As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Stadioid

2»

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    hibryd7 wrote: »
    What makes it really sad is that the people who wrote this strip and most of the people who read it know better by now through the example of age. You're in your forties, you've got a career and a family. Are you preening over fucking ps1 save files in your evenings off? Were you even doing that in your 30's? How about 2 fucking days after you completed it? Name one thing you've ever done on a video game that you went back and referenced later in your life at some point like it was a photo from your childhood or a W-2 form.

FYI: I still have two cases of NES games, I regularly play old PC games from the 80's and 90's, spin up PS1 and PS2 games, and I even still dig out my old XBox 360 from time to time.

I realize Stadia is built on Games as a Service, or even Games as a Consumable, where you are constantly moving onto the new flavor of the week. But all those things you're all "Pssssh, how many of you actually do that? Fucking negative nancies!" Well, here's me raising my hand. Yeah, a lot of games are forgettable. I'll never go back and touch Lionheart as long as I live, or Enchanted Arms, or Timelapse. But I have a significant catalog I've held onto over 30 years of gaming at this point that I'm glad I still have access too. Especially as the market moves further and further away from my tastes.

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    My UHD TV is hooked to my Switch, my PS4 Pro... and my ols SNES. Because those games were amazing, a huge part of my childhood, and for as long as it'll work, I'll play them on the original hardware.

Some people say games are services, or consumables. Maybe some games, for some people. To me they are also memories, experiences, and products that you own.

Yes, I "own" some digital games that could just vanish with the platform. But I also have a couch, a TV, and some consoles with physical games. Because that's "playing videogames" as I remember and love it.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Google did "abandon" a ton of shit, but except for Wave almost all of those things were projects that had the good bits ported over to what's now the g-suite platform.

I think someone's reference to gmail was a more apt comparison. I'm about as worried that I'd completely lose access to all my paid for Stadia content as I am that I'd lose access to my e-mails. They might stop calling it Stadia, or integrate it with some other service, or whatever, but I am not particularly concerned that content I buy on the Stadia platform will cease to exist in the next decade.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    InvertinInvertin Registered User regular
    I also like the people acting like the only options are "digital streaming" or "physical copies" and using anti-physical copy arguments to prove streaming is fine.

Because nobody downloads games I guess. There isn't a big fucking market built entirely around that or anything.

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    The only point made in this strip worth entertaining is contained in the last panel, and its basically what everyone was saying about Steam when it first came out.

What makes it really sad is that the people who wrote this strip and most of the people who read it know better by now through the example of age. You're in your forties, you've got a career and a family. Are you preening over fucking ps1 save files in your evenings off? Were you even doing that in your 30's? How about 2 fucking days after you completed it? Name one thing you've ever done on a video game that you went back and referenced later in your life at some point like it was a photo from your childhood or a W-2 form.

The only reason people don't already use Stadia is that it hasn't existed yet. And I don't think it's going to destroy current models.

It just pisses me off that every time something nice comes along, people go through this process of thinking, "Oh! Yeah, that could be cool! But of course there's still BLUUUUUUUUUUUGH ALL THAT OTHER OLD SHIT THAT IM SO LOYAL TO. BLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH I'M GOING TO GO COMPLAIN ON THE INTERNET BECAUSE I'M SPOILED AND XENOPHOBIC BLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH."

What does being skeptical about a video game service have to do with xenophobia? I'm genuinely curious, you seemingly jumped to a very strange conclusion.

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Zomro wrote: »
    The only point made in this strip worth entertaining is contained in the last panel, and its basically what everyone was saying about Steam when it first came out.

The only reason people don't already use Stadia is that it hasn't existed yet. And I don't think it's going to destroy current models.

It just pisses me off that every time something nice comes along, people go through this process of thinking, "Oh! Yeah, that could be cool! But of course there's still BLUUUUUUUUUUUGH ALL THAT OTHER OLD SHIT THAT IM SO LOYAL TO. BLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH I'M GOING TO GO COMPLAIN ON THE INTERNET BECAUSE I'M SPOILED AND XENOPHOBIC BLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH."

What does being skeptical about a video game service have to do with xenophobia? I'm genuinely curious, you seemingly jumped to a very strange conclusion.

I was wondering that too. The only conclusion I could reach was that they were trying to be clever by acting like different platforms were different countries. Thus people are xenophobic because they distrust video games from other platforms...

MarcinMN on
    "It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Focusing on this because I keep hearing it said, and it sounds very true, but I went looking for a Stadia-like response to Steam in old articles, comment sections, and forum threads and came up empty.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    There's also a difference because if Steam went away, it'd mean Valve was dead. I feel pretty confident some other company would step in and buy the business from their creditors, or at least the customer accounts and licensing rights to convert to their own digital storefront. And in that situation Valve wouldn't be in a position to refuse. Meanwhile, any offline single player games you owned should still run just fine (provided they're installed, or you've backed up the SteamApps folder while they were), you'd just need to put Steam into 'offline mode'.

If Google did choose to shut down Stadia and not make arrangements for those customers who had already bought stuff on it... that's all she wrote. They won't sell it to someone else, they won't bring it back, it really would just be gone. And since you aren't running things on local hardware, all of your library would be dead.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Invertin wrote: »
    I also like the people acting like the only options are "digital streaming" or "physical copies" and using anti-physical copy arguments to prove streaming is fine.

Because nobody downloads games I guess. There isn't a big fucking market built entirely around that or anything.

We're not "acting like" anything. We've discussed steam earlier. The difference is that Valve doesn't have a track record of shutting down service after service. The only major thing I can recall is when they stopped making hardware, but none of that hardware stopped working or anything.

Google has some major credibility problems when it comes to its products' lifespan.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

We're not "acting like" anything. We've discussed steam earlier. The difference is that Valve doesn't have a track record of shutting down service after service. The only major thing I can recall is when they stopped making hardware, but none of that hardware stopped working or anything.

Google has some major credibility problems when it comes to its products' lifespan.

I think it's also worth discussing that when Steam was young, they discussed their "living will" so to speak, about how to maintain your library when there is no more steam. They also adopted the libraries of other defunct competitors in the early days.

Not only does Google have no such plan, but no such plan is even possible with their technical model.

• Options
    RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    Took about a year longer than I expected, but I think we all knew this was going to happen.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Between GamePass and the Playstation store and whatever it is Nintendo call their scheme, people already have multiple options to pay rent to access games they've bought.

Steam is free. They just make money by selling games, the end. I don't like needing a launcher and a portal, but by god I'm sure not going to pay for one as long as Steam exists.

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    So, Stadia is shutting down. Oh.

My 37 year old NES still works.

Djiem on
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Namrok wrote: »

I think it's also worth discussing that when Steam was young, they discussed their "living will" so to speak, about how to maintain your library when there is no more steam. They also adopted the libraries of other defunct competitors in the early days.

Not only does Google have no such plan, but no such plan is even possible with their technical model.

Rolling back to this response now that Stadia went poof, their plan was to refund everyone's money (both for software and hardware).

Which is good enough for most people, but is leaving some people with savegames in Stadia-specific version kind of high and dry. There's a lesson there. Especially when everyone said it would never last.

d25jjdpe9gij.png

dennis on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Alwayshasbeen.jpg

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular

Yuuuup. Sony has a similar issue if anyone remembers what happened with some of their MMO funding ventures, if a project didn't become a WoW killer, they would neglect it to death. Or their handheld market ventures, and this is coming from someone that bought a PSP and liked it.

Now I see things released by companies where I don't get full ownership/control over the product and refuse to buy unless it has a dominating market share because I know they'll just kill it off if it doesn't.