Options

Request: New sub-forum for talk about sports

I can't be the only one that thinks it's a little ridiculous that sports talk is spread across 2 different forums (Debate & Discourse and SE++) in different threads, that often contain much of the same people (at least this is true for NBA discussion, I am assuming it is for the other sports too). Instead, it'd be nice if a new sub-forum was created specifically to talk about sports and have all the existing threads moved there, to have one eventually become the dominant thread for that particular sport. I don't think from a technical standpoint it should be much work, there may be some overhead in terms of moderation requirements (e.g., needing moderators). I think there are enough people to keep it somewhat active too. Who else thinks this would be nice to have?

3ds: 4983-4935-4575

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    It'd be a forum with eight threads

NBA
    NFL
    MLB
    NHL
    F1/Motorsports
    College Basketball
    College Football
    Soccer

and while that's not necessarily a problem, I don't really see it as an improvement either?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    It'd be a forum with eight threads

NBA
    NFL
    MLB
    NHL
    F1/Motorsports
    College Basketball
    College Football
    Soccer

and while that's not necessarily a problem, I don't really see it as an improvement either?

MMA too. I envision it something like the Moe's Technology forum, which is probably less active than all the sports threads together. I'm just looking for some consolidation for the discussions.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I think it would make sense, but do keep in mind that SE++ is supposed to be the less formal chat forum, so you can have threads there that overlap with the threads in the on-topic forums. Just like most active MMOs also have a thread in SE++ (and which contains just as much on-topic discussion).

A sports forum could also have less active threads still more visible, like our D+D tennis thread that's mostly only active when a household name retires or sometimes during the Grand Slam season. Didn't we also have active fantasy football threads? It could also hold threads about the sports we do on our own, I think a bunch of us are working on our health and enjoying amateur sports, it would be nice to have a place to talk about all that.

We just desperately need to avoid the f-word (no not that fucking one, the other one) as it attracts whole hordes of spambots.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Felon musk?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I think it's fine the way it is, and if you look at the wildly different conversations happening in both subforums during, say, the 24 hours after the Buffalo Bills / Cincinnati Bengals Monday Night Football game, I think trying to house it all in one place is more likely to cause problems then solve any.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I don't think that "Lack of potential traffic" is a viable reason not to have a sub-forum.
    I mean, we have Graphic Violence, and it has two active threads, one of which is about toys. Outside of those two threads, the most recent post is from November, and less than a dozen rows down you can find threads not posted in since 2021.
    Or the Writers Block, which has maintained the same chat thread since 2015 (grats on reaching page 20!).

Granted, I've not got a dog in the fight, as I can count on one hand the number of times I've sought out and commented in a sports thread, but it seems like giving people a place to talk about their sports doesn't seem like a huge leap from setting up the Critical Failures forum for tabletop gaming.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Do you like the Penny-Arcade forums?

Their early subforums were a little too... new wave for my taste, but when Sports came out in '23 I think they really came into their own (commercially and artistically). The whole subforum has clear, crisp threads, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the discussions a big boost.

He's been compared to Tube, but I think DJ Eebs has a far more bitter, cynical sense of administration.

HEY TELMARINE

byynxjrzsr2u.jpg

TRY GETTING A SUBFORUM NOW YOU FRIENDLY SPORTSFAN BUDDY!

lby4rmy3j6eu.jpg

No but really though it sounds like a good idea

• Options
    Aldo wrote: »
    I think it would make sense, but do keep in mind that SE++ is supposed to be the less formal chat forum, so you can have threads there that overlap with the threads in the on-topic forums. Just like most active MMOs also have a thread in SE++ (and which contains just as much on-topic discussion).

A sports forum could also have less active threads still more visible, like our D+D tennis thread that's mostly only active when a household name retires or sometimes during the Grand Slam season. Didn't we also have active fantasy football threads? It could also hold threads about the sports we do on our own, I think a bunch of us are working on our health and enjoying amateur sports, it would be nice to have a place to talk about all that.

We just desperately need to avoid the f-word (no not that fucking one, the other one) as it attracts whole hordes of spambots.

True, with a separate forum, it wouldn't just have to be the so-called mega threads. Discussion could further be broken down into sub-topics, much like how Games & Technology does it.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Unless it was required to post in the new subforum I'd still be creating/posting the college football thread in SE++.

• Options
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Unless it was required to post in the new subforum I'd still be creating/posting the college football thread in SE++.

That would defeat the purpose of consolidation since there is fragmentation right now.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    TelMarine wrote: »

That would defeat the purpose of consolidation since there is fragmentation right now.

SE++ is very specifically not an on-topic forum so it's frequent for it to have threads in parallel with the on-topic forums except SE++ threads aren't going to see mod action because someone posting in the Bad Food thread posted pictures of their dog. I would not expect any consolidation to impact SE++ threads except where the participants move to the on-topic forum because they want to double-dip.

Orca on
  • Options
    Orca wrote: »

SE++ is very specifically not an on-topic forum so it's frequent for it to have threads in parallel with the on-topic forums except SE++ threads aren't going to see mod action because someone posting in the Bad Food thread posted pictures of their dog. I would not expect any consolidation to impact SE++ threads except where the participants move to the on-topic forum because they want to double-dip.

I understand that but then you could argue, why do the other forums even exist if SE++ has essentially become a duplicate of all them (I noticed this some years ago when a bunch of duplicate threads that were in G&T were showing up there). The forum isn't growing anymore (i don't think) and the user base is probably continuing to shrink, so why keep it all fractured. We need some consolidation, in my opinion, so we don't have the same people conducting conversations about the same topics in different forums. It has been mainly bugging me regarding sports (specifically NBA) because the number of people talking about it can't be more than 10-15, with the active number lower than that. I'd hazard a guess the same is true for all the other sports talk.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

I understand that but then you could argue, why do the other forums even exist if SE++ has essentially become a duplicate of all them (I noticed this some years ago when a bunch of duplicate threads that were in G&T were showing up there). The forum isn't growing anymore (i don't think) and the user base is probably continuing to shrink, so why keep it all fractured. We need some consolidation, in my opinion, so we don't have the same people conducting conversations about the same topics in different forums. It has been mainly bugging me regarding sports (specifically NBA) because the number of people talking about it can't be more than 10-15, with the active number lower than that. I'd hazard a guess the same is true for all the other sports talk.

Because SE++ threads are conversations, and can veer from topic topic like a drunken sailor (and frequently do). Other forums are more on-topic and can incur mod action for too much off-topic talk. It's a different space, and there isn't something special about sports that would make that exempt from how this forum is organized.

You're not going to get "SE++! For everything you want to talk about. Except sports, sports is special."

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    So

I can conceive of a world where this works. Basically you could decide sports are games, and then redo G&T to include all games and entertainment. So you'd have Moe's, you'd have a subforum for vidya, a subforum for board games maybe, and then like the DJ Eebs Tailgate Party at Animorphs Arena or something for sports threads.

But even then, SE is gonna have its own threads.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac