    1 keg carry 25ft
    4 sandbag over the shoulders 150 lbs

Competition complete. Results:
    0k1AwVO.png

Back of the pack but I'm happy with how things went. Only got time capped on the one event, managed to complete the rest. Nearly puked all over the field after Event 2, just brutal.

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    Well, this is exciting but by folks just dropped a voucher on me for a trip they had planned forever ago, but got canceled due to covid.

So now I can basically redeem this for a long walk in Spain along the camino, it’s enough to cover one of like the 7-10 day routes.

Have to schedule it before the end of the year, and will also need to get myself in shape to walk 20km a day for multiple days in a row, which may be tough with flat feet.

Hoping I can get all the pieces lined up fast enough.

• Options
    Did my 5 mile hike yesterday and while it kicked my butt, it didn't destroy me, so that made me happy. Gonna have to start doing a hike every couple weeks to supplement my day to day fitness.

Honestly I think my wife was more surprised. When I stopped being fit she also stopped working out, and lost a fair bit of fitness. She has a somewhat active job but I think the years without any serious fitness caught her by surprise, where as I've been used to it and was prepared for an ass kicking. She was excited to do more though, so hopefully we can both get back in shape together.

• Options
    If anyone wants to know why I and many others worship at the altar of bouldering just watch any of the climbs being done in the latest mellow vid

https://youtu.be/Rx6GPpO37C4

Absolutely fucking sick

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    trying to start eating better is going to be extremely hard given the grocery prices recently

bleh

I also wish they could figure out why I get so badly winded so quickly just walking around the grocery store too, this wasn't an issue a year ago and I'm down weight since then.

Kinda hard to get any activity or do much about my diet under these conditions.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If anyone wants to know why I and many others worship at the altar of bouldering just watch any of the climbs being done in the latest mellow vid

*snip big aaarghs*

Absolutely fucking sick

HARD NOPE

• Options
    Watched the bit where Jimmy Webb got injured?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Watched the bit where Jimmy Webb got injured?

f no, just the thumbnail

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    You should watch him do it, it's very cool

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    yeah I can't wait to watch somebody climb and hurt themselves???question mark?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I mean the guy on the thumbnail doesn't hurt himself, he's fine. He does Alphane 9A which is pretty fucking wild tbh, but also mostly very safe, the top out is spooky but fine for someone at his level

Only Jimmy Webb hurts himself. But apparently he's almost fully recovered, so that's cool.

Solar on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i worship at the altar of bouldering because those men are built like hard-ons