As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Spaceflight] 100% more RUD but 50% fewer stoner memes

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Is that real or CG?

"Animation based on telemetry".

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Is that real or CG?

Mix. The title picture is CG, and there's CG illustrations of their telemetry data, but also video feeds.

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Is that real or CG?

Mix. The title picture is CG, and there's CG illustrations of their telemetry data, but also video feeds.

There was a "pale blue dot" pic from the solar panel wing camera, shortly after signal re-acquisition (coming back around the far side), that damn near brought me to tears.
    Unmanned test flight, sure, but we're actually doing this again.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    And if you scrub forward to around ~2h:40m in that video, I found a brief, neat shot from inside the cabin with the dummy astronaut, albeit not very well lit, of course.

Very cool to be able to fast forward through that video as the moon grows nearer and gradually takes up more of the screen. B) As much as I know, rationally, SLS is a mega-pork-barrel project, started by a couple of senators (one of whom IIRC, is no longer even alive), it's awe-inspiring imagery like that, that gives me hope for humanity's future. TBH after all the delays I half expected SLS to explode on the pad or soon after launch. I'm very happy to be proven wrong. :)

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    And if you scrub forward to around ~2h:40m in that video, I found a brief, neat shot from inside the cabin with the dummy astronaut, albeit not very well lit, of course.

Very cool to be able to fast forward through that video as the moon grows nearer and gradually takes up more of the screen. B) As much as I know, rationally, SLS is a mega-pork-barrel project, started by a couple of senators (one of whom IIRC, is no longer even alive), it's awe-inspiring imagery like that, that gives me hope for humanity's future. TBH after all the delays I half expected SLS to explode on the pad or soon after launch. I'm very happy to be proven wrong. :)

Pretty sure that violates the Grand Edict against Trace.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Man it's pretty neat up here, despite the fact that the interior of this bus smells terrible on account of the whole liverwurst situation.

Anyways how are all you folk doing back there on the ground?

Oh hold on, what's that???

Hello human-people. yes, it is. YOU. Traece.

Excise I, you would like moon Travel yes?

Home back month. Yeah! *slurrrrp*

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Phenomenal posting synergy

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    So… if a Mars rover gets washed away in a flash flood, does that count as a win or a loss?

I hope they bought flood insurance

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/europe-names-worlds-first-disabled-astronaut-2022-11-23/

Paralympic sprinter John McFall was named one of this years ESA astronaut recruits, the world's first disabled astronaut.

He will be heading up feasibility studies on earth. Most astronauts (especially from the ESA, who don't have their own launcher or a dedicated launch contract and get seats from NASA) never make it to space so it's likely he'll be remembered more for a future he helps enable than a future he takes part in, bit this is still a big deal.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, who here is surprised that SpaceX engaged in blatant age discrimination?
    John Johnson gave a detailed account of his experience with the alleged age discrimination in an essay published on the whistleblower site Lioness. He explains that he was hired at the age of 58 to work at SpaceX as a principal optics engineer. He stayed on from 2018 until 2022, when he chose to resign after nearly two years of watching his work duties diminish following his return after surgery for a back injury in 2020.

Johnson planned for the surgery well in advance, and even delayed having the procedure done in order to see the company through a “major milestone.” When he returned after missing a few days — again, after a back surgery — Johnson says the tasks he’d handed off to junior employees during his absence were not restored. Johnson says he voiced his concerns to his manager but despite his suspicious, he didn’t bring up age discrimination until an engineer casually mentioned his possible retirement or death:
    A few weeks later, the aforementioned manufacturing engineer said he’d now been assigned to “shadow me” to learn all aspects of optical metrology over the following two weeks. When I asked why, he answered that his Starlink manager had said I “might retire or die.” I was 61, with six more years to the standard retirement age, even if I was considering retiring—which I was not.

Nobody?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    In one thread or another, the Vulcan came up in relation to the Falcon 9/Heavy, and I think Hevach said the Vulcan was more capable. But everything I can find online suggests they should have similar lift capabilities? What (besides redundancy) will make Vulcan that much better than Falcon 9, considering it will probably cost a lot more to launch on?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    In one thread or another, the Vulcan came up in relation to the Falcon 9/Heavy, and I think Hevach said the Vulcan was more capable. But everything I can find online suggests they should have similar lift capabilities? What (besides redundancy) will make Vulcan that much better than Falcon 9, considering it will probably cost a lot more to launch on?

It doesn't have a screaming goose of a manchild attached to it?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    From what I can gather Falcon Heavy outperforms Vulcan for LEO and GTO launches. But FH still has a weirdly small faring and there could be edge cases where Vulcans much more efficient Centaur stage hydrolox engine gives it better performance for extremely high energy interplanetary missions where its payload has limited delta V of its own?

Or they could just be comparing non-expendable mission profiles vs Vulcans expendable profiles.

• Options
    Ok. I knew the fairing on the Falcon was less than ideal, I just wasn't sure how much of a difference it would make.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Two big things Vulcan has going for it:
    1) different launch platform from Falcon that uses completely different engines. Military/National Security like to have redundancy in launch providers, gives them options on the event either is grounded.

2) Vulcan has vertical payload integration.

• Options
    CornucopiistCornucopiist Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    The whole issue with the Vulcan Centaur is its BE-4 engines which are attached to litigious asshole Jeff Bezos.
    Blue Origin has a habit of under delivering and then using lawyers to challenge that perception. Engineering is not a prime focus and staff turnover is high. So, ideal as a backup…
    Also Vulcan Centaur uses solid boosters and is not recoverable?
    But it’s a military ship and so Bezos can wrangle pork barrel in other fields (databases) to make up for all the shortcomings. And he has lawyers!

Cornucopiist on
  • Options
    Seal wrote: »
    From what I can gather Falcon Heavy outperforms Vulcan for LEO and GTO launches. But FH still has a weirdly small faring and there could be edge cases where Vulcans much more efficient Centaur stage hydrolox engine gives it better performance for extremely high energy interplanetary missions where its payload has limited delta V of its own?

Or they could just be comparing non-expendable mission profiles vs Vulcans expendable profiles.

Comparing Vulcan to Falcon Heavy, it should be noted that Vulcan is capable of a common core heavy configuration, as well. However its original enabling bill was derived from Constellation's, and inherits some vestigial language that makes it unclear if the government can actually buy that setup. This configuration exceeds Falcon Heavy in most categories.

The base configuration still has some advantages, though. The Centaur is a *much* better upper stage than Falcon's, to the point that when Europa Clipper was taken off SLS, Atlas V could get it to Jupiter faster than even Falcon Heavy, but there were no Atlas Vs left to buy and the bill didn't allow a future rocket like Vulcan to be selected.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    The Starcraft themed 3d printing rocket company Relativity is getting pretty close to a maiden launch:
    https://youtu.be/Apz6zBoYkEU

I can't decide if the...texture of the outside is janky or futuristic.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    I lean towards janky. That's not exactly a negative point, though. India's whole lineup looks janky as hell but they're pretty reliable rockets. And look at how the Atlas V power slides off the pad because of its weird asymmetric SRB arrangements, which is janky itself and necessary due to the huge janky greebles sticking out the sides. And that's one of the most reliable rockets in the world. Visual jank isn't bad in rockets.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    I lean towards janky. That's not exactly a negative point, though. India's whole lineup looks janky as hell but they're pretty reliable rockets. And look at how the Atlas V power slides off the pad because of its weird asymmetric SRB arrangements, which is janky itself and necessary due to the huge janky greebles sticking out the sides. And that's one of the most reliable rockets in the world.

The Delta IV set itself on fire!

No one is going to top the powersliding Rocket Labs thing for a while though. Although maybe that one should be disqualified for wasting too much propellent while accidentally showing off
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2jU5W4ehPE

• Options
    Delta IV is definitely a poster child or rocket jank. Such a beautiful rocket with clean lines and smooth surfaces, no pipes or bits or bobs sticking out anywhere.

Then it turns on and farts a giant ball of fire all over itself, scorching the insulation and blowing off the fire shield that makes the engine nozzle look so clean.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    The Starcraft themed 3d printing rocket company Relativity is getting pretty close to a maiden launch:

I could take get thru the video. "Hey, did you know it's 3d printed? You know the rocket is 3d printed, right? These engines are also 3d printed. It's the largest 3d printed object."

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options

I could take get thru the video. "Hey, did you know it's 3d printed? You know the rocket is 3d printed, right? These engines are also 3d printed. It's the largest 3d printed object."

But does it NFT?!

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    The emphasis on that these days is just kind of weird. At this point you might as well be saying "this object was assembled" and it'd be about as exceptional.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    I take it as the opposite, honestly. There's at least three active smallsat launchers in the US boasting 3d printed launch engines, and none of them have a confidence inspiring track record.

It's a revolutionary technology for prototyping but still leaves room to be desired as a manufacturing process.

Hevach on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular

Their voice/speech pattern was way too uncanny valley for me, wasnt sure if I was listening to a person or a text-to-speech.

Its kinda cool they're 3D printing (almost) the whole thing though, but I know nothing about manufacturing or 3D printing so I'm just choosing to believe they're slow replicator-ing it.

• Options
    Now I'm imagining just starting with the bottom of the engine bell and printing the entire thing up to the tip of the nose cone, one line at a time.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Now I'm imagining just starting with the bottom of the engine bell and printing the entire thing up to the tip of the nose cone, one line at a time.

That would be amazing. Especially if you could toughen the printer up enough that it could be at the launchpad. Fire one off, immediately start working on the next one while the payload rolls out to be fitted.

Of course the problem with that is it takes them months to print one right now, if I remember correctly, so some speed improvements are indicated too.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Holy fuck.

Tim Dowd of Everyday Astronaut was selected as one of the Starship guest crew people who is gonna go around the moon.

I can't say I'm surprised, and of course I hope it's safe as hell for him.. but... just.. wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFIuzormhYU

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    They should also send Scott Manley.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yeah, except his job isn’t actually space YouTubing – that’s his second hobby after getting his private pilots license. I don’t think he would actually take a week or twelve off his day job and his family to do the prep and also go even if he really wanted to.
    Plus he hasn’t spent several years hanging around Starbase making puppy eyes at Elon, so it’s a low probability anyway.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    We all know they should send the Angry Astronaut. Nobody else could do the needed ranting when things go wrong.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Yeah, except his job isn’t actually space YouTubing – that’s his second hobby after getting his private pilots license. I don’t think he would actually take a week or twelve off his day job and his family to do the prep and also go even if he really wanted to.
    Plus he hasn’t spent several years hanging around Starbase making puppy eyes at Elon, so it’s a low probability anyway.

I mean to your first point I think he absolutely would take a week or twelve off of his day job to go orbit the moon.

Because it would mean he got to orbit the god damned moon.

But yes I also agree it wouldn't happen because Musk is Musk.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    They should send a flat earther and film their reaction

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Going to the moon is one of those things that would have me spend the rest of my days double-checking to make sure no family is around before answering 'What was the best day of your life?'

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Going to the moon is one of those things that would have me spend the rest of my days double-checking to make sure no family is around before answering 'What was the best day of your life?'

“Going around the moon” is one of those things your family should most definitely understand you answering with

• Options
    edited December 2022
    I would totally be Travis Mayweather, eager to tell everyone I've been in space. Did you know I was in space? I was in space. Let me tell you about the time I went to space.

NOBODY will ever want to talk to me again. Oh your kid got all As? Cool, that reminds me of the TIME I WENT TO SPACE."

Hevach on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

“Going around the moon” is one of those things your family should most definitely understand you answering with

If anything, their kids will have "Yeah? Well my dad went to THE MOON" in their pocket for any one-upping contests.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I also suspects Manley knows enough about how non-trivial rocket design is that he'd be hesitant to hop onto what's basically a test flight, especially given he's also going to be a teensy bit more open-eyed about the shortcuts Musk's companies take than the more focused SpaceX fans.
    emp123 wrote: »
    Their voice/speech pattern was way too uncanny valley for me, wasnt sure if I was listening to a person or a text-to-speech.

Its kinda cool they're 3D printing (almost) the whole thing though, but I know nothing about manufacturing or 3D printing so I'm just choosing to believe they're slow replicator-ing it.

It's definitely TTS. The channel has the usual setup for that sort of thing - a handful of videos, where the descriptions are three paragraphs (sometimes about the same thing, often not), and where the video itself is just reciting the descriptions. There's a whole industry's worth of those channels these days and they've gotten weirdly standardized.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

If anything, their kids will have "Yeah? Well my dad went to THE MOON" in their pocket for any one-upping contests.

Oh, great. I hope he doesn’t start telling me about crypto.