As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[macOS] Sierra is Online. "Hey Siri, I need to get rid of a body."

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm okay with the price differences tbh - I'm just trying to decide on whether I care more about portability (because those airs are v nice and portable - it's a noticeable difference) or stuff like the better screen and a tad more performance - because from what I gather and what I did in my testing, a slightly upgraded air can tackle stuff like Lightroom and Ableton (which I use) and even for some OBS streaming with ease...

At home I'll usually have it hooked up to the external monitor, and some occasional lap use

So I guess really it's a question of how often I forsee taking my laptop out and about - working from cafes, etc
    (I live in NYC, so it'd be carrying it around and whatnot)

But I already commute with my work m1 pro, am I really gonna have situations where I am taking my personal laptop out and about a lot? Is the lightness worth the difference in ports and screen?

I dunnooooo decisions

poo
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Yeah, I'm okay with the price differences tbh - I'm just trying to decide on whether I care more about portability (because those airs are v nice and portable - it's a noticeable difference) or stuff like the better screen and a tad more performance - because from what I gather and what I did in my testing, a slightly upgraded air can tackle stuff like Lightroom and Ableton (which I use) and even for some OBS streaming with ease...

At home I'll usually have it hooked up to the external monitor, and some occasional lap use

So I guess really it's a question of how often I forsee taking my laptop out and about - working from cafes, etc
    (I live in NYC, so it'd be carrying it around and whatnot)

But I already commute with my work m1 pro, am I really gonna have situations where I am taking my personal laptop out and about a lot? Is the lightness worth the difference in ports and screen?

I dunnooooo decisions

One of the differences also worth mentioning is that the M1 and M2 Air products (really any core Mx processor that doesn’t have a moniker like max or ultra) only supports one external display.

I find myself not wanting an M2 air for that reason alone - I have no idea what my workspace is going to be in the next few years but driving more than one display feels likely.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Lol I decided on Pro for personal computer cuz it’d spend 95% of time in my apt and mostly on my desk so why not better screen and ports (and the Pros are on sale places rn)

But I really wish my work one was an Air and not the Pro cuz that’s the one I commute with since I’m commuting again and need to carry to meeting rooms and stuff, lol damn
    (especially since either would be plenty computationally capable) - and the pro charging brick adds a lot of weight in my bag too
    And the work computer is the one I’d be more likely to take out to a cafe to do work with

Smh, ironic I guess

poo
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Lol I decided on Pro for personal computer cuz it’d spend 95% of time in my apt and mostly on my desk so why not better screen and ports (and the Pros are on sale places rn)

But I really wish my work one was an Air and not the Pro cuz that’s the one I commute with since I’m commuting again and need to carry to meeting rooms and stuff, lol damn
    (especially since either would be plenty computationally capable) - and the pro charging brick adds a lot of weight in my bag too
    And the work computer is the one I’d be more likely to take out to a cafe to do work with

Smh, ironic I guess

If you don't like the bulk/weight of the apple charger, just buy any USB-C charger with sufficient wattage and it'll work, even with the magsafe cable. I can almost promise you that a 3rd party one of similar wattage will be smaller and lighter than Apple's. Or buy a more capable one with similar dimensions.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

Smh, ironic I guess

If you don't like the bulk/weight of the apple charger, just buy any USB-C charger with sufficient wattage and it'll work, even with the magsafe cable. I can almost promise you that a 3rd party one of similar wattage will be smaller and lighter than Apple's. Or buy a more capable one with similar dimensions.

I travel with one of my old lenovo usb-chargers for my work mbp and it works great. That way I can charge everything else--backup battery, steamdeck or switch, ipad--all with the same charger and only need to carry one

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options

Smh, ironic I guess

Yeah def
    I can also probably leave the brick in the office and hope no one takes it and travel with a smaller GAN one and the cable def

The air would be nice for picking up one handed lol

Also the air is much more appropriate weight for tote bags and the like, I still feel I prefer a backpack for the pro (which is fine)

Anyway, purchase made

Silver for personal
    Space grey for work

poo
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    The Monterey update seems to have borked my wife's air something fierce. Update crashed part way through and left her account in a broken update loop. Everytime you logged in it would immediately try to finish the update and then crash.

- recovery console would load, First Aid says the disk is fine, but Install MacOS wouldn't locate her drive to install it on
    - I fired up the roll back recovery console and was able to get it to reinstall Mojave but now it just crashes on login. Fills maybe 1/10th of the login bar, spins up the fan and then restarts
    - Disk Utility still says the drive is good
    - I can't get it to boot into safe mode, seems to just ignore me holding the shift key
    - if I boot into the standard recovery console it still thinks it's on Monterey and Install MacOS still won't see her drive.

She doesn't have a time machine backup so unfortunately reverting to that is out. Any trouble shooting ideas?

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    The Monterey update seems to have borked my wife's air something fierce. Update crashed part way through and left her account in a broken update loop. Everytime you logged in it would immediately try to finish the update and then crash.

- recovery console would load, First Aid says the disk is fine, but Install MacOS wouldn't locate her drive to install it on
    - I fired up the roll back recovery console and was able to get it to reinstall Mojave but now it just crashes on login. Fills maybe 1/10th of the login bar, spins up the fan and then restarts
    - I can't get it to boot into safe mode, seems to just ignore me holding the shift key
    - if I boot into the standard recovery console it still thinks it's on Monterey and Install MacOS still won't see her drive.

She doesn't have a time machine backup so unfortunately reverting to that is out. Any trouble shooting ideas?

I'd google exhaustively to see if you can find a solution to repair the OS install from Recovery, but if you can't then you might try installing macOS on a USB flash drive and booting her Air from that. That might give you more repair options and also access to her files so that you can back them up before do something drastic.

In a similar vein, you could also try getting her Air into Target Disk Mode (or turn on Recovery's file sharing for it, if her Air is Apple Silicon) to get her files off of it. I think that Recovery file sharing might even let you copy her files to a non-Mac, if that's all you have.

Whatever you try, a last step (or last resort) that should always work is to boot it from a flash drive, reformat its internal drive, and reinstall macOS.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    Carpy wrote: »

I'd google exhaustively to see if you can find a solution to repair the OS install from Recovery, but if you can't then you might try installing macOS on a USB flash drive and booting her Air from that. That might give you more repair options and also access to her files so that you can back them up before do something drastic.

In a similar vein, you could also try getting her Air into Target Disk Mode (or turn on Recovery's file sharing for it, if her Air is Apple Silicon) to get her files off of it. I think that Recovery file sharing might even let you copy her files to a non-Mac, if that's all you have.

Whatever you try, a last step (or last resort) that should always work is to boot it from a flash drive, reformat its internal drive, and reinstall macOS.

I ended up manually mounting the drive in Recovery's disk utility which let the Recovery Monterey installer see the drive and 2.5 hours later it seems to be up and running fine. :Rotate:

Gonna grab her a backup drive this weekend so hopefully I can avoid dropping a half day on computers being dumb

• Options
    Finally got my Magic Trackpad to replace the absolutely execrable Magic Mouse. I hated it after an hour and hated it more and more over the course of a couple of weeks. The only positive was that I never had to charge it.

Be better, apple.

But the trackpad is, predictably, awesome. Except for (like with the mouse and keyboard) bafflingly being charged via lightning instead of just usb-C.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    Finally got my Magic Trackpad to replace the absolutely execrable Magic Mouse. I hated it after an hour and hated it more and more over the course of a couple of weeks. The only positive was that I never had to charge it.

Be better, apple.

But the trackpad is, predictably, awesome. Except for (like with the mouse and keyboard) bafflingly being charged via lightning instead of just usb-C.

Neither one has had a design refresh in at least five years, maybe longer. Was USB-C even a thing back then?

Anyway yeah, time for a refresh; do you think there’s market share in a Qi-charged mouse?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Be better, apple.

Neither one has had a design refresh in at least five years, maybe longer. Was USB-C even a thing back then?

Anyway yeah, time for a refresh; do you think there’s market share in a Qi-charged mouse?

Logitech already makes mice that have wireless charging, and charge off of a mousepad with a charging coil in it. So plug the mouse pad in and you have a wireless mouse that is literally always charged.

And UB-C has been a thing since about 2016.

I like the Magic Trackpad quite a bit and actually use one with my iPad occasionally, but what keeps me from using a trackpad of any kind full time is the fact that they are extremely unergonomic and I don't want RSI or carpel tunnel.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular

Be better, apple.

Logitech already makes mice that have wireless charging, and charge off of a mousepad with a charging coil in it. So plug the mouse pad in and you have a wireless mouse that is literally always charged.

I like the Magic Trackpad quite a bit and actually use one with my iPad occasionally, but what keeps me from using a trackpad of any kind full time is the fact that they are extremely unergonomic and I don't want RSI or carpel tunnel.

This. I used a trackpad for a month or so, and while I loved the functionality, my hand couldn't take it. I've gotten very used to the mouse though.

What I really miss is my trackball from way back in the (pre-USB) days. There was just something about the size of it that fit my hand really well.
    416QW07ZHKL._AC_.jpg

Huh...
  • Options
    Logitech still makes trackball mice, and the new ones have all the good wireless connectivity of modern peripherals. I've tried trackballs but I just can't get used to it I just go with more ergonimic mice.

My favorite moue ever is one I wish Microsoft would remake with Bluetooth, the Sculpt Ergonomic. The thing was basically baseball shaped with a cutout for where your thumb goes. I loved it. But it uses a proprietary USB-A dongle that doesn't talk to anything else. Image below is kind of big so I spoilered it.
    vdr5i1oiyu2t.png

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    FF wrote: »

Be better, apple.

This. I used a trackpad for a month or so, and while I loved the functionality, my hand couldn't take it. I've gotten very used to the mouse though.

What I really miss is my trackball from way back in the (pre-USB) days. There was just something about the size of it that fit my hand really well.
    416QW07ZHKL._AC_.jpg

If you still want to use a trackball Logitech, Elecom, and Kensington still make them. Logitech are thumb ball only, but Elecom and Kensington do have models similar to the Orbit. I occasionally use an Elecom Deft Pro when I have some wrist pain from using a mouse too much or just for fun. r/trackball is fairly active too.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    FF wrote: »

Be better, apple.

If you still want to use a trackball Logitech, Elecom, and Kensington still make them. Logitech are thumb ball only, but Elecom and Kensington do have models similar to the Orbit. I occasionally use an Elecom Deft Pro when I have some wrist pain from using a mouse too much or just for fun. r/trackball is fairly active too.

Yeah, I've tried some of the other and they just never felt the same. Old habits and all that, hah.

Huh...
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Weirdly the Magic Mouse works really comfortably for me, and the Trackpad is better for my arm than a normal mouse. Bodies are weird, man.

• Options
    Tempted to build a wedge-shaped rest to use the trackpad on its side, like an ergo mouse…

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    With the M1 architecture, is it still possible to load Windows to a Macbook Pro? Looks like there is a Windows Arm edition but most reviews are using it as a virtual machine. I'm also curious if gaming wouldn't work even if you can install Windows 11.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    With the M1 architecture, is it still possible to load Windows to a Macbook Pro? Looks like there is a Windows Arm edition but most reviews are using it as a virtual machine. I'm also curious if gaming wouldn't work even if you can install Windows 11.

Yes and no. The short answer is no, but the long answer is sort of. As of right now, the M-class architecture would support the ARM version of Windows, but only if Microsoft okays it, and they haven't. Yet, even if it could run the ARM version of Windows, gaming is no guarantee, since Microsoft hasn't done much in the vein of getting games to work on their own ARM version of Windows.

People have gotten PC games to run on Macs via emulation, and while it's surprising that it runs at all—and even half decently—speaks highly of the M-class architecture, it's still not as performant as, say, running games in Windows on Boot Camp.

Maybe another way around it is to piggyback off the work that the SteamDeck is doing to get PC games to work on Linux, but getting Linux to a place where non-tinkerers can install and maintain on Macs is still a ways off.

KPC on
  • Options
    https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover#mac is pretty similar to the Proton solution Steam's using, as of last time I looked. It's definitely not perfect--and Proton's better as I recall--but this just installs.

I've used an older version, the only real issue you run into is compatibility of the software with the WINE layer, but it does a lot of things pretty well.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    KPC wrote: »
    Trajan45 wrote: »

Yes and no. The short answer is no, but the long answer is sort of. As of right now, the M-class architecture would support the ARM version of Windows, but only if Microsoft okays it, and they haven't. Yet, even if it could run the ARM version of Windows, gaming is no guarantee, since Microsoft hasn't done much in the vein of getting games to work on their own ARM version of Windows.

People have gotten PC games to run on Macs via emulation, and while it's surprising that it runs at all—and even half decently—speaks highly of the M-class architecture, it's still not as performant as, say, running games in Windows on Boot Camp.

Maybe another way around it is to piggyback off the work that the SteamDeck is doing to get PC games to work on Linux, but getting Linux to a place where non-tinkerers can install and maintain on Macs is still a ways off.

Thanks. Laptop shopping and it's a rough market right now. I know macbooks are always top of the pack for build and screens, but wasn't sure with the new architecture. Thanks.

EDIT: It still blows my mind that Apple's laptops are still so far ahead of other laptops.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Seems like the M1 MBP designs are a big "fuck you" to self-repair even as Apple tries to tout their "Right to Self Repair" initiatives.
    ...it’s not 162 pages because Apple has changed where batteries sit in the MacBook Pro. It’s that long because the manual says that to replace the battery, you’ve got to replace the entire top case. At the time of writing, Apple will not sell you a replacement MacBook Pro battery. They sell you a “Top Case with Battery and Keyboard.” And so their guide has you remove literally every component from the top case. The laptop is built on the top case, so to get to it, you’ve got to demanufacture the whole thing.

Now if a “Top Case with Battery and Keyboard” that a laptop is literally built into sounds expensive to you, it is! It costs more than 500 bucks—with an $88 core return it’ll run you $439. That’s about 30-50% of the cost of a brand new MacBook.

(source: https://www.ifixit.com/News/64072/apples-self-repair-program-manages-to-make-macbooks-seem-less-repairable)

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I don’t disagree at all, but in what world does $439 come to 50% of the cost of a brand new MacBook Pro?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    I don’t disagree at all, but in what world does $439 come to 50% of the cost of a brand new MacBook Pro?

Yah the 50% number is suspect for sure given that the 13" starts at ~$1299.

I gave it a pass initially because I'm floored - as I have just recently had to replace a failing/bloated battery on a 15" MBP - and this news that if I wanted to upgrade to the M-series processors will make this harder sent me up the flagpole.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    The big issue is that those battery replacements fucking suck even if Apple let you do them. It’s a solid couple hours of work for most folks, and you’re dealing with acetone, adhesive, and pulling an uncooperative battery out of a tight space, which means you also need to have a bucket of thermal sand handy. It’s just a LOT to ask of anyone to do on their own, so I understand why they think it’s safer and easier to just call it a total topcase/battery swap. I agree with that 100%.

What I don’t agree with is actually designing it so that this is the best/only reasonable option for a repair.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    The big issue is that those battery replacements fucking suck even if Apple let you do them. It’s a solid couple hours of work for most folks, and you’re dealing with acetone, adhesive, and pulling an uncooperative battery out of a tight space, which means you also need to have a bucket of thermal sand handy. It’s just a LOT to ask of anyone to do on their own, so I understand why they think it’s safer and easier to just call it a total topcase/battery swap. I agree with that 100%.

What I don’t agree with is actually designing it so that this is the best/only reasonable option for a repair.

To the bolded, yah, it sucks that the design is going the way of the smart phones/iPhone and makes battery replacement a bigger pain in the butt (the MBP battery I replaced wasn't a walk in the park either, but it wasn't 126 pages of instructions worth).

• Options
    So I’ve been living with an M1 MacBook Pro as my work machine for a little while yet and it’s been mostly great. My biggest gripes are

1. The MS apps are fine but not perfect. That’s an MS issue, though and I’m able to do everything I need.
    2. I would trade one USB-C port for a USB-A port just for charging things.
    3. I really, really really miss having a built-in SIM. Being able to just open and go without having to tether or find WiFi was so convenient.

Otherwise, it’s great

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    What's the cheapest thing I can buy that will give me access to current macos? I really just want imessage on desktop and a web browser for email & etc. An older refurbished mac mini?

• Options
    august wrote: »
    What's the cheapest thing I can buy that will give me access to current macos? I really just want imessage on desktop and a web browser for email & etc. An older refurbished mac mini?

refurb store or ebay, yes. At this point I would not buy anything that's not an M1 or M2.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    august wrote: »

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac

Mac mini M1 with 8GB of ram is 589 bucks refurbished direct from apple (they treat this as a new Mac purchase for the purposes of warranty, AppleCare, etc).

The 16GB version is 759, but for what you described you might not need it? 8GB is a bit more than you think on this architecture, and if all you want it for is web and iMessage 8 will be enough.

Any desire to do more I would pay for the 16GB. Less than 200 bucks for a lot of future proofing and software options.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Hot take: Apple should make a trackpad with a TouchID sensor in one corner.

I use a bluetooth non-Apple keyboard and I have my Macbook closed and docked. Make life easier for me!

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Echo wrote: »

I use a bluetooth non-Apple keyboard and I have my Macbook closed and docked. Make life easier for me!

Gotta take an angle grinder to that bottom right corner of the screen man. Then you can reach it with the lid closed!

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options

Apple Watch. Sorted! (Well last I checked, anyway. And I don't remember how it worked. But I remember being mad I couldn't do it.)

• Options
    Would love for the Watch to get a through-screen fingerprint sensor, or maybe one on the side button like the iPad Pros do these days, for the next gen.

• Options
    If you pair your apple watch with your mac, it can unlock the mac through proximity, and you can double tap the side button for system security prompts.

It's mostly fine. Face ID or Touch ID would be more seamless though.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2023
    People have removed the TouchID sensor from one of Apple’s wireless keyboards. Then, you can stick it into some sort of enclosure (e.g., a 3d printed one).

See here.

physi_marc on
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    If you pair your apple watch with your mac, it can unlock the mac through proximity, and you can double tap the side button for system security prompts.

It's mostly fine. Face ID or Touch ID would be more seamless though.

Ooh yeah, I tried that a while, but I didn’t want to do the proximity unlock when I was at the office. maybe I’ll test it again.

• Options
    Right, now I remembered the second reason why I stopped using it: I have multiple computers at the desk and I got tired of unintentionally unlocking stuff when I happened to nudge the touchpad while using a mouse.

• Options
    Right, now I remembered the second reason why I stopped using it: I have multiple computers at the desk and I got tired of unintentionally unlocking stuff when I happened to nudge the touchpad while using a mouse.

You live a very difficult life.