Options

[Assassin's Creed] Codename Red = Ass Shadows | Trailer 5/15, 9am PT|12pm ET|5pm BST

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Cheers. I have to say that after Origins I've been more and more put off by the sprawling 'contentness' of these games; if there's a more focused slice of Assassin's Creed, I'll gladly give it a try, but anything that comes with an announcement of "x dozen hours of content!!!" tends to make my eyes glaze over these days, which is why I'm wary. Which is a shame, because I used to really like the AC games, in spite of their flaws.

Yeah it's why I'm avoiding Dying Light 2 since their press releases kept talking about how long the game was.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    That one I'm more interested in because of the more involved parkour; give me fun traversal mechanisms and solid world design and I'll happily play post-apocalyptic Mirror's Edge. But yeah, that press release made me roll my eyes further than should be anatomically possible.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    There’s something super weird about that piece of art, it’s just a weirdly dull and incongruous image and framing

Having said that the idea of going back to a smaller, single city game without the rpg stuff is hugely exciting for me and I hope they keep making those alongside their infinite gaas idea because I know that would be exhausting to play if it were the only type of assassins creed game going forward

Prohass on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I’ve wanted a game back in the middle east for a while so I am pretty good with this.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Mirage looks like it has a lot of potential. I'm already more interested than I ever was in Valhalla.

But I want a Thirty Years' War game. Nobody ever covers it, so pretty much the exact opposite as vikings. The tech level, length, and huge number of historical figures are perfect for the franchise's milieu. Like, imagine assassinating Cardinal Richlieu after hanging out with the Three Musketeers—all of whom would be Assassin's, of course.

• Options
    I want an Aztec protagonist against conquistadors, mainly because I feel like a jungle setting would offer a whole new approach to traversal with like swinging and hiding in the canopy

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I want an Aztec protagonist against conquistadors, mainly because I feel like a jungle setting would offer a whole new approach to traversal with like swinging and hiding in the canopy

A Central/South American game would be very cool

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    They have even already established the existence in AC4 of Central American Assassins.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    There’s something super weird about that piece of art, it’s just a weirdly dull and incongruous image and framing
    If you take out the leaping assassin, that could be the cover of a Spiel des Jahres winner.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    A return to the middle east would be cool.

I still also want to see them do a Remake+ where they take AC1, keep the story the same, but expand the size of the gameworld, and add a bunch more side content and activities. So it would be a remake with more content than exists in the original. At the very least, if they don't do that, they need to at least do a port and maybe a remaster to bring AC1 to modern gen. AC1 I'm pretty sure is the only game in the series that is trapped on PS3/360 era hardware.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I still also want to see them do a Remake+ where they take AC1, keep the story the same, but expand the size of the gameworld, and add a bunch more side content and activities. So it would be a remake with more content than exists in the original. At the very least, if they don't do that, they need to at least do a port and maybe a remaster to bring AC1 to modern gen. AC1 I'm pretty sure is the only game in the series that is trapped on PS3/360 era hardware.
    Honestly, that's the last I would want. I've long found the AC side content to be pretty shallow - which I think is okay, as long the game doesn't overstay its welcome, but with an 80+ hour game? I feel burnt out just by thinking about it.

Other than that, though, there have been a bunch of rumours that AC1 will be done as a season pass DLC for Mirage

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    A return to the middle east would be cool.

No, it isn't trapped, you can play it BC on the current Xbox (probably there's a version on Ps5, but I don't keep track of that as well).

• Options
    The only way it would be available on PS5 would be as a PS Now streaming option. And I don't consider that a real option. (I also have not checked to see if AC1 is in the PS Now game library or not).

• Options
    A remaster or remake of the original game is rumoured to be part of this games season pass

• Options
    A remaster or remake of the original game is rumoured to be part of this games season pass

Nice if true. And that's definitely a realistic possibility. The season pass for FarCry 6 included a remaster of FC3. So there's already a precedent set by Ubisoft for doing something like that.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I'm still looking forward to an AC in Japan, but it's got real big expectations after Ghost of Tsushima.

They just dragged their feet for so long on the setting someone beat them to it.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Geez I thought they were taking a couple years off to make the games good again. Turns out they were taking the time off to overly saturate the series even worse than it was.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Geez I thought they were taking a couple years off to make the games good again. Turns out they were taking the time off to overly saturate the series even worse than it was.

These games are scheduled for release over the next ~4 years, which is a somewhat higher concentration than we've had for a bit but not the highest it's ever been.

Andy Joe on
  • Options
    Also if they release different types of games, ie not every one is a massive rpg like the last 3, it will be enough variety for me

I hope they’ve got an interesting take on the Japanese setting though, because yeah ghost of Tsushima ate their lunch there. Maybe something more modern, like a The Last Samurai kind of setting where you’re fighting against modern army troops,or hyper focussed on some unique aspect.

• Options
    including the two main games in Infinity

So we know Mirage is a standalone game that is supposedly going back to the series' roots as more of a stealth/parkour game. And we know Infinity is their attempt to turn AC into a live service and grift their playerbase for as much money as they can through micros, battlepasses, expansion passes, a la carte store items, and any other passes they can think of. We don't know any solid fact details about Infinity yet, but I think we can make some reasonable assumptions, based on the live service business model used by other live services.

When Schreier says "two main games in Infinity" I assume he means the first two campaigns. Infinity itself is the game. So I think his wording was just a bit awkward. We know through rumors and leaks that they want to have multiple settings in Infinity and continually add more campaigns over time. I believe there's supposed to be some sort of hub area where you can go to different time periods and so forth to do your assassining. So when Schreier says Japan and Holy Roman Empire, my read of that is those will be the first two areas of their ever-expanding live service gameworld.

Which is fine. I don't inherently hate live services. What I hate is the greed that always gets attached to them as a byproduct. But just the concept of an ever-growing game that is regularly supported through patches, seasonal content, and regular injections of new missions and activities is a fine idea.

Long story short, I don't think they're about to saturate us with a ton of new content. Really, we've only seen two games in these leaks so far. Mirage and Infinity.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    All of the games they're talking about sound fantastic, particularly the Japan and Witchy ones. I'm hoping one of these games is more akin to AC of old, especially if it is just focusing on an incredibly dense city. The huge open worlds of the Layla Trilogy (I'm assuming this story is finished as I've not actually finished any of these games despite putting hundreds of hours into them) are fun to fart around in, but something more lived in (like a Ye Olde Englishy city) would be just my jam.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    The 3 modern ACs are on sale this week on PSN.
    https://store.playstation.com/en-us/category/b8a9f016-7f9d-483d-ad1a-5817a5447294/1

I snagged the Ragnarok expansion for ACV because I haven't picked it up yet, and 50% off is a pretty reasonable price for what I understand to be a substantially large bit of DLC.

Good chance for folks to pick up Origins or Odyssey if they haven't played those yet.

• Options
    If you have a ps5 odyssey and origins are also 60fps and look fantastic.

I haven’t seen ragnarok on sale before for that level of discount, I will probably pick it up and maybe odyssey season pass. Though likely I will play each for like an hour and then keep playing elden ring and warhammer 3.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'm shocked they're finally, actually doing a Japan set game, and it's exactly what people seemed to have asked for in that it's a ninja game

Wow

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Going full on Ninja was the smart play. Lets them be different to Ghost of Tsushima which did the samurai gameplay so well.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    If the end of the trailer for Mirage means what I think it means, I might be interested.

• Options
    Almost everything about the AC portion of the event was very exciting. The only thing I didn’t like was the announcement of the mobile game.

ACing about in ancient China, and parkouring over the Great Wall sounds freaking awesome and it’s such a waste to put that on mobile. Mobile automatically means it will be an inferior, watered down game. Plus MTX galore and greed abounding. Sigh. Fuck mobile games.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Almost everything about the AC portion of the event was very exciting. The only thing I didn’t like was the announcement of the mobile game.

ACing about in ancient China, and parkouring over the Great Wall sounds freaking awesome and it’s such a waste to put that on mobile. Mobile automatically means it will be an inferior, watered down game. Plus MTX galore and greed abounding. Sigh. Fuck mobile games.

I was extremely excited for Project Jade until it said "mobile." Talk about a missed opportunity.

• Options
    Yeah I always thought a Assassins creed set around the fall of the Mongols and rise of the Ming dynasty would be good. They even have the built in conspiracy theories and secret societies to work with, with the Red Turbans, White Lotus Society, etc.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Assassins creed for me is in a "you have to prove to me this is worth playing" because while Origins was a fantastic reboot, the two follow ups have been so under whelming and bloated to shit and back.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Wow. I mean more power to you Preacher but Odyssey was sooo good. Was easily my game of the year that year. Valhalla I agree was a let down. Mainly due to the combat losing it's fluidity and the story of the game never actually ending.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    See I hated Odyssey. It was full of nothing, just a ton of ubisoft dots that became so boring and the DLC was like worse with each iteration.

Origins nailed a focused story with a clear objective. Odyssey felt like "Sail around do some boring shit and get a bunch of samey loot."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I guess I just approached it a different way. Egypt and ancient Greece are really interesting to me as subjects so I had a blast just seeing the sights and murdering people. I think the cult was a bit samey in terms of hunting them down but I liked the combat, I found skills that worked and weapon styles that suited me and I went to town. It also helped me that the character is a demigod of sorts so being able to jump off high cliffs and take no damage (eventually) really helped. I didn't really do the DLC. I can't say it grabbed me.

Anyway, yes Valhalla was a let down.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Figures I would be too much of a coward to pull the trigger on the recent AC Valhalla sales (played it but only through sub) despite knowing I would be hyped from all this. Malaka!

Pretty happy about the announcement of Red and Hexe. Its about damn time we got Japan.

Good to hear its from the Odd team, probably the best game since Black Flag.

<3 Cassandra.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    See I hated Odyssey. It was full of nothing, just a ton of ubisoft dots that became so boring and the DLC was like worse with each iteration.

Origins nailed a focused story with a clear objective. Odyssey felt like "Sail around do some boring shit and get a bunch of samey loot."

Valhalla turned those "dots" into actual dots and was so much better for it. Turning events from specific tasks into general event types short circuits the anxiety that I get from looking at most AC maps.

• Options
    Odyssey took the fantastic groundwork laid by Origins and bloated the shit out of it.

Their response wasn't to improve on what Origins did - IMO it went backwards in some ways. Mercenaries replaced Phylakes, but weren't nearly as scary. Tombs all felt the same. They got rid of the travelling caravans of materials for War Camps, which was just another type of fort to take down with less people. Forts themselves were fewer in Origins, but felt better to take down.

Oydsseys approach was to streamline the amount of different content there was, but then just keep adding more and more and more of it.

I still enjoyed it, but Origins was better. If only they let you play as Aya.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Origins was pretty bad, especially the combat. I would honestly never replay it.

Have a lot of good memories of Odd though, felt like the characters had actual personality and charm, aswell as the story and setting being more interesting. Cassandra had a lot of skills that were actually pretty cool and fun to use.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I liked both Origins and Oddysey!