As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fitness and Weight Management] Let's crush some 2022 goals!

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    6hrs limit bouldering within the last 24hrs

So

Tireddddd

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Meaningless weight loss goal achieved:
    BMI under 25 :p

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    The whole LiverKing “scandal” got me thinking about supplements in general and what folks here thought of them and/or used themselves.

I take a multivitamin and some fishoil, mostly because I grew up doing this and it just habit. I honestly don’t know if either of them are really doing anything for me.

It seems like most supplements just give you expensive pee, but, I hear things like creatine actually help quite a bit? But I also hear it causes hair loss. Not sure how much either of those points are true though.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    The whole LiverKing “scandal” got me thinking about supplements in general and what folks here thought of them and/or used themselves.

I take a multivitamin and some fishoil, mostly because I grew up doing this and it just habit. I honestly don’t know if either of them are really doing anything for me.

It seems like most supplements just give you expensive pee, but, I hear things like creatine actually help quite a bit? But I also hear it causes hair loss. Not sure how much either of those points are true though.

There's a pretty great Maintenance Phase on vitamins and my conclusion has been to be real goddamn careful about taking them because of the lack of regulation

Creatine is at least the single most studied supplement and does indeed have benefits

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Maybe not what you're looking for if you're thinking about lifting in particular, but I guess I'll answer. I take a bunch of stuff that's got at least some evidence of helping with depression, adhd, or aphthous ulcers, so a multivitamin and D and zinc and b complex and fish oil and l-tyrosine and ginkgo biloba.

I can feel a substantial difference when I'm taking all of it versus none of it, but I get like 70% of the value from just taking a decent dose of zinc to control my depression and gerd. I know the D and B12 help some, but shrug about the rest.

Something or some combination also drops my slightly high blood pressure like 10 points when I'm taking everything, which is probably good?

Kamar on
  • Options
    Cello wrote: »

There's a pretty great Maintenance Phase on vitamins and my conclusion has been to be real goddamn careful about taking them because of the lack of regulation

Creatine is at least the single most studied supplement and does indeed have benefits

Do you have the episode name handy? My Google queries don’t seem to be netting me the specific episode.
    Kamar wrote: »
    Maybe not what you're looking for if you're thinking about lifting in particular, but I guess I'll answer. I take a bunch of stuff that's got at least some evidence of helping with depression, adhd, or apthous ulcers, so a multivitamin and D and zinc and b complex and fish oil and l-tyrosine and ginkgo biloba.

I can feel a substantial difference when I'm taking all of it versus none of it, but I get like 70% of the value from just taking a decent dose of zinc to control my depression and gerd. I know the D and B12 help some, but shrug about the rest.

Something or some combination also drops my slightly high blood pressure like 10 points when I'm taking everything, which is probably good?

Doesn’t have to be weight lifting related, general health and well being is fair game to me! D and B12 are good callouts (and some I should check with my partner on, as she is vegetarian.)

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Forgot since it's not a pill, but I also supplement potassium since I'm terrible about getting enough from my diet and it's pretty important. Which definitely has an obvious measurable effect on blood pressure, but isn't the source of the drop I mentioned before.

• Options

Never heard of creatine causing hair loss

It definitely works though. Gives you a bit more in the 3-5 rep range

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I have fish allergies, so I get my omega-3 via ground flaxseed. I just put 25g per day in yogurt or oatmeal. It’s also a pretty good source of fibre. Technically it’s not a supplement, but I’m using it a bit like one, so I think that it fits the question.

I also use protein powder, which may or may not be a supplement depending on who you ask. I tend to really like the taste - it helps that the local supplement store has samples available of a lot of their most popular brands/flavours so I can give it a try before I buy, and not end up with over two kilos of something gross. At the moment, my protein powder of choice is BioX Mocha flavoured whey complex, which tastes like a Coffee Crisp chocolate bar to me. I’m also a fan of some of the Vega brand vegan powders; I like taking their peanut flavour and mixing with a regular chocolate powder for something that tastes a little like a peanut butter cup. The downside of the Vega stuff is that it’s messier, doesn’t mix as well, and is more of a pain to clean compared to whey. The Vega stuff is also unfortunately pricier than the whey.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

Do you have the episode name handy? My Google queries don’t seem to be netting me the specific episode.
    Kamar wrote: »
    Maybe not what you're looking for if you're thinking about lifting in particular, but I guess I'll answer. I take a bunch of stuff that's got at least some evidence of helping with depression, adhd, or apthous ulcers, so a multivitamin and D and zinc and b complex and fish oil and l-tyrosine and ginkgo biloba.

Doesn’t have to be weight lifting related, general health and well being is fair game to me! D and B12 are good callouts (and some I should check with my partner on, as she is vegetarian.)

Whoops, I gaslit myself on this one. I was actually thinking of Season 2 Ep 3 of The Dream (the first season was about MLMs, the second about the wellness industry). Still a solid episode and a reminder I should write Maintenance Phase and demand they do a vitamins and supplements episode too...

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Workout supplements particularly can be sketchy in terms of the weird shit that gets put in them. Meth analogs, testosterone prohormones. Also this is for America, idk how other countries regulate supplements.

Also creatine doesn't do anything for me except give me a little water bloat, but some people are just non-responders

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Workout supplements particularly can be sketchy in terms of the weird shit that gets put in them. Meth analogs, testosterone prohormones. Also this is for America, idk how other countries regulate supplements.

Also creatine doesn't do anything for me except give me a little water bloat, but some people are just non-responders

It always worked for me, but I always felt a bit off when I was taking it, even at half dose.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Just got out of my first Pilate class.

I went in thinking it was basically going to be more active yoga, since that's what it's been in workout videos I done at home.

First clue should have been that they made me sign a waiver.

We used those sled machines and the class KICKED. MY. ASS.

Didn't help that I had done my long run yesterday.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    yeah proper Pilates does not fuck around

• Options
    I’ve started working in some compound lifts before my climbing sessions.

Front squats are fun!

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I just got word that I'll finally be having my 20 year high school reunion next summer (was supposed to be in 2021 but well) and that seems like a pretty good concrete goal for me to try and get in shape for. I would love to lose ~50lbs by then, not sure that's realistic but I'm gonna make that my goal. I got my rowing machine and a couple kettle bells this week, but I ended up throwing my back out and I'm only just now feeling better. Hopefully I can properly get started later this week and finally start getting into a routine.

This kettle bell is heavy as shit, though! 35lbs is a lot heavier than I realized, damn.

• Options
    I just got word that I'll finally be having my 20 year high school reunion next summer (was supposed to be in 2021 but well) and that seems like a pretty good concrete goal for me to try and get in shape for. I would love to lose ~50lbs by then, not sure that's realistic but I'm gonna make that my goal. I got my rowing machine and a couple kettle bells this week, but I ended up throwing my back out and I'm only just now feeling better. Hopefully I can properly get started later this week and finally start getting into a routine.

This kettle bell is heavy as shit, though! 35lbs is a lot heavier than I realized, damn.

Assuming the reunion happens in July that gives you about 7 months, assuming 4 weeks per months, and going for the upper end of the recommended “safe” rate of losing 1-2lbs per week, that’s potentially 56 lbs.

So, it’s in the ballpark of doable but, I’d personally frame it as an “idealized goal” and not beat myself up if I didn’t reach it, but just be happy and celebrate any progress I made towards it. Also keep in mind that weight is just one part of health, you’ll also be building muscle, improving your cardiovascular system, etc.

And yeah, the 35lb bell takes some getting used to, what you exercises are you planning on doing with it? I can perhaps give some pointers.

• Options

Assuming the reunion happens in July that gives you about 7 months, assuming 4 weeks per months, and going for the upper end of the recommended “safe” rate of losing 1-2lbs per week, that’s potentially 56 lbs.

So, it’s in the ballpark of doable but, I’d personally frame it as an “idealized goal” and not beat myself up if I didn’t reach it, but just be happy and celebrate any progress I made towards it. Also keep in mind that weight is just one part of health, you’ll also be building muscle, improving your cardiovascular system, etc.

And yeah, the 35lb bell takes some getting used to, what you exercises are you planning on doing with it? I can perhaps give some pointers.

Yeah for sure, tbh my primary goal is to be able to better fit into the collection of suits I have, which will probably only need ~20-25lbs of weight loss.

As for exercises, I'm not sure yet! I've watched a couple starter vids, and at first I'd mainly like to find something that's good for strengthening my back while not putting it out of whack again.

• Options

Yeah for sure, tbh my primary goal is to be able to better fit into the collection of suits I have, which will probably only need ~20-25lbs of weight loss.

As for exercises, I'm not sure yet! I've watched a couple starter vids, and at first I'd mainly like to find something that's good for strengthening my back while not putting it out of whack again.

So, disclaimer that I am not a trainer or a physical therapist (though really if you have back concerns you may wish to consult with one before beginning on a new exercise venture).

But, for lower back you could consider something like hip-hinge practice (no weight) > two handed kettlebell deadlift > two handed kettlebell swing. Basically progressing from one to the next when you have your form down perfect.

For upper back you can look into halos and rows (though tbh I don’t do a ton of upper back work as climbing related stuff mostly covers that for me.)

• Options
    The deadlift and swing are two that I've seen pop up a bunch, so those definitely sound like winners.

And my back usually isn't much of an issue, it just flares up once or twice a year and it happened to pick this week. Mainly it's just me being too heavy and getting a bit of pain here and there thanks to that.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I cannot seem to get back into the gym.

Waking up at 3 am has been increasingly difficult for me lately and it feels like there's always something stopping me. Last night I woke up at 12:30 am exactly 4 hours after my nyquil wore off absolutely coughing my head off because I had the audacity to lay horizontally. Took me maybe an hour or more to stop and fall back asleep. When my alarm went off I just said nope not today I guess.

It's frustrating. Very, very frustrating.

• Options
    Juggernut wrote: »

Waking up at 3 am has been increasingly difficult for me lately and it feels like there's always something stopping me. Last night I woke up at 12:30 am exactly 4 hours after my nyquil wore off absolutely coughing my head off because I had the audacity to lay horizontally. Took me maybe an hour or more to stop and fall back asleep. When my alarm went off I just said nope not today I guess.

Ooph. Well, my understanding is that getting enough sleep is pretty much the absolute most important thing when it comes to health, the foundation that everything else rests on. So getting enough sleep rather than going to the gym is probably the right choice.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    For lower back you'll want to incorporate bird dogging, a lot of plank work (including laying on a yoga ball to roll forward so just your feet are on it and hold) and other general core exercises. Be very careful about lifting heavy if it's a concern area.

• Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »

Ooph. Well, my understanding is that getting enough sleep is pretty much the absolute most important thing when it comes to health, the foundation that everything else rests on. So getting enough sleep rather than going to the gym is probably the right choice.

The problem is I don't have enough time to go around so something has to get cut and usually it's sleep.

• Options
    In terms of benefits to time, I think deadlifting is the champ for back strength

Keep the weight reasonable and do small-ish sets with a real focus on form and it'll really help, especially the lower back

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    This is a ridiculous thing. The stones aren't the same weight, so carrying them like that has to be a nightmare, and I don't want to think about picking something up with ring handles like that, let along carry it that far.

https://www.youtube.com/BJlajoEHfDE

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Also fuck - square rings? What dickheads.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Did legs yesterday on the leg machines, except I skipped the leg press because last time I did it I tweaked my lower back a little bit, I think from going up in weight and my back was not quite ready for it. Also a sign I should start to strengthen my lower back again. Anyways, then I ran a half mile afterwards and anyone that says they like running or they feel good afterwards is a fucking liar. They're lying to you, they're lying to Our Dark Lord Satan, and most importantly they're lying to themselves.

I actually did pretty good considering I hadn't done any running in like a couple months. I had to walk a few sections because I kept getting a side stitch, but my muscles felt fine otherwise. I'm hoping those cramps go away eventually as I get more used to running and build my stamina, or maybe I just gotta learn how to breathe more slowly while running. I try to, like, take a slow breath in for three or four steps and exhale for three or four but I always reach a point where I start having to inhale on one step and exhale the next and then the cramps come shortly after.

So today the muscles on the inside of my thighs up by my groin are nice and sore, as is my butt (it's called DOMS, right?). Maybe the adductor/abductor machines are what did all that. I forget which machine does which, but y'all should know what I mean

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »
    Anyways, then I ran a half mile afterwards and anyone that says they like running or they feel good afterwards is a fucking liar. They're lying to you, they're lying to Our Dark Lord Satan, and most importantly they're lying to themselves.

Running is great. I went out last night intending to do ten kilometres but I felt so darn good so I did another seven kilometres. I stopped because the rain was making it hard to see, and even lit up like a Christmas tree I don’t like taking chances while running in the dark. There’s nothing like a good long run to feel refreshed in body and mind.

No, the real evil is weights. Not because they’re painful or anything, just because they’re so incredibly boring.

• Options
    I honestly never thought I'd see anyone say with true sincerity that lifting weights was more boring than running and I am quite entirely flabbergasted.

• Options
    All cardio sucks and is lame

-this post brought to you by the pebble wrestling gang

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    I honestly never thought I'd see anyone say with true sincerity that lifting weights was more boring than running and I am quite entirely flabbergasted.

Opinions, man.

While running, I’m basically doing mindful meditation. I’m thinking about my life, or my day, or the weather, or my plans, or thinking about a book that I’ve read, or thinking about how to decorate my place, or writing a book in my head, or something like that. And since the motion is the same, fully automatic, I don’t need to think about it. It’s peaceful, and the inside of my head is an interesting place for me. Or I can listen to a audiobook. With weight lifting, there’s no flow state like there is with running. There’s a lot of stop and start. I can’t hit that happy place inside my head, as the thing I’m doing keeps changing. And the need to pay attention to the motion, to keep count or reps, greatly reduces the amount I can get out of watching or listening to something while lifting. It’s like trying to play a video game during a meeting a work - I’m going to suffer at both.

Also, if I’m running, I’m outside seeing different places, seeing people and their dogs and what they’re doing with their places and I’m seeing trails and seeing the seasons change and all that stuff that’s fun for me. If I’m lifting, I’m probably at home, which I see all the time.

So yeah, sign me up for cardio, running or cycling. They’re great.

• Options
    I like lifting weights and cardio.

Both are prime audiobook and podcast time.

• Options
    Yeah lifting is not good thinking time but that's kinda the point for me, tuning my brain out and focusing on my body and on high energy music is where it's at. I like the focus on a short amount of intense work, I've never been able to get into a mental flow state with running (and for context's sake I did one round of Couch to 5k and the accompanying 5k, because I told my wife I would), I just get bored and hate it.

I'm also the farthest thing from built for running, my body's always liked going fast and hard but not for long (phrasing), so nothing's suited me better than lifting.

Obligatory Eric Bugenhagen video, saying lifting is boring, the very idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PIVJ3t9A24

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Cardio to me is less about working out and more about vacating my head and just not being a person for an hour

• Options
    I don't mind actual running but cardio machines are like torture to me. I hate having nothing to focus on, I get bored very easily if I'm not like, thinking about something or engaged?

Lifting gives me the perfect amount of mental and physical engagement because not only am I actively working my body I'm using my brain to keep track of like, 1000 different movements and stances and rep counts and how my body is feeling and whether I should go up the next set or drop down. It's like an optimization puzzle.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I used to enjoy running, once I got moving and had a mile behind me.

I should get back at it

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I like lifting weights and cardio.

Both are prime audiobook and podcast time.

See, I just listen to silence when I lift or do cardio. Music is too distracting, and I never could focus on audiobooks or podcasts even when I'm not doing something else.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yep, I'm someone that also finds lifting boring and love running.

I do strength training cause it benefits my climbing and running but always just hate it.

Hate is probably a strong word

• Options
    Maybe I am just a glutton for punishment but give me both weight lifting and cardio and I am a happy man. Especially in the same session.

My two favorite workout right now are:

Warm up walk > Barbell Lifting > Weighted Carries and Leg Raises > Climbing > Zone 2 stationary bike > Sauna

Warm up walk > Kettlebell Armor Building Complex > Weighted Carried and Abwheel > Rucking (walking with a 35lb backpack)

Though no joy for me right now, I had a cyst removed from my neck and right shoulder today, and I’m “not supposed to sweat” for the next two days.